CAP Server Mini-Tournament Rules Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd take out the OVER 9000!!! and the !!!!!!!!1111 before new people get any ideas about copying it all over Smogon. Otherwise it looks fine.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
i like it. good job.
great!

I'd take out the OVER 9000!!! and the !!!!!!!!1111 before new people get any ideas about copying it all over Smogon. Otherwise it looks fine.
mmmk. that was Bass.
What about the bit about tennis's cookes (Tennisace0227 gives cookies to winners. However, he holds all the cookies in a secret underground base.) ? other than tennis who thinks they should stay/go? im kinda nutral atm

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
regardless of whether the populace knows if i give out cookies to winners or not ill still give out cookies. see? mekkah, try a cookie--> (::)

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
I am a little sad to see the "OVER 9000!" bit cut out. But I guess its removal doesn't take anything away from the guide, and if it's for the better, I am cool with it.

I am glad that my guide got integrated though, thanks for the feedback.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I am a little sad to see the "OVER 9000!" bit cut out. But I guess its removal doesn't take anything away from the guide, and if it's for the better, I am cool with it.

I am glad that my guide got integrated though, thanks for the feedback.
Obscure DBZ quotes just don't do it for me, but it was cleverly appropriate. A little too cheeky for a rules guide like this...

Great job on writing this up.

Can someone please tell the TO's to be a bit more careful with their tournament walls? When I see a wall like: "tourni 3 spotss left pm JOe" -- it just looks like crap. Remember that walls go to every active battle on the server. Misspelled half-ass walls like that are not only annoying, but confusing as well. If the TO isn't willing to spell, capitalize, and punctuate an announcement -- then I don't want to see it walled to every client on the server. I realize typos happen -- but garbage like I posted above, is just ridiculous.

An appropriate wall for the above would be, "The mini-tournament has 3 spots left. Please PM Joe, if you are interested in joining."

And don't send a million walls for every tournament. One wall to announce is usually all it takes. Perhaps, send one more recruiting wall, if it's a big tourney that is nearly full.

eric the espeon

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yea I agree Walls must be done right, I think something to stop people from posting "MONO STARTER TOURNEY, PM <TO> TO JOIN" repetedly (sometimes 6-9 times) when no one is joining would be good.

I will fix it sometime soonish.

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
Ok, a recent trend that is occurring on the server has somewhat disturbed me. I have noticed that a lot of people (I will not mention names) have started tournaments even though they were not approved TO's. Traditionally, most of us believe that you MUST be an approved TO to start a tournament, and have punished people for breaking this rule. However, these users argue that they are not breaking any rules since the tournaments that they run will not count towards leaderboard rankings. Some mods have become a bit lax about this and let these people slide. Thus, I think we need to make a clear cut policy towards starting tournaments once and for all and determine if allowing anyone to start one at a whim is acceptable.

What do you guys think?

P.S. Have the Veteran TO selection rules been written yet?

IggyBot

!battle
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As I am one of the main individuals that you have mentioned Bass, I really do not see any harm in allowing unofficial tournaments to take place. In fact, I'm in great support, since it gives players a chance to practice and test teams, while not actually counting towards the tournament ranking on the server.

In that case, it should clearly be mentioned whether it is for the ranking board or not.

Here's another series of great trends I've seen: people leaving after signing up, people changing their names, people rejecting challenges, people PMing me "who am I facing", people saying "in" after I said it's full...

God, people are dumb.

Ok, a recent trend that is occurring on the server has somewhat disturbed me. I have noticed that a lot of people (I will not mention names) have started tournaments even though they were not approved TO's. Traditionally, most of us believe that you MUST be an approved TO to start a tournament, and have punished people for breaking this rule. However, these users argue that they are not breaking any rules since the tournaments that they run will not count towards leaderboard rankings. Some mods have become a bit lax about this and let these people slide. Thus, I think we need to make a clear cut policy towards starting tournaments once and for all and determine if allowing anyone to start one at a whim is acceptable.

