1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

CAP1 - Part 16 - (Pre-Evo Movepool Submissions)

Discussion in 'CAP Pre-Evolution Workshop' started by Rising_Dusk, May 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rising_Dusk

Rising_Dusk
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Alright, now onto the last competitive part of PreCAP1, the movepool!

Unlike a normal CAP's movepool, the pre-evolution for a CAP has multiple different restrictions placed on its movepool. Below is a listing of all the different requirements in effect:

• You must use the entire egg movepool of Tomohawk as Scratchet's egg movepool.
      If the parent has egg moves, the pre-evolution needs the same egg moves. No exceptions, no changes. Similarly, the egg groups must be the same.
    • You cannot add new moves to the movepool that do not appear in Tomohawk's movepool.
      If Tomohawk doesn't have a move, that means its pre-evo cannot have that move. Simple as that.
    I'm going to provide a little personal insight for pre-evo movepools, since we've never done these in seriousness before now. Keep in mind that a pre-evo's movepool usually indicates some manner of evolution method, and almost always have limited options. Scratchet should not have every move that Tomohawk does! Almost no pre-evolved form has absolutely every move, so cut a few out here and there, and bring it down a couple of notches where applicable. Also keep in mind that almost no Pokemon pre-evolution movepool has vast differences between the evolved and unevolved level-up movepools. There may be slight differences, but nothing terribly drastic unless you can justify it well enough! I know these restrictions limit a lot of creativity, and I don't particularly know how much variation we can even get out of this stage, but we're going to go through with it to find out! Good luck!

The following list of moves must be used as Scratchet's egg movepool:
    Code:
    Baton Pass
    Confuse Ray
    Focus Energy
    Haze
    Memento
    Nature Power
    Rapid Spin
    Roost
    Stealth Rock
    Yawn
    For convenience, below is the movepool for Tomohawk and all of the author's explanations as to why it got what and what was on his mind.
    Here's our pre-evo so far:
    Name: Scratchet
    Typing: Normal / Fighting
    Base Stats: 55 HP / 85 Atk / 80 Def / 20 SpA / 70 SpD / 40 Spe
    Abilities: Scrappy / Prankster / Vital Spirit (DW)
  2. jas61292

jas61292 used substitute
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator

Final Submission

Level Up Moves (open)

00 Fury Swipes
    09 Harden
    13 Focus Energy
    18 Rock Smash
    23 Roar
    27 Work Up
    32 Submission
    36 Hyper Voice
    40 Bulk Up
    45 Superpower
    49 Taunt
    53 Rest
    57 Retaliate

So, for the level up pool, I took Tomohawk's and removed all the moves that had to do with mythical powers (such as Aura Sphere and Earth Power) or the ability to fly (such as Hurricane and Air Slash), as these are things that Scratchet lacks. Unfortunately, without these moves the level up pool becomes fairly sparse, so I went through the TMs it can learn and chose ones that seemed appropriate and added them in, such as Bulk Up and Retaliate. I also added in Focus Energy from the Egg Moves, because it really needed some basic moves like that (and yes, there are some cases where Pokemon have a level up move as an egg move as well, so its not completely weird).

As far as evolution, like most Pokemon I imagine Scratchet would evolve by level up, and not have any specific requirements. I was thinking possibly requiring a specific move to evolve, but I noticed that the only instances of that happening are when the Pokemon and its evolution were introduced in different generations, and that is not the case for Scratchet, so I think the basic level up method is more appropriate. However, I think it would be cool if it evolved at level 23, because that way it would learn two nearly equivalent moves, Roar and Whirlwind, at the same level. Roar, representing a normal grounded mammal, comes before it evolves and Whirlwind, representing the new powers of flight it has gained, comes after.

