CAPTT Announcement and Hype Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

CAP Team Tournament Announcement and Tier Discussion

Hullo, and welcome to the planning for the first CAPTT; the CAP Team Tournament. The premise is very similar to other team tours/premier leagues in that our team CAPtains will bid on a list of people that sign up (sign ups will go up at a later date) in order to try to assemble a skilled team. Each team should aim to have wide array of talent at playing various CAP metagames, with the emphasis being on the current CAP scene in ORAS. However, there are other CAP formats that have been coded and that will be featured in CAPTT.

If you head over to http://eos.psim.us/cbrevan, you will find that, in addition to the main CAP metagame, there are also challenge formats for BW CAP, DPP CAP, CAP Doubles, and even Monotype CAP. At this time, we are unsure which formats will be used in the CAPTT lineup, so we'd like YOU to go and test them out and reply with your favorites. In all likelyhood, BW CAP is going to automatically make the cut, but the other formats are largely untested and we'd like your opinions before deciding on the format lineup.

Because this is the first time the CAP Metagame is attempting a team tour like this, we have decided that each week the teams will face off in 5 head to head matches, not 7 like in other team tours and premier leagues. This will allow for the teams to be smaller to better match our current player base. As of now, the 5 weekly matches will include 2 ORAS CAP battles, 1 BW CAP battle, and the formats of the remaining two CAP battles will be decided through the discussion in this thread.

Now, time to introduce the team CAPtains and their team names! So far, we have:

sparktrain, leader of the Naughty Necturnas!

cbrevan, leader of the Choiced Banded Revenankhs!

Animus Majulous, leader of the Vicious Volkrakens!

Tadasuke, leader of the Colossal Colossoils!

trash, leader of the Fidgety Fidgits!

Depending on the level of interest, more CAPtains may be added at a later date. Do NOT reply saying you'd like to be a back-up CAPtain, since these have more or less already been decided.

So, if you're interested in the CAPTT, here's what we want you to do:

-Join us at http://psim.us/cap to talk about all the formats and play ORAS CAP, or hop onto http://eos.psim.us/cbrevan and test out the other various CAP formats!
-Reply explaining your favorite formats
-Reply if you think you're interested in signing up to be a player for the CAPTT
-Post some dank memes if you're brave enough -- these will be moderated however
-Do NOT treat this thread as a sign up thread -- this upcoming Sunday will be the start of a separate sign up thread. This thread instead focuses on discussion for formats and for general CAPTT hype.
-Do NOT talk about intricate metagame discussion here for the new formats. That will be reserved for this thread. Tier discussion here is reserved towards viability of each format within the tour tournament structure.

Below are the banlists and rules for each format.

Play Restrictions
  • All standard OU tier clauses apply, including all Smogon-wide Clauses.
  • Necturna is restricted to one move learned by Sketch, even though it can theoretically learn the move more than once due to 6th generation mechanics
Pokemon Restrictions
In addition to the Pokémon allowed in the standard OU tier, players are allowed to use Pokémon created by the Create-A-Pokémon Project:
  • Syclant
  • Revenankh
  • Pyroak
  • Fidgit
  • Stratagem
  • Arghonaut
  • Kitsunoh
  • Cyclohm
  • Colossoil
  • Krilowatt
  • Voodoom
  • Tomohawk
  • Necturna
  • Mollux
  • Aurumoth
  • Malaconda
  • Cawmodore
  • Volkraken
  • Plasmanta
  • Naviathan

Play Restrictions
Players cannot use Pokémon from the Uber tier.

Players must abide by the following clauses:
  • Smogon-wide Clauses.
Players cannot use the following items:
  • Soul Dew
Pokemon Restrictions
In addition to the Pokémon allowed in the standard OU tier, players are allowed to use Pokémon created by the Create-A-Pokémon Project:
  • Syclant
  • Revenankh
  • Pyroak
  • Fidgit
  • Stratagem
  • Arghonaut
  • Kitsunoh
  • Cyclohm
  • Colossoil
  • Krilowatt
  • Voodoom
  • Tomohawk
  • Necturna
  • Mollux
  • Aurumoth
  • Malaconda
Excadrill will remained banned and weather boosting abilities (Swift Swim without Drizzle, Sand Rush, Chlorophyll) will remain unbanned (Swift Swim + Drizzle is banned, Drought + Chlorophyll is NOT banned). Cawmodore is NOT allowed because he was finished after 6th Gen started.

