CAP Server Mini-Tournament Rules Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Right tennis you want a clear out now? Well we could have a bi-monthly clear-out with the first one being at the end of this month (in 4 days) that gives us time to improve the testing system.
Agreeing that applicants need to have a Smogon account, also Goldsaber now has one so you don't need to send them for him any more Captain, thank you for doing it for him while he needed help.

Sending results should be part of the test I will add it.

Who to test:

Only test people who you know of as reasonably active and preferably have been in a couple of your MTs so you know how they act, if they have not ask if someone you know can vouch for them.

The TO test

Before the test give them a link to the FAQ and tell them to read it IN FULL, give them time and say that they can take the test another day if they don't have time to read it.
You should also check that they have an Activated Smogon account so they can give me results, don't test them unless they have one.

1. Battle them. They would not have to win (or even do well at all), just prove that they had a general grip on the game and are not a total n00b. If they fail here direct them to the Smogon analysis, and apprentice program.

2. Ask them to do a 8 player MT. Watch the tourney and give them advice on what to do if something goes wrong. If they make small mistakes but listen to your advice let them pass, if they don't listen or make big mistakes fail them. Whether they pass or fail tell me, if they fail I will put them on a "may not reapply until X date" list. Send me the results for the tourney whether they pass or fail.
If they pass remind them to record and send me the results, I will only add them to the approved TO list once I have received their first set of results, and confirmation from a VTO that they did a test tourney.

3. Those who pass will be able to do MTs until the next clear out, but if someone complains about them they are liable to lose that ability.

I have done quite a few updates on the FAQ.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
woah woah woah. i said NOT bimonthly clearouts. I said a clearout now and then maybe another if needed. if you want to do it every other month thats ok, but the general consensus is that we need one now. also applicants smogon accounts should match their shoddy ones if possible, skarmblisscounter for example wouldnt have to change. participation in mt's should be mandatory, not optional. also, during the battle part of the test, auto-fail if they use ubers. you should specify OU beforehand, but uber-n00bs should fail. also i personally wont test the whiney brats who bitch to everyone and his mother about me not automatically giving them an insignificant position of power on an online server. that shows me that they'll never be ready to become a TO. i can already think of a couple examples in my head. lastly, a cutoff should be established after which no more applications for that session will be taken. i'd say 20-25 tops, the 5 vets not included.

The following is a heavily edited log from my server. Bass wanted me to post it. I tried to edit out the other people.
Code:
(22:28:40) Captain: Right tennis you want a clear out now? Well we could have a bi-monthly clear-out with the first one being at the end of this month (in 4 days) that gives us time to improve the testing system. Agreeing that applicants need to have a Smogon account, also Goldsaber now has one so you don't need to send them for him any more Captain, thank you for doing it for him while he needed help.
(22:28:47) Captain: -Eric the espeon
(22:28:55) Captain: lol
(22:29:17) Captain: oh oopsd
(22:29:25) Captain: there's your clearout
(22:29:32) Captain: which I prefer not happen >_>
(22:29:33) Bass: By clear out, you mean revoke everyone's TO privilege and test them AGAIN?
(22:29:43) Captain: yes A FUCKING AGAIN
(22:29:57) Captain: with stricter much better standards
(22:30:10) Captain: but it'll suck and have questionable results AGAIN
(22:30:40) Bass: I know that there are TOs that pull their weight and those that don't.
(22:30:49) Bass: We have already caught a few.
(22:30:50) Captain: I believe most do
(22:31:01) Captain: and this has been reported properly?
(22:31:08) Captain: no
(22:31:12) Bass: I reported Mason to eric.
(22:31:25) Bass: I don't mind making the test more strict or convoluted.
(22:31:37) Bass: But there is no need to retest people that are clearly qualified.
(22:31:39) lJLeeRSX: do not use it whatsoever
(22:31:45) Bass: Now that I think about it...
(22:31:57) Bass: I think we could use an "Intermediate" rank.
(22:32:04) Captain: yeah
(22:32:07) Captain: I totally agree
(22:32:20) Captain: and was thinking intermediate rank would be helpful during times like these
(22:32:27) Captain: some day ago
(22:32:33) Captain: but I never told anyone
(22:32:41) Bass: If we put qualified TO's in a different subset, then we can simply clear out the "new" TOs.
(22:32:44) Captain: I don't know what to count as intermediate rank though
(22:32:56) Captain: it sounds good to me
(22:33:13) Captain: the trick is finding the intermediate groundings
(22:34:01) Bass: Well, I think there are three things that obviously determines whether a TO is truly worthy of intermediate rank.
(22:34:36) Bass: Keeping the tournament under control/organized, remaining vigilant, and remembering to send results.
(22:34:47) Bass: Mason was able to do the first one.
(22:34:53) Bass: But sucks at doing the other two.
(22:34:58) Captain: hmm
(22:35:02) Captain: how did you catch the other two
(22:35:28) Bass: Well, the other two can only be caught by complaints
(22:35:39) Bass: and a lot of people complained about mason not sending results
(22:35:53) Bass: Vigilance can be observed though.
(22:35:56) Bass: As we just did.
(22:36:02) Captain: I did not recieve the complaints
(22:36:17) Bass: Of course not.
(22:36:17) Captain: that's what troubled me
(22:36:25) Bass: eric and Doug get them all.
(22:36:45) Bass: Doug told me that what Mason just did was exactly what he was talking about.
(22:36:48) Captain: people need to not send these things to doug
(22:37:07) Captain: so we actually have a chance
(22:37:10) Captain: to sort this stuff out

