Carracosta (BW2 Update)

Governess

A Beautiful Blossom Waiting to Bloom
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
To-Do List

0. Get this analysis in skeleton form. []

I. Fix any errors pertaining to the content / set(s) of the analysis. []

II. Receive two QC Checks, fixing any mistakes along the way. []

III. Fully write out the analysis after the 2nd QC Check. []

IV. Receive the final QC Check when the written work has been looked over. []

V. Correct any obvious grammar-prose mistakes before handing it to GP. []

VI. Receive two GP Checks, and have this analysis on-site. []

3/3: | | ebeast | Treecko |Annoyer |

2/2: | Ender37 | GatoDelFuego |

[Overview]
[/URL]

[*]

[/LIST]
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

[SET]
name: Tank
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Waterfall
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Aqua Jet / Toxic
item: Leftovers
ability: Solid Rock
nature: Adamant
evs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def

[SET COMMENTS]

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

[Other Options]

[Checks and Counters]

[Overview]

<p>Carracosta is one of the best setup sweepers in the tier, as it can set up on many offensive Pokemon and tank super effective hits thanks to its ability, Solid Rock. Carracosta has a great offensive typing and powerful STAB options, which make it very difficult to defeat if it sets up Shell Smash. However, aside from being an offensive sweeper, Carracosta can also run a tank set with Stealth Rock. Carracosta's awful Speed stat might be the only thing holding it back, but having access to Aqua Jet mitigates that weakness somewhat. After Carracosta sets up a Shell Smash, it can be really devastating and game-changing, which is why it's such a good sweeper.</p>

[SET]
name: Shell Smash
move 1: Shell Smash
move 4: Aqua Jet
item: Life Orb
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With its great bulk in unison with Solid Rock, Carracosta can set up Shell Smash on a variety of Pokemon, including Kangaskhan, Tauros, Swellow, and Sawk and Primeape that are not locked into Close Combat. Once Carracosta has set up, it can completely flip the outcome of the game. After a Shell Smash boost, Carracosta can 2HKO Alomomola and OHKO Audino, Braviary, Kangaskhan, and Lickilicky. It should be noted, however, that Carracosta cannot switch into Kangaskhan to set up. Waterfall and Stone Edge are Carracosta's STAB moves, hitting the majority of the tier for at least neutral damage. Aqua Jet is Carracosta's STAB priority move, revenge killing weakened threats and Choice Scarf users.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Solid Rock is what permits Carracosta to set up on many Pokemon, as it weakens super effective attacks for Carracosta. The EV spread with an Adamant nature allows Carracosta to outspeed neutral base 98 Speed Pokemon, such as Swanna and Basculin, after a Shell Smash boost. However, a Jolly nature can be used to allow Carracosta to outspeed base 113 Pokemon and below, such as Serperior, once it's at +2. A Lum Berry and Sturdy combination is an option to guarantee Carracosta sets up Shell Smash at full HP. A Liechi Berry with Sturdy combination is also plausible, with the main advantage being having similar power to Life Orb, minus the recoil. However, it is harder to pull off successfully. Rock Slide can replace Stone Edge for better accuracy, but the loss in power is noticeable. Likewise, Aqua Tail can be used over Waterfall as a slightly stronger STAB move, but the decrease in accuracy can hinder Carracosta. Hidden Power Grass can hit Seismitoad and Alomomola harder and more reliably than Carracosta's other moves, but it would have to give up Waterfall and have a Naughty nature to make the most of it.</p>

<p>Carracosta appreciates entry hazards on the field to make it easier to score OHKOs on Pokemon such as Primeape and Misdreavus. Scoilpede, Golurk, and Piloswine are good partners as entry hazard setters, with Scolipede also being able to take on Grass-types that Carracosta despises. Toxic Spikes is huge issue for Carracosta; it makes it harder for Carracosta to set up and maintain longevity. Poison-types, specifically Garbodor and Scolipede, can absorb Toxic Spikes for Carracosta. Seismitoad can tank Carracosta's attacks and OHKO with Earth Power, so Pokemon who can deal with it, such as Ludicolo and Vileplume, make great allies. Muk is also a good partner for Carracosta, as it can not only be a great counter to Tangela but can also weaken threats such as Misdreavus, Alomomola, and Poison Touch Seismitoad for Carracosta to KO. It can also use Memento, making it easier for Carracosta to set up. LumRest Exeggutor, Gothorita, and Charizard can deal with all of Carracosta's counters, specifically Alomomola, Tangela, and Torkoal, very well, so they make great partners.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set takes advantage of Carracosta's defensive prowess with Soild Rock. Carracosta has great potential as a tank, as it can take a hit and deliver one back without excessive difficulty. Stealth Rock can be set up to weaken Flying- and Bug-type Pokemon in the tier, making Carracosta a great supporter to the team. Waterfall and Stone Edge are Carracosta's STAB moves, which boast great coverage against the majority of the tier. Aqua Jet patches up Carracosta's horrid Speed stat, which can hinder it at times. However, Toxic holds that surprise factor, crippling walls such as Tangela, Alomomola, and Seismitoad that Carracosta would have trouble defeating otherwise.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>248 HP EVs grant maximum bulk to Carracosta while getting the most HP recovery from Leftovers. 252 Atk EVs with an Adamant nature prevent Carracosta from being offensively weak; however, those EVs can be placed in Defense for more bulk. Rocky Helmet is optional for racking up extra damage on physically offensive Pokemon that Carracosta switches into. With Solid Rock, Carracosta can take super effective attacks more easily; it can avoid an OHKO from Choice Scarf Rotom-S's Thunderbolt and weaken Kangaskhan's Earthquake. Rock Slide and Aqua Tail can replace the original STAB moves for more accuracy or power, respectively. Knock Off is great for crippling opponents by removing their item, specifically Tangela or Misdreavus's Eviolite. It's hard to fit Knock Off into this set, however.</p>

