Carracosta

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus

[Overview]

<p>Carracosta's appearance is telling of its capabilities: with 74 / 133 / 65 defenses and the rare Solid Rock ability, this turtle is an absolute fortress. Carracosta is also graced with one of the best boosting moves in the game: Shell Smash. Its dual Water- and Rock-type STAB combo has amazing neutral coverage in RU, to the point where extra coverage moves are not needed. With STAB priority in Aqua Jet to top it all off, Carracosta is a nearly unstoppable sweeper. However, low Speed holds Carracosta back somewhat; due to a maximum Speed of 358 after a Shell Smash, Sceptile and Choice Scarf users can outspeed and KO Carracosta, but Aqua Jet handles most frail foes with entry hazard support. Base 65 Special Defense is a little disappointing, and Carracosta must watch out for Grass-type attacks and powerful special attacks. Though underrated and slightly overlooked, this is a Pokemon with several strong points and very few flaws. Next time you want to add a Shell Smash sweeper to your team, you won't go wrong with Carracosta.</p>

[SET]
name: Shell Smash
move 1: Shell Smash
move 2: Waterfall
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Aqua Jet / Earthquake
item: White Herb / Splash Plate
ability: Solid Rock
nature: Jolly
evs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The first thing you'll notice about Carracosta when using this set is just how bulky it is; you really can't tell from looking at its stats. Carracosta is not a frail Pokemon, and with the help of its Solid Rock ability and White Herb, it can tank super effective hits that other sweepers could only dream of surviving. Aqua Jet gives Carracosta protection from faster threats, and can KO many frail Pokemon with entry hazard support, such as Aerodactyl, Moltres, Accelgor, and Absol. Stone Edge and Waterfall are an excellent STAB combo that has great neutral coverage, as the only Pokemon that resist both Rock- and Water-type moves in RU are Ferroseed and Poliwrath (and the rare Water Absorb Quagsire). Earthquake can be used in place of Aqua Jet to deal with Qwilfish, which resists Carracosta's Water-type STAB moves and cuts its Attack with Intimidate. Earthquake also scores a guaranteed OHKO on Lanturn, which can tank Stone Edge and deal huge amounts of damage to Carracosta with Thunderbolt.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>White Herb is the main item choice because of the defensive benefits it offers. Splash Plate is also a good option, as it powers up both Waterfall and Aqua Jet. A Splash Plate-boosted Aqua Jet can KO foes such as Galvantula, Accelgor, Swellow, and Gallade with entry hazard support. The Jolly nature and 240 Speed EVs allow Carracosta to outspeed Galvantula and Archeops after a Shell Smash, and the leftover EVs are added to HP to bolster defenses.</p>

<p>Sceptile causes problems for this set, as it can outspeed and KO Carracosta with any of its Grass-type attacks. Impressively, our turtle has a chance to KO the jungle lizard with Aqua Jet if it switches into Waterfall. This isn't the best strategy though, so packing a Swellow or Braviary is a good idea. Encore users, such as Wynaut and Clefable, can facilitate Carracosta's setup by locking a Pokemon into a move that it can set up on. Torterra resists Stone Edge and is bulky enough to tank Waterfall, so teammates that can deal with it, such as Braviary and Mesprit, can ensure that Carracosta sweeps without interruptions. Quagsire can wall this set to kingdom come, so carrying one of its checks, such as Rotom-C or Tangrowth, is required. Dual screens support makes Carracosta nearly unstoppable, and Uxie is a perfect candidate for providing them: it covers two of the turtle's weaknesses, and can also set up Stealth Rock.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Aqua Jet
move 4: Earthquake
item: Choice Band
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Carracosta can take advantage of its defensive capabilities and access to STAB priority with a Choice Band set. This Carracosta variant is bulky enough to survive almost any neutral hit and retaliate with a KO, and is a great check to threats such as Entei, Honchkrow, and Sharpedo. Aqua Jet has excellent utility on this set, and scores a super effective hit on opponents such as Aerodactyl, Entei, and Moltres. Earthquake is a reliable coverage move that can 2HKO Lanturn and Qwilfish (even after Intimidate).</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread gives Carracosta a rare balance of bulk and power, and enables it to switch into resisted hits with ease and unleash powerful attacks. Solid Rock is the ability of choice, as this Carracosta variant will be taking its fair share of hits. Paralysis support is amazing for this set, and allows Carracosta to outspeed and dispatch foes that could otherwise force it out, such as Galvantula, Sceptile, and Hitmonlee. Entry hazard support is also really useful, as the extra damage can score Carracosta some KOs on Pokemon such as Moltres (with Aqua Jet), Sigilyph, Slowking, and Rotom-C (with Stone Edge), and Bulk Up Gallade (with Waterfall). Torterra, however, can cause problems for this set, so a teammate that can deal with it, such as Braviary or Claydol, can be used. Bulky Pokemon such as Quagsire and Cofagrigus can wall Carracosta, so teaming the turtle with one of their checks, such as Rotom-C, Exeggutor, or Swellow, is recommended. Due to entry hazards and its low Speed, Carracosta can get worn down rather easily, so Wish support can be used to keep it in top form. Leafeon, Flareon, and Alomomola are all excellent Wish passers. Leafeon pairs well with Carracosta, as it resists Ground-, Electric-, and Grass-type moves and can cover these weaknesses for Carracosta, which resists Fire-, Flying-, Ice-, and Poison-type moves in return.</p>