What do you guys think?
In the very least, these people need to state the tourney is not official or make it very obvious it does not count for points. I'm not sure what to say about whether it should be allowed in any way. These unofficial tournaments could be used for practice but if you really wanted practice tourneys, practice tourney could always become a TO option. I'd think part of the reason we select TOs instead of letting anyone host a tourney is because they're competent enough at organizing to represent us. People will be unhappy with our MT invitations if a fake TO royally screws it up. Think it sounds silly? Read Mekkah's post. However, that argument only stands if it's not obvious the tournament is being held by someone who's not an actual TO. As long as these two concerns are effectively addressed, there is no danger, at least to us, of these unofficial tourneys. I hope I effectively thought and typed this over.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I am against non-TOs starting mini-tournaments on the CAP server.

However, if the presiding moderator allows it, then I feel it can be allowed.

No need for an absolute type rule here...just they are discouraged unless the non TO speaks directly to a moderator. If Iggybot had asked me, I would have said no.

I mean yes ;D

eric the espeon

Bass, DJD has PMd me about this, his opinion is that non TOs should not be alowed to start MTs, in the past I have been lax about this but I agree with him.

Iggybot, As it stands it is not hard to become a TO, why not just ask to become one?

Here's another series of great trends I've seen: people leaving after signing up, people changing their names, people rejecting challenges, people PMing me "who am I facing", people saying "in" after I said it's full...

God, people are dumb.
mmm thats why orginizeing MTs is not as easy as most people think. I dont think there is an easy solution to these other than staying polite and explaining what to do.

Captain, I think we should have some sort of guidelines about who is alowed to orginize MTs, we need to have some sort of test or the MTs will be of poor quality (the orginizer leaveing, trying to do a 6 player tourney whatever).

Aldaron I dont think we should vary the rules depending on which mod is online, nor should we vary it acording to who is well known I think all non-TOs should not be alowed to orginize tournaments untill:

1. They have been approved (guidelines needed)
2. A veteren TO has watched them orginize a test tourney, and they did it well enough (a few minor mistakes are ok, but leaveing in the middle or DQing randomly is not).

non-TOs who orginize tourneys should be warned by a mod, then banned for a day if they start another one.

Once we have full guidelines for approveing TOs up I will ask for all currant TOs to reapply for TOship, this is because I have had complaints about several of the TOs.

I would like advice/help writeing the guidelines, however I will not be done with exams till 20th of june, I will also be away from the 27th of june till the 4th of july so it may be some time till they are compleated.
I may have time before the end if exams but I doubt it, maybe a rough vertion though.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm glad eric mentioned revamping our TO guidelines and roster. As of late, many mini-tournaments are very poorly organized. We need to clean it up.

Here's a PM I sent eric on the subject of non-TO's running tournies:

Someone on the server mentioned something that led me to believe that maybe we aren't on the same page regarding tournaments. So, just to clarify: Tournaments on the CAP server can only be hosted by TO's. I don't want other people randomly hosting tournaments. Even if the results "don't count".

Tournaments are a big part of the community we are building on the server. I think the rules and results are a very cool way to build community spirit. That gets compromised when users see a random assortment of "official" and "unofficial" tournies.

There are plenty of TO's. If someone wants a tourney, they don't have to look too far to find a TO. I also want the TO's to feel a sense of privilege being a TO. That is compromised if anyone can run a tourney.

Maybe you are already enforcing this. If not, then let's let everyone know that only tournament staff are allowed to host tournies.

Doug
If we don't have good TO's that run well-organized tournaments, then this whole concept breaks down. Without naming names -- I think many of the current TO's aren't doing a very good job. We need to address that problem soon.

If someone can step up and help make some guidelines, it would be a big help.

There are two things I plan to program to help with tournies:

1. Program HAL to list current logged on TO's. That way, it will be very easy to find out who is available to run a tourney. This is easy to program, and I'll do it soon.

2. Program a bot to help organize tournaments. I've already reserved the account "Tournament", for this purpose. The Tournament Bot would keep track of entries, post matchups, and wall announcements and winners. Possibly, it could even monitor matches to automatically track winners. If I go that far, it could possibly prevent scouting (even by IP address!).
Right now, I am spending most of my time working on the Smogon Damage Calculator, which is a big project. I can code #1 soon, but the Tournament Bot won't happen until after the Damage Calc is done.

For a bot, I'm not sure how easily it would be to implement this into Shoddy (though I believe it isn't too hard in standard programming, not sure how fickle Shoddy is though), but how about just an oranizing bot?

