CAP 12 CAP1 - Part 12b - (Complete Movepool Poll 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's time for the final showdown! This poll will decide once and for all which moves Tomohawk will and won't be able to use. For a summary of the differences between the movepool submissions, you may refer to this spreadsheet:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...21iWW9ZSUwzbEt4S3lZZlE&hl=en&authkey=CL2G8ZsP

This will be a Bold Vote poll, meaning you may vote for one, and only one, submission. The options for this poll are capefeather and Jibaku.

*bursts in with an epic Final Submission*

Legend:
* - Move is repeated in this or a previous list
. - Move is (almost) required by a different move
! - Move is (almost) required by typing or ability
!! - Move is absolutely required by typing or ability
Bold - A VGM that is not repeated in this or a previous list
00 Sunny Day
00 Aura Sphere
00 Fury Swipes
00 Harden
08 Fury Swipes*
13 Harden*
17 Aerial Ace
20 Morning Sun
23 Whirlwind
29 Rain Dance
33 Earth Power
37 Air Slash

42 Submission
45 Heat Wave
49 Hyper Voice

50 Sky Drop
51 Superpower
53 Rest
55 Hurricane
60 Healing Wish

Unique moves: 18
Unique VGMs: 13
I've taken quite a few creative liberties with the level-up movepool. This CAP is really breaking a lot of ground because it's primary Flying and a Fighting-type with a poor Atk stat. I've always wanted to do a "mage" type learnset, and the shamanistic nature of this CAP has given me the perfect excuse to do so (though my original dream was to reference FF1's Chaos :P ). The "elemental" moves here are Rain Dance, Earth Power, Air Slash and Heat Wave, with Hurricane eventually learned near the end as well.

This learnset is full of sneaky references, which is why I've filled it to the maximum reasonable number of moves. I've incorporated a few of the North American aboriginal creation stories involving the raven (the raven is originally white in Haida myths). It references a myth about the raven stealing the sun, moon, stars (Sunny Day), a firebrand (Heat Wave, I guess), and fresh water (Rain Dance) to give to the mortal world. Sky Drop is somewhat a reference to another myth involving the raven dropping a stone into the ocean to form land. There's also a legend about a seagull and the raven sticking a thorn into its foot, but Spikes is disallowed, so... Aerial Ace and Submission are also here to reference the Street Fighter character T. Hawk. (The anime depicts Aerial Ace as a low-altitude gliding attack, and Submission is similar to the grapple that T. Hawk does.)

The progression is simple enough. I believe that Tomohawk should start off with a "base" special move (Aura Sphere) because it's one of only three special Fighting-type moves. The theme here is that it starts off using naive physical attacks like Fury Swipes and then eventually learns to channel the energies of the spirits and use them. Harden is a reference to Cartoons's original concept, with the fur hardening to act like feathers. I also need a move to fit with Tomohawk's name, a reference to a light axe that is thrown. Giga Impact doesn't quite fit, so Superpower has made it in. Finally, I feel that Tomohawk should get some kind of mind-refresh before getting Hurricane, but Amnesia is banned, so Rest is there instead.

Healing Wish is a cool move IMO; it's kind of a reference to FF6's Sabin (not that anyone used Spiraler or whatever it's called now), but more than that, it just fits somehow with the whole shaman / chieftain deal that this CAP is getting.

05 Roar
06 Toxic!!
08 Bulk Up!
10 Hidden Power!!

11 Sunny Day!*
12 Taunt
15 Hyper Beam!
17 Protect!!
18 Rain Dance*
20 Safeguard.
21 Frustration!!
22 SolarBeam.
26 Earthquake.
27 Return!!
31 Brick Break!
32 Double Team!!
33 Reflect
39 Rock Tomb!
40 Aerial Ace!*
42 Facade!!
44 Rest!!*
45 Attract!!
46 Thief
48 Round!!
49 Echoed Voice.
52 Focus Blast!
54 False Swipe
56 Fling!
58 Sky Drop*
59 Incinerate!!
60 Quash
62 Acrobatics
67 Retaliate!
68 Giga Impact!
70 Flash
78 Bulldoze.
80 Rock Slide!
83 Work Up!!
86 Grass Knot.

87 Swagger!!
90 Substitute!!
94 Rock Smash!!
h2 Fly
h4 Strength!!

Unique moves: 38
Unique VGMs: 16
Most of these are type-move and move-move (almost) requirements. I want to avoid putting in too many Psychic-type moves because I don't think that they fit with the concept (though Reflect is there). Thief is another reference to the trickster aspect mentioned earlier, and a stronger reference to the firebrand is made through Incinerate and Flash. However, despite other Fire-type moves usually being required with Heat Wave, I've chosen not to put them in because I'm already breaking the Fire-type monopoly on level-up Heat Wave.