<p>Carracosta has no reliable recovery for HP or from status conditions, so Heal Bell and/or Wish users are great allies. Alomomola, Flareon, and Vileplume are good options to consider. Seismitoad and Samurott are both notable threats to Carracosta, but Serperior and Ludicolo can KO both of them. As Carracosta's main goal is to get Stealth Rock on the field, sweepers that appreciate entry hazard support, such as Pinsir and Ludicolo, are good partners. As Carracosta wants to keep Stealth Rock on the field for its team, having spinblockers such as Misdreavus, which can offer Heal Bell and Will-O-Wisp support, and Golurk, which can serve as a backup Stealth Rock user, are good allies. Finally, LumRest Exeggutor, Charizard, and Gothorita all are great partners, as they can deal with Carracosta's counters in their own respective ways.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Carracosta is very versatile, so it has many other options to select from. A fully physically defensive spread with Solid Rock and a moveset consisting of Stealth Rock / Scald / Rock Slide / Toxic can hit hard and potentially burn opponents with Scald or cripple them with Toxic. Additionally, an offensive Swift Swim set consisting of Waterfall / Stone Edge / Aqua Jet / Hidden Power Grass is great to consider if Carracosta is used on a rain team. Flail with a Leichi Berry and Sturdy is an extremely situational tactic to OHKO Alomomola at +3 after Stealth Rock damage. Carracosta can use its Shell Smash to power up its specially offensive attacks, which does well against physical walls, but it's weaker than the physically attacking version. Mystic Water can be used to specifically power up Carracosta's Water-type attacks, but its other attacks are then noticeably weaker. A Choice Band set is plausible, as Carracosta has many other physical attacking moves to use, such as Earthquake, Superpower, Body Slam and Low Kick; however it has the potential to lose too much momentum for the team.</p>

<p>Carracosta can utilize many other alternative attacking moves. Curse is great for increasing Carracosta's tanking prowess, and it can be used in the tank set to defeat SubBU Braviary much easier, but with Carracosta wielding no reliable source of recovery, it isn't very effective. Ice Beam can hit Tangela harder, but unfortunately that is all it really offers to Carracosta. Icy Wind and Bulldoze are both situational moves that can lower the Speed of Carracosta's faster threats, but even so it is still quite slow. Carracosta can be a rain inducer with Damp Rock, but there are generally other Pokemon better suited for that role. Rest is Carracosta's only recovery source, but it leaves itself wide open during the two turns of sleep. Finally, Rock Polish can raise Carracosta's Speed without the defense drops, but unlike Shell Smash, Rock Polish does little to increase Carracosta's offensive presence.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Tangela is the best counter to Carracosta, fearing only the very rare Ice Beam. Grass-types in general, such as Serprior and Vileplume, are great counters to Carracosta as well. Seismitoad and Alomomola can tank any of Carracosta's attacks and retaliate with Earth Power or cripple it with Toxic, respectively. Specially offensive Samurott fares pretty well against Carracosta too, as it can OHKO Carracosta with Hidden Power Grass.</p>

<p>Carracosta also has its fair share of checks. Choice Scarf Jynx outspeeds any variant of Carracosta, is immune to its Water-type attacks, and can OHKO Carracosta with Psychic. However, Jynx cannot switch into a Stone Edge from Carracosta, and it can only OHKO Carracosta after a defensive drop from Shell Smash. Sawk locked into Close Combat can severely weaken Carracosta as well, but it doesn't enjoy switching into any of Carracosta's attacks except for Stone Edge. Good checks to the tank set are Pokemon with Guts, as they not mind being hit by Toxic at all; Gurdurr is a great example. Toxic Spikes will wear Carracosta down very easily, so Pokemon that can set it up, such as Garbodor and Scolipede, are great checks. Even with Solid Rock, hitting Carracosta with consistently powerful attacks is your best bet at defeating it, as it gets worn down very quickly. A great way to make Carracosta less threatening is to stop it from setting up Shell Smash by utilizing offensive pressure or Taunt.</p>

Last edited:
I always run 252 attack on the Tank set, and i think the set should be adamant with 252 attack EVs in order to not be weak. Also Adamant should be slashed on the first set, if Serp isnt an issue its great to have. No issue with the moves though

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Like Raseri said Adamant before Jolly on Shell Smash. I would throw Lum Berry in AC as well as make Solid Rock the only ability. Add a mention of Liechi Berry + Sturdy being usable, with the main advantage being having similar power to Life Orb without the recoil. Of course the offset would be that it's harder to pull off than Solid Rock Life Orb.

On the Tank set don't forget to change the nature to Adamant. Rocky Helmet in AC of Tank as well when you get to adding more stuff.

