1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon Carbink

Discussion in 'OverUsed' started by UltiMario, Oct 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UltiMario

UltiMario

[​IMG]
    Carbink

Pokedex Number - 703
    Type(s) - Rock / Fairy
    Base Stats - 50 / 50 / 150 / 50 / 150 / 50

Abilities
    Clear Body: User's stats cannot be lowered
    Sturdy (DW): User can't be KO'd from full health by an attack.

- Level up moves
    Lv01 - Tackle
    Lv01 - Harden
    Lv05 - Rock Throw
    Lv08 - Sharpen
    Lv12 - Smack Down
    Lv18 - Reflect
    Lv21 - Stealth Rock
    Lv27 - Guard Swap
    Lv31 - Ancient Power
    Lv35 - Flail
    Lv40 - Skill Swap
    Lv46 - Power Gem
    Lv49 - Stone Edge
    Lv50 - Moonblast
    Lv60 - Light Screen
    Lv70 - Safeguard

- TMs and HMs compatibility
    TM04: Calm Mind
    TM17: Protect
    TM06: Toxic
    TM07: Hail
    TM10: Hidden Power
    TM11: Sunny Day
    TM16: Light Screen
    TM17: Protect
    TM20: Safeguard
    TM21: Frustration
    TM27: Return
    TM29: Psychic
    TM32: Double Team
    TM33: Reflect
    TM37: Sandstorm
    TM39: Rock Tomb
    TM42: Facade
    TM44: Rest
    TM48: Round
    TM64: Explosion
    TM69: Rock Polish
    TM70: Flash
    Tm71: Stone Edge
    TM74: Gyro Ball
    TM77: Psych Up
    TM80: Rock Slide
    TM87: Swagger
    TM88: Sleep Talk
    TM90: Substitute
    TM92: Trick Room
    TM96: Nature Power
    TM99: Dazzling Gleam
    TM100: Confide

Potential Movesets

CroBink
    Carbink @ Leftovers
    Ability: Clear Body
    EVs: 4 SAtk / 252 HP / 252 Def
    Bold Nature
    - Calm Mind
    - Moon Blast
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk

Take Carbink's attributes and make the most of them, basically. Max out physical defense and then start setting up Calm Minds. Eventually, you might get enough boosts for your Moonblasts to actually do something. This has some serious trouble getting through Steels as not only does Moonblast get resisted by them, but they can't be worn down with Toxic Spikes support either.

Suicide Lead
    Carbink @ Light Clay
    Ability: Sturdy
    EVs: 88 SDef / 252 HP / 168 Def
    Calm Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Reflect
    - Light Screen
    - Explosion

Carbink is at the very least capable of getting Screens and Hazards up, assuming it doesn't get taunted first. The idea is to be able to have enough Bulk to SR first turn, then get Reflect and Light Screen up after that to maximize how many turns you'll have screens active. It ends its set-up with Explosion to suicide, and hopefully put a decent chunk of damage into something or break a substitute that may have been set up on it.

Summary
    Carbink overall has strong defenses combined with decent (but not great) defensive typing crippled by weak offenses and, at the time of writing, a mediocre movepool that lacks key moves such as a form of reliable recovery. It's not something that looks like it's going to make big waves in the OU meta, but at the very least it's fairly unique.
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
    Hyota, Piexplode and unfixable like this.
  2. GDK

GDK

I hate the fact that this thing is genderless.
    If he had a gender maybe he could have recover or wish as an egg move or even spikes/toxik spikes and become really annoying.

Well maybe move tutors in the future can help this guy, I love him so much with its incredible defensive stats (and better HP than shukle)
    Yellow Tokiwa and Karmacharged like this.
  3. azureleaf17

azureleaf17

...so they took Shuckle, changed Bug to Fairy, and made it slightly less extreme in all categories.

I want my old Shuckle back :(
    AuraSphere0, Hyota, Karxrida and 5 others like this.
  4. Mattman324

Mattman324

You still have him, if you want to go with Power Trick or some crazy set like that. Personally, I like this more though, because it not being AS extreme affords for some creativity.