[SET]
name: Mixed Shell Smash
move 2: Hydro Pump / Surf
move 4: Ice Beam
item: Life Orb / White Herb
nature: Naive
evs: 252 Atk / 16 SpA / 240 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Shell Smash boosts both offensive stats, so why not take advantage of it? Carracosta's Special Attack stat reaches 412 after a boost—not too shabby. With minimal investment, it can use special attacks to circumvent some of its checks, such as Tangrowth and Cofagrigus. Hydro Pump and Ice Beam are a great combination, and the latter scores a super effective hit on Grass-types such as Tangrowth and Torterra, as well as Altaria. This set focuses on eliminating Carracosta's usual checks and specialized wallbreaking, as without Aqua Jet, the turtle's middling Speed is a much bigger obstacle. Luring and dispatching Tangrowth is one of this set's biggest selling points, and it can support fast attackers and Choice Scarf users that might struggle with defensive foes, such as Hitmonchan and Sharpedo.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>16 Special Attack EVs allow Carracosta to achieve a few important KOs. Ice Beam OHKOes Tangrowth (without Life Orb) and Altaria (with Stealth Rock support). Hydro Pump can easily 2HKO Qwilfish, and has a chance to OHKO with Life Orb and Spikes support. Carracosta can KO Cofagrigus with a Life Orb-boosted Hydro Pump, and scores a guaranteed OHKO with Stealth Rock support. However, White Herb is still an option if you crave the sturdiness of the regular Shell Smash set. Surf can be used if you are not fond of Hydro Pump's accuracy, but without Life Orb's power boost, Carracosta might struggle with some foes.</p>

<p>As this set lacks Aqua Jet, priority and Choice Scarf users, such as Moltres and Manectric, can revenge kill it much more easily. Getting rid of these foes before attempting a sweep can help Carracosta, but a better form of support is dual screens. Claydol, Uxie, and even Rotom-C are good candidates for supplying dual screens, which can protect the blue turtle from a potential KO. Sceptile can outspeed and OHKO Carracosta with any of its Grass-type moves, so a teammate that can deal with it, such as Swellow or Choice Scarf Emboar, is recommended. Jolly Life Orb Cinccino outspeeds Carracosta and can KO with Bullet Seed, so you should pack a Pokemon that can pulverize it, such as Hitmonlee.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Sturdy can be used with Leftovers on the Shell Smash sets. Overall, it is inferior to Solid Rock, but Sturdy does have a few useful merits; if you can keep entry hazards off the field, Carracosta can function as an emergency stop to an opposing sweeper by enduring a hit with Sturdy and counterattacking, or even turn the tables by setting up a Shell Smash and sweeping the opponent. Hidden Power Fire can be used on the standard Shell Smash set to deal with Ferroseed. No EV or nature changes are needed; Hidden Power Fire 2HKOes with a Shell Smash boost.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>The easiest way to get rid of Carracosta is to exploit its 4x Grass-type weakness. Tangrowth is one of the best checks around, as it can comfortably tank any of Carracosta's physical attacks and KO with Giga Drain. Sceptile is equally problematic; clocking at base 120 Speed, the jungle lizard outpaces +2 Carracosta easily, and can threaten it with a powerful Leaf Storm. Priority won't save Carracosta either, as a +2 Aqua Jet only 3HKOes Sceptile. Rotom-C's most common set is a Choice Scarf user, and it also outruns Carracosta. Rotom-C commonly uses Trick and Will-O-Wisp, both of which can cripple Carracosta tremendously. Ferroseed is also notable, as it resists both Waterfall and Stone Edge and punishes Carracosta's attempts to harm it with its Iron Barbs ability. Qwilfish can dismantle Shell Smash variants with Intimidate, which will activate Carracosta's White Herb and waste it. Without its defenses restored after Shell Smash has been used, the turtle is much more vulnerable to the opponent's attacks. Cofagrigus can also do this with its Mummy ability; Waterfall and Aqua Jet are both contact moves, and Cofagrigus can switch into either and overwrite Solid Rock. However, Stone Edge hits much harder than both Water-type attacks, and doesn't activate Mummy.</p>