eric the espeon

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
woah woah woah. i said NOT bimonthly clearouts. I said a clearout now and then maybe another if needed. if you want to do it every other month thats ok, but the general consensus is that we need one now.
But you did say one now. Personally I now think that we don't really need one right now, what we need is to spread the word that if people have a problem with a TO that they should tell a VTO or me (not Doug), and we will deal with it.
Bimonthly now that I think about it is too short, maybe a clear out every 4 or so months would be good so we don't have people who are no longer active on the TO list.

also applicants smogon accounts should match their shoddy ones if possible, skarmblisscounter for example wouldnt have to change.
This would be good, however many peoples shoddy names are already taken on Smogon.

participation in mt's should be mandatory,
preferably have been in a couple of your MTs
Participation in MTs IS mandatory, but they don't need to have been your MTs.

also, during the battle part of the test, auto-fail if they use ubers. you should specify OU beforehand, but uber-n00bs should fail.
If they don't know about tiers, feel free to fail them.

also i personally wont test the whiney brats who bitch to everyone and his mother about me not automatically giving them an insignificant position of power on an online server. that shows me that they'll never be ready to become a TO. i can already think of a couple examples in my head.
That is fair enough, but remember that some of these people just want to help, and remember to let them down a bit lightly.

lastly, a cutoff should be established after which no more applications for that session will be taken. i'd say 20-25 tops, the 5 vets not included.
mmm I still don't like this idea, why not let more people in if they have the skills? But if you insist we will have a vote on it. I will send PM out the the VTOs, included in the vote will be the "clear out or pick off" question.

Also we have 29 approved TO's right now, the best limit looks to me like 30 or 35 to give enough room for a few more good TO's if we find any.

An interesting log Captain.
Glad you like the idea of an Intermediate rank, but if we scrap the bi-monthly clear outs (and don't do one now) I don't think its needed.

Now onto Mason:
Well, I think we have another case of a "bad" TO Doug was mentioning.
He has now left in the middle of a tournament for the THIRD time and has been very lax about sending you results.
Odd I have received a lot of results from him, and noticed that someone called "Crunch" wins around 50-70% of them, but never wins the FC. Has anyone seen Crunch around? Leaving is bad and 3 times is very bad.
Temporarily revoke his TO privileges?
mmm.. I think ether a short ban (a week or less) or a warning and put him on the probation list for a month is the way to go.

