CAP1 - Part 16 - (Pre-Evo Movepool Submissions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, now onto the last competitive part of PreCAP1, the movepool!

Unlike a normal CAP's movepool, the pre-evolution for a CAP has multiple different restrictions placed on its movepool. Below is a listing of all the different requirements in effect:

• You must use the entire egg movepool of Tomohawk as Scratchet's egg movepool.
    If the parent has egg moves, the pre-evolution needs the same egg moves. No exceptions, no changes. Similarly, the egg groups must be the same.
  • You cannot add new moves to the movepool that do not appear in Tomohawk's movepool.
    If Tomohawk doesn't have a move, that means its pre-evo cannot have that move. Simple as that.
I'm going to provide a little personal insight for pre-evo movepools, since we've never done these in seriousness before now. Keep in mind that a pre-evo's movepool usually indicates some manner of evolution method, and almost always have limited options. Scratchet should not have every move that Tomohawk does! Almost no pre-evolved form has absolutely every move, so cut a few out here and there, and bring it down a couple of notches where applicable. Also keep in mind that almost no Pokemon pre-evolution movepool has vast differences between the evolved and unevolved level-up movepools. There may be slight differences, but nothing terribly drastic unless you can justify it well enough! I know these restrictions limit a lot of creativity, and I don't particularly know how much variation we can even get out of this stage, but we're going to go through with it to find out! Good luck!

The following list of moves must be used as Scratchet's egg movepool:
Code:
Baton Pass
Confuse Ray
Focus Energy
Haze
Memento
Nature Power
Rapid Spin
Roost
Stealth Rock
Yawn
For convenience, below is the movepool for Tomohawk and all of the author's explanations as to why it got what and what was on his mind.
*bursts in with an epic Final Submission*

Legend:
* - Move is repeated in this or a previous list
. - Move is (almost) required by a different move
! - Move is (almost) required by typing or ability
!! - Move is absolutely required by typing or ability
Bold - A VGM that is not repeated in this or a previous list
00 Sunny Day
00 Aura Sphere
00 Fury Swipes
00 Harden
08 Fury Swipes*
13 Harden*
17 Aerial Ace
20 Morning Sun
23 Whirlwind
29 Rain Dance
33 Earth Power
37 Air Slash

42 Submission
45 Heat Wave
49 Hyper Voice

50 Sky Drop
51 Superpower
53 Rest
55 Hurricane
60 Healing Wish

Unique moves: 18
Unique VGMs: 13
I've taken quite a few creative liberties with the level-up movepool. This CAP is really breaking a lot of ground because it's primary Flying and a Fighting-type with a poor Atk stat. I've always wanted to do a "mage" type learnset, and the shamanistic nature of this CAP has given me the perfect excuse to do so (though my original dream was to reference FF1's Chaos :P ). The "elemental" moves here are Rain Dance, Earth Power, Air Slash and Heat Wave, with Hurricane eventually learned near the end as well.

This learnset is full of sneaky references, which is why I've filled it to the maximum reasonable number of moves. I've incorporated a few of the North American aboriginal creation stories involving the raven (the raven is originally white in Haida myths). It references a myth about the raven stealing the sun, moon, stars (Sunny Day), a firebrand (Heat Wave, I guess), and fresh water (Rain Dance) to give to the mortal world. Sky Drop is somewhat a reference to another myth involving the raven dropping a stone into the ocean to form land. There's also a legend about a seagull and the raven sticking a thorn into its foot, but Spikes is disallowed, so... Aerial Ace and Submission are also here to reference the Street Fighter character T. Hawk. (The anime depicts Aerial Ace as a low-altitude gliding attack, and Submission is similar to the grapple that T. Hawk does.)

The progression is simple enough. I believe that Tomohawk should start off with a "base" special move (Aura Sphere) because it's one of only three special Fighting-type moves. The theme here is that it starts off using naive physical attacks like Fury Swipes and then eventually learns to channel the energies of the spirits and use them. Harden is a reference to Cartoons's original concept, with the fur hardening to act like feathers. I also need a move to fit with Tomohawk's name, a reference to a light axe that is thrown. Giga Impact doesn't quite fit, so Superpower has made it in. Finally, I feel that Tomohawk should get some kind of mind-refresh before getting Hurricane, but Amnesia is banned, so Rest is there instead.

Healing Wish is a cool move IMO; it's kind of a reference to FF6's Sabin (not that anyone used Spiraler or whatever it's called now), but more than that, it just fits somehow with the whole shaman / chieftain deal that this CAP is getting.