<p>Some Fighting-types can go toe-to-toe with Carracosta; Reckless Hitmonlee can OHKO with Hi Jump Kick, but cannot switch into any of its attacks. Hitmonchan can take a Stone Edge or Aqua Jet and threaten with Drain Punch, but can't manage a 2HKO with Mach Punch. Common Fighting-types such as Gallade and Hitmonchan can only 2HKO Carracosta with their main STAB move (usually Close Combat or Drain Punch), and are susceptible to a KO from Waterfall. At first glance, you'd assume that Carracosta has to watch out for priority, but the only Fighting-type priority move in the tier that has a chance to 2HKO is Adamant Iron Fist Hitmonchan's Choice Band-boosted Mach Punch. RU's top Sucker Punch users are much stronger; Honchkrow and Absol can both 2HKO Carracosta with said priority move.</p>

[Unreleased]

<p>Carracosta's Dream World ability is Swift Swim. This would be useful for patching up Carracosta's Speed, but losing Solid Rock would compromise its bulk, which is one of the turtle's best attributes.</p>

Coudln't a mixed set just be in the AC of the Shell Smasher? although i agree, it's highly effective. SS, Stone Edge, Hydro Pump, Aqua Jet?

November Blue

is a Contributor Alumnus
Ready for QC.

Should I add a mixed set? Is there a standard? I've never seen one before.

Any suggestions for the EVs of the Choice Band set? 252 Attack is obvious, but is a blend of HP and Def bulkier that straight 252 HP?

I'm reluctant to add a curse set. Carracosta has a lot of weaknesses to common and powerful attacks, and its Special Defense is meh. Outclassed by Choice Band IMO.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
I agree with your opinion on the Curse set, but you definitively need a mixed Shell Smash set, since it lures stuff like Tangrowth very well. Also, the Shell Smash set should look like this:

[SET]
move 2: Waterfall / Aqua Tail
ability: Sturdy
nature: Jolly / Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Earthquake only hits Lanturn and Ferroseed harder, and the later still stops it. Those slashes also allow Carracosta to abuse the Splash Plate better, since it now has both Waterfall and Aqua Jet. Life Orb should also be mentioned somewhere, but I'm afraid of putting it as an item, since there are two item slashed already.

I'm not sure about the Mixed set's EV spread, but the moves should be:

Also, with a positive nature, you need 240 speed EVs to outrun Pokemon with 110 base Speed, such as Tauros and Jumpluff. Use that as a reference.

November Blue

is a Contributor Alumnus
Okay, thanks Pearl.

Could you please explain your reasoning for the Shell Smash set's moves? I kinda understand why you removed Rock Slide; Stone Edge is the strongest move Carracosta has, and Waterfall flinches too.

But why some of the other changes? Does Aqua Tail score any specific KOes? I strongly disagree with removing Leftovers, its amazing with Sturdy.

Made the changes, thanks.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
Yeah, nevermind about Aqua Tail. I'm not sure about Leftovers though. White Herb is White Herb, and it's pretty much needed on a Pokemon with Shell Smash, and Splash Plate with Aqua Jet / Waterfall is even cooler than Splash Plate + only one of those moves. Besides that, Leftovers with your Defense and Special Defense lowered is a little bit counterprodutive.

Also, Sceptile is a cool check to this, since it outruns even +2 Carracosta.

November Blue

is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm looking into the mixed set's EV spread. Naive or Jolly?

Using this spread: 252 Atk / 16 SpA / 240 Spe

Naive Carracosta with Leftovers and a Smash deals 100.99% minimum to a 252 HP / 4 SpD Tangrowth,

Torterra is no problem, sure OHKO

Specially defensive Altaria: Naive Leftovers Carracosta deals a minimum of 93% Expert Belt easily secures the OHKO here.

Expert belt also guarantees a 2HKO on specially defensive Amoonguss. I'll test the spread tomorrow, and finalize.

November Blue

is a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, nevermind about Aqua Tail. I'm not sure about Leftovers though. White Herb is White Herb, and it's pretty much needed on a Pokemon with Shell Smash, and Splash Plate with Aqua Jet / Waterfall is even cooler than Splash Plate + only one of those moves. Besides that, Leftovers with your Defense and Special Defense lowered is a little bit counterprodutive.

Also, Sceptile is a cool check to this, since it outruns even +2 Carracosta.
I disagree. When I wrote Gorebyss I omitted White Herb entirely, as Gorebyss is offensively focused. While Carracosta is bulkier, it still has a lot of weaknesses to prevalent attacking types, and a little bit of extra bulk doesn't help (especially when compared to the other items). I'd like to mention White Herb in AC (or OO) but I think that Leftovers and splash Plate are far more important.

I use Leftovers on Carracosta to facilitate Sturdy. Tanking a hit is often the best way to Smash (I find), and having the health insurance really helps. I don't need to worry about Stealth Rock, or a turn of Leech Seed ect. It also gives Carracosta some health back after setup, which can be helpful.

If I'm giving up this safety net, it should be for more power IMO.