Play Restrictions
Players cannot use Pokémon from the Uber tier.

Players must abide by the following clauses:
  • Smogon-wide Clauses.
  • Soul Dew
Pokemon Restrictions
  • Syclant
  • Revenankh
  • Pyroak
  • Fidgit
  • Stratagem
  • Arghonaut
  • Kitsunoh
  • Cyclohm
  • Colossoil
  • Krilowatt
  • Voodoom

Play Restrictions
  • All standard OU tier clauses apply, plus:
  • Same Type Clause: Pokémon in a team must share a type.
  • Necturna is restricted to one move learned by Sketch, even though it can theoretically learn the move more than once due to 6th generation mechanics
Pokémon Restrictions
Players cannot use the following Pokemon:
  • Arceus
  • Blaziken
  • Darkrai
  • Deoxys
  • Deoxys-Attack
  • Dialga
  • Genesect
  • Giratina
  • Giratina-O
  • Greninja
  • Groudon
  • Ho-Oh
  • Kyogre
  • Kyurem-White
  • Lugia
  • Mewtwo
  • Palkia
  • Rayquaza
  • Reshiram
  • Shaymin-Sky
  • Talonflame
  • Xerneas
  • Yveltal
  • Zekrom
In addition to the Pokémon allowed in the standard Monotype tier, players are allowed to use Pokémon created by the Create-A-Pokémon Project:
  • Syclant
  • Revenankh
  • Pyroak
  • Fidgit
  • Stratagem
  • Arghonaut
  • Kitsunoh
  • Cyclohm
  • Colossoil
  • Krilowatt
  • Voodoom
  • Tomohawk
  • Necturna
  • Mollux
  • Aurumoth
  • Malaconda
  • Cawmodore
  • Volkraken
  • Plasmanta
  • Naviathan
Type-Only Bans Players cannot use the following Pokémon on the indicated type:
  • Aegislash (Steel)
Notable Pokémon that may be used on the indicated type(s):
  • Aegislash (Ghost)
  • Deoxys-Speed (Psychic)
  • Deoxys-Defense (Psychic)
  • Landorus (Flying & Ground)
Item Restrictions
  • Altarianite
  • Charizardite X
  • Damp Rock
  • Gengarite
  • Kangaskhanite
  • Lucarionite
  • Mawilite
  • Metagrossite
  • Salamencite
  • Slowbronite
  • Soul Dew
  • Smooth Rock
Yup.​

Play Restrictions
Endless Battle Clause: Players cannot use any moveset on any Pokémon capable of intentionally causing an endless battle. Thus:
A Pokémon may not carry Recycle and hold a Leppa Berry in conjunction with Heal Pulse and Milk Drink, Moonlight, Morning Sun, Recover, Roost, Slack Off, Soft-Boiled, or Wish.
A Pokémon may not hold a Leppa Berry while carrying Recycle and Pain Split.
A Pokémon may not hold a Leppa Berry while carrying Recycle and Fling.
Evasion Clause: Players cannot use the moves Double Team or Minimize.
Moody Clause: Players cannot use a Pokémon with the Moody ability.
OHKO Clause: Players cannot use the moves Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill, or Sheer Cold.
Species Clause: Players cannot have two Pokémon with the same Pokédex number on the same team.
Necturna is restricted to one move learned by Sketch, even though it can theoretically learn the move more than once due to 6th generation mechanics​