05 Roar
06 Toxic!!
08 Bulk Up!
10 Hidden Power!!

11 Sunny Day!*
12 Taunt
15 Hyper Beam!
17 Protect!!
18 Rain Dance*
20 Safeguard.
21 Frustration!!
22 SolarBeam.
26 Earthquake.
27 Return!!
31 Brick Break!
32 Double Team!!
33 Reflect
39 Rock Tomb!
40 Aerial Ace!*
42 Facade!!
44 Rest!!*
45 Attract!!
46 Thief
48 Round!!
49 Echoed Voice.
52 Focus Blast!
54 False Swipe
56 Fling!
58 Sky Drop*
59 Incinerate!!
60 Quash
62 Acrobatics
67 Retaliate!
68 Giga Impact!
70 Flash
78 Bulldoze.
80 Rock Slide!
83 Work Up!!
86 Grass Knot.

87 Swagger!!
90 Substitute!!
94 Rock Smash!!
h2 Fly
h4 Strength!!

Unique moves: 38
Unique VGMs: 16
Most of these are type-move and move-move (almost) requirements. I want to avoid putting in too many Psychic-type moves because I don't think that they fit with the concept (though Reflect is there). Thief is another reference to the trickster aspect mentioned earlier, and a stronger reference to the firebrand is made through Incinerate and Flash. However, despite other Fire-type moves usually being required with Heat Wave, I've chosen not to put them in because I'm already breaking the Fire-type monopoly on level-up Heat Wave.

I also don't have Cut because Tomohawk is an "axe", not a sword (Cut is "Iai Cut", a reference to a sword technique) and this movepool has no claw moves other than Fury Swipes.

Baton Pass (Eevee, Sentret, Furret, Aipom, Ambipom, Girafarig, Mawile, Buneary, Lopunny, Patrat, Watchog)

Confuse Ray (Vulpix, Ninetales, Lapras, Umbreon, Mantine, Stantler, Spoink, Grumpig, Watchog)

Focus Energy (Rattata, Raticate, Nidoran-M, Nidorino, Nidoking, Mankey, Primeape, Torchic, Combusken, Blaziken, Vigoroth, Numel, Camerupt, Stunky, Skuntank)

Haze (Zubat, Golbat, Crobat, Murkrow, Honchkrow)

Memento (Stunky, Skuntank)

Nature Power (Seedot, Nuzleaf, Deerling, Sawsbuck)

Rapid Spin (Sandshrew, Sandslash, Donphan, Torkoal, Drillbur, Excadrill)

Roost (Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Pidgeot, Spearow, Fearow, Hoothoot, Noctowl, Dunsparce, Wingull, Pelipper, Chatot, Pidove, Tranquill, Unfezant, Ducklett, Swanna)

Stealth Rock (Skarmory)

Yawn (Wooper, Quagsire, Dunsparce, Slakoth, Vigoroth, Slaking, Bidoof, Bibarel, Hippopotas, Hippowdon, Pansear, Munna)

Unique moves: 10
Unique VGMs: 9
Also known as the level-up rejects, honestly. Most of these are competitive moves that I really wanted on Tomohawk but couldn't fit into level-up or the machines. You may in particular notice my inclusion of Rapid Spin. Sorry, Delibird :( I think that this is a potentially great move for Tomohawk, and I'd personally like to see what Tomohawk can do with it. Will it be devastatingly effective like Excadrill, or will it be kind of lame like Forretress?

I've put Roost into the egg movepool because Tomohawk isn't really a bird (yeah, "Feather Rest", but still). But it still breeds with birds...? -.- Best not to think about it.

Total unique moves: 66
Total VGMs: 38

Some general comments

I'll admit that my movepool is mostly based on flavour, but the competitive theme here is a small but precise non-attacking movepool. I didn't put in every non-attacking move that "seems interesting" because there are way too many of them and a lot of the good ones are level-up/egg only. Let's be honest, here: Do we really need a super-bloated non-attacking movepool?