TMs and HM (open)

TM05 Roar
    TM06 Toxic
    TM08 Bulk Up
    TM10 Hidden Power
    TM11 Sunny Day
    TM12 Taunt
    TM17 Protect
    TM18 Rain Dance
    TM20 Safeguard
    TM21 Frustration
    TM27 Return
    TM31 Brick Break
    TM32 Double Team
    TM33 Reflect
    TM39 Rock Tomb
    TM40 Aerial Ace
    TM42 Facade
    TM44 Rest
    TM45 Attract
    TM46 Thief
    TM48 Round
    TM49 Echoed Voice
    TM52 Focus Blast
    TM54 False Swipe
    TM56 Fling
    TM60 Quash
    TM67 Retaliate
    TM70 Flash
    TM78 Bulldoze
    TM80 Rock Slide
    TM83 Work Up
    TM86 Grass Knot
    TM87 Swagger
    TM90 Substitute
    TM94 Rock Smash
    HM04 Strength

The TM set pretty much followed the same logic as the level up moves, remove the mythical power and flying related moves. Though despite removing it from the level up set, I did leave Aerial Ace in the TM pool. This is mainly because while all sorts of Pokemon can learn this move via TM, only Flying types get it via level up (With the single exception of Heracross, which is kinda weird). Additionally, I removed Hyper Beam and Giga Impact, as with the exception of a few who also get one of them via level up, no unevolved Pokemon can learn these TMs (well, unless they were formerly fully evolved).

Egg Moves (open)

Baton Pass
    Confuse Ray
    Focus Energy
    Haze
    Memento
    Nature Power
    Rapid Spin
    Roost
    Stealth Rock
    Yawn

Obviously, the egg moves are all the same as Tomohawks, so not much to say here.
  3. Pippy

Pippy

Movepool:
    Show Hide

EGG Baton Pass
    EGG Confuse Ray
    EGG Focus Energy
    EGG Haze
    EGG Memento
    EGG Nature Power
    EGG Rapid Spin
    EGG Roost
    EGG Stealth Rock
    EGG Yawn
    00 Rock Smash
    00 Work Up
    05 Fury Swipes
    10 Harden
    13 Aerial Ace
    19 Whirlwind
    27 Air Slash
    36 Submission
    43 Hyper Voice
    47 Sky Drop
    50 Superpower
    52 Rest

TM/HM

05 Roar
    06 Toxic
    08 Bulk Up
    10 Hidden Power
    11 Sunny Day
    12 Taunt
    15 Hyper Beam
    17 Protect
    18 Rain Dance
    20 Safeguard
    21 Frustration
    26 Earthquake
    27 Return
    31 Brick Break
    32 Double Team
    39 Rock Tomb
    40 Aerial Ace
    42 Facade
    44 Rest
    45 Attract
    46 Thief
    48 Round
    49 Echoed Voice
    54 False Swipe
    56 Fling
    58 Sky Drop
    59 Incinerate
    60 Quash
    62 Acrobatics
    67 Retaliate
    68 Giga Impact
    78 Bulldoze
    80 Rock Slide
    83 Work Up
    86 Grass Knot
    87 Swagger
    90 Substitute
    94 Rock Smash
    h2 Fly
    h4 Strength

I just took out all the ones that have to do with "mythical powers" as Scratchet gains these powers when he evolves.
  4. NijaSkills

NijaSkills

Might I suggest removing sunny day and rain dance from his movepool? They could be attributed to mythical powers (the ability to control the weather), and more importantly, prankster weather moves in LC could be overpowering.
  5. HeavyOctillery

HeavyOctillery

Ugh, not having Scratch, Growl, etc. is going to make this a tad difficult, buuuuuut not impossible: (FINAL SUBMISSION)

Level Up: (open)

01 Fury Swipes
    01 Harden
    08 Rock Smash
    13 Morning Sun
    17 Roar
    20 Focus Energy
    23 Taunt
    29 Brick Break
    32 Submission
    35 Nature Power
    41 Hyper Voice
    44 Superpower

Explanation (open)

Yes, this time I added the levels. I've just noticed that the level gaps for Tomo's moves are a tad screwy when compared to those of a GF Poke, which usually have a pattern of some sort (4,5,4,5,4,5, etc.) that only changes after evolution, in which there's just a slightly different pattern. So, Scratchet's level gaps start the same as Tomo's to at least keep in line with that part. Also, doubling up on beginning moves, IIRC, only usually applies to the evo.....which just makes this screwier. I just winged (pardon pun) the rest of it.