Pokémon Restrictions

Players cannot use the following Pokémon:
  • Mewtwo
  • Lugia
  • Ho-oh
  • Kyogre
  • Groudon
  • Rayquaza
  • Dialga
  • Palkia
  • Giratina
  • Giratina-Origin
  • Shaymin-Sky
  • Arceus
  • Reshiram
  • Zekrom
  • Kyurem-White
  • Xerneas
  • Yveltal
In addition to the Pokémon allowed in the standard Doubles tier, players are allowed to use Pokémon created by the Create-A-Pokémon Project:
  • Syclant
  • Revenankh
  • Pyroak
  • Fidgit
  • Stratagem
  • Arghonaut
  • Kitsunoh
  • Cyclohm
  • Colossoil
  • Krilowatt
  • Voodoom
  • Tomohawk
  • Necturna
  • Mollux
  • Aurumoth
  • Malaconda
  • Cawmodore
  • Volkraken
  • Plasmanta
  • Naviathan
Move Restrictions

Players cannot use the following moves:
  • Dark Void

Players cannot use the following moves on the same team:
  • Gravity and any move which can induce sleep

Item Restrictions

• Salamencite
  • Soul Dew

Special thanks to TheFenderStory for helping us get the custom CAP formats on a server.

Last edited:

QueenOfLuvdiscs

Tier 3 Audino sub
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Excadrill will remained banned and weather boosting abilities (Swift Swim without Drizzle, Sand Rush, Chlorophyll) will remain unbanned (Swift Swim + Drizzle is banned, Drought + Chlorophyll is NOT banned). Cawmodore is NOT allowed because he was finished after 6th Gen started.
This makes me so happy.

DPP seems like it'll be lots of fun to play and I always wanted to play that, not sure on the others but hopefully will get to try them out soon.

well, imma probably be stuck with gen 6...unless i use that cancer team of hEAl's...oh well, i dont think anybody wants to see anymore of that garbage

[21:22] HeaLnDeaL: post a necturna meme or something in the thread, too :s

does this count? NECTURNA HYPE

If anyone wants to be a part of the winning team, please contact me :] Particularly interested in drafting some good past gen players, dubs players, and dank memers, so if any of those apply to you gimme a jingle

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
is a CAP Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
sparktrain said:
If anyone wants to be a part of the losing team, please contact me :] Particularly interested in drafting some good past gen players, dubs players, and dank memers, so if any of those apply to you gimme a jingle

If you really want to get around TogeRachi, just bring Shield Dust Cyclohm. It can't be paralyzed and moves' secondary effects are prevented from affecting it.

innovamania

WEESNAWW
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So since everyone is posting dank memes I guess I'll try and give my opinion on the metagames. As it stands after playign soe of each and theorymoning, I think most of them are viable for this type of tournament. First of all it would mean more players can get drafted and I think theirs enough interest to do this. My favourite metagame has been DPP CAP so far. It's a fun tier and it's been fun building traditional gen 4 team archetypes with CAP's in mind. I think Gen 4 CAP should be added to the tier lists one hundred percent. CAP Doubles is another interesting one. However since a lot of caps were built with the singles format in mind it's hard to to get them to fit on doubles teams. So I'm rlly iffy on cap doubles being added but I'm not openly opposed to it. Monotype cap, even though regular monotype is seen as a joke by the competitive community is probably more viable for this kind of tourney then doubles cap. Their are enough types that every type gets a bonus. Following the op I'm just gicing my opinion and not actually going into metagame specifics but heres my final thoughts.

DPP CAP - Definitely should be added. Very fun metagame.
CAP Doubles - Could be added could not be added. I don't think it'd be a very goo metagame if it was added but i also prolly could eplore it more
CAP Monotype - Probably should be added. it's pretty fun and I honestly think its a better metagame then cap doubles

If you really want to get around TogeRachi, just bring Shield Dust Cyclohm. It can't be paralyzed and moves' secondary effects are prevented from affecting it.
Doesn't Toge's STAB Dazzling, particuarly the Nasty Plot Toge, hurt Clom? Also, Ex is a big fan of Toxic on Rachi, so unless you have Heal Bell, Rachi can annoy clom too.