I've made an explicit effort to limit or outright avoid moves of the following categories:

Psychic-type (e.g. no Psych Up or Gravity)
Poison-type (e.g. no Sludge Wave)
Moves that modify anything other than Atk or Def (e.g. no Hone Claws)
Moves that can disrupt move choice (e.g. no Torment/Disable/Switcheroo)
Physical moves (all of the physical moves in this pool are justified by flavour or move-move guidelines)

I absolutely do not believe that most Psychic- or Poison-type moves make any sense on Tomohawk. In my view, Tomohawk should be using the powers of nature, not supernatural mind tricks or waves of garbage. (I don't quite get other people's justification of Mimic, either. Tomohawk is using a disguise, not copying others' actions.) I also want Tomohawk's Hurricane to get support entirely from rain or another Pokémon's Gravity, and not set it up for itself (other than with Rain Dance). I also find choice-disrupting moves potentially broken with this CAP, so I have excluded them. The movepool still does have some gems like bulky Substitute, Healing Wish, Memento, Roost and Yawn (arguably better than sleep if the opponent stays in).

You may have noticed that Baton Pass is this movepool's only switching move. Screw Volt Switch -.- Only Electric-types and Steel-types learn it. It doesn't make sense! Baton Pass is clearly the most effective switching move to include here, so that's what I have done.

I've also completely ignored move-move guidelines for Stealth Rock and Heat Wave. The main justification for this is that Tomohawk is not a Rock-type (or mainly rock-dwelling creature) or a Fire-type, so I'm violating "canon" a bit anyway by including these moves. I really didn't want to have to put in stuff like Sandstorm (doesn't make much sense to me) or Flame Charge (disallowed).
Here's our pre-evo so far:
Main Design

Supporting Material

Side-on pose showing spots and egg shaped body.

This Tomohawk prevo concept is a little cub with a protective fluffy egg body. The ruffles around its face show the beginnings of the feather-like fur that Tomohawk uses for flight after it evolves. Its wide, flat, oversized arms hint at wings. Tomohawk's purple markings are foreshadowed in the purple spots on cub-hawk's egg body.
Name: Scratchet
Typing: Normal / Fighting
Base Stats: 55 HP / 85 Atk / 80 Def / 20 SpA / 70 SpD / 40 Spe
Abilities: Scrappy / Prankster / Vital Spirit (DW)

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

00 Fury Swipes
09 Harden
13 Focus Energy
18 Rock Smash
23 Roar
27 Work Up
32 Submission
36 Hyper Voice
40 Bulk Up
45 Superpower
49 Taunt
53 Rest
57 Retaliate

So, for the level up pool, I took Tomohawk's and removed all the moves that had to do with mythical powers (such as Aura Sphere and Earth Power) or the ability to fly (such as Hurricane and Air Slash), as these are things that Scratchet lacks. Unfortunately, without these moves the level up pool becomes fairly sparse, so I went through the TMs it can learn and chose ones that seemed appropriate and added them in, such as Bulk Up and Retaliate. I also added in Focus Energy from the Egg Moves, because it really needed some basic moves like that (and yes, there are some cases where Pokemon have a level up move as an egg move as well, so its not completely weird).

As far as evolution, like most Pokemon I imagine Scratchet would evolve by level up, and not have any specific requirements. I was thinking possibly requiring a specific move to evolve, but I noticed that the only instances of that happening are when the Pokemon and its evolution were introduced in different generations, and that is not the case for Scratchet, so I think the basic level up method is more appropriate. However, I think it would be cool if it evolved at level 23, because that way it would learn two nearly equivalent moves, Roar and Whirlwind, at the same level. Roar, representing a normal grounded mammal, comes before it evolves and Whirlwind, representing the new powers of flight it has gained, comes after.

TM05 Roar
TM06 Toxic
TM08 Bulk Up
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM12 Taunt
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM20 Safeguard
TM21 Frustration
TM27 Return
TM31 Brick Break
TM32 Double Team
TM33 Reflect
TM39 Rock Tomb
TM40 Aerial Ace
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM46 Thief
TM48 Round
TM49 Echoed Voice
TM52 Focus Blast
TM54 False Swipe
TM56 Fling
TM60 Quash
TM67 Retaliate
TM70 Flash
TM78 Bulldoze
TM80 Rock Slide
TM83 Work Up
TM86 Grass Knot
TM87 Swagger
TM90 Substitute
TM94 Rock Smash
HM04 Strength

The TM set pretty much followed the same logic as the level up moves, remove the mythical power and flying related moves. Though despite removing it from the level up set, I did leave Aerial Ace in the TM pool. This is mainly because while all sorts of Pokemon can learn this move via TM, only Flying types get it via level up (With the single exception of Heracross, which is kinda weird). Additionally, I removed Hyper Beam and Giga Impact, as with the exception of a few who also get one of them via level up, no unevolved Pokemon can learn these TMs (well, unless they were formerly fully evolved).

