CAP1 - Part 14.5 - (Pre-Evo Sprite Submissions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next up!

While CAP1 is basically done, we will trek on and continue crafting our pre-evo. We've gotten most things taken care of, but all that stands left in our way is sprites, movepools, and maybe dex entries after that. Movepool submissions will go up after the name polls finish up, so hoorah. That said, this is the sprite submissions thread for PreCAP1. This is where we will develop the server face for our first community-made little CAP. Below I will include both what our CAP looks like (and its sprites) and what our PreCAP looks like, so that people looking to work on PreCAP1's sprites will know what it'll eventually turn into.

Here's the CAP's artwork:
Main Design

Supporting Material

Side-on pose showing spots and egg shaped body.

This Tomohawk prevo concept is a little cub with a protective fluffy egg body. The ruffles around its face show the beginnings of the feather-like fur that Tomohawk uses for flight after it evolves. Its wide, flat, oversized arms hint at wings. Tomohawk's purple markings are foreshadowed in the purple spots on cub-hawk's egg body.
Typing: Normal / Fighting
Base Stats: 55 HP / 85 Atk / 80 Def / 20 SpA / 70 SpD / 40 Spe
Abilities: Scrappy / Prankster

Rules:

• 1) Sprites should be inspired by the winning design from the Art Poll. It does not need to be an exact rendition of every detail of the design; "artistic license" is granted to all spriters. However, drastic deviation from the selected art design is discouraged.

• 2) All sprites (front and back) can have a maximum size of 96x96 .

• 3) All sprites (front and back) must have a complete, unbroken, distinguishable outline. It does not need to be a black outline, but it must be clearly distinguishable from the adjacent interior colors of the sprite.

• 4) No action effects, move effects, environment effects or additional objects can be rendered on or around the pokemon.

• 5) Sprites must be in PNG format.

• 6) Use 8-bit truecolor (aka 8-bit RGB) or less. This does NOT mean 256 color mode.

• 7) Use transparent backgrounds.

• 8) Fusions of other sprites are not allowed. All sprites must be scratch sprites.

• 9) Do not alter, fuse, recolor or otherwise modify another spriter's submission – unless the original artist explicitly gives permission.

• 10) All sprites (front and back) must use roughly the same size and pose when compared to each other.
I expect anybody who wants to submit sprites to heed these rules very closely. Submissions that don't follow these guidelines will be disqualified, and the posts deleted. What goes to the actual sprite poll is decided by my personal preference and feedback within the thread, and that decision is final. By submitting something here, you are stating that you are willing to conform to these guidelines and standards, and that you won't complain about them in this thread or elsewhere.

Additional Information

There are 8 possible sprites:

• Front Normal Male
  • Front Normal Female
  • Front Shiny Male
  • Front Shiny Female
  • Back Normal Male
  • Back Normal Female
  • Back Shiny Male
  • Back Shiny Female
In most cases, spriters submit a Front Normal sprite first. Once feedback comes in and the poll nears, they make the other sprites. Animations are not required and will not be used as part of the final product; however, it does add to the "appeal" aspect of your submission. You do not have to make different Male and Female sprites, but it helps. Since there are only minute differences between most in-game male and female sprites, it's not very hard to tweak the sprite for a different gender. Some spriters have made noticeable changes between genders, and that's fine too. Shinies are just recolors, so that's not too tough. There's lots of people that can't scratch, that are willing to recolor your shiny, if you really don't want to do it yourself. Just ask in the submission thread and you'll get plenty of offers to help. Please look at your transparent sprites against different colored backgrounds, not just white.

Much of this post was taken shamelessly from reachzero's sprite submissions for Tomohawk! <3

Have fun, and do your best, artists!

I'm back.

Ice-cold Claws, unsheathing his blood-stained claws,
steps onto the scene with renewed hunger.
With his claws, he scratches.

Suddenly.

BOOM and there's your outline. :)
I'm back! C+C would be very, very much appreciated.

Oh! I wasn't really expecting Pre-Evo sprites, for some reason. How long will we have to do this?

@Ice-cold Claws: I think it's a bit big in comparison to the final form. I mean, if you look at stuff like Baby Pokémon and various evolutionary lines you can see that (barring Pokémon that have a combined head-body) the head is usually around the same size as the final form. I mean, you still get stuff like Piplup who's got a seriously HUGE noggin, but even so, yours is approaching twice the size. I think a larger body and smaller head might be a little better.

@QuimicVital: ahh posting while I'm posting. Basically the same thing, I think it's a little big in comparison to the final form.

wekhter said:
How long will we have to do this?
These will be open for about a week or so. Maybe more.

I personally feel that something the size of Gible is what we should look for in preCAP1. I do think Quimic and ICC's are slightly big, but not by too much that it's a problem. Quimic, you should definitely make sure that yours faces the correct direction (it should be looking left).

More Cowbell is also right. You need to make sure that your sprite is very clearly not a pixel-over of the artwork.

