CAP Server Mini-Tournament Rules Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
this is not kept fully up to date, for a newer one look here http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38754

I have been doing Mini Tourneys for quite some time (long before the CAP server was up) but in a disorganized way, one at a time with the rules changing every time. DougJustDoug has asked me to serve as the Tournament Director for the CAP server, and I wanted to write down the rules for doing Mini-Tourneys so that other people can do them. I have also made a leader board of Tourney Victorys so we know how who wins a lot as well as how many tourneys are played.

Score Board:

Participant Leader Board:

Format: Tournament wins, Final Challenge wins

1. Alphabet_Soup 8, 3
2. Poopazing 6, 2

3. Spanky 4, 2

4. Plus 4, 1

4. Cooper 4, 1
4. Dixie Normans 4, 1
7. Ronjocox 4, 0
7. Feign 4, 0
7. Five 4, 0

10. Icyvegeta 3, 2
11. Super Trainer 3,1
11. Kespa 3, 1
11. Lil Ant 3, 1
11. Tekken7 3, 1
15. motson 2, 1
15. mr banana grabber 2, 1
15. DragonDance 2, 1
15. vegeta_ex 2, 1
15. Stallcia 2, 1
15. piledriver12300 2, 1
15. hybridherp 2, 1
15. Frosten 2, 1
23. Zenol 2, 0
FieryKai 2, 0
23. saud 2, 0
23. scsrhino 2, 0
23. alive 2, 0
23. Ranger Blue0 2, 0
23. Bass 2, 0
23. Burraki 2, 0
23. squirtleboy12 2, 0
23. Frosty 2, 0
23. Mudpie369 2, 0
23. Judge 2, 0
35. Brawley 1, 1
35. Pikapowow 1, 1
35. Ice hockey 1, 1
Zakkusu 1, 1
35. mien 1, 1
35. SSAJ 1, 1
35. isverygood 1, 1
35. mewthe 1, 1
42. Fetto 1, 0
42. Mr. Oak 1, 0
42. Matzrim Taim 1, 0
42. Itachi 2008 1, 0
Hybrid 1, 0
42. Evil Angel 1, 0
42. Mokkah (Mekkah on smogon) 1, 0
42. Luna 1, 0
42. cyberzero 1, 0
42. Cooley 1, 0

42. brock of pewter 1, 0
42. adam23 1, 0
42. (last....). eric the espeon 1, 0

4 player tourneys will give you one point, 8 player tourneys will give you 2, 16 will give 4, you get 1 FC point for winning a final challenge.
Final Challenges points act as tiebreakers.

Tournament Organizer Leader Board:

Format: Final Challenge Wins/Losses
1. eric the espeon 8/4

2. Bass 4/1

2. Hybrid 4/1
4. Aki 3/2
5. Cooper 1/0

5. Lil Ant 1/0
5. Plus 1/0
5. Spanky 1/0
9. Poopazing 5/5
10. IcyVegeta 3/3
11. mudpie369 2/2
12. Super Trainer 1/1
13. Tekken7 0/1
13. tennisace0227 0/1
13. Novatek 1/0
16. Magmorified 0/2
17. therealpele 0/4

Mini tournament rules (for participants):

Step 1: A approved tourney organizer that wants to organize a tourney will post something to this effect in the main chat:
Who wants to join a mini tourney? X spaces left.
Alternately you will see a similar message appearing in large red letters in every battle and the main chat, only sign up if you are near the end of your battle, or can play two at once.
Sign up by posting something like “me” or “im in” do so quickly as the places will fill fast, please do NOT sign up twice it makes it hard for us tourney organizers to work out who’s in, also do not sign up before they post the who wants to join message.

Step 2: The tourney organizers will pair you up with an opponent and post something like “master trainer V evil thing37 BEGIN” in the main chat, if you see your name there fight the person they say.

Step 3: Once you have completed a tournament battle you should always report in the main chat if you have lost or won. If you lost you are out, If you won you may need to wait for your opponent to finish their battle please DO NOT start a battle while waiting (unless you watch the main chat for pairings, and can play two battles at once) as it could hold up the whole tourney and may result in you being disqualified. Once you and your opponent have done your battles you will be paired up by the TO (touney organizer), repeat steps 2-3 till only one person remains in the competition.