This thing is dang near unbreakable in a short period of time. It's a stall pokemon, to be sure, so if stall gets an upswing this generation (And I think it might!), this guy could be seeing some use. As it is... eh, don't expect to see much higher than RU or maybe UU.
    Nuanda92 likes this.
  5. Fundance

Fundance

The biggest issue with this thing, I find, is that it's even more of a setup fodder than Umbreon. It completely lacks any way to prevent an opponent from coming in and doing whatever they want, even as it sets up screens and stealth rock while remaining nigh unbreakable. The lack of recovery isn't nice either and it's completely vulnerable to taunt. Interesting pokemon stats-wise but it needs more moves!
  6. Mattman324

Mattman324

The thing is, this is the same problem as Shuckle. There's no way to make a Shuckle variant able to handle Taunt without going whole hog with Power Trick.

Unless it gets Leech Seed or somesuch through breeding...
  7. Fundance

Fundance

Actually, residual damage moves like Wrap and Bind got buffed this gen. At least Infestation now deals 1/8 HP damage at the end of a turn. So binding band Shuckle may actually be able to threaten in sand.

Carbink doesn't get anything like that though, but I guess...it can still try to chip away with moon blast?
  8. Robert Alfons

Robert Alfons The Lord's Favorite
    is a Tiering Contributor

Carbink is a mediocre nu stall mon and nothing more, trust me. Pity, it could've been more, but its terrible offenses and lack of reliable recovery really, really hamper it.
  9. Lazyboy0337

Lazyboy0337

One positive it has over it's rival Shuckle is being able to reliably set up stealth rocks repetitively because of it's rock resist. Not much but if you really need rocks up you got something.
  10. niddo87

niddo87

I thought use it like:

Modest @ Leftovers
    252 HP / 252 S.Atk / 6 Spe
    - Power Gem
    - Moonblast
    - Calm Mind
    - Safeguard / Stealth Rock

It's just an idea. It can take some hit while set up Calm Mind, safeguard is to prevent poison, burn, etc.
  11. Solner

Solner

I have to come in here and mention something about this little guy because he is my favorite new poke from this gen. He can learn trick room. That is all.

I think Carbink could make a really good trick room setter in UU. Bonus if sandstorm is up.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
    Piexplode likes this.
  12. Goutland

Goutland

Not that anyone actually cares about most obvious non OU mons like Carbink at this point, but I've found a decent niche for it as I've been using it in online rated (special) battles. It counters Vivillon and Talonflame well, resisting both of their dual stabs and hitting them both 4x effectively with STAB power gem or rock tomb (haven't decided which is better yet). Rest talk also lets you bypass Vivillon's nasty compoundeyes sleep powder. Other than that it's kinda crummy. It has huge issues with steel types, being 4x weak to steel and being complete setup fodder for them (especially Aegislash) or anything with taunt. Not to mention it has 4mss, as it can't run both STABs with rest talk + calm mind/toxic. It's pretty much just a slightly less shitty Shuckle in my opinion.
    Hyota and Piexplode like this.
  13. Rechi

Rechi

It's the only Trick Room setter that gets Sturdy, that's kinda neat I guess.
    KumongaTheGiantSpider likes this.
  14. Manaphy

Manaphy

Carbink is a really cool Pokemon but it really needs a movepool boost. But anyway, this thing might be kinda cool to use in Ubers because it can wall most Ho-Oh/Rayquaza/Yveltal, can set-up SR and is one of the only defensive Fairies around. If it had a way to deal with Substitute it'd be neat.
  15. monster

monster

I'm struggling to find a use for this thing myself. When looking at its weaknesses, I am on the fence about even calling its defensive typing decent. The only reason it might be decent at all is its Dragon immunity. Other than that... I don't know. Well, anyway, I'd like to see a good set for this thing. It's certainly pretty cool, but I think most people would go with Forry or Ferrothorn over him. I think its best use is as a suicide lead. The CroBink set really isn't compelling for me.
  16. Xenon Blastiose

Xenon Blastiose

Mediocre Pokémon, doubt it'll see much use even in NU.