Governess

is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Thank you, ebeast, and alright, I have finally gotten the skeleton of this written out. It's now ready for QC! :)

ebeast

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
[Set Comments] (Shell Smash)
Costa can't set up on Jynx at all; LO sets OHKO, setting up on Scarf is fruitless as it can just switch out and revenge you anyways, and even SubNP can beat it by Subbing on the Shell Smash and LO stall until Costa gets to 60% (range for Ice Beam + LO recoil to kill) Replace that mention with Kangaskhan.

[Additional Comments] (Shell Smash)
Jolly is mainly for outspeeding max Speed Serperior, so make mention of that. Remove Ice Beam as it's more of an OO mention that anything; it's only hitting Tangela harder. Remove the mention of Vileplume and Ice Beam in general, Stone Edge hits them all harder except for Tangela and Vileplume is OHKOed by +2 Stone Edge after SR anyways. Add HP Grass here to hit Seismitoad and Alomomola (Edge hits Mola harder but HP Grass is a more reliable 2HKO since it can't miss), but of course Carracosta has to give up Waterfall and use a Naughty nature to make the most out of it.

I guess you could recommend cleaner along with Costa, but Costa itself is a late-game sweeper so idk if it would really fit. Even if not remove Murkrow and Dragonair from there. Your mention of Taunt isn't really right; Samurott and Serp have no reason to Taunt when they can OHKO anyways and Skuntank is not a threat to Carracosta really. So idk I'd rather it not be there.

[Set Comments] (Tank)
Instead of Samurott, list Alomomola and Seismitoad instead who are more common switch ins.

[Additional Comments] (Tank)
No need to mention Leftovers because it's self explanatory. Add Rocky Helmet here, it's good to rack up extra damage on the Normal- and Flying-types Carracosta can switch into.

[Other Options]
Fully physically defensive with Solid Rock and a set of SR/Scald/Rock Slide/Toxic. Tanks hits like a shit and can burn things with Scald.

[Checks and Counters]
Ice Beam isn't occasional, it's almost non-existent actually. I wouldn't mention Zebstrika, Electrode, or Primape as none of them can take a +2 Aqua Jet after Stealth Rock. Sawk can stay because it can check with Close Combat and Mold Breaker negating Sturdy if it's one of those variants. Primeape can check if its CB, but cannot switch into anything whatsoever. (Stone Edge + Aqua Jet KO Primeape lol) Add Scarf Jynx because it outspeeds any variant at +2, is immune to Aqua Jet, and can OHKO Carracosta with Psychic. The order of mentions should be: Jynx, Seismitoad, Tangela, and then Alomomola.

Implement these and I'll stamp it later.

ebeast

[Set Comments]
Remove the 8th point, Vileplume takes more from Stone Edge only Tangela is hit harder by Ice Beam, but Ice Beam mention doesn't make sense here since you removed it anyways.

alright looks good!

QC Approved 1/3

Governess

Thank you, ebeast, I implemented your check. (Sorry the format looks weird; c/p isn't working for me and everything is goofing up <_>)

[Overview]
  • I wouldn't really say that Solid Rock makes it incredibly difficult to take out; I'd just say it helps it set up on offensive sets and helps the tank set take the occasional super effective hit.
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS] (Shell Smash)
  • Adamant nature outspeeds up to base 98 Speed mons (Swanna, Basculin) and below after a Smash, and Jolly outspeeds up to base 113s (Serperior) and below; fix this to reflect that
  • For Stealth Rock partner, I'd mention something that isn't Rock-type so as not to drastically compound weaknesses; you can use something like Metang or Miltank which only share one weakness each vs the three that it shares with Regirock
  • I'd rather use a Poison-type to deal with Toxic Spikes than a spinner, you can use Scolipede or Garbodor to set up Spikes and absorb TSpikes
  • Carracosta IS a late-game sweeper with Shell Smash, so I would rather not recommend more to use alongside it
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS] (Tank)
  • Knock Off is fine here, but there's like 0 times when you would want to use Knock Off on a Murkrow over Stone Edge; you can change it to something else like Misdreavus, but Tangela is fine here!
  • Kangaskhan isn't really a sweeper, so I'd change the sweeper part to include like Pinsir or another sweeper
[Other Options]
  • Include an offensive Swift Swim set; I've seen a set with dual STAB, Aqua Jet, and Hidden Power Grass used really well before!
Looks mostly good! Make these changes, and I'll stamp.

ebeast

If you want non Rock-type SR mons to pair it off with I generally use Golurk or Piloswine for that.(Ground-type SR mons in general work so you can stop VSwitch. Offensive SR Seismitoad does well against Seis and Alomo for Costa as well) Both are immune to Electric attacks while Golurk is also immune to Fighting and Piloswine can takes on Scarf Jynx. I wouldn't mention Regirock tho.

While I'm posting I'd like LumRest Exeggutor to be added as a partner as it beats all of Carracosta's counters (Seismitoad, Alomomola, Tangela) without any effort. Gothorita and Charizard are other cool partners for different reasons; Gothi can trap the 3 counters and even Scarf Jynx if it can avoid hax; Be it LO or SD, Zard can take down Costa counters as well with the right move or a boosted Acro in SD's case.

