ORAS OU Cataclysmic Eclipse (Sun Offensive)

~ Chaotic. Mesmerizing. Wicked. It's The Beauty Of The Eclipse ~

..:: INTRODUCTION ::..
After experimenting many different kinds of playstyle, I notice there is a certain playstyle that is now underrated, neglected, and forgotten: Sun. People may argue that a team with Charizard-Y can easily be considered a Sun team, but I think differently as such attempt is half-hearted and does not represent the true power of the devastating weather back in Generation 5. My goal is to bring back the once-popular weather to the metagame and surprise people by how well it can perform in the current metagame.

The team also features a very solid core for Sun team: Venusaur and Mega Diancie. Again, people usually assume Sun team needs Charizard-Y but I don't concur. The core stands on its own very well, and its usefulness will be elaborated in this RMT.

With this team, I have a very easy run during the suspect ladder since most people are unprepared for it. The team reaches #15 with the point of 1634 in Suspect Ladder, and since I create this team during the Suspect test I haven't ventured through the non-suspect ladder but will update the record when I reach respectable rank. It does not contain Aegislash, so it is guaranteed to be usable in the non-suspect ladder.

I've also won the Tourney using the team and people are blown away by the presence of Sun team in the metagame. It's real fun, really!

..:: TEAM OVERVIEW ::..

..:: TEAMBUILDING PROCESS ::..
Building a Sun team means I need to have a Weather setter. There are 2 options: Sunny Day Klefki with Heat Rock, or just Ninetales. I find they are equally matched but I feel getting the Weather up without using Sunny Day is preferred. Moreover, Ninetales has the just-right support movesets against several threats that I choose Ninetales quite immediately.

This team runs on the offensive core of Venusaur and Mega Diancie, and the core is super amazing in Sun team. Plus, using Mega Diancie means I have less time worrying about Hazards which are deadly to any Sun team while Venusaur is basically a sweeping machine after all of its threats are taken care of, which Mega Diancie can pull off easily (Heatran and Talonflame notably). It's also a self-gimping if I choose Mega Charizard-Y for the Mega slot really due to the SR weakness and the inability to clear what Venusaur cannot sweep, also similar weakness to Ninetales somewhat.

Even though I have a Bouncer it still has somewhat a problem to certain Stealth Rocker such as Garchomp, Landorus-T and Ferrothorn which can predict and kill Mega Diancie on spot. Moreover, it is safer to have a Defogger so that I can breathe easier. In order to tackle with the Ground weakness and clear off Hazards, Latias is selected. Also, it has access to many toys that can benefit to the whole team better than its bro, Latios.

It's quite easy to spot how many things such as Cresselia (which is not so common) and Chansey (which, on the other hand, so common) can pose somewhat a threat to the team. Moreover, I haven't gotten any Stealth Rocker yet so it's best to combine the role. Bisharp wins the slot, due to the amazing typing that synergizes well with Mega Diancie, access to Stealth Rock, priority Sucker Punch and annoying Knock Off, also good against Lati@s which is also somewhat annoying too. Although this add another Ground weakness, Offense is a better defense and 2 Ground-immunity in the team will do.

So as I say, I need another Ground-immunity to add safety to the team. Noting that Venusaur will prefer the opponent team to be weakened, Dragonite earns a respectable place in the team. It has amazing Attack stat, priority, very powerful STAB and can kill most of Venusaur's threats. Again, Offense is a better defense, and even though the team has 3 Ground-weak and 3 Ice-weak Pokemon the rest can handle fairly well along with the Priority. With that, an offensive-oriented Sun team is born.

..:: DETAIL ::..