Baton Pass
Confuse Ray
Focus Energy
Haze
Memento
Nature Power
Rapid Spin
Roost
Stealth Rock
Yawn

Obviously, the egg moves are all the same as Tomohawks, so not much to say here.

Movepool:
EGG Baton Pass
EGG Confuse Ray
EGG Focus Energy
EGG Haze
EGG Memento
EGG Nature Power
EGG Rapid Spin
EGG Roost
EGG Stealth Rock
EGG Yawn
00 Rock Smash
00 Work Up
05 Fury Swipes
10 Harden
13 Aerial Ace
19 Whirlwind
27 Air Slash
36 Submission
43 Hyper Voice
47 Sky Drop
50 Superpower
52 Rest

TM/HM

05 Roar
06 Toxic
08 Bulk Up
10 Hidden Power
11 Sunny Day
12 Taunt
15 Hyper Beam
17 Protect
18 Rain Dance
20 Safeguard
21 Frustration
26 Earthquake
27 Return
31 Brick Break
32 Double Team
39 Rock Tomb
40 Aerial Ace
42 Facade
44 Rest
45 Attract
46 Thief
48 Round
49 Echoed Voice
54 False Swipe
56 Fling
58 Sky Drop
59 Incinerate
60 Quash
62 Acrobatics
67 Retaliate
68 Giga Impact
78 Bulldoze
80 Rock Slide
83 Work Up
86 Grass Knot
87 Swagger
90 Substitute
94 Rock Smash
h2 Fly
h4 Strength

I just took out all the ones that have to do with "mythical powers" as Scratchet gains these powers when he evolves.

Might I suggest removing sunny day and rain dance from his movepool? They could be attributed to mythical powers (the ability to control the weather), and more importantly, prankster weather moves in LC could be overpowering.

Ugh, not having Scratch, Growl, etc. is going to make this a tad difficult, buuuuuut not impossible: (FINAL SUBMISSION)

01 Fury Swipes
01 Harden
08 Rock Smash
13 Morning Sun
17 Roar
20 Focus Energy
23 Taunt
29 Brick Break
32 Submission
35 Nature Power
41 Hyper Voice
44 Superpower

Yes, this time I added the levels. I've just noticed that the level gaps for Tomo's moves are a tad screwy when compared to those of a GF Poke, which usually have a pattern of some sort (4,5,4,5,4,5, etc.) that only changes after evolution, in which there's just a slightly different pattern. So, Scratchet's level gaps start the same as Tomo's to at least keep in line with that part. Also, doubling up on beginning moves, IIRC, only usually applies to the evo.....which just makes this screwier. I just winged (pardon pun) the rest of it.

The movepool is slightly smaller, as many prevos' are, with a few fitting TM moves rounding it out. Of course, all the Flying moves & shamanistic moves are out, with Roar suitably replacing Whirlwind. Nature Power (originally Hidden Power, but this is more fitting) is there to show a slight hint of its future powers, though. Rock Smash & Brick Break were the only 2 suitable Fighting moves I saw being workable into the movepool, so I added those. Focus Energy & Taunt sounded fitting with its style, so those went in as well. Rest was excluded since it clashes with Vital Spirit (which Tomo loses & replaces with Justified anyway).

I was thinking it would evolve by Item Level Up; maybe the item is passed down to a carefully selected Scratchet by the leading Tomohawk before stepping down, allowing it to become the new leader upon levelling up - with a certain percentage of wild Scratchet & a higher percentage of wild Tomo holding the item.

05 Roar
06 Toxic
08 Bulk Up
10 Hidden Power
11 Sunny Day
12 Taunt
17 Protect
18 Rain Dance
20 Safeguard
21 Frustration
22 SolarBeam
27 Return
31 Brick Break
32 Double Team
33 Reflect
39 Rock Tomb
40 Aerial Ace
42 Facade
44 Rest
45 Attract
46 Thief
48 Round
49 Echoed Voice
52 Focus Blast
54 False Swipe
56 Fling
67 Retaliate
70 Flash
78 Bulldoze
80 Rock Slide
83 Work Up
86 Grass Knot
87 Swagger
90 Substitute
94 Rock Smash
HM04 Strength

Removed all the obvious choices, although I left Aerial Ace in since lots of non-winged mammalian Pokes get it anyway. Left in SolarBeam so it can still have Prankster SunnyBeam - not like it'll do much w/ no STAB and piddly Sp.Atk.