• Access is only for TO's and higher.
  • TO announces a tournament, gets the names of however many people are entering (all tournaments should have a number equal to some integer power of 4).
  • TO activates the Organizer Bot, inputs the number of players (only accepts interger power of 4 numbers, up to either 32 or 64 I suppose?), which will be called "X".
  • TO inputs the names of each player. A matrix variable of [1,X] and a RNG between 1 and X is now used. Each value in the matrix variable begins with it's own number (ie: [1,4] is 4, [1,8] is 8, etc). The RNG takes the number out of the matrix, shifts the matrix (so that if 6 were generated, [1,6] would now have a value of 7. If 3 was then generated, [1,3], [1,4], and [1,5] would be one lower than before, and [1,6] would be 8.)
  • The player is then assigned that number slot in the brackets. Continue until each of the X slots are filled.
  • Players play their matches, and the TO inputs the winner of each match-up. Once each match in the bracket is complete, the TO manually tells the bot to go to the next round.
  • Continue until complete. Once the final match has been completed, the TO manually tells the bot that the tournament is over. It will know who the winner is.
  • It could even go one step further, and once it's over record into a permanent variable matrix of [3,Y] the name of the TO, the time the tournament ended, and who the winner was. This way the TO wouldn't have to report to eric. Just grant eric access to few that variable matrix, and allow him to clear it as need be. Just make sure that, when eric or whoever checks it, a tournament isn't actively going on.
While it doesn't prevent scouting or auto record matches, it would be MUCH simpler to code.

tennisace

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
in regard to the non-to's starting tournaments, i haven't seen it, but would probably do it on a case by case basis. If i saw someone like Iggybot try to do it, i'd say yes. if i saw someone who was causing problems on the server try to do it, i'd say no.

If non-to's (any) can start tournaments... what's the point of a TO, exactly? If someone wants to start a tournament, they need to either ask a TO to start one, or become a TO themselves.

IggyBot

!battle
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mekkah said:
In that case, it should clearly be mentioned whether it is for the ranking board or not.
I completely agree. Obviously, the organizer of any unofficial tournament should clearly state the the tournament is unofficial, and will not affect the rankings at all.

aldaron said:
However, if the presiding moderator allows it, then I feel it can be allowed.

No need for an absolute type rule here...just they are discouraged unless the non TO speaks directly to a moderator. If Iggybot had asked me, I would have said no
You meanie! >_>

Honestly though, while I know I am not involved in the CaP project, I have been visiting the server more and more frequently. Hosting unofficial tournaments is a great way for practice, like I said. However, you mention something about the presiding moderator, which I think is a great idea.

Eric the Espeon said:
Iggybot, As it stands it is not hard to become a TO, why not just ask to become one?
At the time, there were no moderators on the server, and I felt like hosting a small series of fun tournaments. They caused no harm, and I fell they all went very smoothly, except for Beef constantly harassing me. I will apply to become a TO, but I really see no harm in running unofficial tournaments, especially if a moderator approves as aldaron mentioned above.

Dane said:
If non-to's (any) can start tournaments... what's the point of a TO, exactly? If someone wants to start a tournament, they need to either ask a TO to start one, or become a TO themselves.
Official Tournament Organizers are a great idea to have, especially since the CaP server has an official ranking and leaderboard. Having approved organizers to run these tournaments that affect the official rankings is something that needs to be put into place.

eric the espeon

If we don't have good TO's that run well-organized tournaments, then this whole concept breaks down. Without naming names -- I think many of the current TO's aren't doing a very good job. We need to address that problem soon.
yea.. I wish I had more time

If someone can step up and help make some guidelines, it would be a big help.
Agreed, can someone try to write something up, I will look over it and maybe make a few edits.

Program HAL to list current logged on TO's. That way, it will be very easy to find out who is available to run a tourney. This is easy to program, and I'll do it soon.
mmmm sounds good, will it have a feature that only veteran TOs can access with "add TO" and "remove TO" and maybe one for me with "Promote TO" and "Demote TO".
And can you make it so non-TOs are able to ask for a list of on-line TOs?

