CAP 12 CAP1 - Part 9 - (Sprite Submissions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This thread is for submitting sprites for CAP1, to be used on our server on Pokemon Online. The sprites should be based on the official artwork.

Typing:
Flying/Fighting

Base Stats: 105 HP/60 Atk/90 Def/115 SpA/80 SpD/85 Spe

Abilities: Intimidate/Prankster

Rules

• 1) Sprites should be inspired by the winning design from the Art Poll. It does not need to be an exact rendition of every detail of the design; "artistic license" is granted to all spriters. However, drastic deviation from the selected art design is discouraged.

• 2) All sprites (front and back) can have a maximum size of 96x96 .

• 3) All sprites (front and back) must have a complete, unbroken, distinguishable outline. It does not need to be a black outline, but it must be clearly distinguishable from the adjacent interior colors of the sprite.

• 4) No action effects, move effects, environment effects or additional objects can be rendered on or around the pokemon.

• 5) Sprites must be in PNG format.

• 6) Use 8-bit truecolor (aka 8-bit RGB) or less. This does NOT mean 256 color mode.

• 7) Use transparent backgrounds.

• 8) Fusions of other sprites are not allowed. All sprites must be scratch sprites.

• 9) Do not alter, fuse, recolor or otherwise modify another spriter's submission – unless the original artist explicitly gives permission.

• 10) All sprites (front and back) must use roughly the same size and pose when compared to each other.
I expect anybody who wants to submit sprites to heed these rules very closely. Submissions that don't follow these guidelines will be disqualified, and the posts deleted. What goes to the actual sprite poll is decided by my personal preference and feedback within the thread, and that decision is final. By submitting something here, you are stating that you are willing to conform to these guidelines and standards, and that you won't complain about them in this thread or elsewhere.

Additional Information

There are 8 possible sprites:

• Front Normal Male
  • Front Normal Female
  • Front Shiny Male
  • Front Shiny Female
  • Back Normal Male
  • Back Normal Female
  • Back Shiny Male
  • Back Shiny Female
In most cases, spriters submit a Front Normal sprite first. Once feedback comes in and the poll nears, they make the other sprites. Animations are not required and will not be used as part of the final product; however, it does add to the "appeal" aspect of your submission. You do not have to make different Male and Female sprites, but it helps. Since there are only minute differences between most in-game male and female sprites, it’s not very hard to tweak the sprite for a different gender. Some spriters have made noticeable changes between genders, and that’s fine too. Shinies are just recolors, so that’s not too tough. There’s lots of people that can’t scratch, that are willing to recolor your shiny, if you really don’t want to do it yourself. Just ask in the submission thread and you’ll get plenty of offers to help. Please look at your transparent sprites against different colored backgrounds, not just white.

Have fun, and do your best, artists!

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
All sprites (front and back) can have a maximum size of 80x80
But it's 5th gen. Sprites are bigger, at 96 x 96 maximum. That's why old CAP sprites are getting revamped.

Anyways, here's something I worked on during the last 30 minutes:

I'll continue it when I have more time.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The open-mouth assault pose is very intimidating, but personally, I prefer the silent glare of his original artwork. The original pose is just too perfect to mess with. Feel free to prove me wrong, though.

Quick draft of a neutral pose. In general I've noted that gen 5 prefers less action based poses, no doubt for animation purposes so I'm trying to go down that route more. A huge contrast to the gen 1 days. Also very few sprites take up the full 96x96 space, I'm actually pretty unhappy by how big this is currently. I'll have less time to work on these sprites since I've got to make sure the revamps are done in a timely manner but I'll take as much critique as you can give.

I've had one person mention that I should move the headdress aside to show both eyes but when I attempted it I did not like the result. Anybody else think this should be done?

Edit: yep, just noticed I forgot the bird tail, awhoops.

aragornbird: completely ruins cute aspect which was why this design was picked (that, and the vibrant colors)

wyverii: not as cute, but cuter than aragornbird's, loose the looming ROAR-ness of it, by scaring away enemies, I don't think it's trying to look bigger

aragornbird: completely ruins cute aspect which was why this design was picked (that, and the vibrant colors)

wyverii: not as cute, but cuter than aragornbird's, loose the looming ROAR-ness of it, by scaring away enemies, I don't think it's trying to look bigger
Wait, what? Don't try to speak for everyone and why they voted for it. I voted for the design because to me, it looked tough and intimidating, which are both for the most part retained in aragornbird's design. However, as SJCrew said, in losing the silent glare of the original post, it doesn't seem quite as much of either.

Wait, what? Don't try to speak for everyone and why they voted for it. I voted for the design because to me, it looked tough and intimidating, which are both for the most part retained in aragornbird's design. However, as SJCrew said, in losing the silent glare of the original post, it doesn't seem quite as much of either.
UGH

why do I always say things that I later realize is stupidly inappropriate?

ok, but I think the cute aspect of it should be at least partially maintained either way

~just an opinion, pay me no hazard~

I strongly prefer a more fierce and stern looking sprite than one that seems to be doing intense acrobatic maneuvers or too much action. Wyverii's right, most BW sprites are forgoing action poses for more direct and neutral stances. I think a neutral flight pose with a very serious look playing across it's features would be the way to go.