Governess

My apologies for the long delay, but I have written out this analysis, so it needs a final look-at from QC! :)

when you say carracosta is ohkod by scarf jynx psychic, mention that it ohkos only at -1 defenses
im not sure if primeape should be listed in c&c because it does get ohkod by +2 ajet from costa - id just list gurdurr and sawk in there as both can take a hit
make some mention of how costa got better with jynx, primeape, and scolipede in the meta such as at +2 it can outspeed non-scarfed jynx jynx which is the only water resistance for most teams and with an adamant nature, it can ohko primeape and scolipede with a +2 life orb ajet (list the latter reasons for why adamant is better too)
add flail with sturdy leichi in OO to ohko alomo after rocks at +3
mention that curse can be used on the defensive set as a more reliable way to beat braviary (subbu variants)
in the overview when you say "Overall, unlike other sweepers in NU, Carracosta is a very solid Pokemon with few flaws to exploit." - id remove this point because carracosta does have a lot of flaws as a sweeper but instead state how after it sets up a shell smash it can be really devastating and gamechanging which is why its such a good sweeper
add muk as a partner in ac of shell smash set because it can weaken stuff like missy, alomomola, and seismitoad with poison touch and attacks into a range where carracosta can ohko them after a boost - also add that it can use memento to give carracosta an easier time setting up as well as that muk is a good answer to tangela

add all that; good job qc 3/3

Ender

pelagic
is a Contributor Alumnus
GP Check 1/2

Additions and Changes
Deletions
[Comments]

[Overview]

<p>Carracosta is one of the best setup sweepers in the tier, as it can set up on many offensive Pokemon and tank super effective hits thanks to its ability, Solid Rock. Carracosta has a great offensive typing and powerful STAB options, which make it very difficult to defeat if it sets up Shell Smash. However, aside from being an offensive sweeper, Carracosta can also run a tank set with Stealth Rock. Carracosta's awful Speed stat might be the only thing holding it back, but having access to Aqua Jet mitigates that weakness. After Carracosta sets up a Shell Smash, it can be really devastating and game-changing, which is why it's such a good sweeper.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With its great bulk in unison combination with Solid Rock, Carracosta can set up Shell Smash on a variety of Pokemon, including Kangaskhan, Tauros, Swellow, and Sawk and Primeape that not locked into Close Combat. Once Carracosta has set up, it can completely flip the outcome of the game. After a Shell Smash boost, Carracosta can 2HKO Alomomola and OHKO Audino, Braviary, Kangaskhan, and Lickilicky with its respective moves. It should be noted, however, that Carracosta cannot switch into Kangaskhan to set up. Waterfall and Stone Edge are Carracosta's STAB moves, hitting the majority of the tier for at least neutral damage. Aqua Jet is Carracosta's STAB priority move, revenge killing weakened threats and Choice Scarf users.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Solid Rock is what permits Carracosta to set up on many Pokemon, as it weakens super effective attacks for Carracosta. The EV spread with an Adamant nature allows Carracosta to outspeed neutral base 98 Speed Pokemon, such as Swanna and Basculin, after a Shell Smash boost. However, a Jolly nature can be used to allow Carracosta to outspeed base 113 Speed Pokemon and below, such as Serperior, at +2. A Lum Berry and Sturdy combination is an option to guarantee Carracosta sets up Shell Smash at full HP. A Liechi Berry with Sturdy combination is also plausible, with the main advantage being having similar power to Life Orb, minus the recoil. However, it is harder to pull off successfully. Rock Slide can replace Stone Edge for better accuracy, but the loss in power is noticeable. Likewise, Aqua Tail can be used over Waterfall as a slightly stronger STAB move, but the decrease loss in accuracy can hinder Carracosta. Hidden Power Grass can hit Seismitoad and Alomomola harder and more reliably than Carracosta's other moves, but it would have to give up Waterfall and have a Naughty nature to make the most out of it.</p>

<p>Carracosta appreciates entry hazards on the field to make it easier to score OHKOs on Pokemon such as Primeape and Misdreavus. Scoilpede, Golurk, and Piloswine are good partners as entry hazard setters, with Scolipede also being able to take on Grass-types that Carracosta despise as well. Toxic Spikes is huge issue for Carracosta; it makes it harder for Carracosta to set up and maintain longevity. Poison-types, specifically Garbodor and Scolipede, can absorb Toxic Spikes for Carracosta. Seismitoad can tank Carracosta's attacks and OHKO with Earth Power, so Pokemon who can deal with it, such as Ludicolo and Vileplume, are make great allies to use alongside Carracosta. Muk is also a good partner for Carracosta, as it can not only be a great counter to Tangela but can also weaken threats such as Misdreavus, Alomomola, and Poison Touch Seismitoad for Carracosta to KO. It can also use Memento, making it easier for Carracosta to set up. LumRest Exeggutor, Gothorita, and Charizard can deal with all of Carracosta's counters, specifically Alomomola, Tangela, and Torkoal, very well, so they make for great partners.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set takes advantage of Carracosta's defensive prowess with Soild Rock. Carracosta has great potential as a tank, as it can take a hit and deliver one back without excessive difficulty. Stealth Rock can be set up to weaken Flying- and Bug-type Pokemon in the tier, making Carracosta a great supporter to the team. Waterfall and Stone Edge are Carracosta's STAB moves, which displays boast great coverage against the majority of the tier. Aqua Jet patches up Carracosta's horrid Speed stat, which can hinder Carracosta it at times. However, Toxic holds that surprise factor, crippling walls [removed ,] such as Tangela, Alomomola, and Seismitoad [removed ,] that Carracosta would have trouble defeating otherwise.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>248 HP EVs grant maximum bulk to Carracosta while getting the most HP recovery from Leftovers. 252 Atk EVs with an Adamant nature prevent Carracosta from being offensively weak; however, those EVs can be placed in Defense for more defensive bulk. Rocky Helmet is optional for racking up extra damage on physically offensive Pokemon that Carracosta switches into. With Solid Rock, Carracosta can take super effective attacks more easily; it can avoid an OHKO from Choice Scarf Rotom-S's Thunderbolt and weaken Kangaskhan's Earthquake. Rock Slide and Aqua Tail can replace the original STAB moves for more accuracy or power, respectively. Knock Off is great for crippling opponents by removing their item, specifically Tangela or Misdreavus's Eviolite. It's hard to fit Knock Off into this set, however.</p>

