CartoonLunatic's Portfolio in Development: trying to earn street cred

Howdy, gentlemen.

I've always been an art aficionado, and I just recently got into competitive battling by way of some of my friends. Imagine my surprise when I discovered Smogon's art forum.

I haven't had a lot of time to create new arts, what with real life being as demanding as ever, so the stuff I create are relatively bland save for a few that I invested some extended amounts of time in (e.g. stuff I created for friends). It is for this reason that I started some submissions for Smogon art competitions, but failed to complete them :(. Those will be coming when I do complete them.

This thread is relatively modest and will stay that way as I grapple with real life issues. It probably will be updated on a sporadic basis, and most of those will be me cleaning up my relatively messy thread.

About requests: I can take them, though I may have to chat with you to see if I can report back to you in a timely manner.

Nothing of note on my DeviantArt; you'll waste your time if you try to hunt me down there.

Anyways, enough babbling, onto my stuff.

By the way, I also go by the name CarToonatic. I probably should've chosen that name now that I think about it.

And, as always, feedback is welcome.
I do have a modest grasp on shading and lighting and whatnot, but most of my stuff omits that entirely because I'm lazy. I guess you can call me a cartoonist for the most part.

I do assimilate other games' art styles subconsciously, and I also draw inspiration from them sometimes. Games where this happens includes StarCraft II, Dead by Daylight, Infinity Blade, Battle Bears -1, and Plants vs. Zombies.
Some stuff I made in a non-digital format.
I will say I drew inspiration for this from StarCraft II. To clarify, in StarCraft II, there are three races, Protoss, Terran, and Zerg, who are in a battle with no end. I saw a similarity that there were three races in StarCraft II, and there were three playstyles in Pokémon (Balance, Stall, and Hyper Offense). Thus I cooked these up when I was bored one day.

I hope it's obvious enough, but the one on the left is Balance, the middle is HO, and the right is Stall. I tried to keep it simple and recognizable, and I chose the fighters that I felt best represented each playstyle. Likewise, Landorus-Therian seemed most suited for Balance, Mega Alakazam seemed most suited for Hyper Offense, and Chansey seemed most suited for Stall. Chansey has that I'm-gonna-consume-you-and-force-you-to-serve-the-Stall look because I have my own, less-than-enthused opinion on Stall.
My first Balanced, featuring Talonflame in place of Landorus-T.
I was feeling depressed for a few weeks, so I drew up a lava-y background and positioned random mons with dark colors in there. (Okay, maybe they weren't 100% random.) I only got around to doing 2 before real life once again demanded my attention.
Then almost like magic, after my depressed period, I had a cheerful period where I made two GIFs.

Got the idea from this artist (but I think I copied him/her too closely): http://x-squishystar-x.deviantart.com/. (No, I didn't plagiarize). I tried to adopt the same "squishy" idea while having the GIFs remain faithful to their original design, but I still feel as if I copied the artist too closely.
Some more stuff I decided to cook up that don't fit in elsewhere. Some images were too big, click on them to expand them.
Say what you wanna, criticize, praise, call me a copycat, point out my mistakes, whatever. CartoonLunatic signing out.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)