Baton Pass (Eevee, Sentret, Furret, Aipom, Ambipom, Girafarig, Mawile, Buneary, Lopunny, Patrat, Watchog)

Confuse Ray (Vulpix, Ninetales, Lapras, Umbreon, Mantine, Stantler, Spoink, Grumpig, Watchog)

Focus Energy (Rattata, Raticate, Nidoran-M, Nidorino, Nidoking, Mankey, Primeape, Torchic, Combusken, Blaziken, Vigoroth, Numel, Camerupt, Stunky, Skuntank)

Roost (Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Pidgeot, Spearow, Fearow, Hoothoot, Noctowl, Dunsparce, Wingull, Pelipper, Chatot, Pidove, Tranquill, Unfezant, Ducklett, Swanna)

Stealth Rock (Skarmory)

Yawn (Wooper, Quagsire, Dunsparce, Slakoth, Vigoroth, Slaking, Bidoof, Bibarel, Hippopotas, Hippowdon, Pansear, Munna)

Dunno why I'm even bothering when it's the same........

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Might I suggest removing sunny day and rain dance from his movepool? They could be attributed to mythical powers (the ability to control the weather), and more importantly, prankster weather moves in LC could be overpowering.
I removed them from the level up set for flavor reasons, but you can't really convince me that it shouldn't get the TMs. It is a basic first stage fighting type, and when Mankey, Machop, Tyrogue, Makuhita, Meditite, Riolu, Croagunk, Timburr, Scraggy, and Mienfoo all get it, it would be stranger for it not to have them the if it did.

jas61292: Actually, NFE mons that for whatever reason get either Giga Impact or Hyper Beam by level-up do get it by TM. See also: Axew [gets Giga Impact by level and TM] and Klink [gets Hyper Beam by levelup and TM].

NijaSkills: A lot of mons get those two moves by TM-sure, the mons that get them via level usually have a good reason, but when freaking Machop learns TM sunny day, you know there isn't a problem. Not only that, but LC has access to Snover, Vulpix, and Hippopotas. Priority Rain Dance probably wouldn't be broken in LC-in fact, it might be helpful in shutting down Sun sweepers (though I don't really have access to PL right now and don't really play LC, so don't quote me on this.)

Also, I would like to propose that moves that would be truly uncompetitive/already have a superior equivalent for the evolved form(s) of the CAP be allowed for addition to prevo movepools. Just a thought-I was disappointed when there wasn't Hone Claws (sorry capefeather), Defense Curl, Night Slash, Tail Whip, Growl (although that might actually be useful lol), Slash, Karate Chop, Teeter Dance, or heck even Scratch in this thing's movepool. Besides, if we coded in Scratchet, it wouldn't be too hard to add a few moves to Tomo's movepool (like Teeter Dance, which is a total clone of Confuse Ray and makes flavor sense on something so small and clumsy-looking) in the mean time.

Finally, here:

00 Rock Smash
08 Fury Swipes
13 Yawn
17 Aerial Ace
20 Morning Sun
23 Roar
29 Facade
33 Hidden Power
37 Acrobatics
42 Submission
49 Hyper Voice

51 Superpower
53 Rest
55 Giga Impact
60 Memento

05 Roar
06 Toxic!!
08 Bulk Up!
10 Hidden Power!!

11 Sunny Day!*
12 Taunt
15 Hyper Beam!
17 Protect!!
18 Rain Dance*
20 Safeguard.
21 Frustration!!
22 SolarBeam.
27 Return!!
31 Brick Break!
32 Double Team!!
33 Reflect
39 Rock Tomb!
40 Aerial Ace!*
42 Facade!!
44 Rest!!*
45 Attract!!
46 Thief
48 Round!!
49 Echoed Voice.
52 Focus Blast!
54 False Swipe
56 Fling!
59 Incinerate
60 Quash
62 Acrobatics
67 Retaliate!
68 Giga Impact
70 Flash
80 Rock Slide!
83 Work Up!!
86 Grass Knot.