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Ice-cold Claws: This is a very cute pose, I like it! I agree with wehkter about the head size. Also, his legs are a bit off. It looks like his claws are floating in space, not really connected to anything, because there's no connecting line. Making his claws smaller might also help that. And one small nitpick, I envisioned his tail as always curving up over his body, the way his spine curves make that downward tail a bit awkward (you can see that curve I'm talking about better in the side-view). But that is artistic license, so if you disagree it's fine.

This is what I have so far.
I had it holding it's own tale like a one of those shaman sticks, but then I realized it's a physical attacker so I replaced it with claws.

This comment came 5 hours late due to minor technical problems
YAY COMMENTS
Wekhter *salute to you for 0wning me in Tomo sprite poll <('-'), *:
The head...it isn't...*checks links* NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO where will the cuteness go then
Guess I'll have to do it, but not now: I have exams this week.
Speaking of exams this week,
These will be open for about a week or so. Maybe more.
GOD SAVE US ASDASDASDASDA

paintseagull (hello Tomoprevo's artist :] ) :
1.Yeah the head and body gotta be corrected don't they...<:(
2.How...how are the legs off exactly?
3.The claws...are connected, I guess it's less visible due to being just an outline.
4.I was thinking of raising the tail too, until I decided to follow DV's Tomo tail pose. It's not that I hate raised tails :)
Well yeah that's all, I needa study so I'll post like tonight (which is very sadly your midnight). :(

EDIT: Oh well guess what, I'm even sick. Now I gotta do it tomorrow (for sure). Sorry guys I know I suck :<

Hi all! got some sprites for youse to take a gander at:

got 2 versions here for your consideration; the leftmost one is more to scale with Tomohawk's sprite, and the rightmost is large (slightly taller than Teddiursa), but cute and detailed.
critique and advice is welcome, especially vis-a-vis highlights and the usage of, and how to improve the outline.

got 2 versions here for your consideration; the leftmost one is more to scale with Tomohawk's sprite, and the rightmost is large (slightly taller than Teddiursa), but cute and detailed.
critique and advice is welcome, especially vis-a-vis highlights and the usage of, and how to improve the outline.
Personally, I prefer the left one. It covers minuscule things that look sort of weird...

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack

The left looks small for a Pokemon Sprite, but I like it more than the right. :\

Mos-Quitoxe, I think its eyes are too close together in both versions and that its forehead is way too big. I think the eyes aren't positioned properly on the face. That said, I prefer the size of the right one because it's more in line with Gible's size on its sprite.

Alright, here's my "completed" front sprite. Comments and concerns, pleeeeaaaase!

EDIT, Mos-Quitoxe, is this better? (also I fixed the hands, I think I had 5 digits on the right hand):

DOUBLE EDIT (Cleaned up the feathers):

I'll get to work on the back sprite right now.

Oh, and I don't think there should be any gender differences (if anyone was following Tomohawk's sprite thread). So yeah, I'm not doing them.

Mos-Quitoxe, I think its eyes are too close together in both versions and that its forehead is way too big. I think the eyes aren't positioned properly on the face. That said, I prefer the size of the right one because it's more in line with Gible's size on its sprite.

left eye moved 1 pixel away from right, out-line more in-line with Tomohawk's, and tail moved away from body.
Still can't get the legs right...

Also Attract, it may do you well to move the part of the tail below the arm upwards in order to shorten it. At the moment it's too thin.

This is what I have for an outline so far. C+C would be welcome and very, very helpful. Also, how do you make the background transparent?

This is what I have for an outline so far. C+C would be welcome and very, very helpful. Also, how do you make the background transparent?
While detailed and proportionate, it really needs to be much smaller. Can't have the prevo bigger than the evo now can we?
(gloom-->bellossom is a...special case)
also to make the background transparent you need to erase it.

Quick way of getting transparent background for those who are stuck using MS Paint or whatever:

Make the background a colour that is not used at all in your sprite. Go here. Upload your sprite. In the list of ways to tweak your image, click on the first item in the far right column. Then, select the colour to make transparent and, if necessary, tweak the "fuzz" setting (don't worry if you get it wrong the first time; you can hit the back button on your browser and try again).

Here are my sprites so far. Honestly, I'm totally lost with the back sprite. I can't see this guy growing feathers out of its head, but the full body suit looks odd. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :D

Front:

Back:

Mos-Quitoxe, like this?:
or this:

Yeah that looks much better now Attract :) but I don't think it should have a brown patch down the back of it's head, leave it tan.

@Attract: can't really tell from the artwork, can you? Would love to get paintseagulls input on this, but personally I kind of like the color going up the back of the head like in your original backsprite. It Just looks a little odd around the neck, like it's not quite connecting right.

Haha, totes. I already pm'd paintseagull about it but s/he hasn't gotten back to me yet.

*cough* Umm, what exactly would you like to see the neck look like, worcestershire? Smoother? Fluffier? Covering the ears more? I've tried quite a few things but nothing "works".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)