This is my idea of an ideal TObot:

TO tells Tourney bot to start a x player tourney
Tourney bot walls "PM me to join a x player OU tourney" and accepts those who PM it first. Alternatively it could say "say "in" in the main chat to join".
Tourney bot posts who is in the tourney in the main chat.
Tourney bot posts pairings, TO will watch the matches to see who won and tell the Tourney bot.
Tourney bot posts pairing for the next round.
repeat till only one player is left.
TO does the final challenge.
Tourney bot prompts the TO to record the tourney.
TO tells the Tourney bot something like "Record tourney <winners name> <size of tourney> <Final Challenge Won/Lost>"

At a later time I can tell the Tourney bot to list MT results, then erase MT results once I have recorded them.

From the little I know of programming it would be quite hard to get the Tourney bot to watch battles and record the wins automaticly, if i am wrong please correct me.

And its fine if you don't do the Tourney bot soon, it can wait.

in regard to the non-to's starting tournaments, i haven't seen it, but would probably do it on a case by case basis. If i saw someone like Iggybot try to do it, i'd say yes. if i saw someone who was causing problems on the server try to do it, i'd say no.
I really dont see why Iggybot or any other user can't just become a TO if they want to run tourneys, and I don't want to be making exceptions to the rule.

At the time, there were no moderators on the server, and I felt like hosting a small series of fun tournaments. They caused no harm, and I fell they all went very smoothly, except for Beef constantly harassing me. I will apply to become a TO, but I really see no harm in running unofficial tournaments, especially if a moderator approves as aldaron mentioned above.
mmm really it would have been better to plan ahead apply to become a TO before starting MTs, but considering the currant lack of guidelines and the fact that ATM you have to wait for me to be on-line before you can become a TO its not a big problem.
However once we have a team of veteran TOs who have guidelines for approving new TOs it would be better to have a blanket ban on non TOs starting MTs IMO. I know that you are a well respected member of Smogon and a sure you can handle running a MT but where would we draw the line on who to allow automaticly? It is far easier to simply say that you must be approved to run a tourney.

Agreeing with this.

edit: Bass is working on guidelines for approving TOs, when done it will be posted here for comment and improvement.

IggyBot

!battle
One more question I have. Why are TO's allowed to watch the final match, if they battle the winner? Scouting is banned from tournaments, so why is this allowed?

tennisace

its technically not allowed, and i dont do it in my tournaments unless like today im not the final challenge. eric should add this to the rules.

eric the espeon

Iggybot said:
One more question I have. Why are TO's allowed to watch the final match, if they battle the winner? Scouting is banned from tournaments, so why is this allowed?
Bass brought this issue up on the previous page
Bass said:
Well, I have organized nearly ten tournaments during my past four days as a Tournament organizer, and I personally feel the no scouting rule is necessary, for obvious reasons. Of course, if tennisace0227 or some other mod isn't on to enforce it, I usually watch each match myself not only to stop scouting but to verify the results. Of course, the downside to that is that I end up scouting myself since I fight in the final match. It's a tough compromise, but winning the tournament is more important than winning the final match.
My answer to this problem is that having the TO see your battle may give them a (small) advantage but after all the FC is intended to be though, and its not like giving one player an advantage over the others, they have won the MT already.
Another thing is that though many TOs are in the battles few of us have time to watch in any detail.
If a participant is extremely worried about the TO "scouting" they can do one of two things
1. Ask the TO leave or not to join their battle.
2. Use a different team for the final challenge.

tennis said:
its technically not allowed, and i dont do it in my tournaments unless like today im not the final challenge. eric should add this to the rules.
No this is wrong, the TO is allowed to watch any match they like unless one of the participants has asked them not to.

My problem is with NON-TO's running tournies is
-often they are ran during official tournies and two tournies running at the same time is just to much
-during the peak(busiest part) of the day there are already official tournies going once one tourny is over, we don't need everyone running a tourny
-most non-to's have no idea what they are doing and causes more chaos and more spam in the main chat (can I join, how many spots are left, I won, I lost, what are the rules, I call HAX, he cheated, can I join, I want to join, etc.) But the rare occasion that a non-TO knows what they are doing, should be to's
-If anyone can run a tourny it takes away the meaning of being a TO, it's like being the president when everyone can set laws

that's my arguement, if I think of more things to say i will say them

eric the espeon

agreeing with pretty much all beef said.

I asked Bass to write up some guidelines for new TOs, here is what he has done, edits in bold.