Ninetales @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sunny Day
- Hypnosis
Yes, people, Ninetales in OU just because of its niche Sun Setter. That's what I thought initially though. In some way, this Ninetales set fits the team nicely like a suit with its Support capability. Since it's best to keep Ninetales alive all the time, EVs are invested heavily to the HP. The EVs on Speed are enough to outspeed positive nature base 85 and below, as well as anything below neutral base 100 which is a lot. The EVs on DEF also allow Ninetales to outlive Earthquake from Dugtrio too, though it's not so common. IVs to minimize Foul Play damage, pretty straightforward.
  • Flamethrower is its only attacking STAB move, with an acceptable damage due to Sun boost and STAB and an okay SpA stat of Ninetales. Good thing is that it OHKOs what is needed such as Ferrothorn, Scizor and Bisharp or, to sum up, most Fire-weak stuffs.
  • Will-O-Wisp is here to weaken many switch-in, namely Mamoswine, Garchomp, Landorus-T, Tyranitar which are hurted badly because of the burn and many other things such as Keldeo, Rotom-W and so on. It is a good supporting move to cripple many stuffs that help the team in overall.
  • Sunny Day to pull off the Weather War against most stuffs, especially Politoed. It allows gaining superior weather momentum against the opponents which is a key to this team since Sun can be exploited so great by many partners.
  • Hypnosis makes people think I'm a bad player. Really, people underestimate Hypnosis so much, and it's surprising too since the so-called standard of sleep inducing moves now are Spore and Sleep Powder. The 60% accuracy makes it kinda bad, kinda risky a move, but I feel that it worths since a successful Hypnosis allows me to render many things such as Heatran or Latios useless. Making Heatran sleep is a very high reward, since it means I have an easier time crippling it through Mega Diancie or Dragonite. IT'S NOT SUCH A BAD MOVE PEOPLE!

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Protect / Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earth Power
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
Mega Diancie fits Sun so much it needs to steal the Mega slot in this team. Being a Bouncer, a pain to Heatran and many Dragon, a killing stone against almost every Flying Pokemon bar Skarmory and so on... The typing also fits with Venusaur too, and almost everything Venusaur cannot reach can be dealt with Mega Diancie. This deserves more recognition of how good she is, stat-wise and ability-wise.
  • Protect means a safe Mega Evolution for Diancie, and it also scout against many Choice user well enough. It also plays against mentality of players, such as Landorus-T/Landorus choosing to Stealth Rock instead after scaring Diancie with its Earthquake and BAM, or just destroying the Sturdy from Custap Skarmory after a turn of Protect, or so on. The predict game is strong, and it brings high reward too. An alternative will be Hidden Power [Fire] which works well against Ferrothorn and switch-in Scizor but since this team was created during the Suspect test I choose Protect to scout Aegislash easily.
  • Earth Power is here to kill the biggest threat, Heatran, as it often OHKOs Heatran easily. Other would be killing Excadrill or Mega Metagross with super-effective move, or something similar.
  • Moonblast is STAB, and a powerful one too since only Poison and Steel resist it and almost certain to OHKO anything Fairy-weak bar tanky Special Wall such as Goodra. It is good for spamming too when the opponent team is weakened severely due to Diancie's amazing Speed.
  • Diamond Stormp is also STAB, and still hits so hard even when not much EVs are invested to Atk. It is a guaranteed OHKO to Talonflame and Mega Pinsir which Venusaur hates, and most Flying, and Special Wall thinking of tanking Mega Diancie. It does hit somewhere around 32% - 39% to Chansey, meaning the damage is there and is noticeable.