<p>Carracosta has no reliable recovery for HP or from status conditions or for HP, so Heal Bell and/or Wish users are great allies for Carracosta. Alomomola, Flareon, and Vileplume are good options to consider. Seismitoad and Samurott are both notable threats to Carracosta, [changed ; to ,] but Serperior and Ludicolo can KO both of them for Carracosta. As Carracosta's main goal is to get Stealth Rock on the field, sweepers that appreciate entry hazard support, such as Pinsir and Ludicolo, are good partners alongside Carracosta. As Carracosta would want to keep Stealth Rock on the field for its team, having spinblockers such as Misdreavus, who can offer Heal Bell and Will-O-Wisp support, and Golurk, who can serve as a back-up Stealth Rock user, are good allies. Finally, LumRest Exeggutor, Charizard, and Gothorita all are great partners, as they can deal with Carracosta's counters in their own respective ways.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Carracosta is very versatile, so it has there are many other options it can to select from. A fully physically defensive spread with Solid Rock with and a moveset consisting of Stealth Rock / Scald / Rock Slide / Toxic can hit hard and potentially burn opponents with Scald or cripple the opponent with Toxic. Additionally, an offensive Swift Swim set consisting of Waterfall / Stone Edge / Aqua Jet / Hidden Power Grass is great to consider if Carracosta is used on a rain team. Flail with a Leichi Berry and a Sturdy ability is a extremely situational tactic to OHKO Alomomola at +3 after Stealth Rock damage. Carracosta can use its Shell Smash to power up its specially offensive attacks, which does well against physical walls, but it's weaker than the physically attacking version. Mystic Water can be used to specifically power up Carracosta's Water-type attacks, but its other attacks are then noticeably weaker. A Choice Band set is plausible, as Carracosta has many other physical attacking moves to use, such as Earthquake, Superpower, Body Slam and Low Kick; however, it has the potential to lose loses too much momentum for the team.</p>

<p>Carracosta can also utilize has many other alternative attacking moves to utilize. Curse is great for increasing Carracosta's tanking prowess, and it can be used in the tank set to defeat SubBU Braviary much easier, but with Carracosta wielding no reliable sources of recovery, it isn't very effective. Ice Beam can hit Tangela harder, but unfortunately, that is all it really offers to Carracosta. Ice Wind and Bulldoze are both situational moves that can lower the Speed of Carracosta's faster threats, but even so, it is still quite slow. Carracosta can be a Rain Dance rain inducer with Damp Rock, but there are generally other more Pokemon better-suited for that role. Rest is Carracosta's only recovery source, but it leaves itself wide open during the two turns of sleep. Finally, Rock Polish can raise Carracosta's Speed without the defense drops, but unlike Shell Smash, Rock Polish does little to increase Carracosta's offensive presence.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Tangela is the best counter to Carracosta, fearing only the very rare Ice Beam. Grass-types in general, such as Serprior and Vileplume, are great counters to Carracosta as well. Seismitoad and Alomomola can tank any of Carracosta's attacks and retaliate with Earth Power or cripple it with Toxic, respectively. Specially offensive Samurott fares pretty well against Carracosta too as well, as it can OHKO Carracosta with Hidden Power Grass.</p>

<p>Carracosta also has its fair share of checks. Choice Scarf Jynx outspeeds any variant of Carracosta, is immune its Water-type attacks, and can OHKO Carracosta with Psychic. However, it cannot switch into or take a Stone Edge from Carracosta, and it can only OHKO Carracosta at -1. Sawk locked into Close Combat can severely weaken Carracosta as well, but it doesn't enjoy switching into any of Carracosta's attacks [removed ,] except for bar Stone Edge. Good checks to the tank set are Pokemon with Guts, as they not mind being hit by Toxic at all; Gurdurr is a great example of such. Toxic Spikes will wear Carracosta down very easily, so Pokemon who can set it up, such as Garbodor and Scolipede, are great checks. Even with Solid Rock, hitting Carracosta with consistently powerful attacks are is your best bet at defeating it, as it gets worn down very quickly. A great way to make Carracosta less threatening is to stop it from setting up Shell Smash by utilizing offensive pressure or Taunt.</p>

Last edited:

Governess

Thank you, Ender37, implemented the check. It only needs one more to be finished! :)

Amateur check, this is in really good shape. You really like commas so I cut just a few that interrupt flow, and just a couple typos here and there.

