1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

CAP Server Statistics - January 2009

Discussion in 'Create-A-Pokémon Project' started by DougJustDoug, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Kaxtar

Kaxtar

I would personally like a CAP OU list. Supprised that Argo is not #1, seemin as how he is the new CAp and what not (just wondering if that has ever happaned before). Oak and Ant decrease in useage was predictable. Altough i'm supprised that Rev is only #9, and not like 15 because argo walls the heack out of the bulk up set. Everything else is just a response to a changing metagame.
  2. ferron

ferron

im pretty sure i'm the only one that uses umbreon as a lead, so number 34 isn't that bad.
  3. v

v a cosmic hiccup shrieking "i exist,"
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    ULTRA Moderator

Aah, I love it! Thanks so much for the hard work, Doug.

I'm a little disappointed in how much sway I hold over the LC stats. :[ Maybe we'll get more players soon. I'm surprised that Stratagem runs Expert Belt 15% of the time, as well, since LO and lefties are basically always superior. Also, why would you EVER use Effect Spore on Breloom? >_>;
  4. X-Act

X-Act np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

On second thoughts, a CAP OU is impossible to do, mainly because its metagame changes too frequently due to frequent new Pokemon additions.

But still, here's what was OU in CAP last month:

Code:
    Aerodactyl
    Arghonaut
    Azelf
    Azumarill
    Blissey
    Breloom
    Bronzong
    Celebi
    Cresselia
    Dugtrio
    Electivire
    Empoleon
    Fidgit
    Flygon
    Gengar
    Gliscor
    Gyarados
    Heatran
    Hippowdon
    Infernape
    Jirachi
    Lucario
    Machamp
    Magnezone
    Metagross
    Pyroak
    Revenankh
    Rotom-A
    Salamence
    Scizor
    Skarmory
    Snorlax
    Starmie
    Stratagem
    Swampert
    Syclant
    Togekiss
    Tyranitar
    Vaporeon
    Zapdos

(40 Pokemon)
    And here is the centralisation data for the January CAP metagame:

Code:
    Fidgit Arghonaut Stratagem Salamence [SIZE=1](a typical CAP team has 2 out of these 4 Pokemon)[/SIZE]
    Tyranitar Blissey Revenankh Zapdos [SIZE=1](a typical CAP team has 3 out of these 8 Pokemon)[/SIZE]
    Heatran Scizor Skarmory Starmie Syclant Jirachi Metagross [SIZE=1](a typical CAP team has 4 out of these 15 Pokemon)[/SIZE]
    Celebi Pyroak Azelf Gyarados Infernape Lucario Rotom-W Rotom-H Breloom Dugtrio [SIZE=1](a typical CAP team has 5 out of these 25 Pokemon)[/SIZE]
    Snorlax Swampert Machamp Vaporeon Magnezone Gengar Flygon Bronzong Togekiss Gliscor Aerodactyl Electivire Empoleon Hippowdon Cresselia Azumarill Tentacruel Porygonz Alakazam Dragonite Jolteon [SIZE=1](a typical CAP team has 6 out of these 46 Pokemon)[/SIZE]

Diversity Numbers: 4 + 4 + 7 + 10 + 21 = 46
  5. tennisace

tennisace another eggnog, please
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    Social Media Chief

Not really, I ran Expert Belt to fake the choice item. Its ok, but LO is much better for the all out sweeper.
  6. Veedrock

Veedrock

You actually kick if somebody uses a Pokemon that isn't formally banned on the ladder? Seems like power abuse to me, but that's just me. Regardless, thanks for that info if I ever do try Little Cup.