Step 4: The last person will face a “final challenge” against one person (normally the TO who did the tourney) once this battle is over (even if you lose) your victory will be sent to every battle (by /wall) and recorded on a thread on Smogon <link to this thread>

Guide for organizing tournaments:

First you must be an approved tournament organizer, if you have been very active in mini tournaments and want to be one I will probably approve you unless we have enough.

4, 8 or 16 players may participate, if then tournament is bigger than 4 several tourney organizers may organize the tourney together by dividing the players into groups of 4. The first to sign up must be the ones who get let in (no you cant join before the tourney starts, or say “enter me in the next tourney”) unless they leave or start being incredibly stupid. You should not enter yourself in your own a tournaments unless you cant find enough people after some time.

Post a “Who wants to join a mini tourney? X spaces left.” type message, try to start with 4 player tournaments as the >8 player ones can be very confusing to do. If after about a minuet not enough people have signed up ask a mod (of if you are one just do it yourself) to do a /wall, make sure that you/they /wall the right thing with the right number of spaces available and say that first <number of spaces left> to sign up get in.

Once the tourney is full post saying "full" and then "Player A player B player G and player K are in" next pair up those who are in the tournament (you may do this however you like) and post “bulbazard14 V Super Trainer BEGIN!” messages for everyone in the tournament. You may post a "spotlight match" for people to watch.

Watch the main chat and the battles if you want to find out who wins, pair the winners up and tell them to battle. Repeat till only one player remains, when this happens tell them that they have won but there is a final challenge for them….. YOU. You must battle them (if more than one tourney organizer is doing the same tournament pick who it is) once that is over get a mod to (or if you can do it yourself) do a /wall saying something a bit like this “Player X has won an x player tournament, they also beat/lost the final challenge” you may add things like this “they are now first on this leader board <link>” or anything else you think fits.

Guide for team Tourneys:
(by Bass)

-To enter, each player must form a team with another player and inform the TO the name of their team-mate to enter.

-The tourney size is four teams, two people per team, making eight players total.

-Next, one member of each team is assigned as "captain". When the TO states the pairings, they will pair them by teams. The pairings will address them as "team captain" to keep organization simple.

-Once pairings are decided, the players decide amongst themselves who from each team they will face. In order to advance, a team must get two wins. (One player on each team battling the other). If there is a tie in the number of wins, a sudden death battle between the winning players on each team will decide which team advances to the next round.

-The team that wins must decide which player goes on to the final challenge. Only one player participates.

-Points won are shared between players on the winning team (For a 8 player tourney each player would get 1 point).

Standard Rules:
You may experiment with whatever rules you want for your Mini Tourney (UU, Mono Type, Random, whatever) but here are some for standard MT's, if you want to use different rules from these you must say so in your "who wants to sign up" post.

Shoddy clauses
Evasion Clase: ON
Extended Game: ON is better but does not matter.
Freeze Clause: OFF is better but does not matter.
Item Clause: OFF
Level Balence: OFF
OHKO Clause: ON
Random Battle: OFF
Sleep Clause: ON
Species Clause: ON is better but does not matter.
Strict Damage Clause: does not matter
Timed Battle: ON but if its off its ok, so long as people don't take extremely long.

I have put in so many "does not matter" clauses so that more battles will be allowed and TO's can just say "standard OU" and almost everyone will get the clauses right.

Other rules:

No Ubers: you may not use any Pokemon that is an Uber. (as many people come from shoddy ladder Deoxys-e and Wobbufet are allowed)

Self KO clause: you may not use self KOing attacks if you have only 1 Pokemon remaining. (I am thinking of removing this as in real battles it would be a draw, need some opinions)

No Scouting: you may not watch your opponents battles without permission (players are encouraged to let their opponents watch their opponents watch, but do not enter the battle of anyone who you may face in any currant tourney unless they have given you permission)

Approved Tournament Organisers (TOs):

eric the espeon

tennisace0227

poopazing

IcyVegetaAki
mudpie369
Lil Ant
Super Trainer
Magmortified
wargreyx
Tekken7
therealpele
Plus
Spanky

Hybrid
Luna
mewthe
Bass
hybridherp
Captain
Alphabet_Soup
Zenol

If you are on this list and do a tourney please record it then PM the results to me, if I am away (check my location) send it to DougJustDoug, he can edit into my post. If you can't use Smogon PM's or see me on Shoddy then you may tell me them via PM on Shoddy, just because I am on shoddy does not mean I know what happened and I will not always be watching the main chat, you must tell me via PM.