Argh, completely forgot about Sceptile!! Thanks!

white herb is extremely useful. Since carracosta is still a slow mofo even after a SS, it helps when taking attacks from pokemon that are naturally faster than you or that are scarfed. It goes without saying that it also helps avoid taking catastrophic damage from mach punch. I also find that solid rock is a better ability for carracosta than sturdy, since sturdy is really only useful in the lead position, especially in the hazard ridden RU metagame. Solid rock cuts the damage from physical moves like mach punch/drain punch and earthquake noticeably, and is more reliable midgame

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Solid Rock needs to be the main ability slash on all sets. Sturdy is ruined by entry hazards, and considering the fact that you aren't using this set early game, it's likely that they'll be up by the time Carracosta comes into play. White Herb + Solid Herb is a mean combination, since Carracosta becomes a pretty fast killing machine thats reasonably hard to take down. Even without White Herb, its still hard to take down since solid rock really makes a difference. The spread should be 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spe, since I don't think it outspeeds anything noteworthy with max speed evs at +2.

In fact, i'd make Solid Rock the one and only ability slash. Sturdy can get a mention in OO because, its really not that good.
Refer to the UU analysis for more information.

November Blue

is a Contributor Alumnus
Okay, changed to Sturdy, made the item White Herb / Splash Plate.

Mixed set should be finalized sometime tomorrow.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま

QC APPROVED 2/3

Life Orb / White Herb should be the items on the Mixed set, by the way.

May I nitpick that Stone Edge doesn't have a Flinch chance and Waterfall hits Torterra neutrally?

Oh, and I think you meant Sturdy instead of Solid Rock at OO.

November Blue

is a Contributor Alumnus
Don't worry Ningildo, I've got it under control.

Just need the go ahead on the EV spread, someone QC please? Shouldn't be a problem.

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]

<p>Carracosta's appearance is telling of its capabilities; with 74 / 133 / 65 defenses and the rare Solid Rock ability, this turtle is an absolute fortress. Carracosta is also graced with one of the best boosting moves in the game: Shell Smash. Its dual Water- and Rock-type STAB combo has amazing neutral coverage in RU, to the point where extra coverage moves are not needed. (Ferroseed and Poliwrath resists both STABs, so maybe reword this sentence?) With STAB priority in Aqua Jet to top it all off, Carracosta is a nearly unstoppable sweeper. However, low Speed holds it Carracosta back somewhat; due to a maximum Speed of 358 after a Shell Smash, Sceptile and Choice Scarf users can outspeed and check KO Carracosta, but Aqua Jet handles most frail foes with entry hazard support. Base 65 Special Defense is a little disappointing, and Carracosta must watch out for Grass-type moves attacks and powerful special attacks. Though underrated and slightly overlooked, this is a Pokemon with several strong points and very few flaws. Next time you want to add a Shell Smash sweeper to your team, make the right choice: Carracosta.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is a bulky sweeper with an offensive EV spread. The first thing you'll notice about Carracosta when using this set is just how bulky it is; you really can't tell from looking at its stats. Carracosta is not a frail Pokemon, and with the help of its Solid Rock ability and White Herb, it can tank super effective hits that other sweepers could only dream of surviving. Aqua Jet gives Carracosta protection from faster threats, and can KO many frail Pokemon with entry hazard support, such as Aerodactyl, Moltres, Accelgor, and Absol. Stone Edge and Waterfall are an excellent STAB combo that has great neutral coverage. The only Pokemon that resist both Rock- and Water-type moves in RU are Ferroseed and Poliwrath, and neither are very common. (Ferroseed was #19 in Febuary's usage stats, Poliwath #51, with Ferro and Poli going #10/#49 in 1200+ stats. So yea, they are pretty common) Earthquake can be used in place of Aqua Jet to deal with Qwilfish, who resists Carracosta's Water-type STAB moves and cuts its Attack with Intimidate. Earthquake also scores a guaranteed OHKO on Lanturn, who can tank Stone Edge and deal huge amounts of damage to Carracosta with Thunderbolt.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>White Herb is the main item choice because of the defensive benefits it offers. Splash Plate is also a good option, as it powers up both Waterfall and Aqua Jet. A Splash Plate-boosted Aqua Jet can KO foes such as Galvantula, Accelgor, Swellow, and Gallade with entry hazard support. The Jolly nature and 240 Speed EVs allow Carracosta to outspeed Galvantula and Archeops after a Shell Smash, and the leftover EVs are added to HP to bolster defenses.</p>