Code:
[CENTER][B][SIZE=3][SIZE=4]Mini-Tournament FAQ[/SIZE][/SIZE][/B]

[SIZE=3][SIZE=1]By Bass, Eric the Espeon and Tennisace0227[/SIZE][/SIZE][/CENTER]

Greetings to all patrons of Doug’s Create-a-Pokemon project, since eric needs help in writing a more comprehensive guide for our server’s age old favorite pastime that is Mini-Tournaments, with nearly fifteen of them under my belt, I would like to help out by answering some frequently asked questions about them.

[B]Guide for Tournament participants:[/B]
Q: What is a mini-tournament?
A: A mini-tournament is exactly what its name implies. It is a relatively small and casual tournament ranging from four to sixteen players. It isn’t like a traditional tournament on Smogon that lasts for a few weeks, but rather a short and simple tournament that lasts for usually fifteen to thirty minutes. It’s a long-standing tradition on Doug’s Create-a-Pokemon server that flourishes in part to the closeness and dedication of the Create-a-Pokemon community. 

Q: How do I enter a mini-tournament?
A: Simple. Wait for an approved TO to type in the main chat that they are starting a tournament. If you are in the middle of a battle, a mod or driver may assist the TO and wall (send a message to all users) that a tournament is about to start. If you plan on entering, simply give them a PM (Right click the TO’s name on the users list and select “Private Message”.) and tell them that you want to enter the tournament. If there are spots left, the TO should PM you a confirmation that you are in the tournament. Some TO's use a different method of signing up, they will say "Sign up in the main chat" if they say that you dont need to PM them, just send a message in the main chat saying you want to sign up.

Q: Wait, what’s a TO?
A: A TO is a tournament organizer. For more information on how to become one, see the second section of this guide.

Q: What are the rules?
A: The rules of a tournament are always up to the TO. However, if they do not state any rules, then, and I cannot emphasize this enough, [B]Always assume the rules are Standard/OU tier.[/B] 

Q: What are the standard rules?
A: Whenever you battle an opponent in a standard/OU tournament, make sure the following clauses are checked:
Evasion Clause: ON
Extended Game: OFF is better but does not matter.
Freeze Clause: ON is better but does not matter.
Item Clause: OFF
Level Balance: OFF
OHKO Clause: ON
Random Battle: OFF
Sleep Clause: ON
Species Clause: ON is better but does not matter.
Strict Damage Clause: OFF is better but it does not matter.
Timed Battle: ON, to ensure all battles are completed in a reasonable amount of time.
Self-KO Clause: (Not actually programmed into shoddy)
No Ubers (Refer to Smogon tier lists. “Limbo” is considered OU for the sake of simplicity).
In addition to these clauses, NO SCOUTING has become a mandatory rule. 

Q: What is scouting?
A: Scouting is when a player that is participating in the tournament is intentionally watching a battle between other players in the tournament in order to get an idea of what team they are using. This gives the “scouter” an unfair advantage since they would have an idea of what they would be going up against in later rounds. If you are caught in this act, you will be given a warning to leave the battle. If you do not heed it, you will be disqualified indefinitely. Note that if you have been eliminated or are not in the tourney, it is perfectly fine to watch any remaining battles in the tournament.

Q: Are you allowed to use the new Pokemon in the Mini Tournaments?
A: Of course. Its the CaP server so you may use them unless the rules for that Tourney do not permit it, an example would be a UU tourney, all CaP Pokemon are considered OU.

Q: What if I didn’t enter the tournament in time?
A: All you can do is wait for another tournament to start. Some TO’s might grant you permission to join as a sub so if a player does not show up for their match you can take their place. [I].[/I]

Q: Ok, so can you explain to me the structure of each tournament?
A: After enough people have entered, the TO will post random pairings for the first round. Once you know who your opponent is, it is your responsibility to communicate an with him or her IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE TO SAYS “BEGIN!” After each player battles their opponent, they must inform the TO of the result. Once all results are in, the losers are eliminated and the pairings for the next round are posted, this process repeats until one winner is left standing.

Q: Is there any prize for winning?
A: There is no real prize for winning a mini-tournament other than heightened fame and glory…for about five minutes, some TOs will send a /wall announcing your victory and your place on the leaderboard. (Tennisace0227 gives cookies to winners. However, he holds all the cookies in a secret underground base.) The whole purpose of a mini-tournament is to have fun. True glory, however, goes to the player that wins their final challenge.

