1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

#CAP - The New CAP IRC Channel!

Discussion in 'Create-A-Pokémon Project' started by tennisace, Sep 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tennisace

tennisace
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    Social Media Chief

#CAP - The CAP IRC Channel!

Darkie and I decided it would be a good idea to make an IRC channel for the CAP forum. This way, we could play games, and bring in people who might not go on shoddy. The Channel is hosted on Synirc, just like #smogon and #fluodome, so to connect, follow the steps detailed here, and type in /join #cap instead of /join #smogon.

SOps:
    darkie (owner)
    Bass
    tennisace
    Cyzirvisheen
    DougJustDoug
    X-Act

AOps:
    Beej
    Mekkah
    Plus
    Elevator Music
    Magmortified
    Gen Empoleon
    Fuzznip

HOps:
    Deck Knight
    eric the espeon
    Jumpluff
    Lunar
    ReyScarface
    Wyverii
    Umbreon Dan
    moi

Voiced:
    RB-Golbat
    moot
    aldaron
    reachzero
    Flounder
    Jimbo
    Vader
    Dracoyoshi8
    locopoke
    Tab
    Macle
    Carparama
    HD
    Illithian

#cap has been revamped, the channel focuses on serious Pokemon chat dealing with the CAP metagame, process, and projects. Don't ask for status if you've lost it.
  2. A$AP DARKY

A$AP DARKY mfw i see alison brie
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Super Moderatoris a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

It's kind of boring there right now, so join and we can fix that problem! :)
  3. X-Trader

X-Trader

Hey why didn't you guys include me in the project? I'm trying to fit in, damnit :P
  4. tennisace

tennisace
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    Social Media Chief

Just join then, you can fit in.
  5. X-Trader

X-Trader

I would but I have a Mac, so I can't use IRC, if you can help with that it'd be cool :P
  6. Kira

Kira

Will join in on the fun eventually.
  7. CyzirVisheen

CyzirVisheen Am I poplar yet?
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

I have a mac too. Try Colloquy:
    http://colloquy.info/downloads.html
  8. Magmortified

Magmortified <b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
    is a CAP Contributor Alumnus

This question's been on my mind:

Why do this when we have a Shoddy server? Not to mention that the server should have a pick-me-up more than an IRC channel. C'mon, peoples. Where the Fidgits are. =P
  9. Beef 2.0

Beef 2.0

I heard that all drivers become HOps automatically, hop me.
    right now I'm on as Beefacus cause someone took Beef
  10. Sunday

Sunday God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Sounds cool, I'll be sure to join whenever I'm on IRC for #smogon and #fluodome.
  11. TAY

TAY You and I Know
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I would like to take this opportunity to invite everyone involved in CaP not only to our irc channel, but also the the shoddy server itself. The metagame is actually very fun to play, and we're really a very welcoming and community.

Honestly I doubt that even half the people who vote in the polls actually play with any kind of regularity, which is both sad and annoying, but I really want to encourage people to come play. There are plenty of people who know the metagame well if you're looking for tips, and with the new CaP ladder it's pretty damn easy to find a battle if you want to test or just increase your rank. These pokemon are created with everyone's input so that everyone will have something about them they like; you all took the time to help make it, now come play with it!
  12. eric the espeon

eric the espeon maybe I just misunderstood
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

This is why I have not been on the irc (well... and I have not worked it out yet, and don't want to use my free trial/pay) we have a perfectly good chatroom on Shoddy so even though this place may be a kinda nice addition the server hold more people and the ability to battle with CaPs.

To add a little advise to those who take up TAY's offer, for your first few battles you will be almost certainly be CaP weak. Just ask one of the regulars to give you a little advise, tell them which one you are having trouble with and they can help you. None of the CaPs are as broken as they seem at first, you just need to learn how to play around them.
  13. Fishin

Fishin
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Mac users can also try Chatzilla, a free Firefox addon if some of the other stuff seems a bit complicated. Just install the plug-in (go to the Firefox addons link on the Firefox home page) hit /server irc.dejatoons.net, and then /j #cap, and you're in! (though you really should register your name, too) Granted it's not the greatest irc client out there, but it does work and it's really simple to use.

IRC channels are a bit easier to chat in than a Shoddy server (less lag, more commands), and it's much easier to just hit /j #cap whenever I'm on IRC than open up Shoddy and connect to the CAP server itself. Though it's more of a problem with the Smogon University/Official servers, chat sometimes devolve into complete idiocy as well, which seems to rarely happen in IRC (That said, I myself am pretty guilty of not visiting the server as much as I should, which I keep telling myself to do but never end up doing so).
  14. Icy Vegeta

Icy Vegeta

No one's on O.o
  15. chaos

chaos
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
    Owner

because Shoddy's chat blows ass and IRC is awesome?
  16. phalanx

phalanx

yea, no battles on IRC to be frustrated at, IRC is a place to unwind, and chat about other things.
  17. moi

moi

this is a really cool channel, it is pretty laid back but it is also very good to get on the topic of serious pokemon and CAP discussions, so if you're interested please come join us (don't leave me with darkie and tennisace :()
  18. Icy Vegeta

Icy Vegeta

Voiced, you talk through this? lol sorry I'm a total noob at IRC.
  19. moi

moi

Voiced is a mode used most commonly during +m (channel mute) it allows anyone with a ranking of it to talk through that
  20. UberMunch

UberMunch

Well, after experiencing this magic first hand, I can say that it is worth getting on. It is much better than the server's chat (I just wish it was a bit more active. There is often not much going on). But hopefully that will change.
  21. tennisace

tennisace
    Social Media Chief

As the OP said, the channel has changed to a serious Pokemon chat dealing with the CAP metagame, process, and projects. That doesn't mean we don't talk about other stuff occasionally, but there are no more tomfoolery/randkicks. Come join us to learn more about the metagame and CAP in general!
  22. jagged_angel

jagged_angel

I'm not sold, what is the benefit of this that we can't get on this forum and on shoddy? Not being contrary just genuinely intrigued as to why it's beneficial to join?
  23. Umbreon Dan

Umbreon Dan 〉λ=
    is a CAP Contributor Alumnus

I'd just like to point out that the previous #cap consisted almost entirely of people spammng "itsun" all the time and complaining about the bot. Are the "Good times" over?
  24. A$AP DARKY

A$AP DARKY mfw i see alison brie
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Super Moderatoris a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

I removed all the stupid scripts from my version of HAL9000. It's still there, but as more of a useful BaseBot/Keine type of role than a wormbot kind of role.

It's not like it costs you anything to idle in the channel. Real-time chat is so much better than the forum.
  25. tennisace

tennisace
    Social Media Chief

Different crowd of people, some people can't be arsed to open up two shoddy windows when on IRC it's easier to go on multiple channels. And also, IRC's chat is better.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)