Sorry to everyone that I did not reply here for a while, I am trying to develop and popularise the Little Cup metagame and was writing speed tiers.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
eric i fixed the numbering on the scoreboard:
Code:
  1. Spanky 49, 18
  2. Bass 28, 8
  3. Captain 27, 10
  4. Ronjocox 21, 7
  5. Poopazing 20, 8
  6. Plus 19, 8
  7. Dixie Normas 18, 8
  8. oh no 17, 7
  9. piledriver12300 17, 6
  10. Alphabet_Soup 16, 5
  11. Phalanx 13, 5
  11. rewindman 13, 5
  13. Hybrid 13, 4
  14. alive 10, 3
  15. Iggybot 8, 4
  16. raedos 8, 2
  17. Sonaxy 7, 2
  17. tennisace0227 7, 2
  18. BLOODS Cuc 7, 1
  19. Frosten 6, 4
  20. stud 6, 2
  20. Cooper 6, 2
  22. Goldsaber 6, 1
  22. Zakkusu 6, 1
  24. Mudpie369 5, 2
  24. hybridherp 5, 2
  26. Lil Ant 5, 1
  27. adam23 5, 0
  28. eric the espeon 4, 3
  29. 6A9 SS 4, 2
  29. DragonDance 4, 2
  31. YagamiDark 4, 1
  31. nif 4, 1
  31. Garchomp18 4, 1
  31. cyberzero 4, 1
  35. Feign 4, 0
  35. Frosty 4, 0
  35. saud 4, 0
  35. Five 4, 0
  35. HECTORismynuts 4, 0
  35. Aerodactyl Legend 4, 0
  41. Icyvegeta 3, 2
  42. Super Trainer 3,1
  42. X1NF1D3L 3, 1
  42. Kespa 3, 1
  42. Beav232 3, 1
  42. therealpele 3, 1
  42. yami_scorpion 3, 1
  42. Tekken7 3, 1
  42. fastball 3, 1
  50. kazio32 3, 0
  51. dragonites 2, 2
  52. motson 2, 1
  52. mr banana grabber 2, 1
  52. vegeta_ex 2, 1
  52. Stallcia 2, 1
  52. Monika 2, 1
  52. Great sage 2, 1
  52. isverygood 2, 1
  52. Resetx 2, 1
  52. Mekkah 2, 1
  52. Ash 2, 1
  62. Zenol 2, 0
  62. Yoshifan22 2, 0
  62. FieryKai 2, 0
  62. gormenghast 2, 0
  62. ComingBack 2, 0
  62. Hero 2, 0
  62. scsrhino 2, 0
  62. SOTY 2, 0
  62. DaOnlyRecless 2, 0
  62. Squallion90 2, 0
  62. Andre 2, 0
  62. Ranger Blue0 2, 0
  62. Erik-Testing 2, 0
  62. Burraki 2, 0
  62. squirtleboy12 2, 0
  62. legion 2, 0
  62. Judge 2, 0
  79. Brawley 1, 1
  79. Pikapowow 1, 1
  79. Ice hockey 1, 1
  79. mien 1, 1
  79. ninjarabian 1, 1
  79. IJLeeRSX 1, 1
  79. rkat 1, 1
  79. Verbal 1, 1
  79. Time Mage 1, 1
  79. mosers15 1, 1
  79. SSAJ 1, 1
  79. p4ant0m 1, 1
  79. BS Nyles 1, 1
  79. Notty 1, 1
  79. mewthe 1, 1
  79. general geoffry 1, 1
  79. Fool 1, 1
  95. Fetto 1, 0
  95. Mr. Oak 1, 0
  95. Matzrim Taim 1, 0
  95. Itachi 2008 1, 0
  95. Evil Angel 1, 0
  95. The DCJ713 1, 0
  95. Luna 1, 0
  95. fishyfool 1, 0
  95. Cooley 1, 0
  95. ButtMunch 1, 0
  95. Lugia 1, 0
  95. shanx678 1, 0
  95. Brawlmastah 1, 0
  95. gigas 1, 0
  95. XINF1D3L 1, 0
  95. Gouki 1, 0
  95. Mr Happy 1, 0
  95. Colonel Klink 1, 0
  95. bobtheball4 1, 0
  95. Bradly95 1, 0
  95. Oxymoron 1, 0
  95. lovey flames 1, 0
  95. brock of pewter 1, 0
  95. ninjabunny 1, 0
  95. mastircheese 1, 0
  95. Yrael 1, 0
  95. McGill 1, 0
  95. GuyNamedBlaq23 1, 0
  95. Snuffy 1, 0
  95. Fineifold 1, 0
  95. 6A9UltimateChimera 1, 0
  95. red_gyrados 1, 0
  95. s1lver 1, 0
  95. Autumnsgrace 1, 0
also ban him.

EDIT: Permabanned him for making new alts to avoid me and for not responding. He responded once, saying "What alts?"
told him to have a nice life.

EDIT2: Ferp, who is banned from applying to TOship, is known as Fireblast. Interestingly, he passed under this alt. What i would like to know is who tested without asking for an alt check first.

EDIT3: He claims that Bass tested him under threat of permaban. I banned him for 2 weeks. I am also recomending permaban from TOship. I'm thinking more and more that we need a LARGE cleanout now, just once.

eric the espeon said:
Right there are a couple of issues I think we need to vote on, please say yes or no to each and explain your reasons.
I will vote in the case of a tie.

1. Should there be a limit to the number of TOs, after which we refuse to test anyone?
For: We don't need huge numbers of TOs, we have enough now.
Against: Why not test people who have the ability to become good TOs?