<p>Sceptile causes problems for this set, as it can outspeed and KO Carracosta with any of its Grass-type moves attacks. Impressively, our the turtle has a chance to KO the jungle lizard with Aqua Jet if it switches into Waterfall. (Thats cool, never though of Sceptile as a "jungle lizard" :P) This isn't the best strategy though, so packing a Swellow or Braviary is a good idea. Encore users, such as Wynaut and Cinccino, can facilitate Carracosta's setup by Encore-locking locking a non-threatening Pokemon into a move Carracosta can set up on. Torterra resists Stone Edge and is bulky enough to tank Waterfall, so teammates that can deal with it, such as Braviary and Mesprit, can ensure that Carracosta sweeps without interruptions. Quagsire can wall this set to kingdom come, so carrying one of its checks, such as Rotom-C or Tangrowth, is required. Dual screens support makes Carracosta nearly unstoppable, and Uxie is a perfect candidate for providing them: it covers two of the turtle's weaknesses, and can also set up Stealth Rock.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Carracosta can take advantage of its defensive capabilities and access to STAB priority with a Choice Band set. The EV spread gives it a rare balance of bulk and power, and is able to switch into resisted hits with ease and unleash powerful attacks. (Moved to AC) This Carracosta variant is bulky enough to survive almost any neutral hit and retaliate with a KO, and is a great check to threats such as Entei, Honchkrow, and Sharpedo. Aqua Jet has excellent utility on this set, and scores a super effective hit on opponents such as Aerodactyl, Entei, and Moltres. Earthquake is a reliable coverage move that can 2HKO Lanturn and Qwilfish (Even after Intimidate).</p> (Mention some important KO/2HKOs Waterfall and Stone Edge get. If they don't get any important KOs, at least mention them!)

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread gives it a rare balance of bulk and power, and is able to switch into resisted hits with ease and unleash powerful attacks. The EV spread and Adamant nature give Carracosta maximum power and bulk. Solid Rock is the ability of choice, as this Carracosta variant will be taking its fair share of hits. Paralysis support is amazing for this set, and allows Carracosta to outspeed and dispatch foes that could otherwise force it out, such as Galvantula, Sceptile, and Hitmonlee. Entry hazard support is also really useful, as the extra damage can score Carracosta some KOs, such as Moltres (with Aqua Jet), Sigilyph, Slowking, and Rotom-C (with Stone Edge), and Bulk Up Gallade (with Waterfall). Torterra, however, can cause problems for this set, so a teammate that can deal with it, such as Braviary or Claydol, can be used. Bulky Pokemon such as Quagsire and Cofagrigus can wall Carracosta, so teaming the turtle with one of their checks, such as Rotom-C, Exeggutor, or Swellow, is recommended. Due to entry hazards and its low Speed, Carracosta can get worn down rather easily, so Wish support can be used to keep it in top form. Leafeon, Flareon, and Alomomola are all excellent Wishpassers. Leafeon pairs well with Carracosta, as it resists Ground-, Electric-, and Grass-type moves and can cover these weaknesses for Carracosta, who resists Fire-, Flying-, Ice-, and Poison-type moves in return.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Shell Smash boosts both offensive stats, so why not take advantage of it? Carracosta's Special Attack stat reaches 412 after a boost—not too shabby. With minimal investment, it can use special attacks to circumvent some of its checks, such as Tangrowth and Cofagrigus. Hydro Pump and Ice Beam are a great combination, and the latter scores a super effective hit on Grass-types such as Tangrowth and Torterra, as well as Altaria. This set focuses on eliminating Carracosta's usual checks and specialized wallbreaking, as without Aqua Jet, the turtle's middling Speed is a much bigger obstacle. Luring and dispatching Tangrowth is one of this set's biggest selling points, and it can support fast attackers and Choice Scarf users that might struggle with defensive foes, such as Hitmonchan and Sharpedo.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>16 Special Attack EVs allow Carracosta to achieve a few important KOs. Ice Beam OHKOes Tangrowth (without Life Orb) and Altaria (with Stealth Rock support). Hydro Pump can easily 2HKO Qwilfish, and has a chance to OHKO with Life Orb and Spikes support. Carracosta can KO Cofagrigus with a Life Orb-boosted Hydro Pump, and scores a guaranteed OHKO with Stealth Rock support. However, White Herb is still an option if you crave the sturdiness of the regular Shell Smash set. Surf can be used if you are not fond of Hydro Pump's accuracy, but without Life Orb's power boost, Carracosta might struggle with some foes.</p>