The movepool is slightly smaller, as many prevos' are, with a few fitting TM moves rounding it out. Of course, all the Flying moves & shamanistic moves are out, with Roar suitably replacing Whirlwind. Nature Power (originally Hidden Power, but this is more fitting) is there to show a slight hint of its future powers, though. Rock Smash & Brick Break were the only 2 suitable Fighting moves I saw being workable into the movepool, so I added those. Focus Energy & Taunt sounded fitting with its style, so those went in as well. Rest was excluded since it clashes with Vital Spirit (which Tomo loses & replaces with Justified anyway).

I was thinking it would evolve by Item Level Up; maybe the item is passed down to a carefully selected Scratchet by the leading Tomohawk before stepping down, allowing it to become the new leader upon levelling up - with a certain percentage of wild Scratchet & a higher percentage of wild Tomo holding the item.

TMs/HMs (open)

05 Roar
    06 Toxic
    08 Bulk Up
    10 Hidden Power
    11 Sunny Day
    12 Taunt
    17 Protect
    18 Rain Dance
    20 Safeguard
    21 Frustration
    22 SolarBeam
    27 Return
    31 Brick Break
    32 Double Team
    33 Reflect
    39 Rock Tomb
    40 Aerial Ace
    42 Facade
    44 Rest
    45 Attract
    46 Thief
    48 Round
    49 Echoed Voice
    52 Focus Blast
    54 False Swipe
    56 Fling
    67 Retaliate
    70 Flash
    78 Bulldoze
    80 Rock Slide
    83 Work Up
    86 Grass Knot
    87 Swagger
    90 Substitute
    94 Rock Smash
    HM04 Strength

Explanation (open)
    Removed all the obvious choices, although I left Aerial Ace in since lots of non-winged mammalian Pokes get it anyway. Left in SolarBeam so it can still have Prankster SunnyBeam - not like it'll do much w/ no STAB and piddly Sp.Atk.

Egg Moves (Ground/Flying) (open)

Baton Pass (Eevee, Sentret, Furret, Aipom, Ambipom, Girafarig, Mawile, Buneary, Lopunny, Patrat, Watchog)

Confuse Ray (Vulpix, Ninetales, Lapras, Umbreon, Mantine, Stantler, Spoink, Grumpig, Watchog)

Focus Energy (Rattata, Raticate, Nidoran-M, Nidorino, Nidoking, Mankey, Primeape, Torchic, Combusken, Blaziken, Vigoroth, Numel, Camerupt, Stunky, Skuntank)

Haze (Zubat, Golbat, Crobat, Murkrow, Honchkrow)

Memento (Stunky, Skuntank)

Nature Power (Seedot, Nuzleaf, Deerling, Sawsbuck)

Rapid Spin (Sandshrew, Sandslash, Donphan, Torkoal, Drillbur, Excadrill)

Roost (Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Pidgeot, Spearow, Fearow, Hoothoot, Noctowl, Dunsparce, Wingull, Pelipper, Chatot, Pidove, Tranquill, Unfezant, Ducklett, Swanna)

Stealth Rock (Skarmory)

Yawn (Wooper, Quagsire, Dunsparce, Slakoth, Vigoroth, Slaking, Bidoof, Bibarel, Hippopotas, Hippowdon, Pansear, Munna)

Show Hide

Dunno why I'm even bothering when it's the same........
  6. jas61292

jas61292 used substitute
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator

I removed them from the level up set for flavor reasons, but you can't really convince me that it shouldn't get the TMs. It is a basic first stage fighting type, and when Mankey, Machop, Tyrogue, Makuhita, Meditite, Riolu, Croagunk, Timburr, Scraggy, and Mienfoo all get it, it would be stranger for it not to have them the if it did.
  7. Tortferngatr

Tortferngatr

jas61292: Actually, NFE mons that for whatever reason get either Giga Impact or Hyper Beam by level-up do get it by TM. See also: Axew [gets Giga Impact by level and TM] and Klink [gets Hyper Beam by levelup and TM].

NijaSkills: A lot of mons get those two moves by TM-sure, the mons that get them via level usually have a good reason, but when freaking Machop learns TM sunny day, you know there isn't a problem. Not only that, but LC has access to Snover, Vulpix, and Hippopotas. Priority Rain Dance probably wouldn't be broken in LC-in fact, it might be helpful in shutting down Sun sweepers (though I don't really have access to PL right now and don't really play LC, so don't quote me on this.)