It seems kind of unfair to limit the number of TOs but the more TOs we have the more complicated our job gets so I’m not too sure about it, I’m thinking more into the long run.

2. Should we have Bi-Monthly clear outs/a clear out now?
For: It would be an effective way to get rid of the bad TOs
Against: Our new test will probably still let a few bad TOs in. Many of the currant TOs are doing a good job and we would be providing extra complication for them. It would also mean we would have to retest everyone, again.

Really, I don't want to sacrifice a lot of effort for a little good here. If you didn't notice in the log we assumed it's a lot of effort, while I clearly stated the results would be questionable even though the standards this time around is MUCH better. Bass has stated the complaints system has started to work. We've spotted a few bad ones, and continuing to use that as the primary method is fine. If we had an intermediate tier of TO that drastically made the retesting process more efficient I'd think far differently though about the practicality of retesting.

On a lighter note, what do you all think of having "theme weeks" were a specific metagame is promoted.

I honestly don’t feel like it and this doesn’t seem specific as to what it means. Can’t the TOs just choose whatever like they always have. It’s the best way.

By the way, Ferp should've been permabanned a long time ago (though now I feel incompetent for sharing the blame). He's historically always been a major troll and has never contributed anything good to us, besides some of us laughing at his stupidity.

eric the espeon

EDIT: Permabanned him for making new alts to avoid me and for not responding. He responded once, saying "What alts?"
told him to have a nice life.
fine, added him to the banned from being a TO list.

EDIT2: Ferp, who is banned from applying to TOship, is known as Fireblast. Interestingly, he passed under this alt. What i would like to know is who tested without asking for an alt check first.

EDIT3: He claims that Bass tested him under threat of permaban. I banned him for 2 weeks. I am also recomending permaban from TOship. I'm thinking more and more that we need a LARGE cleanout now, just once.
he is now banned from applying until 1st of August.
I will lower his server ban to a week, 2 seams unfair.

And I disagree, the fact that we are finding the "bad TOs" shows that a full clear out is not needed, and that we can fix this problem one TO at a time without resorting to retesting every single one.

Thanx for your vote Captain when you have finished editing send it via PM plz, Bass and Hybrid please send yours.

eric the espeon

Right the time has come to count the votes first Tennis

tennisace0227 said:
eric the espeon said:
Right there are a couple of issues I think we need to vote on, please say yes or no to each and explain your reasons.

1. Should there be a limit to the number of TOs, after which we refuse to test anyone?

For: It would be an effective way to get rid of the bad TOs.
Against: Our new test will probably still let a few bad TOs in. Many of the currant TOs are doing a good job and we would be providing extra complication for them. It would also mean we would have to retest everyone, again.

On a lighter note, what do you all think of having "theme weeks" were a specific metagame is promoted.
1. FOR. The limit should be set at 25, and a sign up thread should be posted. People will be tested on a first-come, first serve basis.

2.FOR a clearout now, but none after that. Again, 25 limit, first come, first serve.

And on the theme weeks, sure why not. Just, not every week, one week a month would suffice.
Captain's is 2 posts above this.

ss4_hybrid said:
eric the espeon said:

Yes Eric I think We should have a TO limit and that we should only test People with the abilty to be one.....but we will still be letting TOs like Mason in other words bad and cheating... and speaking of Mason i think he should be taken off the leader board... thats what i think at the moment
well... I think thats a FOR for the 1st one, and maybe an AGAINST for the second?
These are unclear so will not be added yet, Hybrid please post you votes.

Bass said:
eric the espeon said:

For: We don't need huge numbers of TOs, we have enough now. Really, at any given moment, there is always at least something going

Sounds interesting but I am not sure if we would have enough willing participants.
ok so scores are

For: 3
Against: 1

so probably a limit, but the next question is what should the limit be?

For: 1
Against: 3

probably no clear out now, or at a set point.

Positive: 1
Negative: 1
Middley: 1

Edit: I spoke to Hybrid on shoddy, he votes for 1 and against 2. Added his vote.

Well Eric I Argree with you 95% about only testing Experienced Players and not total noobs who gets pwns by everyone and we don't need any TOs at the moment we have a significant Ammount actually quite alot of TOs.No Testing of new players.And they shouldn't be constantly asking to be a TO Like everytime you come online they ask you right away, its annoying and pure confusion.But I'am still think we can test players but not at the moment unless Doug's Server gets an outburst of players constantly. So thatsIt.