I prefer Smogon PMs so try to use Shoddy PMs only if you don't have a Smogon account, if your name is different on Smogon then please include your Shoddy name on Smogon PM's or I may use the wrong name.

Info I need:
1. How many people where in the MT?
2. Who won?
3. Did the winner of the tournament also win the final challenge?

I would like someone to help me to write a Mini Tourney FAQ, please post here if you can help.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I have asked eric to serve as the Tournament Director for the CAP server. We don't have any plans to run large tournaments like Smogon, but mini-tournaments are fun. They also have been very popular on the server and eric has done a great job of running them so far.

eric, I think you already have a few people selected for the Tournament Staff. Confirm their involvement via PM or otherwise and add their names to the top of your OP so people know who is authorized to organize mini-tourneys on the server.

eric the espeon

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I have not picked them all yet but Super Trainer, Lil Ant, wargreyx, mario3, tenisence and a few others are people I think could be mini-mods. also i am thinking of changeing the name to Tourney mods, it fits better.

edit: DJD posted as i wrote this.

We don't have any plans to run large tournaments like Smogon
I have plans! but i cant do it soon, maybe in a month or so i will check with a big Tourny mod if it would be ok.

eric, I think you already have a few people selected for the Tournament Staff. Confirm their involvement via PM or otherwise and add their names to the top of your OP so people know who is authorized to organize mini-tourneys on the server.
i will try to meet them on shoddy and ask them there, i plan to add there names.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
is that a mutilated variation of my name? if it is i'd be glad to help run it.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I have not picked them all yet but Super Trainer, Lil Ant, wargreyx, mario3, tenisence and a few others are people I think could be mini-mods. also i am thinking of changeing the name to Tourney mods, it fits better.
I don't want to throw around the term "mod" too much. People may start confusing them with server mods. Feel free to change the title, but don't call them mods or admins.

Also, include a section at the top of the OP that gives a little tournament overview. What is a mini-tournament? Why do we have them? etc...

eric the espeon

is that a mutilated variation of my name? if it is i'd be glad to help run it.
sorry... my spelling is bad... and yes i would like you to help organise mini tourneys.

I don't want to throw around the term "mod" too much. People may start confusing them with server mods. Feel free to change the title, but don't call them mods or admins.
fine... how about touney organisers? or TO's for short.

Also, include a section at the top of the OP that gives a little tournament overview. What is a mini-tournament? Why do we have them? etc...
i will try to write that when i get some time.

eric the espeon

talked to you on shoddy, and edited you in.

edit: found ST (Super Trainer) on the server, added him
edit 2: and maggy (magmortified)
edit3: wargryx added.

and come on people comment and improve.

tennisace

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
personally i think there should be a standard format to count for the standings. only eight man tournies should count, and your place on the leaderboard affects seed. this is how it would work: if the number one person on the leaderboard participates in the tourniment, he/she gets the number one seed. if the number one seed doesnt participate but the numbers two and three do, that means they get the numbers one and two seeds in the tourniment.

I disagree with people being encouraged to watch their opponent's battles. This gives an unfair advantage of seeing all or most of a team before you face it.

eric the espeon

personally i think there should be a standard format to count for the standings. only eight man tournies should count, and your place on the leaderboard affects seed. this is how it would work: if the number one person on the leaderboard participates in the tourniment, he/she gets the number one seed. if the number one seed doesnt participate but the numbers two and three do, that means they get the numbers one and two seeds in the tourniment.
i think my system is more easy to understand, and only alowing 8 player tourneys is a bad idea IMO 4 player ones are much easyer to organise and sometimes there are not enough people for 8 player one.

I disagree with people being encouraged to watch their opponent's battles. This gives an unfair advantage of seeing all or most of a team before you face it.
ahh i expected someone to say this, i also ment to write up my resoning in the OP but i did not have time yesterday so here it is:
Leting people watch their oponents battles serves a dual purpose:
1. it encourages people to get their battles done faster in three ways, they want to avoid leting the oponent seeing a bit of their team (and may want to see the oponents team) and more importaintly if you are watching your oponents battle you know who wins and can challenge them as soon as they finish reduceing the gap between battles. The third thing is it stops people from starting a diferent battle, as they can watch an interesting battle with their oponent in.
2. It induces a sence of community, well i think so anyway, i have seen as many as 10 people watching the same battle (and ofter 3-4 commenting on it) this gives the players incentive to play their best and makes it diferent from a standerd match where your oponent is picked at random and all you say is "hi" "gg" and the odd "HAXOR".

