CAP Website Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I have changed the programming on the CAP subsite to accommodate our three Black and White CAPs - Tomohawk, Necturna, and Mollux. I've added all the base information, art, sprites, and moves. You can see the new pokemon in the CAP Pokedex here:

http://www.smogon.com/cap/pokemon/

Individual pokemon page links:

http://www.smogon.com/cap/pokemon/tomohawk
http://www.smogon.com/cap/pokemon/necturna
http://www.smogon.com/cap/pokemon/mollux

I also updated the formatting of the Tomohawk analysis, which had been mistakenly entered in the traditional Smogon analysis format. For any badgeholders or site staffers that may have forgotten (I know it's been a long time since we updated the CAP site, so it's reasonable to forget), the CAP subsite does not operate on the normal Smogon CMS framework. It was all custom programmed by me a long time ago, when CAP was the poor stepchild of Smogon and we didn't have access to stuff like the Smogon site framework. So please use the proper format. Look at other working CAP pages any time you are adding or editing a CAP pokedex page. You should be able to figure it out by looking at other examples.

As for the Necturna and Mollux analyses, we need to get those written and/or put on the subsite. CAP mods and badgeholders need to pitch in here. Let's get some head writers in place and open workshop threads as necessary.

In the case of Mollux, yes I know we haven't playtested it yet, but it's probably a good idea to write an "anticipated" strategy page for Mollux anyway. We will be asking newcomers to play our new pokemon on day one, and those newcomers don't have the advantage of being part of two months of creating Mollux. They have no idea what this new pokemon is about. The rest of us may not know exactly how it will play, but we know more than a total newcomer. Write up some sets that we expect to work in playtesting, based on the design discussions we have had so far. Post those sets on the site so newcomers can get up to speed quickly during playtesting. After playtesting, obviously the strategies will have to be updated, perhaps significantly. But the first writeup needs to happen ASAP.

I haven't updated the gallery pages on the site yet, but I'm working on it.

Enjoy the new dex pages and let's work to get the CAP website back up to snuff!

Asylum_Rhapsody

Fantastic! ^_^
If we notice any minor bugs, though, would this be the place to note them? Because I noticed that, when you click on the Moves or Strategy tab, the menu on the left listing all of the CAPs still doesn't include the gen 5 CAPs. Edit: Actually, the same also appears to be true for the Dex tab if you're on anything other than the gen 5 CAPs.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Obligatory looks fantastic / many thanks / you're the best / etc.

Also for my own part I am about halfway through writing the Necturna analysis and should be done in the coming few days, with luck. It's just so long...

What else is there... the type links link to the DP pages for the BW CAPs, rather than the BW pages, but this is a minor concern. Anyway, I eagerly await the day that analysis tabs for generations become available, but this is a minor concern.

Seriously, thanks.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Doug is awesome hahaha.

Dunno if it's buggy but the links on the sidebar when you go into an invidual CAP still only go down to Voodoom. Not sure if that's a work in progress or not.

Thanks for the update!

DougJustDoug

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Side navigation lists are not working right due to a bug with Smogon's SCMS. The lists have been updated in the database, but pages are not automatically being recached like they should. This is a long-standing bug with SCMS. I may try and fix it next time I am in the code.

Nyktos

Custom Loser Title
What else is there... the type links link to the DP pages for the BW CAPs, rather than the BW pages, but this is a minor concern.
Moves and abilities also link to DP pages, which is a bigger concern seeing as that leads to broken links on ones that didn't exist in fourth gen.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Sometimes I wonder if he really is JUST Doug... seems more like SuperDoug.

even though you're really not in charge any more, cap couldn't work without you.
This. I'm always glad that there's at least one constant around these parts. I know some people don't like postcount++ congrats, but sometimes people just need encouragement.

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Anticipated Mollux strategy should include the Attack / Rapid Spin / Recover / Stealth Rock tank set imo. That aside holy crap Doug great work.

DougJustDoug

I fixed all the navigation menus, and I also fixed the links to DP. I just changed the whole template to point to BW for all abilities, items, etc. Even though old CAPs were designed for DP, they'll all just point to BW. It's easier to code it this way and it should work for all links.

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
Feedback: It might be nice to put a WIP sign on Mollux and Necturna's strat pages (or rather, add it as there currently is no strat page)

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I fixed all the navigation menus, and I also fixed the links to DP. I just changed the whole template to point to BW for all abilities, items, etc. Even though old CAPs were designed for DP, they'll all just point to BW. It's easier to code it this way and it should work for all links.
Doug, you are ridiculously awesome. Thank you for fixing the navigation bug; that has been frustrating me for quite some time, haha. Making the moves link to Gen 5 moves for DPP CAPs tampers a bit with the "metagame that they were created in" ideal, in my opinion, but I don't think it overly matters. I am just very thankful this is up and running, haha.

So, how did you get around the numbering issue? Weren't the Gen4 CAP numbers colliding with Gen5 mons, making it difficult to update the site before? It would be nice to know what the new system is so we can plan accordingly. I am a little frustrated that there isn't any other way to add a CAP through the system. However, I trust that you'll continue to do excellent work and help us keep the CAP site up to date, just like you have always done. Thanks again for all of your hard work.

Feedback: It might be nice to put a WIP sign on Mollux and Necturna's strat pages (or rather, add it as there currently is no strat page)
Done and done. I'll keep updating these as more work is done.

In the case of Mollux, yes I know we haven't playtested it yet, but it's probably a good idea to write an "anticipated" strategy page for Mollux anyway. We will be asking newcomers to play our new pokemon on day one, and those newcomers don't have the advantage of being part of two months of creating Mollux. They have no idea what this new pokemon is about. The rest of us may not know exactly how it will play, but we know more than a total newcomer. Write up some sets that we expect to work in playtesting, based on the design discussions we have had so far. Post those sets on the site so newcomers can get up to speed quickly during playtesting. After playtesting, obviously the strategies will have to be updated, perhaps significantly. But the first writeup needs to happen ASAP.
This is a great idea. I'll chat with the current TL, Deck Knight, about how he wants to proceed with this when he comes on IRC. Having something onsite would definitely help users get into the CAP3 Playtest. It probably wouldn't need to be super complex, just a few tidbits on how CAP3 functions in OU.

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
None of the custom moves actually redirect to the move in question, and instead give errors as the pages they try to redirect to do not exist.
Example:

http://www.smogon.com/bw/moves/paleo_wave
Oh no!

The page /bw/moves/paleo_wave does not exist. Would you like to Google for bw moves paleo_wave instead?

Awesome stuff. Very glad this has been done. As someone who only started lurking as Tomohawk was finishing it was always confusing that there seemed to be no real mention of it on the main site.

I'm not sure if this was something you thought you had solved or not, but (at least for me) the side bar still only lists CAPs up to Voodoom when you are on a Pokemon's Strategy tab, although it is fine on the Dex or Moves tabs. Not a massive problem in all honesty, but it still bugs me.

Yeah, the custom moves never led anywhere. I'm guessing that would require more work to do, work that probably isn't worth doing since the CAP move lists describe the custom moves, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)