<p>As this set lacks Aqua Jet, priority and Choice Scarf users, such as Moltres and Manectric, can revenge kill it much more easily. Getting rid of these foes before attempting a sweep can help Carracosta, but a better form of support is dual screens. Claydol, Uxie, and even Rotom-C are good candidates for supplying dual screens, which can protect the blue turtle from a potential KO. Sceptile can outspeed and OHKO Carracosta with any of its Grass-type moves, so a teammate that can deal with it, such as Swellow or Choice Scarf Emboar, is recommended. Jolly Life Orb Cinccino outspeeds Carracosta and can KO with Bullet Seed, so you should pack a Pokemon that can pulverize it, such as Hitmonlee.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Sturdy can be used with Leftovers on the Shell Smash sets. Overall, it is inferior to Solid Rock, but Sturdy does have a few useful merits; if you can keep entry hazards off the field, Carracosta can function as an emergency stop to an opposing sweeper by enduring a hit with Sturdy and counterattacking, or even turn the tables by setting up a Shell Smash and sweeping the opponent. Hidden Power Fire can be used on the standard Shell Smash set to deal with Ferroseed. No EV or nature changes are needed; Hidden Power Fire 2HKOes with a Shell Smash boost.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>The easiest way to get rid of Carracosta is to exploit its 4x Grass-type weakness. Tangrowth is one of the best checks around, as it can comfortably tank any of Carracosta's attacks and KO with Giga Drain. Sceptile is equally problematic; clocking at base 120 Speed, the jungle lizard outpaces +2 Carracosta easily, and can threaten it with a powerful Leaf Storm. Priority won't save Carracosta either, as a +2 Aqua Jet only 3HKOes Sceptile. Rotom-C's most common set is a Choice Scarf user, and it also outruns Carracosta. Rotom-C commonly uses Trick and Will-O-Wisp, both of which can cripple Carracosta tremendously. Ferroseed is also notable, as it resists both Waterfall and Stone Edge, and punishes Carracosta's attempts to harm it with its Iron Barbs ability. Qwilfish can dismantle Shell Smash variants with Intimidate, which will activate Carracosta's White Herb and waste it. Without its defenses restored after Shell Smash has been used, the turtle is much more vulnerable to attack to the opponent's attacks. Cofagrigus can also do this with its Mummy ability; Waterfall and Aqua Jet are both contact moves, and Cofagrigus can switch into either and overwrite Solid Rock. However, Stone Edge hits much harder than both Water-type attacks, and it doesn't activate Mummy. Stone Edge is both stronger than Waterfall and a non-contact move, and smart players will use it when faced with a Cofagrigus to avoid activating Mummy.</p>

<p>Some Fighting-types can go toe-to-toe with Carracosta; Reckless Hitmonlee can OHKO with Hi Jump Kick, but cannot switch into any of its attacks. Hitmonchan can take a Stone Edge or Aqua Jet and threaten with Drain Punch, but can't manage a 2HKO with Mach Punch. Common Fighting-types such as Gallade and Hitmonchan can only 2HKO Carracosta with their main STAB move (usually Close Combat or Drain Punch), and are susceptible to a KO from Waterfall. At first glance, you'd assume that Carracosta has to watch out for priority, but the only Fighting-type priority move in the tier that has a chance to 2HKO is Adamant Iron Fist Hitmonchan's Choice Band-boosted Mach Punch. RU's top Sucker Punch users are much stronger; Honchkrow and Absol can both 2HKO Carracosta with said priority move.</p>

[Unreleased]

<p>Carracosta's Dream World ability is Swift Swim. This would be useful for patching up Carracosta's Speed, but losing Solid Rock would compromise its bulk, which is one of the turtle's best attributes.</p>

yeah sure i'll check this too !_!

excellent excellent

[Overview]

