CAP To-Do List

Status
Not open for further replies.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

We haven't had one of these for a while.

--------------

Introduction

Right, this will be set out in the same format as the last thread. This will be CAP's list of things to get done, be it on the site, in the forums, with regard to PRC or simply a useful thing to have around. Anyone is welcome to suggest or contribute anything they feel would be helpful, or simply to sign up for one of the unreserved projects, though please only do so if you are sure you can carry it through to completion. If you tarry too long, it may end up being reassigned (though admittedly that is quite unlikely).

Currently Ongoing

• Write an Event Page for the Dex Submissions / Miscellaneous Flavour stage.
    • Owner: bugmaniacbob
    • Details: Needs a page on-site to be created.
  • Update the Event Page for the Movepool Submissions stage.
    • Details: Top Priority.
  • Update the Event Page for the Stat Limits stage.
    • Details: Top Priority.
  • Update the Event Page for the Threat Discussion and Counters stages.
    • Details: Need updating with the results of this thread
  • Write an Event Page for the Movepool Limits stage.
    • Details: Needs a page on-site to be created
  • Update the Stat Ratings Article.
    • Details: -
  • Update the Guide to Creating a CAP Movepool.
  • Write a Credits or Contributors page.
    • Details: Needs community input. Name changes need identifying.
  • Update the BSR calculator to include BW2 Pokemon.
    • Details: Needs aesthetic/functional comments.
  • Write a Movepool Builder.
    • Details: Needs aesthetic/functional comments.
  • Write a List of Very Good Moves to replace the current Competitive Moves page.
    • Details: VGM list needs revising. Shortlist of changes to be put to PRC vote.
  • Necturna (BW Analysis)
    • Details: Currently awaiting approval.
  • Update the EnCAPlopaedia
    • Owner: srk1214
    • Details: Needs updating to meet what is currently on-site. Somewhat considerably out of date.
  • Return of the CAP Tournaments
    • Owner: srk1214 (others more than welcome as well)
    • Details: Tournament host(s) needed to revive age-old tradition of themed CAP tournaments. See the old threads in the main forum for examples.
  • Update the Create-A-Pokemon Guide for Newcomers
    • Owner: ZhengTann
    • Details: Change the Events sequence and possibly make the tone a bit more welcoming. Remove the bit about "cool Ubers" and "cute babies" since we seem to be doing both. Also, I want to add this picture (credits to Elagune) to the Guide as it seems perfect for the article, but this needs discussion.

• Mollux (BW Analysis)
    • Owner: nyttyn
    • Details: This needs doing.

Available for Reservation

• Add new BSR calculator to current Stat Limits Discussion Event page.
    • Owner: -
    • Details: Mods only. Only when BSR calc is complete.
  • Update links on site from current Stat Ratings Guide to updated version.
    • Details: Mods only. Only when Guide is written and on-site.
  • Artwork for CAP Articles Project
    • Details: Various articles on-site require artwork. Owner is responsible for finding and accommodating said artwork - try the model used by the artwork for C&C articles thread in Smeargle's Studio. Note that Process Event pages should not have artwork.
  • Write an Events page for the whole Prevo process
    • Details: This only really needs one page as it's flavour-only
  • A Guide to Creating a Base Stat Spread
    • Details: this was the original and so very very out of date, so you'll pretty much have to work from scratch
  • Write a Guide to CAP Flavour
    • Details: Why don't we have this yet

Policy Review

• Best Discussion Nominations
    • Owner: Deck Knight
    • Details: Requires vote
  • Proposal: Making CAPs for metagames other than OU
    • Owner: Deck Knight
    • Details: Requires further discussion
  • Competitive CAP: An Idea
    • Details: Requires further discussion

• Project Schedule and Order of Operations
    • Details: Requires Competitive CAP, CAPs for other metagames or Neglected Abilities to be complete and approved before being put to use.
  • Pre-Evolution Poll
    • Owner: capefeather
  • Introductory Paragraphs and Revision Logs
  • Neglected Abilities
    • Details: A PRC thread to argue for a deviant CAP Project based around a notable ability that has potential competitive applications but is limited by hard coding, such as Multitype, Zen Mode, Forecast etc
  • CAP DPP>BW and BW>BW2 Updates
    • Details: Wherein the potential updates to DPP and BW CAP Pokemon based on flavour will be discussed and, if approved, voted on and passed into CAP canon. Will likely solely follow Type-Move and Move-Move guidelines. Will not commence until DPP ladder is available on Pokemon Showdown!
  • Very Good Moves Poll
    • Details: The shortlist drawn up in the Update thread will be put through to the PRC for polling. The Owner must make the thread, count the votes, and ensure that the changes decided are added posthaste.
  • Movepool Requirements and the nature of limits
    • Details: Concerns have come up over the current system of how movepools are performed - a midway compromise between the lax system of the dim and distant past and the strict limits imposed afterwards. VGMs are decided on a common-sense basis - is this right? Type-Move and Move-Move relationships are no longer required - is this right? Discussion is needed if you feel strongly that the current system needs changing.