87 Swagger!!
90 Substitute!!
94 Rock Smash!!
h2 Fly
h4 Strength!!

Baton Pass
Confuse Ray
Focus Energy
Haze
Memento
Nature Power
Rapid Spin
Roost
Stealth Rock
Yawn

jas61292

used substitute
jas61292: Actually, NFE mons that for whatever reason get either Giga Impact or Hyper Beam by level-up do get it by TM. See also: Axew [gets Giga Impact by level and TM] and Klink [gets Hyper Beam by levelup and TM].
I know that. What I was trying to say was that the only Pokemon that can learn those moves but are not fully evolved either were fully evolved at one point or learn one of them via level up as well. This was to say that since Scratchet doesn't get them via level up in my moveset, it should not get them via TM.

Though, fun fact, there is one exception to that rule. Nuzleaf can learn the Hyper Beam and Giga Impact TMs, but is not fully evolved, never was fully evolved, and doesn't learn them by level up.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'll try my hand at this.

Final Submission:

- Fury Swipes
- Harden
5 Rock Smash
11 Yawn
13 Confuse Ray
17 Aerial Ace
20 Nature Power
23 Roar
25 Focus Energy
29 Submission
35 Hyper Voice
37 Air Slash
41 Superpower
47 Healing Wish

The story here is that Scratchet is a devious little scamp, and I pulled most of its "new" level-up moves from Egg. The exception is Rock Smash, the only real "weak" Fighting-type attack in its movepool. The evolution method is Leveling up with Air Slash, which both learn at Level 37.

Like most Pokemon that grow wings when they evolve, Scratchet has a lot fewer moves than Tomohawk. I based its level progession off of Venonat's, since Venomoth has similar expansion. The two share several things in common: Aerial Ace at 17, and instead of Whirlwind, Scratchet has Roar at Level 23. It's final 4 attacks are Submission, Hyper Voice, Superpower, and Healing Wish. Not an exact match with Tomohawk, but good enough.

Flavorwise, I thought of Scratchet as having a decent level of natural intuition but not a lot of the mystic powers. This is why he was Nature Power over Morning Sun at Level 20. It doesn't learn the weather moves naturally, but it does pick up Focus Energy for evolving. Basically Scratchet is comfortable in its body and natural surroundings, but doesn't have a whole lot of mystical ability yet.

Baton Pass
Confuse Ray
Focus Energy
Haze
Memento
Nature Power
Rapid Spin
Roost
Stealth Rock
Yawn

The Egg Moves are the same, as required.

05 Roar
06 Toxic
08 Bulk Up
10 Hidden Power
11 Sunny Day
12 Taunt
17 Protect
18 Rain Dance
20 Safeguard
21 Frustration
26 Earthquake
27 Return
31 Brick Break
32 Double Team
39 Rock Tomb
40 Aerial Ace
42 Facade
44 Rest
45 Attract
46 Thief
48 Round
49 Echoed Voice
52 Focus Blast
54 False Swipe
56 Fling
59 Incinerate
60 Quash
67 Retaliate
78 Bulldoze
80 Rock Slide
83 Work Up
86 Grass Knot
87 Swagger
90 Substitute
94 Rock Smash
h4 Strength

Like most tykes, Scratchet has a more abbreviated TM/HM list. Because it is primarily a physical attacker with an Attack on par with Machop, it has a lot of strong physical attacks.

The following TMs were scrapped: Hyper Beam, Solarbeam, Reflect, Sky Drop, Giga Impact, Flash. Scratchet doesn't really have the mystical power of Tomohawk yet, or the wings, so it lost some special attacks and a few support moves. Most of the rest of Tomohawk's lost movepool is in the Flying-type associated moves.

Also, I would like to propose that moves that would be truly uncompetitive/already have a superior equivalent for the evolved form(s) of the CAP be allowed for addition to prevo movepools. Just a thought-I was disappointed when there wasn't Hone Claws (sorry capefeather), Defense Curl, Night Slash, Tail Whip, Growl (although that might actually be useful lol), Slash, Karate Chop, Teeter Dance, or heck even Scratch in this thing's movepool. Besides, if we coded in Scratchet, it wouldn't be too hard to add a few moves to Tomo's movepool (like Teeter Dance, which is a total clone of Confuse Ray and makes flavor sense on something so small and clumsy-looking) in the mean time.
While I agree with this, that would go against Tomo's own movepool, thus still creating an issue since we're already in the middle of testing.

jas61292

used substitute
While I agree with this, that would go against Tomo's own movepool, thus still creating an issue since we're already in the middle of testing.
My thoughts exactly. As nice as more moves would be, it would change Tomo's movepool, which we really do not want to do.

Though I would support an exception for Scratch, for obvious reasons.

