CAP1 - Part 10.5 - (Pre-Evo Abilities)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, moving right along with our pre-evo!

This stage is for discussion of which abilities CAP1's pre-evo should have. Like typing, we discuss both abilities at once here. CAP1's pre-evo will have exactly 2 abilities, because its evolution has 2 abilities. You may post suggestions here for what you think the ability should be, and discuss what others have suggested as well.

Remember once more that we're not looking for exceptional Pokemon with the best abilities imaginable. Arena Trap, Drizzle, Drought, Huge Power, Imposter, Magic Bounce, Magic Guard, Multitype, Pure Power, Shadow Tag, Tinted Lens, Unaware, Wonder Guard, and Zen Mode are disallowed from being given to CAP1's pre-evo. Everything else, as of current, is free game. That said, I am open to some exceptional abilities that we might not have even considered in the main CAP since this pre-evo is all flavor in its base. This is a purely flavor segment of the CAP; CAP1's pre-evos will be banned during playtest, so don't assume that anything decided here will change the playtest in any way.

Here's our CAP so far:
Cartoons! said:
Name: Tomohawk
Typing: Flying / Fighting
Base Stats: 105 HP / 60 Atk / 90 Def / 115 SpA / 80 SpD / 85 Spe
Abilities: Intimidate / Prankster
Pre-Evos: One

Here's our pre-evo so far:
Typing: Normal / Fighting

Prankster only. Ties in with the evo and also shows that it is yet to have "come of age" the main theme of it having a normal typing.

EDIT: Like the scrappy idea.

Scrappy / Prankster

Prankster seems like it would still fit with the pre-evo, but Intimidate does not. Scrappy seems like a suitable replacement, especially given the pre-evo's typing.

Supporting Thorhammer's Scrappy/Prankster
Prankster works for a playful young'un, and Scrappy shows it's not fully refined fighitng style (and lets it hit ghosts)

Basically, what Thorhammer said

I think Scrappy would seem too much of a potentially good ability, therefore making people opt for an Evo stoned version with scrappy.

I say guts/prankster

Guts also fits with the "coming of age" thing - a child, keen as ever, wanting to be like their "fathers"

also, Guts + Flame orb would be too fragile on a pre-evo, and therefore not worth it, while guts + Evo stone would be useless...

other options: Run away, Keen Eye

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I like Rattled and Prankster.

THawk's Prevo hasn't learned to be a brave hunter yet, so it has a lot of fears. There are also a lot of mons who have Rattled and also Intimidate (either on the same mon like Snubbull/Granbull or an evolution like Magikarp and Poochyena).

I would go for Prankster, as the main ability.

Scrappy, Rattled and Big Pecks are the secondary abilities I am interested in. Scrappy would allow it to hit Ghost-types, and is quite appropriate since the pre-evo is a Normal-type.

Rattled and Big Pecks both project the image of a young, brave pre-evo who is still learning about combat. Big Pecks would be a nice ability, if our pre-evo had been a Flying-type. For this reason, Rattled might be a better option.

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Being the Little Cup enthusiast that I am, I can't let this chance go waste!

Scrappy- Oh yes oh yes oh YES. This ability covers the lack of ghost/dark/probably flying as well moves on preCAP1, meaning this should work extremely well. This tyke can even gain momentum in LC by stopping ghost types!

Prankster - Really fits with a pre-evo, and besides, this will assist it in LC a LOT. Definitely should get this, regardless of Scrappy.

Adaptability - Another good ability, it lets it smack stuff HARD despite not running a boosting item. Should be definitely considered.

I would have supported Compoundeyes, but the fact is, this should be decided after discuss whether this should be physically or specially oriented. If specially based, I would support this ability, as a filler alongside Prankster, in case we go against Scrappy and Adaptability.

Prankster should definitely be one ability.
As some for the others, I like Rattled and Adaptibility.
Lightningrod also seems pretty cool, switching in on Volt Switch for free and stopping the opponents momentum.
Edit: Unaware would be cool if it wasn't banned.

I would like to throw my support behind Rattled, both for the reasons that Deck Knight said, and because it would be nice to see a Pokemon with Rattled who actually resists Bug & Dark moves.

Prankster and Rattled, for the reasons mentioned above. Seriously, they fit perfectly with the flavour we're trying to go with here.

prankster and rattled are sounding pretty good from what I've read. Makes sense flavor-wise and has a few options competitively. scrappy sounds like it might be overpowered, and lightningrod and compoundeyes make no sense from a flavor perspective. compoundeyes is intended for bugs which have actual compound eyes, and lightningrod implies the monster has some sort of way to absorb the elctricity, though seaking is an exception. Might I suggest vital spirit? it makes sense for a fighter, and has some competitive viability.

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm also supporting Rattled/Prankster.

Both abilities just fit extremely well flavor-wise as well as with the typing. Prankster also has some competitive merit.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Prankster just fits, and since Tomo has it, there is no reason tho change it.

Rattled would be my second choice as flavor wise, it just makes sense. Since this Pokemon is not used in playtesting, flavor should come before competitiveness, and Rattled, just makes the most sense for it.

However, since we have yet to decide the flavor ability for Tomohawk, it may well have 3 abilities, so in that case I would not be opposed to Scrappy as its third ability. But I like the other two better for one and two.

Prankster just fits, and since Tomo has it, there is no reason tho change it.

Rattled would be my second choice as flavor wise, it just makes sense. Since this Pokemon is not used in playtesting, flavor should come before competitiveness, and Rattled, just makes the most sense for it.

However, since we have yet to decide the flavor ability for Tomohawk, it may well have 3 abilities, so in that case I would not be opposed to Scrappy as its third ability. But I like the other two better for one and two.
I totally agree.

Prankster should stay. It is kinda ambiguous, and I can see Pre-THawk being Mischievous.

Rattled should become Intimidate. I'm not going to hard quote Deck Knight, but he brings up the biggest reasons for why this makes sense flavour wise (and from a GF p.o.v.)

I dislike the idea of Prankster being it's lone ability.

This would mean that if you caught the pre-evo, you would have no way of knowing what ability it would have when evolved.

In addittion, every single pokemon with 2 abilities has two through it's evolutions.

I feel that Prankster and Scrappy are a good combination.

I'd love to see Hustle combined with Prankster as the abilities. I can just see a little lion cup hustling with lion cub to play, but also to train and get stronger as a warrior.
And then, as he grows up, because of all the strength and experience gained through all the brawls, he will be able to Intimidate his foes before going into battle.

I support either Rattled/Prankster or Hustle/Prankster.

Both Rattled and Hustle serve wildly differing ideas- Rattled -> Intimidate shows a cub that turns the tables as he evolves, gaining his wings allowing him to stand up to the things he used to fear. Hustle, on the other hand, is an interesting option, as it shows a rather hyper cub which battles to prove itself and, upon evolving, is intimidating enough to prove it's experience to others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)