Artwork

• Donate artwork for articles on-site
    • Owner: All welcome
    • Details: Limbo until "Art for CAP Articles" thread is posted.
  • Add animations to all BW CAP Sprites
    • Details: Good luck with this...
  • BW Pyroak sprite update
    • Details: Single update to current sprite to change pose and bring it up to the standard of the other sprites.
  • Pre-Evolution icons
    • Details: Icons needed for Syclar, Embirch, Flarelm, Breezi, Rebble, Bolderdash, Privatyke, Nohface, Monohm, Duohm, Colosshale, Protowatt, Voodoll, Scratchet, and Necturine.

Limited to Specific Users

• Update CAP Art Gallery
    • Owner: DougJustDoug
  • Add BW/DPP and Revision Log tabs to CAP pages
    • Owner: DougJustDoug
  • Add DPP CAP Ladder to Pokemon Showdown!
    • Owner: Zarel

----

Archive

Slightly anticlimactic, isn't it

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'll throw my name in the mix for being tournament host. My schedule is much more conducive to more frequent, shorter spurts of involvement than it is to the more intensive time commitment required to update articles etc.

I'd also be happy to help update the EnCAPlopaedia too.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
You have a fair few things missing that can be found in this thread that I made a little under two months ago. Your list is good for starters though. I'll continue to work on the other threads you've posted.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You have a fair few things missing that can be found in this thread that I made a little under two months ago. Your list is good for starters though. I'll continue to work on the other threads you've posted.
Note that this is a list of things that specific users can do, not just "stuff that needs doing" - this thread is for specifics, in short, not overarching projects.

a) I think we've exhausted Mollux discussion
b) Pre-Evos are their own totally separate project and don't need mentioning here
c) "Update the CAP site" is more or less entirely covered by the edits I personally have made and the rest of the jobs that I have listed in this thread.

Or at least, that was my reasoning when making this thread.

----

- Added srk to Tournaments and EnCAPlopaedia update.
- Added prevo icons to Artwork

ZhengTann

Nargacuga
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I guess it wouldn't be that hard to rewrite the CAP Newcomers' Guide, since I'm still pretty new, myself. If you'll have me, I'll be happy to help.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
I guess it wouldn't be that hard to rewrite the CAP Newcomers' Guide, since I'm still pretty new, myself. If you'll have me, I'll be happy to help.
Alright, feel free to post an update thread whenever you're ready.

EDIT: As a note, make sure you pay attention to the "Details" section in the OP, and also don't feel like you need to rewrite the whole thing, since most of what Doug wrote is pretty good already. Just change the bits that you feel need changing and, as you say, add anything else that you think potential newcomers may need to know.

----

- Added ZhengTann to CAP Newcomers' Guide Update.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
We do not need a rewrite of that guide. Very, very little of it needs to be changed at all. The tone and content of that article was written very deliberately to serve a few different specific goals. I'm not going to give a lengthy explanation of those goals, just so someone else can duplicate the work of writing a different guide that serves the same purpose.

If someone wants to post an update to minor details or grammer or whatever, I'll be happy to look at it. But if anyone else thinks they know what a "Newcomers Guide" should look like, or they think the current guide is not doing the job -- then we'll just have to agree to disagree. But no one should waste their time fixing something that isn't broken, particularly considering the other completely missing or broken content we have on the subsite.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
You mentioned that we need some more artwork on site. I have an artist who's itchy to draw stuff, so I recommended he draw some CAP stuff. User ium drew us this Pyroak as a result; it's awesome. If you guys have any idea where to put it on site, let me know! If you can't think of a place, I'll just put it wherever I see fit.

If you're an artist reading this thread and you want to draw for CAP, you're more than welcome to draw something! If it's good enough in quality, we'll host it on the CAP site. Talk to me if you have any questions about it.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
That Pyroak pic is great!

I have long wanted a general CAP art section on the subsite of cool CAP-related art drawn by various Smogon artists. Just something fun to look through while browsing the subsite. We have lots of material to pull from. If we made such a section, we should make an index with thumbnails of the art, and each page should be framed with a note and link to the artist's profile, and maybe even their Smeargle's Studio art thread, if they have one. I'd like to be somewhat selective about what we put there, and not just every picture drawn that has a CAP pokemon in it.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
So if we could put our art somewhere that would be great, but preferably not here

I added a list of other things that need doing to the unreserved bit, and also added all the stuff that I thought I had done, but turns out still has tape to chop through. Oh well.

Also RE: Newcomers' Guide, I'd like to know what the goals were for that guide, because I can't seem to work it out. Or at least, I can't see any goals beyond what the Rules thread already accomplishes. Typically I would see a Newcomers' guide as being inviting to new participants for at least the first paragraph, rather than just the first four words. I don't think that it needs an entire rewrite per se, but I would like to see some of the slightly brash tone cropped or mollified somewhat. In essence, I feel the guide should at least imply that we are doing this for fun and for the challenge rather than taking the whole thing dead seriously.

EDIT:
Doug said:
"If you know how to play competitive pokemon, then you have everything you need to be a valued participant here in CAP. Come join the fun!"
You said the above yourself - and this is really the message that I would like the Newcomers Guide to get across, but feel it is not succeeding in doing.

RE. CAP Art Gallery: Yes, this should be a thing, though I'm not sure where we ought to put it.

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I'll take Mollux's analysis. I PM'd Deck_Knight about it awhile ago, and he never got back to me on it.

I would like to donate some artwork, here is my deviantart = deezmcnuggetz.deviantart.com. Just let me know how to go about doing it and I will try to get a piece done every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)