Something like Heatran, perhaps with Taunt to stop wish passing, rock setting and status spreading, would be better, although it still gets annoyed by Toge's t-wave.

CT Exclaimer, the thread. Good job guys. I totally struggle with Cyclohm though on my team with Chansey, Togekiss, and Colossoil w/ wish passing.

I love gen 5 CAP. I can't state that enough; it's fast paced, Cawmodore is gone, permaweather brings a new form of counterplay and rewards smart switching, Gothitelle can't trap stuff anymore, Cawmodore is gone, and Cawmodore is gone.

I've been using sun a lot, cause thats what I started playing competitively with, and it's still great in my opinion. Malaconda helps it out so that I'm not required to run Forretress and I can get past rain stuff easier.

What do you guys think of gen 5?

CAP Doubles is another interesting one. However since a lot of caps were built with the singles format in mind it's hard to to get them to fit on doubles teams. So I'm rlly iffy on cap doubles being added but I'm not openly opposed to it.
I kinda disagree. Stuff like Fidgit and Tomohawk fit really well into Doubles, and Necturna is a godsend, so there are new things CAP brings to the table. Seeing as Fidgit is my favorite CAP, and it works fantastically in it, I'm excited for doubles.

Hi im interested :] caps dubs is my game, fratty is the name. Also expanding on what Exclaimer said, caps double is a very interesting and fun meta type, but i've only tinkered with it so far. And some mons do stand out right off the bat such as tomohawk and fidgit. There is tons of potential for all the mons. But also agreeing with innovamania some will simply see little to no usage because they are outclassed.

Last edited:
I suppose I'll share my thoughts regarding metagame choices. I won't say too much on ORAS/BW2 since they're pretty much in for sure at this point, so I'll focus on the other three, DPP/Monotype/Doubles.

In addition to being a pretty fun metagame (from the limited test matches I've had), DPP CAP has something that the other two formats don't have: it actually existed as a metagame before this tournament, outside a few random test battles of course, and therefore, had a dedicated playerbase. Not a huge one by any means, and of course many DPP CAP players are retired at this point. However, there are still a few DPP CAP players that still frequent Smogon, and including DPP CAP as a format here could be a cool throwback for those guys. I've also know of a few DPP OU players that have expressed interest in picking up DPP CAP for the CAP TT. Overall, the interest/hype for this metagame is definitely there, and my personal opinion is that it's a bit more important than the other two formats, as it's a past iteration of the CAP Metagame and therefore part of CAP's history, as opposed to the other ones which are basically spinoffs.

I'm still kinda torn on the other two formats, CAP Monotype and CAP Doubles. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages over the other. Both formats can potentially draw interest from the Monotype and Doubles communities respectively. To me, it feels like there are more Dubs players that have expressed interest in the CAP TT than Monotype players, but this is mainly based on the interactions I've had in the CAP room as of late. I guess I could go either way, slightly leaning towards including Dubs over Monotype at this point, but hey, that could still change.

tl;dr

DPP CAP - for sure imo
CAP Monotype - not sure
CAP Doubles - not entirely sure, but leaning towards its inclusion

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
I'll just chime in and say that CAP Monotype would be... a lot more luck based than the other metas, and I'm not entirely sure that's what we want. One team could be at a huge disadvantage just because their Mono player brought in a team that was weak to their opponent's. We could in theory try to accommodate this by making Mono's section a best 2 of 3 and encourage different teams to be used each match, but then that would be putting a lot of extra pressure and teambuilding on mono players... Overall, at this point, I'm thinking it just might be more competitively "fair" to go with Doubles. I'm still definitely open to hearing other opinions, however.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
*Moderator Announcement*

The CAPtains and I have decided that this weekend we will be starting sign ups. This will happen in a different thread, and should be open on Sunday. Sign ups will last for approximately one week.

At this time, the line up is looking like 2 ORAS CAP matches, 1 5th gen match, 1 4th gen match, and the last slot will likely be CAP Doubles. If you'd like a different line up, now is the time to make your case :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)