Q: What’s a final challenge?
A: A final challenge is a final battle that the winner of the tournament must compete in. The opponent is usually the TO, though the TO is allowed to designate anyone he or she wants as the final challenge opponent. Winning nets you twice the glory, of course.

Q: I won a Tourney but my points have not been added...
A: This is a big problem if this has happened to you please talk to the TO who did the tourney and remind them to tell me. If you have done this (and waited a reasonable amount of time for them to send it and me to update) and your points have not been added contact me or one of the veteran TOs and we will talk to the TO involved.

Q: I cant win anything... what should I do?
A: Read some of Smogons guides, and play a lot until you get better. You could also sign up to the Smogon tutor/apprentice program, it can help a lot.

Q: The TO left in the middle of a tourney...
A: TOs should [B]NEVER[/B] leave without finishing the tourney unless they can find someone to take over the running of the tourney. Try to ask a different TO to run it, if none are around then the tourney is pretty much over... sorry.

Q: Is there a leaderboard?
A: Yes there is. Rankings on the leaderboard are determined by a point system. 1, 2, and 4 points are rewarded for winning four, eight, and sixteen player tournaments respectively. Final challenge wins are worth an additional bonus point and are separate from main tournament points. It is the TO’s responsibility to PM eric the espeon and keep the results up to date. If they forget, PM the TO remind them.

[B]Guide for Tournament Organizers (TOs):[/B]

Q: What is a TO?
A: A tournament organizer is a user approved by Doug’s Create-a-Pokemon administration to organize mini-tournaments. 

Q: Why should I become a TO?
A: Since Mini-Tournaments cannot begin without the presence of a TO, users of the CAP server will greatly appreciate it when you give up some of your time to host a tournament. You will grow more involved in the CAP server as a whole, and in turn, you will gain the respect of many users.

Q: How do I become a TO?
A: The process is relatively simple. PM eric the espeon or any Veteran TO (see the list below) (on Doug’s Server or Smogon) if you are interested in becoming a TO. You will probably become approved and added to the list as long as you have been somewhat active in mini-tournaments.

Q: YEAAAAAH! I AM A TO!! Uhh, wait, what do I do next?
A: Indeed, now that you are a TO, you are probably unsure of how to make the best use of your newly acquired privilege. Here are some additional rules/tips that TO’s should follow.[LIST]
[*]Before starting a tournament, always, and I mean always, STATE THE RULES. I have had several problems in the past where users were unclear about what the rules of the tournament were, and some battles had to be redone. Even if it’s a standard tourney, say it.
[*]Now look at what is going on in the server. How many people are on? Pay close attention and determine how big your tournament should be. Don’t try to start an eight-man tournament if only a few people are on, and never start a four-man tournament when a lot of people are on, or else you’ll have a lot of disappointing customers.
[*]Next, in CAPS (If you are an approved TO, the moderators won’t mind), type “PM ME TO JOIN (4, 8, or 16) MAN TOURNEY”, At the best case scenario, the required number of people will have read your message and immediately join. However, this is usually not the case. If you are having trouble at attracting participants, than you can ask a moderator or a driver to wall “PM (TO) to join tourney”, since walling will send your message to all users. Sometimes you will not be able to get enough people for the size of tourney you planed if so make it smaller and if you cant find 4 people its not a good time for an MT.
[*]Once you have enough people, you will need to create pairings. [B]DO NOT CLOSE YOUR PMs.[/B] Keeping PM tabs up helps you keep track of who is in the tournament. There are several pairing generators available, including Smogon made ones in the Tournament forum. If you cannot download them, then do your best to make the pairings on the top of your head. Try to avoid prejudice in your decisions.
[*]State the pairings in the Main Chat. Again in CAPS. (Anything you type in the main chat related to your tournament should be in CAPS). Then give the players the cue to start by saying “BEGIN!”
[*]At this point, sit tight and wait for the battles to finish. It is recommended that you watch each battle to see if everything is going smoothly. Make sure everyone PM’s you their results. If players don’t start their battles, remind them who their opponent is through PM. You can also highlight key battles in the main chat to attract spectators.
[*]If things aren’t working out, be assertive! Act tough! Remind the participants that you are the boss, but be sure to remain calm and act in your best judgment to resolve any disputes. Usually, you should disqualify any player that is caught breaking the rules. If someone leaves without having their battle give them about a minute to return (it may be connection problems). If you DQ someone try to find a sub to replace them, do not use people who were/are in the tourney as subs.
[*]Once the first round of battles is complete, verify the winners through your PM’s. Then state your next set of pairings, and repeat until a winner is decided.
[*]Now, as the TO, you must face the winner in the final challenge battle, following the same rules that your participants followed.
[*]Once the tournament is over, PM eric the espeon the results so the leaderboard gets updated. It is your responsibility to be honest about the results. Always include the following in your PM:[/LIST][LIST]
[*]Number of Players
[*]Main Tournament Winner
[*]Final Challenge Winner[/LIST]As you host more tournaments, memorizing this procedure should become second nature to you. But a few questions remain.