Also, I would like to propose that moves that would be truly uncompetitive/already have a superior equivalent for the evolved form(s) of the CAP be allowed for addition to prevo movepools. Just a thought-I was disappointed when there wasn't Hone Claws (sorry capefeather), Defense Curl, Night Slash, Tail Whip, Growl (although that might actually be useful lol), Slash, Karate Chop, Teeter Dance, or heck even Scratch in this thing's movepool. Besides, if we coded in Scratchet, it wouldn't be too hard to add a few moves to Tomo's movepool (like Teeter Dance, which is a total clone of Confuse Ray and makes flavor sense on something so small and clumsy-looking) in the mean time.

Finally, here:

Levelup moves (open)

00 Rock Smash
    08 Fury Swipes
    13 Yawn
    17 Aerial Ace
    20 Morning Sun
    23 Roar
    29 Facade
    33 Hidden Power
    37 Acrobatics
    42 Submission
    49 Hyper Voice

51 Superpower
    53 Rest
    55 Giga Impact
    60 Memento

TM/HM moves (open)

05 Roar
    06 Toxic!!
    08 Bulk Up!
    10 Hidden Power!!

11 Sunny Day!*
    12 Taunt
    15 Hyper Beam!
    17 Protect!!
    18 Rain Dance*
    20 Safeguard.
    21 Frustration!!
    22 SolarBeam.
    27 Return!!
    31 Brick Break!
    32 Double Team!!
    33 Reflect
    39 Rock Tomb!
    40 Aerial Ace!*
    42 Facade!!
    44 Rest!!*
    45 Attract!!
    46 Thief
    48 Round!!
    49 Echoed Voice.
    52 Focus Blast!
    54 False Swipe
    56 Fling!
    59 Incinerate
    60 Quash
    62 Acrobatics
    67 Retaliate!
    68 Giga Impact
    70 Flash
    80 Rock Slide!
    83 Work Up!!
    86 Grass Knot.

87 Swagger!!
    90 Substitute!!
    94 Rock Smash!!
    h2 Fly
    h4 Strength!!

Egg moves (open)

Baton Pass
    Confuse Ray
    Focus Energy
    Haze
    Memento
    Nature Power
    Rapid Spin
    Roost
    Stealth Rock
    Yawn
  8. jas61292

jas61292 used substitute

I know that. What I was trying to say was that the only Pokemon that can learn those moves but are not fully evolved either were fully evolved at one point or learn one of them via level up as well. This was to say that since Scratchet doesn't get them via level up in my moveset, it should not get them via TM.

Though, fun fact, there is one exception to that rule. Nuzleaf can learn the Hyper Beam and Giga Impact TMs, but is not fully evolved, never was fully evolved, and doesn't learn them by level up.
  9. Deck Knight

Deck Knight A Knight for the Aegis
    is a Forum Moderatoris a CAP Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor

I'll try my hand at this.

Final Submission:

Level-up (open)

- Fury Swipes
    - Harden
    5 Rock Smash
    11 Yawn
    13 Confuse Ray
    17 Aerial Ace
    20 Nature Power
    23 Roar
    25 Focus Energy
    29 Submission
    35 Hyper Voice
    37 Air Slash
    41 Superpower
    47 Healing Wish

The story here is that Scratchet is a devious little scamp, and I pulled most of its "new" level-up moves from Egg. The exception is Rock Smash, the only real "weak" Fighting-type attack in its movepool. The evolution method is Leveling up with Air Slash, which both learn at Level 37.

Like most Pokemon that grow wings when they evolve, Scratchet has a lot fewer moves than Tomohawk. I based its level progession off of Venonat's, since Venomoth has similar expansion. The two share several things in common: Aerial Ace at 17, and instead of Whirlwind, Scratchet has Roar at Level 23. It's final 4 attacks are Submission, Hyper Voice, Superpower, and Healing Wish. Not an exact match with Tomohawk, but good enough.