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Growth
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Up till now, after seeing the team preview, many still think I use Mega Venusaur here or even worse, accusing me of using 2 Megas in a team (LOL!?). Venusaur is a reintroduced threat to, I don't know, anything that fail to resist any of its moves, namely Heatran. After a boost, it becomes deadly and a guaranteed win after its threats are taken care of. Setting up isn't hard too due to its amazing typing that gives a lot of important resistances and its good stats. Chlorophyll allows Venusaur to outspeed almost everything but Scarf Keldeo or Scarf Latios or something in that Speed Tier wearing Scarf. The EVs are fairly straightforward while the IVs are to minimize damage from Foul Play while allow Venusaur to run Hidden Power [Fire].
  • Growth in Sun means a free Swords Dance + Nasty Plot, though I only use the "Nasty Plot" part since I don't run Earthquake here. After a boost, it ventures through things with ease under Sun. The boosting move allows me to use Chansey as set-up fodder too, as long as it does not carry Thunder Wave.
  • Giga Drain is STAB, and it allows me to regain every recoil damage from Life Orb or others. It also allows Venusaur to pass Chansey since it heals tremendously from Chansey. Other than that, a very good sweeping move against most things after the boost.
  • Sludge Bomb is a more powerful STAB, and it deals great neutral damage to so many stuffs that after a boost it turns into an OHKO. Also very good against stuff like Calm Mind Clefable and many Specially-defensive Fairy. A more powerful sweeping move against stuffs.
  • Hidden Power [Fire] after a boost under Sun allows it to OHKO even Specially-defensive Aegislash-Shield. It kills off any Steels BUT Heatran (main reason why Heatran is a threat since it walls everything from Venusaur). Not so recommended as sweeping move, but a very very decent coverage move for Venusaur to exploit Sun.

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Healing Wish
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]
So people say Latias is just a good ally for Sun back in Generation 5, and they are still right. Latias has good synergy with the team, being able to discourage Landorus-T and Garchomp from Earthquake and hit hard in return. It is also a Defogger so my team is less afraid of Hazards. Again, the EVs are straightforward while the IVs to minimize Foul Play damage, just to be safe.
  • Draco Meteor is a very powerful STAB that hits most things hard enough, and thanks to the Life Orb boost it is even stronger too. Mainly for weakening stuffs so that its partner has a more easy time dealing with the opponent.
  • Hidden Power [Fire] is great, especially when Sun is up since it helps me nail an OHKO to Ferrothorn, Scizor, Metagross or Bisharp which switch into Latias so many times. It does have a disadvantage of lowering the EVs speed making it lose to positive 31 IVs counterparts like Lati@s and Gengar, but it worths. Besides, running Psyshock is an option but most things that are afraid to Psyshock can be dealt with easily by the rest of the team, so abusing the weather is preferred.
  • Defog helps a lot to the team as it reduces the liability of Mega Diancie as a bouncer and protect the field even when Diancie is down. Since it already has something to deal with Bisharp switch-in, it shouldn't be a problem Defogging and hitting Bisharp most of the time.
  • Healing Wish works so well here, since I have Mega Diancie which can be weakened over time, and Mega Venusaur/Bisharp which is weakened too by Life Orb, or Dragonite losing the Multiscale, or simply to prolong the survival of Ninetales . Depending on the situation should Latias be sac for the benefit of others, and it is a golden sacrifice most of the time to be honest.

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
Bisharp may add Ground-weakness to the team, but its damage output and its role as a Stealth Rocker make me ignore the aforementioned fact. It also helps me deal with Cresselia and Chansey and Lati@s easier too, and overall it is a very good Pokemon for the team especially during the Aegislash era. I choose Life Orb and Adamant nature to fully maximize Bisharp's offensive power. Its typing also works well with Mega Diancie too.
  • Stealth Rock is kinda unexpected for Bisharp, but it is necessary nevertheless since it finds many opportunity to set up. Moreover, having SR up means I have less time worrying about many Rock-weak stuff like Dragonite and Talonflame and Tornadus-T. Since Bisharp has Defiant it also discourage Defogger especially in front of Bisharp.
  • Knock Off is amazing as a spamming move as well as an annoying move against Offensive and Stall team alike, knocking Lefties, LO, Choice items, ... bar Mega Stones. It is STAB, and its damage output is quite good especially when there is a hold item.
  • Sucker Punch is a priority STAB, and a strong one too so it really puts the opponent in the agony of the mind-game (Substitute, or just kill). Most of the time it is able to weaken threats for its partner to kill, namely Mega Venusaur and/or Dragonite.
  • Iron Head is a STAB that has wide coverage and hurts so badly against Fairy. A stronger and more recommended spamming move than Knock Off unless the opponent is resisted against Steel.