Normaly a person joining a battle would only see 2-4 of each persons Pokemon, and they would have to keep track of who had whitch, its not that much of an advantage in reality.

Also it would be hard to stop if we tryed to enforce it, TO's would have to watch every battle and explain to each person the caught why they cant watch the battles.

thats why.

Can I be one? X Assassin on Shoddy!
Have you even been in a Mini Tourney? i dont think you have been in one of mine..... participate in a few first, then maybe.

I need opinions about if i should include Tenisssace's 16 player Mono Type tourney, i would say yes and give 4 points to the winner (Five) but i want to know what you lot think.

tennisace

ok. it was a normal tourny with 16 people. and you spelled my name wrong again. t-e-n-n-i-s-a-c-e-0-2-2-7. but anyways, i think all the mods should be on the list to run tournies, rather than be selective. if we're trusted enough to be mods, why can we all run tournies? i agree with your list of non mods though. also, i would like to run a mono-type or mono-region tourniment in the near future. i'd assign types for each round of course.

eric the espeon

ok. it was a normal tourny with 16 people.
I think it should be included, i just want to check with other people if they think mono-type tourneys should be alowed.

and you spelled my name wrong again. t-e-n-n-i-s-a-c-e-0-2-2-7.
realy? i copy-pasted this from the OP
Tennisace0227
the only change is the T was a t. i have edited this.

but anyways, i think all the mods should be on the list to run tournies, rather than be selective. if we're trusted enough to be mods, why can we all run tournies?
well.... some mods have little/no interest in runing tourneys, and i expect if they are on the list people will see them on the server and bug them about starting a tourney. If a mod wants to be a TO i will let them but i dont want to put them all in automaticly.

i agree with your list of non mods though. also, i would like to run a mono-type or mono-region tourniment in the near future. i'd assign types for each round of course.
i think this is great, i like difernt forms of battle but i just want to see if anyone has objections to them being put on the scoreboard. I will add them on tomorow if no-one has objected.

to everyone i have made a few edits to the OP over the last few days please re-read it and PLEASE make suggestions to help improve it.

did you read my explenation? post 14 in this thread.

maybe i could change it to
You are alowed to watch your opponents battle if bored.
I read the explanation, and your suggested amendment is just as bad. There should be no Scouting allowed whatsoever in a tournament. You likely don't realize it, but by introducing the Scouting rule, you are shifting the metagame unnaturally towards offensive suicide-sweep teams, something you should not be doing. Tournament rules should be unbiased in nature, but yours currently advertise that its a waste of time to even bother entering with a defensive team, or any team with a specific goal behind it.

eric the espeon

I read the explanation, and your suggested amendment is just as bad. There should be no Scouting allowed whatsoever in a tournament. You likely don't realize it, but by introducing the Scouting rule, you are shifting the metagame unnaturally towards offensive suicide-sweep teams, something you should not be doing. Tournament rules should be unbiased in nature, but yours currently advertise that its a waste of time to even bother entering with a defensive team, or any team with a specific goal behind it.
The mini tourneys are not as competive in the way that big ones are, its just a bit of fun and any small advanteges you get from seeing a couple of members of you oponents team are unimportaint, avoiding delays and stoping people from being board is much more importaint IMO.

maybe for 16 player ones it is diferent but for 4 and 8 player ones this is what i think.

I do agree with Stall, that rule is really bad. I'd actually make a rule AGAINST scouting, not promoting it. Just by seeing one of the opponent team members, you have a very big advantage.

Say you see they have a Heatran. And when you fight them they lead with a Roserade and you with an Azelf. Are you going to Flamethrower Roserade? I don't think so, because that's the obvious move, and a perfect opportunity for Heatran to come in with a boost.

Unless that rule disappears, I wouldn't even bother registering the tournament rankings here, because those rankings would have little value.

eric the espeon

Ok i will remove that rule, but i am very reluctant to add a no scouting rule. it is hard to impose and IMO not very useful.

tennisace

if it makes you feel better eric, i will PERSONALLY watch for scouting in every tourniment i am not in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)