Move 1: Baton Pass
Move 2: Swords Dance
Move 3: Seed Bomb
Move 4: Recover / Substitute / Zen Headbutt
EVS: 252 HP / 80 Atk / 176 Spe
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Jolly

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Celebi's defenses are such that it can almost always survive one attack, even a super effective one. This allows it an almost guaranteed Swords Dance, or two if it can force a switch, and Baton Pass away from anything with 306 Speed or less without taking another hit.</p>

<p>Its two STAB moves, Seed Bomb and Zen Headbutt, come as a much welcome addition in Platinum. The former is recommended here because nothing is immune to it, though Zen Headbutt may be used as well if you wish to take advantage of its flinch rate, and don't mind losing Recover. With 80 EVs in attack, Seed Bomb has a 87% chance of OHKOing max HP Tyranitar after a Swords Dance if it switches into Stealth Rock. If you have other ways of dealing with Tyranitar and would rather just Baton Pass out against it, you may shift those EVs to one of your defenses instead.</p>

<p>In addition to Attack boosts, Celebi is also well-suited to passing Substitutes, either to scout an opponent's switch and bring in an appropriate counter unharmed, or as part of a Baton Passing chain.</p>

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
<p>The two STAB moves, Seed Bomb and Zen Headbutt, come as a much welcome addition in Platinum. The latter is recommended here for its 20% chance of flinch, though Seed Bomb may be used as well to hit Dark-types if you wish to forgo Recovery.</p>
Didn't like "the latter" twice, especially since it was actually wrong.

super-effective should be super effective.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What is a "good change" to OHKO Tyranitar? Are we talking 50% chance against 252 HP or what exactly. If it's not guaranteed I want to know if I should actually bother :/

I really would put Seed Bomb as move 3 considering Grass has no immunities. The comments also act as if Recover is the first option when your set has the attacking move first. Which is it?

edit: Caelum, it's a 2.56% chance without Stealth Rock and 87.18% with it with 80 Atk Jolly vs. 252 HP Tyranitar

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, I was thinking of Seed Bomb taking slot three, but when using ia Grass-type attack on Celebi the majority of the time in the past, it was mainly used for hurting Garchomp, which obviously doesn't matter anymore (and Zen Headbutt is just as good now). The no immunties argument could probably clinch it though.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
True. A 20% flinch rate really isn't doing anything for a set whose primary purpose is to Baton Pass, anyways. Zen Headbutt is a lesser option, because Recover actually stands a chance of helping you get off an extra boost, or perhaps use it to pass more than once.

Considering that Tyranitar utterly rapes you with a sole Psychic attack, I would not suggest it. List it like this:

[SET]
Name: Physical Baton Pass
Move 1: Baton Pass
Move 2: Swords Dance
Move 3: Seed Bomb
Move 4: Recover / Zen Headbutt

Syberia

[custom user title]
Seed Bomb has about a 75% chance to OHKO Tyranitar after SR with those EVs, doing 86% minimum.

Sorry to post so much in this topic, but I noticed the sentences, "With 80 EVs in attack, Seed Bomb has a 75% chance of OHKOing max HP Tyranitar after a Swords Dance if it switches into Stealth Rock. If you have other ways of dealing with Tyranitar and would rather just Baton Pass out against it, you may shift those EVs to one of your defenses instead." If you're going to recommend the 80 Atk spread as better, use that spread in the set itself, also.

What calculator gave you 75%? I got 87.18% with http://ownpurpose.com/libelldra/damage_calculator.html

Edits: MetalKid's is imperfect. Use the one I linked to ^_^

Syberia

[custom user title]
I used MetalKid's, because I know of no other :(

87% is probably correct.

I swear I edited the OP to say 80 Atk already, must not have clicked save @_@

maddog

is a master debater
is a Contributor Alumnus
Substitute should be an option in move 4 as something else to pass, and the fact that it hits 101 HP Subs is pretty nice, espically for a baton pass team.

Syberia

[custom user title]
Added. 101 HP subs don't really matter, as Blissey is the only thing that runs Seismic Toss with any regularity, and they almost all run Flamethrower or Ice Beam as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)