<p>Carracosta's appearance is telling of its capabilities;: with 74 / 133 / 65 defenses and the rare Solid Rock ability, this turtle is an absolute fortress. Carracosta is also graced with one of the best boosting moves in the game: Shell Smash. Its dual Water- and Rock-type STAB combo has amazing neutral coverage in RU, to the point where extra coverage moves are not needed. With STAB priority in Aqua Jet to top it all off, Carracosta is a nearly unstoppable sweeper. However, low Speed holds Carracosta back somewhat; due to a maximum Speed of 358 after a Shell Smash, Sceptile and Choice Scarf users can outspeed and KO Carracosta, but Aqua Jet handles most frail foes with entry hazard support. Base 65 Special Defense is a little disappointing, and Carracosta must watch out for Grass-type attacks and powerful special attacks. Though underrated and slightly overlooked, this is a Pokemon with several strong points and very few flaws. Next time you want to add a Shell Smash sweeper to your team, make the right choice: Carracosta.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The first thing you'll notice about Carracosta when using this set is just how bulky it is; you really can't tell from looking at its stats. Carracosta is not a frail Pokemon, and with the help of its Solid Rock ability and White Herb, it can tank super effective hits that other sweepers could only dream of surviving. Aqua Jet gives Carracosta protection from faster threats, and can KO many frail Pokemon with entry hazard support, such as Aerodactyl, Moltres, Accelgor, and Absol. Stone Edge and Waterfall are an excellent STAB combo that has great neutral coverage. T, as the only Pokemon that resist both Rock- and Water-type moves in RU are Ferroseed and Poliwrath. Earthquake can be used in place of Aqua Jet to deal with Qwilfish, whoich resists Carracosta's Water-type STAB moves and cuts its Attack with Intimidate. Earthquake also scores a guaranteed OHKO on Lanturn, whoich can tank Stone Edge and deal huge amounts of damage to Carracosta with Thunderbolt.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Sceptile causes problems for this set, as it can outspeed and KO Carracosta with any of its Grass-type attacks. Impressively, our turtle has a chance to KO the jungle lizard with Aqua Jet if it switches into Waterfall. This isn't the best strategy though, so packing a Swellow or Braviary is a good idea. Encore users, such as Wynaut and Cinccino, can facilitate Carracosta's setup by locking a Pokemon into a move that it can set up on. Torterra resists Stone Edge and is bulky enough to tank Waterfall, so teammates that can deal with it, such as Braviary and Mesprit, can ensure that Carracosta sweeps without interruptions. Quagsire can wall this set to kingdom come, so carrying one of its checks, such as Rotom-C or Tangrowth, is required. Dual screens support makes Carracosta nearly unstoppable, and Uxie is a perfect candidate for providing them: it covers two of the turtle's weaknesses, and can also set up Stealth Rock.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Carracosta can take advantage of its defensive capabilities and access to STAB priority with a Choice Band set. This Carracosta variant is bulky enough to survive almost any neutral hit and retaliate with a KO, and is a great check to threats such as Entei, Honchkrow, and Sharpedo. Aqua Jet has excellent utility on this set, and scores a super effective hit on opponents such as Aerodactyl, Entei, and Moltres. Earthquake is a reliable coverage move that can 2HKO Lanturn and Qwilfish (Eeven after Intimidate).</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread gives itCarracosta a rare balance of bulk and power, and is ableenables it to switch into resisted hits with ease and unleash powerful attacks. Solid Rock is the ability of choice, as this Carracosta variant will be taking its fair share of hits. Paralysis support is amazing for this set, and allows Carracosta to outspeed and dispatch foes that could otherwise force it out, such as Galvantula, Sceptile, and Hitmonlee. Entry hazard support is also really useful, as the extra damage can score Carracosta some KOs, on Pokemon such as Moltres (with Aqua Jet), Sigilyph, Slowking, and Rotom-C (with Stone Edge), and Bulk Up Gallade (with Waterfall). Torterra, however, can cause problems for this set, so a teammate that can deal with it, such as Braviary or Claydol, can be used. Bulky Pokemon such as Quagsire and Cofagrigus can wall Carracosta, so teaming the turtle with one of their checks, such as Rotom-C, Exeggutor, or Swellow, is recommended. Due to entry hazards and its low Speed, Carracosta can get worn down rather easily, so Wish support can be used to keep it in top form. Leafeon, Flareon, and Alomomola are all excellent Wishpassers. Leafeon pairs well with Carracosta, as it resists Ground-, Electric-, and Grass-type moves and can cover these weaknesses for Carracosta, whoich resists Fire-, Flying-, Ice-, and Poison-type moves in return.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

[Other Options]

[Checks and Counters]

<p>The easiest way to get rid of Carracosta is to exploit its 4x Grass-type weakness. Tangrowth is one of the best checks around, as it can comfortably tank any of Carracosta's attacks and KO with Giga Drain. Sceptile is equally problematic; clocking at base 120 Speed, the jungle lizard outpaces +2 Carracosta easily, and can threaten it with a powerful Leaf Storm. Priority won't save Carracosta either, as a +2 Aqua Jet only 3HKOes Sceptile. Rotom-C's most common set is a Choice Scarf user, and it also outruns Carracosta. Rotom-C commonly uses Trick and Will-O-Wisp, both of which can cripple Carracosta tremendously. Ferroseed is also notable, as it resists both Waterfall and Stone Edge, and punishes Carracosta's attempts to harm it with its Iron Barbs ability. Qwilfish can dismantle Shell Smash variants with Intimidate, which will activate Carracosta's White Herb and waste it. Without its defenses restored after Shell Smash has been used, the turtle is much more vulnerable to the opponent's attacks. Cofagrigus can also do this with its Mummy ability; Waterfall and Aqua Jet are both contact moves, and Cofagrigus can switch into either and overwrite Solid Rock. However, Stone Edge hits much harder than both Water-type attacks, and doesn't activate Mummy.</p>

[Unreleased]

[Overview]