I also don't have Cut because Tomohawk is an "axe", not a sword (Cut is "Iai Cut", a reference to a sword technique) and this movepool has no claw moves other than Fury Swipes.

Baton Pass (Eevee, Sentret, Furret, Aipom, Ambipom, Girafarig, Mawile, Buneary, Lopunny, Patrat, Watchog)

Confuse Ray (Vulpix, Ninetales, Lapras, Umbreon, Mantine, Stantler, Spoink, Grumpig, Watchog)

Focus Energy (Rattata, Raticate, Nidoran-M, Nidorino, Nidoking, Mankey, Primeape, Torchic, Combusken, Blaziken, Vigoroth, Numel, Camerupt, Stunky, Skuntank)

Haze (Zubat, Golbat, Crobat, Murkrow, Honchkrow)

Memento (Stunky, Skuntank)

Nature Power (Seedot, Nuzleaf, Deerling, Sawsbuck)

Rapid Spin (Sandshrew, Sandslash, Donphan, Torkoal, Drillbur, Excadrill)

Roost (Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Pidgeot, Spearow, Fearow, Hoothoot, Noctowl, Dunsparce, Wingull, Pelipper, Chatot, Pidove, Tranquill, Unfezant, Ducklett, Swanna)

Stealth Rock (Skarmory)

Yawn (Wooper, Quagsire, Dunsparce, Slakoth, Vigoroth, Slaking, Bidoof, Bibarel, Hippopotas, Hippowdon, Pansear, Munna)

Unique moves: 10
Unique VGMs: 9
Also known as the level-up rejects, honestly. Most of these are competitive moves that I really wanted on Tomohawk but couldn't fit into level-up or the machines. You may in particular notice my inclusion of Rapid Spin. Sorry, Delibird :( I think that this is a potentially great move for Tomohawk, and I'd personally like to see what Tomohawk can do with it. Will it be devastatingly effective like Excadrill, or will it be kind of lame like Forretress?

I've put Roost into the egg movepool because Tomohawk isn't really a bird (yeah, "Feather Rest", but still). But it still breeds with birds...? -.- Best not to think about it.

Total unique moves: 66
Total VGMs: 38

Some general comments

I'll admit that my movepool is mostly based on flavour, but the competitive theme here is a small but precise non-attacking movepool. I didn't put in every non-attacking move that "seems interesting" because there are way too many of them and a lot of the good ones are level-up/egg only. Let's be honest, here: Do we really need a super-bloated non-attacking movepool?

I've made an explicit effort to limit or outright avoid moves of the following categories:

Psychic-type (e.g. no Psych Up or Gravity)
Poison-type (e.g. no Sludge Wave)
Moves that modify anything other than Atk or Def (e.g. no Hone Claws)
Moves that can disrupt move choice (e.g. no Torment/Disable/Switcheroo)
Physical moves (all of the physical moves in this pool are justified by flavour or move-move guidelines)

I absolutely do not believe that most Psychic- or Poison-type moves make any sense on Tomohawk. In my view, Tomohawk should be using the powers of nature, not supernatural mind tricks or waves of garbage. (I don't quite get other people's justification of Mimic, either. Tomohawk is using a disguise, not copying others' actions.) I also want Tomohawk's Hurricane to get support entirely from rain or another Pokémon's Gravity, and not set it up for itself (other than with Rain Dance). I also find choice-disrupting moves potentially broken with this CAP, so I have excluded them. The movepool still does have some gems like bulky Substitute, Healing Wish, Memento, Roost and Yawn (arguably better than sleep if the opponent stays in).

You may have noticed that Baton Pass is this movepool's only switching move. Screw Volt Switch -.- Only Electric-types and Steel-types learn it. It doesn't make sense! Baton Pass is clearly the most effective switching move to include here, so that's what I have done.

I've also completely ignored move-move guidelines for Stealth Rock and Heat Wave. The main justification for this is that Tomohawk is not a Rock-type (or mainly rock-dwelling creature) or a Fire-type, so I'm violating "canon" a bit anyway by including these moves. I really didn't want to have to put in stuff like Sandstorm (doesn't make much sense to me) or Flame Charge (disallowed).
This is a draft:

Tomohawk levelup pool:
--- Hurricane
--- Quick Attack
--- Tail Whip
--- Mimic
--- Follow Me
06 Mimic
09 Follow Me
13 Double Kick
15 Nature Power
18 Quick Guard
22 Assist
25 Imprison
30 Slash
36 Roost
39 Air Slash
45 Tailwind
48 Mirror Move
53 Aura Sphere

Total VGMs (6):
Hurricane
Quick Attack
Nature Power
Roost
Air Slash
Aura Sphere

Total Unique Moves: 16
With Repeats: 18

Pre evo exclusive moves: (VGM: 2, Total Moves: 3)
Hyper Voice
Encore
Swift

Flavor Reasoning: Okay let's just say I got a bit lazy here and didn't do a lot of research on shamans/gryphons/griffins/cats so I decided to go by instinct. The first move I placed here is Hurricane. You may consider this an extremely odd choice, considering that Hurricane is often the last move on many Pokemon. However, I think it is nice to twist this around a bit. Pokemon such as Scolipede, Torterra, and Regis (in 3rd gen), learn an extremely powerful attack at Lv--- (Megahorn, Wood Hammer, Explosion, respectively). Since I want to emphasize on the Flying primary, it's great to start off with a flying move.