Flavorwise, I thought of Scratchet as having a decent level of natural intuition but not a lot of the mystic powers. This is why he was Nature Power over Morning Sun at Level 20. It doesn't learn the weather moves naturally, but it does pick up Focus Energy for evolving. Basically Scratchet is comfortable in its body and natural surroundings, but doesn't have a whole lot of mystical ability yet.

Egg Moves (open)

Baton Pass
    Confuse Ray
    Focus Energy
    Haze
    Memento
    Nature Power
    Rapid Spin
    Roost
    Stealth Rock
    Yawn

The Egg Moves are the same, as required.

TM/HM (open)

05 Roar
    06 Toxic
    08 Bulk Up
    10 Hidden Power
    11 Sunny Day
    12 Taunt
    17 Protect
    18 Rain Dance
    20 Safeguard
    21 Frustration
    26 Earthquake
    27 Return
    31 Brick Break
    32 Double Team
    39 Rock Tomb
    40 Aerial Ace
    42 Facade
    44 Rest
    45 Attract
    46 Thief
    48 Round
    49 Echoed Voice
    52 Focus Blast
    54 False Swipe
    56 Fling
    59 Incinerate
    60 Quash
    67 Retaliate
    78 Bulldoze
    80 Rock Slide
    83 Work Up
    86 Grass Knot
    87 Swagger
    90 Substitute
    94 Rock Smash
    h4 Strength

Like most tykes, Scratchet has a more abbreviated TM/HM list. Because it is primarily a physical attacker with an Attack on par with Machop, it has a lot of strong physical attacks.

The following TMs were scrapped: Hyper Beam, Solarbeam, Reflect, Sky Drop, Giga Impact, Flash. Scratchet doesn't really have the mystical power of Tomohawk yet, or the wings, so it lost some special attacks and a few support moves. Most of the rest of Tomohawk's lost movepool is in the Flying-type associated moves.
  10. HeavyOctillery

HeavyOctillery

While I agree with this, that would go against Tomo's own movepool, thus still creating an issue since we're already in the middle of testing.
  11. jas61292

jas61292 used substitute

My thoughts exactly. As nice as more moves would be, it would change Tomo's movepool, which we really do not want to do.

Though I would support an exception for Scratch, for obvious reasons.
  12. Rising_Dusk

Rising_Dusk
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Yes, as much as I'd love to just say "Yeah, SCRATCHet should get SCRATCH", the pre-evo is absolutely driven by the CAP itself. We cannot as part of the process allow any new moves into the movepool that would consequently change the voted-in movepool for Tomohawk. That movepool was voted in, and to be honest, Tomohawk is the main result of CAP1, not Scratchet. Scratchet is a for-fun side project for completeness of the Pokemon, and so it gets dragged around by Tomo, not the other way around.
  13. jas61292

jas61292 used substitute

I know, I know. I honestly wasn't expecting it to be allowed. It just seems kinda odd without it.
  14. Rising_Dusk

Rising_Dusk

Just a heads up, but I am going to close this thread in about 12 hours from now, so if you have any changes to make to your submissions, hop to it! Also, don't forget to label your submissions as Final Submission if you want it to count for the poll!
  15. wekhter

wekhter

Hey, it's a Final Submission.

It took a long time to think this through, since working backwards isn't exactly ideal. After all, Tomohawk's movepool wasn't really designed with either Scratchet's typing change or Attack/Special Attack flip in mind. Ah, well.

Leveling (open)
    00 Sunny Day
    00 Fury Swipes
    00 Harden
    00 Roar
    08 Fury Swipes
    13 Harden
    17 Aerial Ace
    20 Morning Sun
    23 Whirlwind
    29 Rain Dance
    33 Earth Power
    37 Acrobatics
    40 Submission
    43 Hyper Voice
    47 Superpower
    50 Healing Wish