What is up with Tyranitar usage?
  7. Plus

Plus been cookin with the sauce
    is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
    Professor of B101

I fail to see how it's power abuse. When smogon u had the glitch with fly, mods were allowed to kick for people abusing it on the ladder. Likewise, we are able to kick people for using banned things on the ladder. We'd obviously ask them to leave before kicking, but if they choose not to, then it's a kick. Anybody who sees a banned pokemon on a ladder can report it to mods, so I don't see how it's power abuse when it applies to everybody.
  8. Captain

Captain
    is a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Meh, regardless of how things are run on Smogon U it is generally agreed that if it's not formally banned it simply means Doug hasn't gotten around to updating the list yet.

purely unedited logs if you have a hard time believing this:

Code:
    (12:28:44) Plus: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1765758&postcount=32 (CMS Organization)
    (12:28:49) Dolphin the Bird: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-Dj4dLsFCA&NR=1 (CMS Organization)
    (12:28:51) Plus: check that out (CMS Organization)
    (12:29:02) Dolphin the Bird: lol (CMS Organization)
    (12:29:08) Dolphin the Bird: every mod would do that (CMS Organization)
    (12:29:11) Dolphin the Bird: I mean EVERY mod (CMS Organization)
    (12:29:14) Plus: yeah (CMS Organization)
    (12:29:14) Plus: i'd do it (CMS Organization)
    Code:
    captaiN: look at this 
    captaiN: [URL="http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1765758&postcount=32%C2%A0"]http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?...8&postcount=32 [/URL]
    captaiN: *facepalm* 
    eric the espeon: hes 
    eric the espeon: *yes 
    Magmortified: Technically 
    TekkenStorm: hes right, people use power abuses on me alot 
    [B]Magmortified: LCF decides Little Cup policy 
    Magmortified: So as far as the ladder is concerned 
    Magmortified: Doug just hasn't updated yet. [/B]
    latino has left Doug's Create-A-Pokemon Server. 
    eric the espeon: mmhmm 
    captaiN: should I PM him that? 
    HybridHerp: is eric like 16 or older? 
    HybridHerp: jw 
    eric the espeon: probably 
    captaiN: or post it publicly 
    eric the espeon: mm 
    eric the espeon: both could work 
    captaiN: I don't know which would cause more benefit to not cause it further among other users 
    Plus: i replied to it 
    eric the espeon: But say that if someone just did not know they are asked to leave 
    eric the espeon: not kicked 
    Leviathan207 has joined Doug's Create-A-Pokemon Server. 
    captaiN: I would tell them not to use it 
    A battle has completed: Kharozz v. darkchicken113. 
    A new battle has begun: Magmortified v. Axe. 
    A battle has completed: estranged v. Axe. 
    captaiN: before kicking probably if I believed they didn't know 
    Leviathan207: use what? 
    A new battle has begun: estranged v. darkchicken113. 
    eric the espeon: Krow on ladder 
    Leviathan207: oh 
    Leviathan207: it's banned? 
    captaiN: murkrow got banned at the end of last month 
    Leviathan207: wow... 
    Leviathan207: I miss everything... 
    TekkenStorm: if you went on the ladder with it you would have been kicked 
    A new battle has begun: Plus v. Kharozz. 
    Beej: No, he would've been told to not use it. 
    Beej: Wasn't this just cleared up? 
    captaiN: it's either a kick or a warn, depending on the offender, 
    eric the espeon: Lev only just joined 
    Gardylop Latias: good murkrow got banned from lc hes not cute xD 
    captaiN: when I learned krow was banned which ironically happened in battle 
    Leviathan207: sb, I take it? 
    captaiN: I only battled with 5 pokemon 
    A battle has completed: Plus v. sekian. 
    Shigen has joined Doug's Create-A-Pokemon Server. 
    captaiN: then I changed my team shortly afterward to get all 6   
  9. Veedrock

Veedrock

Well it's a similar situation with Shaymin-S (I'm aware that CAP operates differently than SU); it was "banned" because it was voted uber, but the ladder wasn't updated, leaving it as fair game on the ladder for a good 2 weeks. It even made top 30 despite being banned for the second half of that month. All I'm saying is that if it's not a formal ban, a kick seems unjust and improper as the user may not keep up with LCF, and is technically not breaking any rules. It's like kicking because you don't like Salamence =/

Fly is a glitch, Murkrow being allowed on LC Ladder is not.

But you have your own way of running things and I'm not trying to change that. I just hope the ladder gets updated stat to avoid any of this mess. I'm not trying to pursue it by any means, it just seems whack.
  10. Ziggy

Ziggy

Wow. Because we all know that if you find an exploit, the best thing ISN'T to follow the rules, but exploit it for your own personal gain. Of course, you being punished for breaking the rules isn't fair, OBVIOUSLY.
  11. Veedrock

Veedrock

You missed the point entirely. What rule? Nowhere do I see that Murkrow is officially banned from play, and as far as I can see it's only an enforced policy with a specific group of people. Shaymin-S was "banned" on SU for a time but it was still used to a large degree before becoming officially banned, and people didn't get kicked for using it beforehand.