Just gonna quote a post from the Fairy thread.

17. El Coqui

El Coqui

Carbink has interesting typing but as you say his lack of decent recovery hinders it greatly. At least give it moonlight since GF changed that move to fairy. His offensive stats I doubt any of us should even look at.

This much is true it does easily counter these two pokemon and the other Bug/Flying and Flying types in low tier with a few exceptions. Talonflame, firstly, may go as high as UU because of Gale Wings and its movepool. Also Carbink still takes 2x from Water and Grass type attacks which many guys carry.

I think despite his high defenses Carbink will have to worry most about Earthquakes and water/grass type moves. His saving grace and curse is that he is 4x weak to steel but there are only 3 offensive Steel types in NU (metang, mawile, and klang) and one has the possibility moving up a tier. With good team support its possibly Carbink can do well (example use Sawsbuck or maybe even Offensive Lapras)

Calcs would help if someone could do that.

edit: if you need something to compare it to look at Probopass but remember Probo takes 4x to ground and fighting while Carbink takes neutral from fighting and 2x from ground
  18. Manaphy

Manaphy

I don't really understand how the Steel weakness is that crippling, Steel is a very rare type offensively and it's pretty easy to find a resistive partner.

ATM I'm thinking Carbink's main niche will be it's very nice defensive stats and typing, as it allows it to straight up check a lot of things. I just wish it had more than Screens, Rocks, or Toxic to do in that time; Carbink really wants like Roar or Spikes or something.
  19. El Coqui

El Coqui

On part 1) Steel is very rare but what i meant was it still takes lots of damage from Klang and Metang should it have to face one in NU. So yes like I said with good team support overall Carbink has less to worry about.

Part 2) I think DualScreening is a perfect niche for Carbink in NU or running just a defensive spread with Rocks and Toxic. Without fair recovery you can utilize a CM set all that well anyways
  20. Manaphy

Manaphy

Naw Steel attacks are just pretty rare in general, maybe more common in OU. I feel like Carbink will be one of those Pokemon that ends up in like RU/NU/UU but is still somewhat usable in higher tiers.

A Mono-attacking Calm Mind set is actually really usable because Fairy gets good coverage and Carbink doesn't care about Fire and Poison types, and has the pure defensive stats to do it. You'll obviously have to take out Steels but I think like Moonblast/CM/Rest/Sleep Talk with investment in Defense is a possible set for lower tiers.
  21. El Coqui

El Coqui

Yea I do see your point with Steel rarity. I dont think i can see him as high as UU but definitely after just using him in an RU against my buddy this is great. This was the set i ran because i simply enjoy it more

Clear Body Leftovers
    Calm 252def 252spdef 4hp
    -Stealth Rocks
    -PowerGem
    -Moonblast
    -Toxic

If Carbink can get Moonlight as an egg move or something then I would officially have a new wall for RU. PowerGem did 50% to standard Aerodactyl and it would wall Typhlosion easy. Even in RU the only real things id have to worry about are EQ and Stab Water/Grass moves.
  22. Manaphy

Manaphy

For a set like that you'll probably want to maximize your HP EV's, generally the lower the HP stat and the higher Defenses you'll want to maximize HP and vice versa.

About egg moves, sadly this thing is gender-less so the moves listed are it.
  23. GDK

GDK

egg moves for genderless pokemon?
    Yeah not gonna happen.
    If he had a gender wish or recover could be in its arsenal and he could be a great wall.
  24. JayHankEdLyon

JayHankEdLyon

Well yeah, before Fairy became a thing. Now we should expect to see a few more Iron Heads and Bullet Punches throughout the tiers.
    Karxrida and Piexplode like this.
  25. El Coqui

El Coqui

Lol didnt pay attention to it having no gender. Still i would complain to GF for changing Moonlight into a Fairy move and not giving it to Carbink

edit: having used Carbink in RU is best friend would be Rotom-W who covers all of Carbink's weaknesses
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)