Doubles CB Zygarde (QC 1/1) (GP 1/1)

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
Zygarde @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 64 HP / 240 Atk / 28 SpD / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Superpower
- Stomping Tantrum / Thousand Waves / Dragon Tail

Recently surging in prominence, Choice Band Zygarde has excelled in breaking down opposing teams in the DOU metagame. While Zygarde's other known set, Dragon Dance, is about trying to win games by setting up, Choice Band Zygarde is all about softening up opposing squads, Thousand Arrows shining because virtually nothing resists it in the metagame outside of Tapu Bulu; this set is effective in dealing notable chip damage to foes in the early- to mid-game, which can be useful for picking off threats, breaking through them, or sweeping with teammates later on. This set also has an assortment of situational moves, but note that being locked into a move that's not Thousand Arrows can cause you to lose momentum. With the support of Tailwind, Zygarde can become a dangerous threat that can end games by cleaning through weakened teams, making Pokemon that can set it such as Zapdos and Mega Salamence nifty to have. Teaming Zygarde with Volt Switch or U-turn users such as Mega Manectric, Landorus-T, and Tapu Koko is also recommended, as they can get Zygarde into a favorable position to fire off Thousand Arrows. Like all physical attackers in DOU, answers to Landorus-T such as Tapu Fini, Kyurem-B, and Ice Punch Mega Metagross are generally appreciated.

The featured spread survives Timid Tapu Lele's unboosted Moonblast, makes Ice Punch-less Mega Metagross 3HKO with its main STAB attacks, and outruns Modest Kingdra out of rain. Dragon Tail is an option over either secondary Ground move for stopping Trick Room setters, shuffling them out before they set it.

Want to see Choice Band Zygarde in action? Watch this SPL Week 3 DOU match where it's used by MajorBowman against marilli:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7doublesou-344281

Last edited:
This looks good to me, just a couple notes. Stomping Tantrum > Thousand Waves, the number of times you really want to be locked into waves is super small versus the times you want to evade wide guard or pick up a specific KO with single target damage. Not sure if theres room to mention it but its worth noting that its dangerous to lock into moves that are not Thousand Arrows just because of how weak they are even with a Choice Band.

GenOne

DOU main. GMT-7. PS!: GenOne
is a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
QC 1/1 pending the below:
  • Implement miltankmilk's note about generally wanting to avoid locking into attacks *not* named "Thousand Arrows"
  • (optional) Add Stomping Tantrum into the fourth slot if you want, but you don't have to. Aegislash is really the only thing you're hitting with this, and the single-target damage you get from Stomping Tantrum is pretty negligible (75 BP at one target, versus the equivalent of 67.5 BP at two targets). Thousand Waves is pretty niche too, but trapping is very useful in the right situation. Honestly, the fourth slot could be anything you want since Zygarde's really only usually clicking one of the first three moves.
  • It'd be nice to have a quick mention about why people are starting to use this set over the Dragon Dance set that was popular before (DD takes a turn to set up, whereas CB gives immediate power, etc.)
  • Maybe just add a quick mention that Zygarde is a great partner for allies that want Fire-types removed (Scizor especially)

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
Gonna do the above. I also had a brief explanation of DD vs CB but I've already been pushing the recommended word count already so I decided to cut my losses there. I suppose I can try to fit it in again I suppose. I dont think a mention of teammates that want fires removed is as necesarry; Volcanion can tank Im p sure and most of the "Fire-types" in the metagame are fake ones that carry fire-type coverage so it's not specifically helping much either way

GenOne

DOU main. GMT-7. PS!: GenOne
is a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Gonna do the above. I also had a brief explanation of DD vs CB but I've already been pushing the recommended word count already so I decided to cut my losses there. I suppose I can try to fit it in again I suppose. I dont think a mention of teammates that want fires removed is as necesarry; Volcanion can tank Im p sure and most of the "Fire-types" in the metagame are fake ones that carry fire-type coverage so it's not specifically helping much either way
Fair comments about fire-types. Looks good as you have it now.

lotiasite

undedgy
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Zygarde @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 64 HP / 240 Atk / 28 SpD / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Superpower
- Stomping Tantrum / Thousand Waves / Dragon Tail

Recently surging in prominence, Choice Band Zygarde has excelled in breaking down opposing teams in the DOU metagame. While Zygarde's other known set, Dragon Dance, is about trying to win games by setting up, Choice Band Zygarde is all about softening up opposing squads, Thousand Arrows shining as it has virtually no resists because virtually nothing resists it (resists cant be used as a noun) in the metagame outside of Tapu Bulu; this set is effective in dealing notable chip damage to foes in the early- to mid-game, which can be useful for picking off threats, breaking through them, or sweeping with teammates later on. This set also has an assortment of situational moves, but note that it's generally momentum-losing to be locked into a move that's not Thousand Arrows being locked into a move that's not Thousand Arrows can cause you to lose momentum (awkward sounding sentence structure). With the support of Tailwind, Zygarde can become a dangerous threat that can end games by cleaning through weakened teams, making Pokemon that can set it such as Zapdos and Mega Salamence nifty to have. Teaming Zygarde with Volt Switch or U-turn users such as Mega Manectric, Landorus-T, (AC) and Tapu Koko are is also recommended, (AC) as they can get Zygarde into a favorable position to fire off Thousand Arrows. Like all physical attackers in DOU, answers to Landorus-T such as Tapu Fini, Kyurem-B, and Ice Punch Mega (consistency) Metagross are generally appreciated.

The featured spread lives survives Timid Tapu Lele's unboosted Moonblast, (AC) and makes Ice Punch-less Mega Metagross 3HKO with its main STAB attacks, and it also outruns Modest Kingdra out of rain. Dragon Tail is an option over either secondary Ground move for stopping Trick Room setters, shuffling them out before they set it.

Want to see Choice Band Zygarde in action? Watch this SPL Week 3 DOU match where it's used by MajorBowman against marilli:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7doublesou-344281

very nicely written. it seems a bit long, but all the information is good so not removing anything. gp 1/1

Idyll

xD
RBTT Champion
implemented, also yeah it's a bit too long and that's honestly mb :l ill try to be more concise the next go around

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)