Imagine an announcement that some law was forbidding some action, and was to be effective after a certain date. Now, there is absolutely nothing that should prevent them from doing this action before it's officially enforced. There is no grounds to call punishment on other than "well it's a future rule." That's bullshit.

Now I'm not opposing a ban, don't get me wrong, but until it's in place then people shouldn't be punished for going against some unspoken rule and not following honor code (or hell, just not knowing about it). I'm am NOT saying that people should "exploit" this, I'm saying that they should not be punished for breaking an unwritten rule. Using Murkrow isn't an "exploit" either. As mentioned, this isn't a glitch, which is generally what I think when I hear about exploiting something.

I'm not going to pursue this. You have my thoughts on the matter, and there is probably no reasoning that will convince me that this "policy" is alright. This is whack from what I see. Try a non-biased stance on the matter and you may see where I'm coming from.
  12. Ziggy

Ziggy

It's on the server that it follows the same ban list as Smogon, just because the server hasn't updated doesn't mean that you are free to not follow the official Smogon ban list.
  13. eric the espeon

eric the espeon maybe I just misunderstood
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Yea.. we did kinda do that. We made an announcement that Krow would be banned on the Jan 25th. Then it was banned.
    I know that the ladder ban list is not updated and for that reason people are asked to leave and fixed their team, and (hopefully) provided with a link to the ban thread. Only if they refuse will they be kicked.

It is also worth noting that a vast majority of LC players visit the LCF, and not really fair on the majority to say "yes this Pokemon is banned and your team will not be prepared for it, but if someone who did not comes on ladder and beats you the mods will do nothing about it".

I know its not an ideal situation but I, and most of the other mods, see this as the least harmful option.
  14. DougJustDoug

DougJustDoug Knows the great enthusiasms
    is a member of the Site Staffis an Artistis a Programmeris a CAP Contributoris an Administratoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    CAP Leader

I just updated the LC ban list to include Murkrow. It was an oversight that I did not update it when I unbanned Latias on the CAP ladder and fixed the LC Clause.

I think the argument over kicking/not kicking users is kinda silly. Both sides are right.

Veedrock has a perfectly valid point that a new user who comes to the LC ladder should not be kicked for simply using the pokemon available to them on that ladder. I think it's also understandable that most new users would assume that a banned pokemon can be used until it is actually banned in the server code. Whether that's right or wrong, that is the precedent that has been set on SU, so it's reasonable that many users would assume that to be the case on the CAP server as well. Any mod who kicks a user for being ignorant of the happenings on the Little Cup Forum, is probably being too harsh.

However I don't think that's what Captain really meant. His exact quote (bolded part by me):

If there is a user that knows full well that Murkrow is "banned", and continues to use it, then they aren't being a very good community member -- and perhaps deserves a kick. It's not unlike abusing the Fly glitch or anything else that can be exploited that unfairly affects the game outcome.

Captain also mentioned that almost all LC ladder matches are fought amongst members of LCF. As such, I think it's perfectly reasonable that LCF has the right to "police their own". I made the LC ladder primarily for the LCF to have a "battling home". How they run the show, is up to them. If the LC regulars make a habit of kicking unsuspecting new users -- then I have a problem with that. It's "bad for business" on my server, and it's "bad for business" in the Little Cup community. I seriously doubt that is happening.
  15. TekkenStorm

TekkenStorm

So now back on topic, Fidgit is dominating the leads usage having 2 times as much as the second in place.
  16. tennisace

tennisace another eggnog, please
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    Social Media Chief

TTar got rid of all the Azelf leads on the server, and Fidgit is only 2HKO'd by Aqua Tail/EQ from CBTar, so it can still get up Rocks and a layer of Spikes, or just Rocks and set up later.
  17. TPM

TPM

God I need to actually play.
    Nothing too, too surprising here, except Arghy not 1st, but meh, Fidgit rocks.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)