[B]Q: I am not a TO, can I start a tournament?
A: No.

Q: But I am not going to make the results official or anything...!
A: No buts. The purpose of the TO system is to ensure that only people who have demonstrated their maturity and responsibility on the Create-a-Pokemon server can organize a tournament. If you really think that you are qualified to organize a tournament, than apply to become a TO yourself.[/B]

Q: Can I host a tournament while another one is going on?
A: While there is no rule that prevents you from doing so, it is common courtesy to wait your turn before starting a tournament. It makes it easier for the TO that is running the tournament in progress to keep track of results, as well as give more opportunities for people to participate again.

Q: Do TO’s have a leaderboard?
A: Yes, their ranking is based on final challenge wins (1 point per win or loss, your wins – losses determines your overall ranking).

Q: Hey, you said TO’s can make the rules, to what extent?
A: Any. You can make UU tournaments, Uber tournaments, tag team tournaments (see below), even Random Tournaments! Get creative! Users will like it when you give them the opportunity to participate in several types of tournaments[B], [/B]however it is harder to get people to sign up for a tourney if they have to make a new team so things like "mono NFE" or "mono starter" will be hard to do.

Q: What is a Tag-team tournament?
A: Here’s a brief guide:[LIST]
[*]To enter, each player must form a team with another player and inform the TO the name of their team-mate to enter.
[*]The tourney size is four teams, two people per team, making eight players total.
[*]Next, one member of each team is assigned as "captain". When the TO states the pairings, they will pair them by teams. The pairings will address them as "team captain" to keep organization simple.
[*]Once pairings are decided, the players decide amongst themselves who from each team they will face. In order to advance, a team must get two wins. (One player on each team battling the other). If there is a tie in the number of wins, a sudden death battle between the winning players on each team will decide which team advances to the next round.
[*]The team that wins must decide which player goes on to the final challenge. Only one player participates.
[*]Points won are shared between players on the winning team (For a 8 player tourney each player would get 1 point).[/LIST]Q: What are the different classes of TO?
A: New is for TOs who have not done many Mini Tournaments and don't know that much about how to do them.
Semi-Experienced is for those who have done a few Mini Tournaments and generally know what do do.
Veteran is for TOs who know very well what to do, they have been active in discussing Mini Tournaments, are often good battlers and have participated in and organized many Mini Tournaments, Veteran TOs will be able to approve new TOs.

[B]Q: I am a veteran TO, and someone is asking me to be a TO, what should I do?
A: Approve him if you know that he or she has been active in Mini-Tournaments and is capable of running tournaments of their own. If you are not sure, you can always refer to the scoreboard and get a good idea of how much they have participated. Once you approve them, you can PM eric the espeon any TO's that you have appointed so he can update the list. [/B]

Q: I have heard a rumor about an upcoming "Mini Tournament bot", is this true?
A: Yes. There is a possibility that DougJustDoug will program a Mini Tournament bot for the CaP server, but please do not pester him about it.

Q: I have read your guide, but still have questions, what should I do?
A: If you are on the server, ask the resident TO for some advice. He or she should usually be able to help you.

Hopefully, this guide answers some, if not all of your questions regarding mini-tournaments.
my reply was:
Its not exactly what I had in mind for guidelines, I was thinking of having a test tourney where the new TO did an MT with the veteran TO watching to see if they did it right, the bit about non-TOs doing tourneys is fine though.

I will try to make the relevant changes today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)