First of all, I took Aura Sphere out of the starting moves and replaced it with Roar. Not only is it pretty standard for an evolution to have different starting moves than its prevo, but Aura Sphere doesn't really do much for Scratchet, with 20 base Special Attack. I decided to have Scratchet evolve when knowing Earth Power. Therefore, Scratchet's level-up moves mirror Tomohawk's until it learns Earth Power at level 33. From there, they begin to diverge. Instead of learning Air Slash at level 37 (which is almost exclusive to Flying-types), Scratchet gets Acrobatics. Starting from Submission, Scratchet begins to receive moves earlier. Its final level-up move is Healing Wish at level 50, ten levels earlier than Tomohawk (pretty normal). Lacking from Tomohawk's level-up movepool are the aforementioned Air Slash, Heat Wave, Sky Drop, Rest, and Hurricane. Air Slash, Sky Drop and Hurricane obviously have no business being in the movepool of a Normal / Fighting Pokemon. Heat Wave is dropped for flavor reasons. Rest... just didn't seem to fit in nicely when making other moves be learned earlier.

TMs (open)
    05 Roar
    06 Toxic
    08 Bulk Up
    10 Hidden Power
    11 Sunny Day
    12 Taunt
    17 Protect
    18 Rain Dance
    20 Safeguard
    21 Frustration
    26 Earthquake
    27 Return
    31 Brick Break
    32 Double Team
    33 Reflect
    39 Rock Tomb
    40 Aerial Ace
    42 Facade
    44 Rest
    45 Attract
    46 Thief
    48 Round
    49 Echoed Voice
    52 Focus Blast
    54 False Swipe
    56 Fling
    59 Incinerate
    62 Acrobatics
    67 Retaliate
    78 Bulldoze
    80 Rock Slide
    83 Work Up
    86 Grass Knot
    87 Swagger
    90 Substitute
    94 Rock Smash
    h4 Strength

Tomohawk's TM list, minus Hyper Beam, SolarBeam, Sky Drop, Quash, Giga Impact, Flash, and Fly. These omissions were based on Scratchet's typing, flavor, and status as an NFE.

Egg Moves (open)
    Baton Pass (Eevee, Sentret, Furret, Aipom, Ambipom, Girafarig, Mawile, Buneary, Lopunny, Patrat, Watchog)

Confuse Ray (Vulpix, Ninetales, Lapras, Umbreon, Mantine, Stantler, Spoink, Grumpig, Watchog)

Focus Energy (Rattata, Raticate, Nidoran-M, Nidorino, Nidoking, Mankey, Primeape, Torchic, Combusken, Blaziken, Vigoroth, Numel, Camerupt, Stunky, Skuntank)

Haze (Zubat, Golbat, Crobat, Murkrow, Honchkrow)

Memento (Stunky, Skuntank)

Nature Power (Seedot, Nuzleaf, Deerling, Sawsbuck)

Rapid Spin (Sandshrew, Sandslash, Donphan, Torkoal, Drillbur, Excadrill)

Roost (Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Pidgeot, Spearow, Fearow, Hoothoot, Noctowl, Dunsparce, Wingull, Pelipper, Chatot, Pidove, Tranquill, Unfezant, Ducklett, Swanna)

Stealth Rock (Skarmory)

Yawn (Wooper, Quagsire, Dunsparce, Slakoth, Vigoroth, Slaking, Bidoof, Bibarel, Hippopotas, Hippowdon, Pansear, Munna)

Nothing changed here.

Hopefully my decisions make sense.
  16. capefeather

capefeather YOU CAN'T STOP THE FORDS
    is a Forum Moderatoris a CAP Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I'd like to apologize for not really considering putting in prevo extra moves when at this point it seems really obvious that I should have done so. Hell, I would have kicked myself multiple times if I attempted a movepool submission -.-

Thoughts on movepools!

I thought that I should post my thoughts on some of the submissions, mainly how well they fit into what I had in mind for Tomohawk when I built the movepool (so it's not really a "sound argument" and readers are free to reject it entirely).

I'm going to say straight up that jas61292, HeavyOctillery and Deck Knight have my support, in that order. My basic idea was that the special elemental moves, Healing Wish, etc. are quirks gained from evolving, and all of these fit in with that. The fact that they raided the egg movepool is great to me considering how I came to the egg movepool in the first place; Focus Energy in particular was hard for me to leave out of Tomohawk's level-up, and I think that it's great that people have put it into Scratchet's movepool. jas kind of gets the edge over HO because of the explanation, though this does mean that (if my understanding of level-ups is correct) Morning Sun will be Heart Scaled or gained from wild underleveled Tomohawk... I guess that's my fault. Deck Knight has an interesting explanation for his, which is mostly why he's included.