Wyv, if you want to stick with it, I think my issue with yours is the body positioning. His head seems to be tilted back a bit, his chest puffed out forward, and his legs back with the head. It seems to be a very uncomfortable and awkward pose. He also doesn't look like he's flying (the action, not the type), which a majority of (cool) Flying-type Pokemon sprites in the game go for; I mean, I can think of those that don't, but I think for a primary Flying we should really emphasize the flight in the sprite.

AB, I think yours is a good start, but I think the pose should be a bit subdued and less intensely performing an attack action. I'm also not keen on how you used nearly the whole 96x96 canvas for CAP1. Doing that makes CAP1 look gigantic, on the order of Zekrom and Reshiram, two of the only Pokemon that use the whole canvas on in-game sprites. I think you should shrink it down a bit and rework the pose to look like a more neutral flight and it'd be great.

aragornbird's is probably my favorite. Even though 5th gen sprites are a bit more neutral posed, I still think it should be somewhat dynamic. The other sprites' poses are too plain.

DV317: It looks good, but I think it's a bit squashed. Even though not the whole box will be used, it only fills half the space vertically, and nearly all horizontally.
Wyverii: The proportions look a little off, or it might just be the pose, but I think the head crest is a little small. I don't know, I just get this feeling it's not quite right. It probably is though, so you can ignore me as a noob spriter
Aragornbird: Basically what everyone else has said. It's a bit too intimidating and fierce. While it is fierce, it's more in a silent glare sort of way
Anyway, just my two cents, take from it what you want.

Hola.

_Original Front_Original Back__New Front____New Back___

'Fairly' rough... colours, etc, not finalised, but likely because I'm lazy. Thoughts? I think it's SO UNBEARABLY cluttered and can't fix this ;-;

The backsprite was what I did first, inspired (heavily!) off of the given back and the front sprite was an adapted final submission piece to attempt to give it a standing up position - to match the back sprite. I don't think it's awfully bad, but it's quite busy, with all those feathers, and the tail randomly plonked in..

I'm also extraordinarily blah about his chest feathers. Oh dear. And his left leg (our right) looks so disjointed and not right. LET'S HAVE A GO LATER THEN.

Although having said that, looking at the rest, maybe I'll give up now..

EDIT: Thanks guys .. I think I'll have a go at altering his backsprite a bit to try and match up. I did try to make the bottom line of feathers flat/bend on the front sprite, apparently I've failed the illusion massively.

Chubbs - Did I pixel over? Yes and no. Mostly yes, but kind of no. Like I said above, I altered them (and plan on altering parts further) to suit what I'm after. However, I pixel over'd my Voodoom front sprite last CAP and they didn't tell me to change. I'm hoping for the same this time...

I do hope that wont detract people from my sprite, though >_>

EDIT AGAIN: New backsprite! I raised his head a lot and I now realise how hunched it was originally. I also shorted some of his feathers to see if I can fool you into thinking I've done a good job with the perspective ._.

EDIT AGAIN AGAIN: New front sprite! Well, 'new'. I've just altered a few bits.

Korski

Distilled, 80 proof
is a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Sleet, those sprites are incredible. Don't give up! The only criticism I have is that the back sprite looks more hunched over than the front. If you stood it up a little and extended the wings out to match the front pose instead of just copying the pose from Cartoons!'s post, it would be a top-tier submission, imo.

Sleet, those sprites are incredible. Don't give up! The only criticism I have is that the back sprite looks more hunched over than the front. If you stood it up a little and extended the wings out to match the front pose instead of just copying the pose from Cartoons!'s post, it would be a top-tier submission, imo.
Agreed. Easily my favorite out of the submissions so far.

Sleet to be honest, i think you got the best front sprite so far.

Back sprite look more hunched over and wings touching the ground unlike the front sptite. Just take Korskis sugestions and it will be one sweet submission :)

it just me, or is sleet's design a more shaded version of darthvader's design?

Anyway, loving Sleet's sprites, they are great.

Sleet, I really love how your sprites make it resemble a shaman, which is about the only way that a special attacking bias can be conveyed with Cartoons!'s design.

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Changed a lot of things (actually I just redid everything except for the tail). I might shrink it down a bit. No shading or claws yet. I need to prepare for a job interview tomorrow.

suntt, I think the front and back sprites need to be in the same pose. For this, I'd suggest changing the front sprite so that, among other things, it actually looks in the direction of its opponent.

That's pretty good suntt123! The front sprite though, there's some funny stuff going on with the left foot and tail. They blend into each other, and it's confusing. Making the colour a lighter shade would make it a lot clearer too. I'm a fan of the poses though :D

E: ohh, and that it does have to be facing the opponent. To be honest, I don't see a problem with the front and back sprites looking that different. Maybe just the angle of the wings, but that's more of a nit-pick.

I tried to make it look like the main design pose but standing instead of
leaping back.
Those green claws are almost creepy...

I think it should be a little taller and face a little more to the left.
That crest looks too short, or the face too tall, or something.
Sleet said:
Those "feathers" at the top look a bit like blades or something other than feathers. Also, the back looks a lot more puffed up than the front. Either de-puff it or I recommend drawing some of the back going up above the wings.
aragornbird said:
I guess just a few more wing feathers, and it looks like it's in an awkward position with its head tilted to the left.

Sunnt123 said:
How's this?:

too dark? If no one can find anything wrong then this'll be my entry
It does look too dark. The next thing that jumped out was the purple spot on the back wing being a rectangle. Also, in the back sprite it looks like it has horns. Not showing the face in the back sprite is weird. Lift the head up, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)