Casual Cup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this is not where it should be, can someone move this there? (Thanks in advance.)

I sometimes chat with a friend from Germany, & during 1 of our chat, she pointed out that she may quit pokemon for everyone being so competitive.
(people worrying about natures, IVs, EVs, etc.)

So I was wondering if a "Casual Cup" would be worth it...

I figure that there are more casual players than hardcore, & if a "Casual Cup" was made, it'd allow them to enjoy pokemon more, & some of them will eventually become hardcore, like us Smogonites.

What do you guys think?

So is the point to appeal to the people who don't know about the competitive aspects of pokemon, i.e., the people who have no idea what EVs/IVs are, or what natures do? if that's the case, might as well just take off all clauses except "legendaries clause" and call it a day, since those people will just make teams of the "cool" pokemon (filled with movesets like Blizzard/Thunder on TTar).

and then after some point where a competitive player comes and dominates everyone, it will become what Sprocket said.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
"Legendaries Clause" only limits most of Uber and some of OU. There's still a lot of dangerous Pokemon without them (Hell Garchomp is a non-legendary that's Uber).

How would you even define "casual cup"
Are natures randomly assigned? do EVs become random also? What about IV's?
I just cant see this working

"Legendaries Clause" only limits most of Uber and some of OU. There's still a lot of dangerous Pokemon without them (Hell Garchomp is a non-legendary that's Uber).
when my brother and his friends play pokemon, thats the only rule they play with since "legendaries are too strong". and that's the only clause most casual players go with, which is what my friends told me when we wanted to battle right after HG/SS came out too. sleep clause and sometimes evasion clause are the only other clauses they put in sometimes understandably, but for casual players they usually have the mindset "if it's in the game, anything goes".

It can't work. Worrying about natures, IVs, and EVs isn't really the competitive part of Pokemon anyway. If you don't want to worry about that stuff, play Shoddy or some other online simulator of Pokemon instead of Wi-Fi. You don't need to worry about IV's and Natures because you can just set it how you wish. On Wi-Fi that becomes a more "competitive" aspect of the game if you don't RNG and stay legit. But either way, a Casual Cup setting will just get raped by competitive players. What exactly is the point of a Casual Cup anyway? So people can suck and win?

This would be great if it would work. Competitive players could always come on and thrash everyone. There isn't really a way to restrict players from using EVs/IVs...if they were set randomly it could be a bit...unfair? I dunno...

I would like to add, it would be IMPOSSIBLE for a "Casual Cup" (by your definition) to exist on Shoddy. As you said, people worrying about IVs, EVs, and Natures makes it competitive, but the problem is... you need to imput those stats on Shoddy. Unless those variables were randomly assigned (which, by the way, makes it VERY luck based), it would be impossible to implement on Shoddy.

As for Wifi, most people who play on wifi play with the control of these exact same variables. This is due to the fact that Pokémon is still a "competitive" game, and many people play to win. People will take advantage of these things to win. If a person really want to play with other people who play "casually", they're better off playing PBR random wifi instead of challenging people on forums.

Now, it may seem like a good idea to make a Casual Cup for the less competitive players. The problem is... there is no definitive line between competitive and casual. Many people could argue against me here and state possible differences between the two, but there is no fine line. As such, it would be impossible to determine what (Pokémon-wise, not personality wise) would a casual player would play like. As stated several times in this topic, it CAN'T work.

tl;dr - if a person wants to avoid the competitiveness of most people who play on wifi or on Shoddy, try playing with people in your neighborhood. 8 times out of 10, they will be casual players.

I believe we call this 7 year old pokemon
This metagame will consist of noobs from Serebii, and will be dominated with real pokemon players
I dont know whats not fun about raising your own team properly and smashing things with it. Does your friend want to lose?
Anyway shouldnt this be in Suggestions Thread?

haunter

Banned deucer.
This thread is poorly presented and anyway this discussion doesn't belong here, Smogon is a "competitive Pokemon" community.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)