Yes, as much as I'd love to just say "Yeah, SCRATCHet should get SCRATCH", the pre-evo is absolutely driven by the CAP itself. We cannot as part of the process allow any new moves into the movepool that would consequently change the voted-in movepool for Tomohawk. That movepool was voted in, and to be honest, Tomohawk is the main result of CAP1, not Scratchet. Scratchet is a for-fun side project for completeness of the Pokemon, and so it gets dragged around by Tomo, not the other way around.

jas61292

used substitute
Yes, as much as I'd love to just say "Yeah, SCRATCHet should get SCRATCH", the pre-evo is absolutely driven by the CAP itself. We cannot as part of the process allow any new moves into the movepool that would consequently change the voted-in movepool for Tomohawk.
I know, I know. I honestly wasn't expecting it to be allowed. It just seems kinda odd without it.

Just a heads up, but I am going to close this thread in about 12 hours from now, so if you have any changes to make to your submissions, hop to it! Also, don't forget to label your submissions as Final Submission if you want it to count for the poll!

Hey, it's a Final Submission.

It took a long time to think this through, since working backwards isn't exactly ideal. After all, Tomohawk's movepool wasn't really designed with either Scratchet's typing change or Attack/Special Attack flip in mind. Ah, well.

00 Sunny Day
00 Fury Swipes
00 Harden
00 Roar
08 Fury Swipes
13 Harden
17 Aerial Ace
20 Morning Sun
23 Whirlwind
29 Rain Dance
33 Earth Power
37 Acrobatics
40 Submission
43 Hyper Voice
47 Superpower
50 Healing Wish

First of all, I took Aura Sphere out of the starting moves and replaced it with Roar. Not only is it pretty standard for an evolution to have different starting moves than its prevo, but Aura Sphere doesn't really do much for Scratchet, with 20 base Special Attack. I decided to have Scratchet evolve when knowing Earth Power. Therefore, Scratchet's level-up moves mirror Tomohawk's until it learns Earth Power at level 33. From there, they begin to diverge. Instead of learning Air Slash at level 37 (which is almost exclusive to Flying-types), Scratchet gets Acrobatics. Starting from Submission, Scratchet begins to receive moves earlier. Its final level-up move is Healing Wish at level 50, ten levels earlier than Tomohawk (pretty normal). Lacking from Tomohawk's level-up movepool are the aforementioned Air Slash, Heat Wave, Sky Drop, Rest, and Hurricane. Air Slash, Sky Drop and Hurricane obviously have no business being in the movepool of a Normal / Fighting Pokemon. Heat Wave is dropped for flavor reasons. Rest... just didn't seem to fit in nicely when making other moves be learned earlier.

05 Roar
06 Toxic
08 Bulk Up
10 Hidden Power
11 Sunny Day
12 Taunt
17 Protect
18 Rain Dance
20 Safeguard
21 Frustration
26 Earthquake
27 Return
31 Brick Break
32 Double Team
33 Reflect
39 Rock Tomb
40 Aerial Ace
42 Facade
44 Rest
45 Attract
46 Thief
48 Round
49 Echoed Voice
52 Focus Blast
54 False Swipe
56 Fling
59 Incinerate
62 Acrobatics
67 Retaliate
78 Bulldoze
80 Rock Slide
83 Work Up
86 Grass Knot
87 Swagger
90 Substitute
94 Rock Smash
h4 Strength

Tomohawk's TM list, minus Hyper Beam, SolarBeam, Sky Drop, Quash, Giga Impact, Flash, and Fly. These omissions were based on Scratchet's typing, flavor, and status as an NFE.

Stealth Rock (Skarmory)

Nothing changed here.

Hopefully my decisions make sense.

I'd like to apologize for not really considering putting in prevo extra moves when at this point it seems really obvious that I should have done so. Hell, I would have kicked myself multiple times if I attempted a movepool submission -.-

Thoughts on movepools!

I thought that I should post my thoughts on some of the submissions, mainly how well they fit into what I had in mind for Tomohawk when I built the movepool (so it's not really a "sound argument" and readers are free to reject it entirely).

I'm going to say straight up that jas61292, HeavyOctillery and Deck Knight have my support, in that order. My basic idea was that the special elemental moves, Healing Wish, etc. are quirks gained from evolving, and all of these fit in with that. The fact that they raided the egg movepool is great to me considering how I came to the egg movepool in the first place; Focus Energy in particular was hard for me to leave out of Tomohawk's level-up, and I think that it's great that people have put it into Scratchet's movepool. jas kind of gets the edge over HO because of the explanation, though this does mean that (if my understanding of level-ups is correct) Morning Sun will be Heart Scaled or gained from wild underleveled Tomohawk... I guess that's my fault. Deck Knight has an interesting explanation for his, which is mostly why he's included.