I have a question. If you win a MT with an alt, can we put combine that score with the real account's score? Just asking because scrolling down the list in the other topic, I saw some names of an alt that I used in a couple tournies. I'm not sure if there's any more, but =/

Marginal Effort (my alt) has won several. Would it be possible to combine that score with my own (I guess Alphabet_Soup would be the one to combine it with since I use that on the server the most).

I don't mean I had an alt win my own tournies (or had multiple alts enter a tourny at once for that matter). So no, I don't think that's exactly what Mason did. In fact, I really don't see why it should be an issue, I just asked because I felt it was the right thing to do.

I mean would it be acceptable to combine the scores of my alt and my normal account. If no, that's fine.

eric the espeon

Hybrid I need a straight Yes/No answer on the two points we were voting on.

A_S yes I can transfer points for you if you want. Please PM me with a list of alts, and try to use a single account for future MTs or explain to the TO that your points should go to a different name if you win.

eric the espeon

I have decided to retire for the position of Tournament Director, I have so many other things to do and have not really been very active in sorting this out for some time. I would like to remain a VTO if the new leader will keep me. If someone more active and able to sort stuff out takes over then I believe that Mini Tournaments will pick up.

There will soon be a vote of VTOs (eric the espeon, tennisace0227, Bass, Hybrid, and Captain), the person who has the most voted will be selected as TD and be in charge of:

1. Keeping the scoreboard up to date.
2. Leading the VTOs in selecting policy on various matters (who to appoint TOs, rules for MTs, ect..).
3. Selecting new VTOs.
4. Keeping the other parts of the Sticky up to date (list of TO's, list of banned people, improving the FAQ, ect..)

If you wish to take on this responsibility and place of power please post why you are fit for the job here. Do not put forward other peoples names, if you think they should put themselves forward PM them and suggest it.

Hybrid For Tournament Director!

Hello Commrads Of Smogon and DJD Battle Server I'am here today to explain why i should Take Eric's Place as TD(Tournament Director).

Reason Why:

They reason why i should be the next TD is because I am one of Smogon's Regular and also a Regular on DJD create a Pokemon Server,also a member since Doug's Server was published.I have been a TO since the Day i asked Eric To be one and then after he made me a tourney a threw quite alot of MTs but never surpassed Bass's record. Eric Realised my talents as a TO and made me a VTO a week later.

I Promise if selected as new TD i will Update the LeaderBoads ASAP Being a VTO has improved my Battling and my hosting of MTs.And Also made me a very well known CaP player and also Gave me the Status As a Driver.

Also as Mentioned Earlier I will Update LeaderBoard ASAP!
SO VOTE HYBRID AS NEW TD!

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
My fellow patrons of the CaP battle server, I would like to apply for position of Tournament Director.

Why you ask?

Well for starters, I love the Create-a-Pokemon server for giving me an alternative metagame to the standard through the inclusion of new, competitively viable pokemon, but I also love it for some of its unique traditions. One of these is Mini-Tournaments. When I first logged on to the server during March, I always watched various users running tournaments in the chat, and I had no idea what they were all about. Were they referring to serious tournaments on other sites or were they makeshift events made entirely for fun? I was happy to learn that it was indeed the latter, and thus, I became enthusiastic to jump on the bandwagon of Mini-Tournaments. After participating and winning a few of tournaments, I eventually felt that there was much unexploited potential in the then current tournament system.

I simply applied for TO by asking eric the espeon, and when he accepted my application, I was jubilant. So jubilant that I have hosted over 60 tournaments since, more tournaments than any other TO, including none other than eric himself. Through my experience, I was trusted by eric to make many important changes to the tournament system, including the creation of a thorough guide to tournaments (and tag tournaments) as well as revamping the selection of future TOs. For the past month and a half, eric as also left me with the responsibility in keeping the leaderboard up to date, which I have managed to do up to this point.

Through my experiences with Mini Tournaments, I have not not only improved my battling and organizational skills but also became a much more recognizable member of the CaP community -- Enough to achieve my status as a server moderator today. Through all of my hard work, I have shown that I have the necessary level of maturity to be eric the espeon's successor as Tournament Director of the Create-A-Pokemon server. If you vote for me, I promise that I will not only keep mini-tournaments up to the current standards set by eric, but I will also have several new things in store for mini-tournaments!

Bass for TD '08!

eric the espeon

Bass has won the vote so he is the new Tournament Director.

Congrats!

Please repost the TO list and FAQ in the Sticky so you can edit them at will, I will delete my versions when I see your's are up (If I leave before your ones go up you can ask a mod to delete mine).

I will edit the first post to explain that you are the TD now.

Sorry to Tennis who would have liked to enter in the vote, and consolations to Hybrid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)