Additions and Changes

Deletions
[Comments]

<p>Carracosta is one of the best setup sweepers in the tier, as it can set up on many offensive Pokemon and tank super effective hits thanks to its ability, Solid Rock. Carracosta has a great offensive typing and powerful STAB options [delete comma] which make it very difficult to defeat if it sets up Shell Smash. However, aside from being an offensive sweeper, Carracosta can also run a tank set with Stealth Rock. Carracosta's awful Speed stat might be the only thing holding it back, but having access to Aqua Jet mitigates that weakness. After Carracosta sets up a Shell Smash, it can be really devastating and game-changing, which is why it's such a good sweeper.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With its great bulk in unison with Solid Rock, Carracosta can set up Shell Smash on a variety of Pokemon, including Kangaskhan, Tauros, Swellow, and Sawk and Primeape that are not locked into Close Combat. Once Carracosta has set up, it can completely flip the outcome of the game. After a Shell Smash boost, Carracosta can 2HKO Alomomola and OHKO Audino, Braviary, Kangaskhan, and Lickilicky. It should be noted [delete comma] however, that Carracosta cannot switch into Kangaskhan to set up. Waterfall and Stone Edge are Carracosta's STAB moves, hitting the majority of the tier for at least neutral damage. Aqua Jet is Carracosta's STAB priority move, revenge killing weakened threats and Choice Scarf users.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Solid Rock is what permits Carracosta to set up on many Pokemon, as it weakens super effective attacks for Carracosta. The EV spread with an Adamant nature allows Carracosta to outspeed neutral base 98 Speed Pokemon, such as Swanna and Basculin, after a Shell Smash boost. However, a Jolly nature can be used to allow Carracosta to outspeed base 113 Pokemon and below, such as Serperior, at +2. A Lum Berry and Sturdy combination is an option to guarantee Carracosta sets up Shell Smash at full HP. A Liechi Berry with Sturdy combination is also plausible, with the main advantage being having similar power to Life Orb, minus the recoil. However, it is harder to pull off successfully. Rock Slide can replace Stone Edge for better accuracy, but the loss in power is noticeable. Likewise, Aqua Tail can be used over Waterfall as a slightly stronger STAB move, but the decrease in accuracy can hinder Carracosta. Hidden Power Grass can hit Seismitoad and Alomomola harder and more reliably than Carracosta's other moves, but it would have to give up Waterfall and have a Naughty nature to make the most of it.</p>

<p>Carracosta appreciates entry hazards on the field to make it easier to score OHKOs on Pokemon such as Primeape and Misdreavus. Scoilpede, Golurk, and Piloswine are good partners as entry hazard setters, with Scolipede also being able to take on Grass-types that Carracosta despises. Toxic Spikes is huge issue for Carracosta; it makes it harder for Carracosta to set up and maintain longevity. Poison-types, specifically Garbodor and Scolipede, can absorb Toxic Spikes for Carracosta. Seismitoad can tank Carracosta's attacks and OHKO with Earth Power, so Pokemon who can deal with it, such as Ludicolo and Vileplume, make great allies. Muk is also a good partner for Carracosta, as it can not only be a great counter to Tangela but can also weaken threats such as Misdreavus, Alomomola, and Poison Touch Seismitoad for Carracosta to KO. It can also use Memento, making it easier for Carracosta to set up. LumRest Exeggutor, Gothorita, and Charizard can deal with all of Carracosta's counters, specifically Alomomola, Tangela, and Torkoal, very well, so they make great partners.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set takes advantage of Carracosta's defensive prowess with Soild Rock. Carracosta has great potential as a tank, as it can take a hit and deliver one back without excessive difficulty. Stealth Rock can be set up to weaken Flying- and Bug-type Pokemon in the tier, [either "to weaken the many Flying- and Bug-type Pokemon in the tier," or just "to weaken Flying- and Bug-type Pokemon,"] making Carracosta a great supporter to the team. Waterfall and Stone Edge are Carracosta's STAB moves, which boasts great coverage against the majority of the tier. Aqua Jet patches up Carracosta's horrid Speed stat, which can hinder it at times. However, Toxic Toxic however holds that surprise factor, crippling walls such as Tangela, Alomomola, and Seismitoad that Carracosta would have trouble defeating otherwise.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>248 HP EVs grant maximum bulk to Carracosta while getting the most HP recovery from Leftovers. 252 Atk EVs with an Adamant nature prevent Carracosta from being offensively weak; however, those EVs can be placed in Defense for more defensive bulk. Rocky Helmet is optional for racking up extra damage on physically offensive Pokemon that Carracosta switches into. With Solid Rock, Carracosta can take super effective attacks more easily; it can avoid an OHKO from Choice Scarf Rotom-S's Thunderbolt and weaken Kangaskhan's Earthquake. Rock Slide and Aqua Tail can replace the original STAB moves for more accuracy or power, respectively. Knock Off is great for crippling opponents by removing their item, specifically Tangela or Misdreavus's Eviolite. It's hard to fit Knock Off into this set, however.</p>