Quick Attack was thrown in for not much reason but to be a starting move really. Tail Whip, Mimic (hello faux griffin), and Follow Me are basically for cute stuff. Follow Me here represents two things: Tomohawk's leadership role, and its pre evo's alluring charm. Leveling up further, it begins learning how to fight and gets Double Kick. Next step up is nature appreciation. Living in harmony, "Minihawk"'s curiosity of the surrounding environment gave it the ability to use Nature Power. "Minihawk"'s training against each other eventually got them to learn Quick Guard to shield against moves such as Quick Attack.

Assist, or in Japanese, "cat's paw", helps emphasize the cat-like nature of Minihawk and Tomohawk. Minihawk has learned to borrow from more than just nature, but also it's teammates. Imprison is a neat trick it has up its sleeve. With Mimic around, it can disable one of the opponents moves - something it likes to do as a prankster. I don't have a lot of reason for Slash really but hey let's give it some claw-ish move.

Lv. 36 is evolution time! Immediately upon evolving, Tomohawk learns Roost. This symbolizes a relief from its training as a "Minihawk", and a time to reflect on what is coming up. Three levels later, it masters Air Slash to celebrate its newfound ability to control the air. Then Tailwind.

Mirror Move in Japanese is "Parrot Mimicry", which I think works better on Tomohawk than Minihawk. Given Tomohawk's bird costume, I'd say it's pretty good at mimicking.

Aura Sphere is the final stage of its training. Connecting its spiritual self and the outside world, it lets loose its inner life force in the form of a guided bomb.

Yeah it's a long and boring-ish story but I hope it didn't put people to sleep

Egg Moves:
Egg Group: Flying / Ground (I hate illegalities)
(Assume they all come from Smeargle)
VGM: 11, Total: 12
Close Combat
Haze
Perish Song
Sing
Baton Pass
Yawn
Whirlwind
Healing Wish
Vacuum Wave
Stealth Rock
Wish
Switcheroo

Flavor Reasoning: Considering that the primary typing for "Minihawk" is Normal, I decided that Flying/Ground represents this well. Ground in particular represents the ascension of the Pokemon. From the earth it is born, and to where it can eventually fly.

Oh and I hate illegalities.

You may notice that a lot of VGMs are stuffed here. There is one reason for this and it is to portray the griffin's immense dedication towards its partner. A griffin will not remarry if its partner died. In reward for its dedication with its partner, it learns more than an average Pokemon could, and passes down the knowledge to its offspring to celebrate "the best they can do in this marriage".

TMs/HMs:
TM 01 Hone Claws
TM 04 Water Pulse
TM 05 Roar (Whirlwind clone)
TM 06 Toxic (req)
TM 08 Bulk Up (req)
TM 10 Hidden Power (req)
TM 11 Sunny Day (req)
TM 12 Taunt
TM 15 Hyper Beam (req)
TM 17 Protect (req)
TM 18 Rain Dance (req)
TM 20 Safeguard (M-M with Healing Wish)
TM 21 Frustration
TM 27 Return

TM 31 Brick Break (req)
TM 32 Double Team (req)
TM 33 Reflect
TM 40 Aerial Ace (req)
TM 41 Torment
TM 42 Façade (req)
TM 44 Rest (req)
TM 45 Attract
TM 46 Thief
TM 47 Low Sweep
TM 48 Round
TM 49 Echoed Voice
TM 51 Ally Switch
TM 52 Focus Blast (req)
TM 56 Fling
TM 58 Sky Drop
TM 62 Acrobatics
TM 68 Giga Impact
TM 83 Work Up (req)
TM 86 Grass Knot
TM 89 U-turn
TM 90 Substitute (req)
TM 94 Rock Smash (req)
HM 01 Cut
HM 02 Fly
HM 04 Strength
Unique VGM Count: 19. Total VGM Count: 21
Total Unique Moves: 38. Total Moves: 40

Overall Unique VGM Count: 38
Overall Unique Moves Count: 69

Also Rapid Spin can go die in fire for this CAP

This poll will close in 24 hours. Choose wisely!

capefeather

As much as I hate the flavor, 'dat Rapid Spin is too important to me. I really love your movepool either way, Jibaku, and I'd be happy enough with either winning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)