<p>Carracosta's appearance is telling of its capabilities: with 74 / 133 / 65 defenses and the rare Solid Rock ability, this turtle is an absolute fortress. Carracosta is also graced with one of the best boosting moves in the game: Shell Smash. Its dual Water- and Rock-type STAB combo has amazing neutral coverage in RU, to the point where extra coverage moves are not needed. With STAB priority in Aqua Jet to top it all off, Carracosta is a nearly unstoppable sweeper. However, low Speed holds Carracosta back somewhat; due to a maximum Speed of 358 after a Shell Smash, Sceptile and Choice Scarf users can outspeed and KO Carracosta, but Aqua Jet handles most frail foes with entry hazard support. Base 65 Special Defense is a little disappointing, and Carracosta must watch out for Grass-type attacks and powerful special attacks. Though underrated and slightly overlooked, this is a Pokemon with several strong points and very few flaws. Next time you want to add a Shell Smash sweeper to your team, make the right choice: Carracosta.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The first thing you'll notice about Carracosta when using this set is just how bulky it is; you really can't tell from looking at its stats. Carracosta is not a frail Pokemon, and with the help of its Solid Rock ability and White Herb, it can tank super effective hits that other sweepers could only dream of surviving. Aqua Jet gives Carracosta protection from faster threats, and can KO many frail Pokemon with entry hazard support, such as Aerodactyl, Moltres, Accelgor, and Absol. Stone Edge and Waterfall are an excellent STAB combo that has great neutral coverage, as the only Pokemon that resist both Rock- and Water-type moves in RU are Ferroseed and Poliwrath. Earthquake can be used in place of Aqua Jet to deal with Qwilfish, which resists Carracosta's Water-type STAB moves and cuts its Attack with Intimidate. Earthquake also scores a guaranteed OHKO on Lanturn, which can tank Stone Edge and deal huge amounts of damage to Carracosta with Thunderbolt.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Sceptile causes problems for this set, as it can outspeed and KO Carracosta with any of its Grass-type attacks. Impressively, our turtle has a chance to KO the jungle lizard with Aqua Jet if it switches into Waterfall. This isn't the best strategy though, so packing a Swellow or Braviary is a good idea. Encore users, such as Wynaut and Cinccino, can facilitate Carracosta's setup by locking a Pokemon into a move that it can set up on. Torterra resists Stone Edge and is bulky enough to tank Waterfall, so teammates that can deal with it, such as Braviary and Mesprit, can ensure that Carracosta sweeps without interruptions. Quagsire can wall this set to kingdom come, so carrying one of its checks, such as Rotom-C or Tangrowth, is required. Dual screens support makes Carracosta nearly unstoppable, and Uxie is a perfect candidate for providing them: it covers two of the turtle's weaknesses, and can also set up Stealth Rock.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Carracosta can take advantage of its defensive capabilities and access to STAB priority with a Choice Band set. This Carracosta variant is bulky enough to survive almost any neutral hit and retaliate with a KO, and is a great check to threats such as Entei, Honchkrow, and Sharpedo. Aqua Jet has excellent utility on this set, and scores a super effective hit on opponents such as Aerodactyl, Entei, and Moltres. Earthquake is a reliable coverage move that can 2HKO Lanturn and Qwilfish (even after Intimidate).</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread gives Carracosta a rare balance of bulk and power, and enables it to switch into resisted hits with ease and unleash powerful attacks. Solid Rock is the ability of choice, as this Carracosta variant will be taking its fair share of hits. Paralysis support is amazing for this set, and allows Carracosta to outspeed and dispatch foes that could otherwise force it out, such as Galvantula, Sceptile, and Hitmonlee. Entry hazard support is also really useful, as the extra damage can score Carracosta some KOs on Pokemon such as Moltres (with Aqua Jet), Sigilyph, Slowking, and Rotom-C (with Stone Edge), and Bulk Up Gallade (with Waterfall). Torterra, however, can cause problems for this set, so a teammate that can deal with it, such as Braviary or Claydol, can be used. Bulky Pokemon such as Quagsire and Cofagrigus can wall Carracosta, so teaming the turtle with one of their checks, such as Rotom-C, Exeggutor, or Swellow, is recommended. Due to entry hazards and its low Speed, Carracosta can get worn down rather easily, so Wish support can be used to keep it in top form. Leafeon, Flareon, and Alomomola are all excellent Wish passers. Leafeon pairs well with Carracosta, as it resists Ground-, Electric-, and Grass-type moves and can cover these weaknesses for Carracosta, which resists Fire-, Flying-, Ice-, and Poison-type moves in return.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

[Other Options]

[Checks and Counters]

<p>The easiest way to get rid of Carracosta is to exploit its 4x Grass-type weakness. Tangrowth is one of the best checks around, as it can comfortably tank any of Carracosta's attacks and KO with Giga Drain. Sceptile is equally problematic; clocking at base 120 Speed, the jungle lizard outpaces +2 Carracosta easily, and can threaten it with a powerful Leaf Storm. Priority won't save Carracosta either, as a +2 Aqua Jet only 3HKOes Sceptile. Rotom-C's most common set is a Choice Scarf user, and it also outruns Carracosta. Rotom-C commonly uses Trick and Will-O-Wisp, both of which can cripple Carracosta tremendously. Ferroseed is also notable, as it resists both Waterfall and Stone Edge and punishes Carracosta's attempts to harm it with its Iron Barbs ability. Qwilfish can dismantle Shell Smash variants with Intimidate, which will activate Carracosta's White Herb and waste it. Without its defenses restored after Shell Smash has been used, the turtle is much more vulnerable to the opponent's attacks. Cofagrigus can also do this with its Mummy ability; Waterfall and Aqua Jet are both contact moves, and Cofagrigus can switch into either and overwrite Solid Rock. However, Stone Edge hits much harder than both Water-type attacks, and doesn't activate Mummy.</p>

[Unreleased]

GP APPROVED 2/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)