<p>Carracosta has no reliable recovery for HP or from status conditions, so Heal Bell and/or Wish users are great allies. Alomomola, Flareon, and Vileplume are good options to consider. Seismitoad and Samurott are both notable threats to Carracosta, but Serperior and Ludicolo can KO both of them. As Carracosta's main goal is to get Stealth Rock on the field, sweepers that appreciate entry hazard support, such as Pinsir and Ludicolo, are good partners. As Carracosta would wants to keep Stealth Rock on the field for its team, having spinblockers such as Misdreavus, who can offer Heal Bell and Will-O-Wisp support, and Golurk, who can serve as a back-up Stealth Rock user, are good allies. Finally, LumRest Exeggutor, Charizard, and Gothorita all are great partners, as they can deal with Carracosta's counters in their own respective ways.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Carracosta is very versatile, so it has many other options to select from. A fully physically defensive spread with Solid Rock and a moveset consisting of Stealth Rock / Scald / Rock Slide / Toxic can hit hard and potentially burn opponents with Scald or cripple the opponent with Toxic. Additionally, an offensive Swift Swim set consisting of Waterfall / Stone Edge / Aqua Jet / Hidden Power Grass is great to consider if Carracosta is used on a rain team. Flail with a Leichi Berry and a Sturdy ability is a extremely situational tactic to OHKO Alomomola at +3 after Stealth Rock damage. Carracosta can use its Shell Smash to power up its specially offensive attacks, which does well against physical walls, but it's weaker than the physically attacking version. Mystic Water can be used to specifically power up Carracosta's Water-type attacks, but its other attacks are then noticeably weaker. A Choice Band set is plausible, as Carracosta has many other physical attacking moves to use, such as Earthquake, Superpower, Body Slam and Low Kick; however [delete comma] it has the potential to lose too much momentum for the team.</p>

<p>Carracosta can utilize many other alternative attacking moves. Curse is great for increasing Carracosta's tanking prowess, and it can be used in the tank set to defeat SubBU Braviary much easier, but with Carracosta wielding no reliable sources of recovery, it isn't very effective. Ice Beam can hit Tangela harder, but unfortunately, that is all it really offers to Carracosta. Ice Icy Wind and Bulldoze are both situational moves that can lower the Speed of Carracosta's faster threats, but even so [delete comma] it is still quite slow. Carracosta can be a rain inducer with Damp Rock, but there are generally other Pokemon better-suited for that role. Rest is Carracosta's only recovery source, but it leaves itself wide open during the two turns of sleep. Finally, Rock Polish can raise Carracosta's Speed without the defense drops, but unlike Shell Smash, Rock Polish does little to increase Carracosta's offensive presence.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Tangela is the best counter to Carracosta, fearing only the very rare Ice Beam. Grass-types in general, such as Serprior and Vileplume, are great counters to Carracosta as well. Seismitoad and Alomomola can tank any of Carracosta's attacks and retaliate with Earth Power or cripple it with Toxic, respectively. Specially offensive Samurott fares pretty well against Carracosta too, as it can OHKO Carracosta with Hidden Power Grass.</p>

<p>Carracosta also has its fair share of checks. Choice Scarf Jynx outspeeds any variant of Carracosta, is immune its Water-type attacks, and can OHKO Carracosta with Psychic. However, it cannot switch into or take a Stone Edge from Carracosta, and it can only OHKO Carracosta at -1. Sawk locked into Close Combat can severely weaken Carracosta as well, but it doesn't enjoy switching into any of Carracosta's attacks except for Stone Edge. Good checks to the tank set are Pokemon with Guts, as they do not mind being hit by Toxic at all; Gurdurr is a great example. Toxic Spikes will wear Carracosta down very easily, so Pokemon who can set it up, such as Garbodor and Scolipede, are great checks. Even with Solid Rock, hitting Carracosta with consistently powerful attacks is your best bet at defeating it, as it gets worn down very quickly. A great way to make Carracosta less threatening is to stop it from setting up Shell Smash by utilizing offensive pressure or Taunt.</p>