I'm going to go ahead and say that jas's submission completely discouraged me from submitting my own movepool because he basically came up with what I probably would have.
  17. HeavyOctillery

HeavyOctillery

Changed one of the level-up moves & finalized it; also added a better level-up explanation (including evolution method) as per cape's suggestion.
  18. Tortferngatr

Tortferngatr

So as a recommendation for CAP2 and onwards, people doing the final movepool should try to put ALL the flavor moves they want the prevo to get via levelup in the movepool?

I.e. to prevent more awkward "Scratchet moments."
  19. Tortferngatr

Tortferngatr

FINAL SUBMISSION

Levelup moves (open)

00 Rock Smash
    00 False Swipe
    08 Fury Swipes
    13 Yawn
    17 Aerial Ace
    20 Focus Energy
    23 Brick Break
    29 Facade
    33 Hidden Power
    37 Acrobatics
    42 Submission
    49 Hyper Voice
    51 Superpower
    53 Rest
    55 Giga Impact
    60 Memento

My original plan was to make Scratchet's movepool be a direct parallel to Tomohawk's. After the staff put the kabosh on Slash, Night Slash, Double-Edge, Karate Chop, Rollout, Defense Curl, and Teeter Dance, I got creative.

Rock Smash and False Swipe are pretty much the only things left that fit as basic moves-Rapid Spin is an egg move (so Scratchet would know it at level 1 anyway,) and False Swipe gets STAB. Instead of learning Earth Power, Scratchet learns to control its Hidden Power. Instead of slashing the air, Scratchet uses acrobatic movements to assault its foe. Instead of commanding the winds to finish its foe with a Hurricane, Scratchet musters up all the physical power it has gained into a single Giga Impact. Instead of fainting to help save the tribe in a Healing Wish, Scratchet gives its foe something to remember with a Memento.

Brick Break and Facade are for intermediate STABs.

The idea behind it using Hidden Power for evolution is simple-it's unlocking its "hidden powers" of shamanry so it can evolve. As for its levelup attacks, I intentionally gave it a few of the less flight-oriented flying-type moves.

TM/HM moves (open)

05 Roar
    06 Toxic
    08 Bulk Up
    10 Hidden Power
    11 Sunny Day
    12 Taunt
    17 Protect
    18 Rain Dance
    20 Safeguard
    21 Frustration
    27 Return
    31 Brick Break
    32 Double Team
    33 Reflect
    39 Rock Tomb
    40 Aerial Ace
    42 Facade
    44 Rest
    45 Attract
    46 Thief
    48 Round
    49 Echoed Voice
    52 Focus Blast
    54 False Swipe
    56 Fling
    59 Incinerate
    60 Quash
    62 Acrobatics
    67 Retaliate
    68 Giga Impact
    80 Rock Slide
    83 Work Up
    86 Grass Knot
    87 Swagger
    90 Substitute
    94 Rock Smash
    h4 Strength

Pretty much just removed things that seemed circumspect.

Egg moves (open)

Baton Pass
    Confuse Ray
    Focus Energy
    Haze
    Memento
    Nature Power
    Rapid Spin
    Roost
    Stealth Rock
    Yawn
  20. HeavyOctillery

HeavyOctillery

Yes, that's a very good idea.
  21. Rising_Dusk

Rising_Dusk

Alright, this was open for longer than I wanted, but I was camping so couldn't close it. That said, I will generate my slate and put this to a poll!
    Actually, no, they shouldn't. They should put in whatever flavor and moves make sense for the CAP itself and not worry at all about the pre-evo. While this can place the pre-evo in an awkward position, particularly with Tomohawk's flavor movepool being crazy and unlike anything in the actual Pokemon game already, it is much better to have the pre-evo be in the awkward position than the main CAP when the main CAP needs to fit in competitive moves. I would have been very opposed to Tomohawk getting Scratch if it meant the author wouldn't put Reflect in the movepool as a result, for instance. Always remember that the pre-evo is an afterthought, not something we should prepare for.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)