I'm going to go ahead and say that jas's submission completely discouraged me from submitting my own movepool because he basically came up with what I probably would have.

Changed one of the level-up moves & finalized it; also added a better level-up explanation (including evolution method) as per cape's suggestion.

Yes, as much as I'd love to just say "Yeah, SCRATCHet should get SCRATCH", the pre-evo is absolutely driven by the CAP itself. We cannot as part of the process allow any new moves into the movepool that would consequently change the voted-in movepool for Tomohawk. That movepool was voted in, and to be honest, Tomohawk is the main result of CAP1, not Scratchet. Scratchet is a for-fun side project for completeness of the Pokemon, and so it gets dragged around by Tomo, not the other way around.
So as a recommendation for CAP2 and onwards, people doing the final movepool should try to put ALL the flavor moves they want the prevo to get via levelup in the movepool?

I.e. to prevent more awkward "Scratchet moments."

FINAL SUBMISSION

00 Rock Smash
00 False Swipe
08 Fury Swipes
13 Yawn
17 Aerial Ace
20 Focus Energy
23 Brick Break
29 Facade
33 Hidden Power
37 Acrobatics
42 Submission
49 Hyper Voice
51 Superpower
53 Rest
55 Giga Impact
60 Memento

My original plan was to make Scratchet's movepool be a direct parallel to Tomohawk's. After the staff put the kabosh on Slash, Night Slash, Double-Edge, Karate Chop, Rollout, Defense Curl, and Teeter Dance, I got creative.

Rock Smash and False Swipe are pretty much the only things left that fit as basic moves-Rapid Spin is an egg move (so Scratchet would know it at level 1 anyway,) and False Swipe gets STAB. Instead of learning Earth Power, Scratchet learns to control its Hidden Power. Instead of slashing the air, Scratchet uses acrobatic movements to assault its foe. Instead of commanding the winds to finish its foe with a Hurricane, Scratchet musters up all the physical power it has gained into a single Giga Impact. Instead of fainting to help save the tribe in a Healing Wish, Scratchet gives its foe something to remember with a Memento.

Brick Break and Facade are for intermediate STABs.

The idea behind it using Hidden Power for evolution is simple-it's unlocking its "hidden powers" of shamanry so it can evolve. As for its levelup attacks, I intentionally gave it a few of the less flight-oriented flying-type moves.

05 Roar
06 Toxic
08 Bulk Up
10 Hidden Power
11 Sunny Day
12 Taunt
17 Protect
18 Rain Dance
20 Safeguard
21 Frustration
27 Return
31 Brick Break
32 Double Team
33 Reflect
39 Rock Tomb
40 Aerial Ace
42 Facade
44 Rest
45 Attract
46 Thief
48 Round
49 Echoed Voice
52 Focus Blast
54 False Swipe
56 Fling
59 Incinerate
60 Quash
62 Acrobatics
67 Retaliate
68 Giga Impact
80 Rock Slide
83 Work Up
86 Grass Knot
87 Swagger
90 Substitute
94 Rock Smash
h4 Strength

Pretty much just removed things that seemed circumspect.

Baton Pass
Confuse Ray
Focus Energy
Haze
Memento
Nature Power
Rapid Spin
Roost
Stealth Rock
Yawn

Alright, this was open for longer than I wanted, but I was camping so couldn't close it. That said, I will generate my slate and put this to a poll!
Tortferngatr said:
So as a recommendation for CAP2 and onwards, people doing the final movepool should try to put ALL the flavor moves they want the prevo to get via levelup in the movepool?
Actually, no, they shouldn't. They should put in whatever flavor and moves make sense for the CAP itself and not worry at all about the pre-evo. While this can place the pre-evo in an awkward position, particularly with Tomohawk's flavor movepool being crazy and unlike anything in the actual Pokemon game already, it is much better to have the pre-evo be in the awkward position than the main CAP when the main CAP needs to fit in competitive moves. I would have been very opposed to Tomohawk getting Scratch if it meant the author wouldn't put Reflect in the movepool as a result, for instance. Always remember that the pre-evo is an afterthought, not something we should prepare for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)