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Working over this amcheck

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

<p>Carracosta is one of the best setup sweepers in the tier, as it can set up on many offensive Pokemon and tank super effective hits thanks to its ability, Solid Rock. Carracosta has a great offensive typing and powerful STAB options, [delete comma] nah that comma's fine! which make it very difficult to defeat if it sets up Shell Smash. However, aside from being an offensive sweeper, Carracosta can also run a tank set with Stealth Rock. Carracosta's awful Speed stat might be the only thing holding it back, but having access to Aqua Jet mitigates that weakness somewhat. After Carracosta sets up a Shell Smash, it can be really devastating and game-changing, which is why it's such a good sweeper.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With its great bulk in unison with Solid Rock, Carracosta can set up Shell Smash on a variety of Pokemon, including Kangaskhan, Tauros, Swellow, and Sawk, (AC) and Primeape, (AC) that are not locked into Close Combat. Once Carracosta has set up, it can completely flip the outcome of the game. After a Shell Smash boost, Carracosta can 2HKO Alomomola and OHKO Audino, Braviary, Kangaskhan, and Lickilicky. It should be noted, [delete comma] this comma's a-ok however, that Carracosta cannot switch into Kangaskhan to set up. Waterfall and Stone Edge are Carracosta's STAB moves, hitting the majority of the tier for at least neutral damage. Aqua Jet is Carracosta's STAB priority move, revenge killing weakened threats and Choice Scarf users.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Solid Rock is what permits Carracosta to set up on many Pokemon, as it weakens super effective attacks for Carracosta. The EV spread with an Adamant nature allows Carracosta to outspeed neutral base 98 Speed Pokemon, such as Swanna and Basculin, after a Shell Smash boost. However, a Jolly nature can be used to allow Carracosta to outspeed base 113 Pokemon and below, such as Serperior, at once it's at +2. A Lum Berry and Sturdy combination is an option to guarantee Carracosta sets up Shell Smash at full HP. A Liechi Berry with Sturdy combination is also plausible, with the main advantage being having similar power to Life Orb, minus the recoil. However, it is harder to pull off successfully. Rock Slide can replace Stone Edge for better accuracy, but the loss in power is noticeable. Likewise, Aqua Tail can be used over Waterfall as a slightly stronger STAB move, but the decrease in accuracy can hinder Carracosta. Hidden Power Grass can hit Seismitoad and Alomomola harder and more reliably than Carracosta's other moves, but it would have to give up Waterfall and have a Naughty nature to make the most of it.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set takes advantage of Carracosta's defensive prowess with Soild Rock. Carracosta has great potential as a tank, as it can take a hit and deliver one back without excessive difficulty. Stealth Rock can be set up to weaken Flying- and Bug-type Pokemon in the tier, [either "to weaken the many Flying- and Bug-type Pokemon in the tier," or just "to weaken Flying- and Bug-type Pokemon,"] no real problem here making Carracosta a great supporter to the team. Waterfall and Stone Edge are Carracosta's STAB moves, which boasts great coverage against the majority of the tier. Aqua Jet patches up Carracosta's horrid Speed stat, which can hinder it at times. However, Toxic Toxic however holds that surprise factor, crippling walls such as Tangela, Alomomola, and Seismitoad that Carracosta would have trouble defeating otherwise.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Carracosta has no reliable recovery for HP or from status conditions, so Heal Bell and/or Wish users are great allies. Alomomola, Flareon, and Vileplume are good options to consider. Seismitoad and Samurott are both notable threats to Carracosta, but Serperior and Ludicolo can KO both of them. As Carracosta's main goal is to get Stealth Rock on the field, sweepers that appreciate entry hazard support, such as Pinsir and Ludicolo, are good partners. As Carracosta would wants to keep Stealth Rock on the field for its team, having spinblockers such as Misdreavus, who which can offer Heal Bell and Will-O-Wisp support, and Golurk, who which can serve as a backup Stealth Rock user, are good allies. Finally, LumRest Exeggutor, Charizard, and Gothorita all are great partners, as they can deal with Carracosta's counters in their own respective ways.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Carracosta is very versatile, so it has many other options to select from. A fully physically defensive spread with Solid Rock and a moveset consisting of Stealth Rock / Scald / Rock Slide / Toxic can hit hard and potentially burn opponents with Scald or cripple them opponent with Toxic. Additionally, an offensive Swift Swim set consisting of Waterfall / Stone Edge / Aqua Jet / Hidden Power Grass is great to consider if Carracosta is used on a rain team. Flail with a Leichi Berry and a Sturdy ability is an extremely situational tactic to OHKO Alomomola at +3 after Stealth Rock damage. Carracosta can use its Shell Smash to power up its specially offensive attacks, which does well against physical walls, but it's weaker than the physically attacking version. Mystic Water can be used to specifically power up Carracosta's Water-type attacks, but its other attacks are then noticeably weaker. A Choice Band set is plausible, as Carracosta has many other physical attacking moves to use, such as Earthquake, Superpower, Body Slam and Low Kick; however [delete comma] This is a good change it has the potential to lose too much momentum for the team.</p>

<p>Carracosta can utilize many other alternative attacking moves. Curse is great for increasing Carracosta's tanking prowess, and it can be used in the tank set to defeat SubBU Braviary much easier, but with Carracosta wielding no reliable sources of recovery, it isn't very effective. Ice Beam can hit Tangela harder, but unfortunately, (RC) that is all it really offers to Carracosta. Ice Icy Wind and Bulldoze are both situational moves that can lower the Speed of Carracosta's faster threats, but even so [delete comma] it is still quite slow. Carracosta can be a rain inducer with Damp Rock, but there are generally other Pokemon better suited for that role. Rest is Carracosta's only recovery source, but it leaves itself wide open during the two turns of sleep. Finally, Rock Polish can raise Carracosta's Speed without the defense drops, but unlike Shell Smash, Rock Polish does little to increase Carracosta's offensive presence.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Carracosta also has its fair share of checks. Choice Scarf Jynx outspeeds any variant of Carracosta, is immune to its Water-type attacks, and can OHKO Carracosta with Psychic. However, it Jynx cannot switch into or take a Stone Edge from Carracosta, and it can only OHKO Carracosta after a defensive drop from Shell Smash at -1. Sawk locked into Close Combat can severely weaken Carracosta as well, but it doesn't enjoy switching into any of Carracosta's attacks except for Stone Edge. Good checks to the tank set are Pokemon with Guts, as they do not mind being hit by Toxic at all; Gurdurr is a great example. Toxic Spikes will wear Carracosta down very easily, so Pokemon who that can set it up, such as Garbodor and Scolipede, are great checks. Even with Solid Rock, hitting Carracosta with consistently powerful attacks is your best bet at defeating it, as it gets worn down very quickly. A great way to make Carracosta less threatening is to stop it from setting up Shell Smash by utilizing offensive pressure or Taunt.</p>

2/2 but not stamping the amcheck cuz I didn't really agree with much

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)