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- ExtremeSpeed
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake/Superpower
Why people stop using Dragonite, I don't even understand. Dragonite is great, having great stat, great Ability, and strong Priority and very strong-cute complexity. It synergizes well with Bisharp too, and Diancie similarly, and it helps denting a huge wall to the opponent team for Venusaur to sweep. Well, I still expect its usage to be somewhere around #10... The EVs and Nature to maximize Choice Band capability, giving it a very strong ExtremeSpeed and a super strong Outrage to dent so many things.
  • Outrage is a solid STAB, spammable, and freaking scary when the opponent has no Fairy or Steel Pokemon left. With Multiscale, it actually has an easier time to revenge kill and just so easy to hit badly.
  • ExtremeSpeed is damn useful even when it's not STAB. With the Band and Adamant nature, this +2 Priority move can 2HKO most things, or even OHKO weakened stuff with ease. It's Normal Type so the coverage is great too since only Steel and Ghost and Rock type can wall it, which again synergizes well with Bisharp.
  • Fire Punch: Fun fact, it can 2HKO and sometimes OHKO Skarmory after SR under Sun. Another fun fact: it hits hardly against many of its wall such as Ferrothorn and Scizor. Under Sun, it is a good-to-abuse move and a decent coverage move for the BandNite.
  • Earthquake or Superpower fits the last slot, though I prefer Earthquake as it is more spammable against Fairy as well but Superpower allows me to hit Air Balloon Heatran or guaranteed OHKO to Tyranitar. It is a filler move against its common threat, and between Earthquake and Superpower it's just based on current preference since each has its own merit.

..:: CONCLUSION ::..
I have great success with this team, and currently I am fighting for high ranking in the non-suspect OU ladder too. It's an exciting experience, and Sun team really deserves more spotlight in the current Metagame. The team is very offensive-oriented with good synergy altogether, and I'm very proud of it. However, it is of course not perfect and definitely appreciates any improvements from everybody.

..:: IMPORTABLE ::..
Ninetales @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sunny Day
- Hypnosis

Venusaur @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Growth
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Protect
- Earth Power
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Healing Wish
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- ExtremeSpeed
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Last edited:
Very cool team. I actually have had some pretty good success with Hypnosis on Ninetails on a Mega-Houndoom sun team I made and got the same reaction of people assuming I didn't know how to play xD

Alkov

plopping
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hi there, really cool team you got there with good typing synergy but you might want to consider trying out this spread for Venusaur instead:
EVs: 72 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Timid Nature

The given spread allows Venusaur to outspeed Choice Scarf users like Latios/Keldeo while still having power from Life Orb and 252SpA. The 72HP also allows it to have a "Life Orb number" for it's HP as it ends with a 9 so that you can have the most hits out of it's recoil.
Venusaur (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 76 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Growth

Another suggestion to the team would be to have a better Bisharp/Weavile switch in of your own. The first thing that came to my mind would be a Cobalion to replace Bisharp as it can help provide SR support while still checking aforementioned 2 Pokemons. With Stealth Rock and Volt Switch, Cobalion can help to grab momentum for your team while still providing defensive utility which your team really lack.

Last edited:
Hi there, really cool team you got there with good typing synergy but you might want to consider trying out this spread for Venusaur instead:
EVs: 72 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Timid Nature

The given spread allows Venusaur to outspeed Choice Scarf users like Latios/Keldeo while still having power from Life Orb and 252SpA. The 72HP also allows it to have a "Life Orb number" for it's HP as it ends with a 9 so that you can have the most hits out of it's recoil.
Venusaur (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 76 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Growth

Another suggestion to the team would be to have a better Bisharp/Weavile switch in of your own. The first thing that came to my mind would be a Cobalion to replace Bisharp as it can help provide SR support while still checking aforementioned 2 Pokemons. With Stealth Rock and Volt Switch, Cobalion can help to grab momentum for your team while still providing defensive utility which your team really lack.
Thanks for the suggestion! :D I will definitely give it a try for Venusaur set and Cobalion over Bisharp, although less priority from Bisharp can be problematic and Bisharp/Weavile can definitely be played around.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)