CAP1 - Part 11.5 - (Pre-Evo Art)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion

My lion cub design using Aura Sphere. I am not sure if it will be able to learn Aura Sphere, but it still displays the design from another angle.

My lion cub design using Aura Sphere. I am not sure if it will be able to learn Aura Sphere, but it still displays the design from another angle.
Not to be critical, but the thing on his head is supposed to be his tail, right? So shouldn't we be able to see the tail going up his back in this shot? Also might be nice to see a few feathers, like a necklace or something. Just spitballing, ignore that last bit if you want.

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
Not to be critical, but the thing on his head is supposed to be his tail, right? So shouldn't we be able to see the tail going up his back in this shot? Also might be nice to see a few feathers, like a necklace or something. Just spitballing, ignore that last bit if you want.
It isn't a Flying-type. I don't think feathers would be appropriate. As for the tail going up the back, I have something cool planned for that. It will be explained in the next supporting material picture. :)

Limitless

Success is the best revenge.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I really like your drawing, Kevin, for multiple reasons. First, it obviously looks appealing, with all of its shading and designs. Second, you thought beyond what you were given for the project. You thought about the future implications of the Pokemon, which I think is the true crux of the competition.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just one thing I noticed about your lion cub: in the first picture it looked like the ball on its head was coming down over its forehead. It looked like the top of its actual head was about half way up the ball. In the second picture however, it looks like the ball is propped up so that its bottom is at the very top of the head. Personally I like the look of the first one better, but as was already pointed out, we can't see the tail itself, so I will wait until that is there to really decide.

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
Oh thanks for catching that. I must have forgotten to rotate it. This should look much better.

Since some of you are wondering about the tail I'll just say what I'm going to do with it. The tail being stuck to its back isn't nice looking, but the end of the tail as a hair ball on its head is adorable. What I am planning on doing is having the purple fur currently under the end of the tail go down where I originally planned to have the tail come out. When it evolves, it will be sort of like a transformer. The tail will come out and extend.

Ahhh. Didn't mean to second guess you Garrett. And an interesting way of dealing with the problem. Are you thinking a raised ridge or just the color pattern?

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
Ahhh. Didn't mean to second guess you Garrett. And an interesting way of dealing with the problem. Are you thinking a raised ridge or just the color pattern?
Most likely a color pattern. When I sketched the tail rolled up its back it looked clumpy and took away from the cuteness of it.

What are your opinions on the expression. The current versions I have posted are on the sad, serious, or neutral side. Should I keep that or go with a more cheerful expression?

Gotta say, I really like the hoodie idea on Suntt's version. No clear favorites for me yet personally, but I think that would be a good element to include in other submissions if he didn't mind people stealing it LOL.

So this is my attempt...

He's not matured yet and so is protected by his downy hide, which later becomes his wings. His claws haven't developed either, I figured that wasn't a characteristic that pre-evos tend to have (they're usually more cuddly). I tried to make him look mischievous in keeping with the prankster element of CAP1. I might change bits of it or add some supporting material, but I think its pretty simple and self-explanatory as it is.

I hope you like it, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Draft Concept

Alright, this is just a draft of my concept:

My idea is supposed to be that he shows some elements of the evolution: the few feathers he has are imitating bigger claws because they aren't filled out enough to be wings yet. Also, his ears flatten out on his forehead to look like fangs when he is trying to scare someone away. I also thought that the fact that he looks a little ghost-like might make sense with the option of Scrappy as an ability.

I'll try to put up a nicer looking version soon.

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
I decided to alter my design to make it easier to understand and give it a different general feel. I made the hair more like the mane of its evolved form and then I moved the cute rolled up tail to its back. I also gave it a happier expression and some purple markings for eyebrows and whiskers.

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Thanks everyone for the positive feedback. I cleaned up my sketch and added colours. I'll add some supporting stuff soon.

@guddagudda: In the supporting material for the design, Cartoons mentioned that the fur hardens into feather-like quills, which is why I went for a pre-wing arm and egg design rather than a cub wearing bird feathers type design.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
@Kevin Garrett

This is not a personal attack or anything, but I can't help but feel that your new pose of the prevo looks stupid, in the sense that it lacks intellectual capacity. I can't imagine it being mischievous because mischief requires thought. In this new pose, the only cry I can imagine it making is "Derp."

I think the problem for me is the sitting pose. It just doesn't say Prankster to me at all. It reminds me much more of a teddy bear, which I guess is good... but it still looks like a stupid teddy bear. Maybe make it a bit more active. Take inspiration from Teddiursa, but with a bit more malevolence in its expression or pose.

Bughouse

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
How is the picture of it using Aura Sphere in comparison?
It's great as supporting art, but I don't think it is good for the main submission, since Pokemon almost never (or never not sure which) are using a move in their sprite.

@paintseagull: Yours is probably my favorite so far. Its cute and fluffy, but it still retains an air of mischief and cunning. I have a few critiques, however.

1. The ears. They're a little big, aren't they? I know we can't even see daddy Tomohawk's ears because his hood thing is covering them, so for all we know his could be just as large or even larger. Still, it just seems wrong to me.

2. The eyes. In the original artwork, Tomohawk has pure white scleras with no irises and red pupils. You did yours in a different style, with white sclera, brown irises, and a white pupil. Personally, I think your eyes are more realistic and I prefer them over the original, but there's something to be said for consistency in style. Plus, I think your design could use a little dash of red.

3. The hands. This one is probably the most obvious and easiest to fix. You seem to have forgotten to give him claws on his front paws. I would chalk this up to him being a prevo with lesser attacking prowess, except you gave him claws on his feet. Claws, no claws...either style would look great, but you have to pick one and stick to it.

4. The purple war paint. I feel like you're wasting it. In the original artwork, its painted on it streaks that outline Tomohawk's eyes, making him look angry and menacing (it is, after all, war paint). In yours, it's just a shapeless glob, and you've placed it too far above his eyes. Also, I think you forgot to give it an outline. I'd ask you to fix it, but I honestly think it would be better if you just took it out. I imagine Tomohawk earning his war paint when he evolves, as a mark of his experience and maturity. This is completely a matter of personal preference and it's fine if you don't agree.

Bughouse

Well, yes, I can't use it as the main submission because it's using an attack. I just wanted to make sure that didn't look wrong.
What I will say is that as long as it looks like it is mischievous I will consider it. At the moment even the action pose with Aura Sphere is not quite convincing.

Narrow the eyes a little. Not to Weavile levels,
but do narrow them. It should do a world of help.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
@Jellyhat - I actually like yours the best. It feels the most natural and it's supremely executed. Well done.

The only thing I could ask for is to give it bolder colors.

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
I completely agree with Oglemi. I'm liking jellyhat's design the most out of everything submitted. However, the coloring seems a bit too light as of now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)