Challenge Cup: Three Dragons and a Bird: My First Warstory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello and welcome to my first ever warstory! I plan on doing more on the future but I don't have a good team yet so I've settled for this tense and fun Challenge Cup battle between myself, Valo, and gravitytea on Pokemon Online. Props to him for being an amusing and challenging opponent. This battle came about randomly; he just challenged me out of the blue, if my memory serves me correctly. This was a straight-up rated Challenge Cup battle, with no other clauses.

So here are the teams (mine first), obviously they were picked at random. I don't remember moves that weren't used or items, so I've done what I can.

VS

And so the battle begins!​

gravitytea sent out Cleffa!
Valo sent out Eelektross!

100%
VS
100%

So my opponent gets Cleffa to begin with, whilst I get Eelektross. Initially, I am pleased that I got a Pokemon that has no weaknesses and sees some use in competitive play. Then I saw his moveset. To make matters worse, gravitytea seemed please that he had a Cleffa. Great. This always happens in Challenge Cup. You get good Pokemon with terrible movesets. I know that he won't be able to do much damage to me, though, so I aim to whittle him down with Acid Bomb, which lowers his Special Defence every time without fail.

TURN 1
Eelektross used Acid Bomb!
The foe's Cleffa lost 9% of its health!
The foe's Cleffa's Sp. Def. sharply fell!

The foe's Cleffa used Grass Knot!
Eelektross lost 36 HP! (16% of its health)

Eelektross 84%
VS
Cleffa 91% (Sp.Def -2)

Shibi attacks first as expected but Acid Bomb does even less than I had thought. Still, a few more should take this thing out, as my opponent chose Grass Knot as his best option and that only did 16%. I don't have any other options to take advantage of his special defence loss so I'm going to have to resort to Acid Bomb spam.

Turn 2
The foe's Cleffa lost 17% of its health!

The foe's Cleffa used Rollout!
A critical hit!
Eelektross lost 27 HP! (12% of its health)

Turn 3
The foe's Cleffa lost 25% of its health!

The foe's Cleffa used Rollout!
The attack of the foe's Cleffa missed!

Turn 4
A critical hit!
The foe's Cleffa lost 46% of its health!
The foe's Cleffa fainted!

VALO 6-5 GRAVITYTEA

I skipped those turns because as I mentioned, I just spammed Acid Bomb. Cleffa resorts to Rollout, trying to build up damage on me gradually like I did to him. The first one gets a crit, but I was not worried unless he got another one. But in fact he misses the second Rollout, meaning there is no way he can KO me unless he has some ultra-powerful move that for some reason he hadn't used yet. I calculate that two more Acid Bombs will prove to be overkill and that will give me the advantage in this battle. I get revenge for his earlier critical hit with one of my own, saving me a small extra portion of health for the battle against whoever he sends out next. And so Eelektross draws first blood.

gravitytea sent out Gothorita!

72%
VS
100%

He chooses to send out Gothorita, the psychic type middle-evo of Gothitelle's line. This leads me to believe one of two things, either a) he thinks I am banded or scarfed, and knows that Acid Bomb will barely scrape him, or b) he has a good moveset that he thinks can beat me. I'm hoping a), because it'll be a surprise for him when he sees what move I use. I then look back over my moves, and ruling out Acid Bomb, I only really have one option left.

Turn 5
The foe's Gothorita used Substitute!
The foe's Gothorita made a substitute!

Eelektross used U-turn!
It's super effective!
The foe's Gothorita's substitute faded!

Eelektross 72%
VS
Gothorita 75%

This move only confuses me more. He used Substitute, meaning he may have been scouting to see if I was in fact locked into a move. But then again, he may be certain I will use Acid Bomb again and is setting up a sub to make it harder to take down whilst it hits me hard. Whichever it was or something else, he now knows that I am not choiced. I use U-turn to scout out what he would use, and also do a fair bit of damage, being super effective and all. However, he is faster and I can only break his sub, leaving me to switch something in on a 75% health Gothorita.

Valo called Eelektross back!
Valo sent out Deino!

100%
VS
75%

I bring in Deino, who as a dark type will not take any damage at all from its opponent's STABs whilst returning STAB super effective moves back at it. There is the off chance that he has Focus Blast or HP Fighting or something else that will be dangerous, but I know that it is unlikely. I go straight in and try to break his sub, knowing that I have a better moveset at my disposal then I did with Eelektross.

Turn 6
Deino used Assurance!
It's super effective!
The foe's Gothorita lost 68% of its health!

The foe's Gothorita hasn't enough energy left!

Deino 100%
VS
Gothorita 7%

I am now lead to believe that he is choiced, and he didn't realize it when using Substitute for the first time. Gothorita may have a higher base speed, but Deino is at a higher level and you never know the abilities/evs, so you can't just assume you are faster. Assurance does a lot of damage and factoring in the successful Sub earlier, Gothorita is left with a slither of health left. I don't have any set-up moves per se, but I do have Substitute. Using it will either confirm that he is choiced, let me set up on a switch, or scout a different move. I am certain it will be one of the former two, because the last is very unlikely.

Turn 7
Deino used Substitute!
Deino made a substitute!

The foe's Gothorita hasn't enough energy left!

Deino 75% (SUB)
VS
Gothorita 7%

This turn confirms that he is indeed choiced, as nobody in their right mind would use Substitute with under 25% health. I get to set up a sub to help me deal with gravitytea's third Pokemon. This is a very convincing start for me and my 'rentals', so to speak. I am 99% sure that Gothorita will faint next turn, and one can tell it has a bad moveset anyway as he decided to sacrifice it rather than switching it out. I later discover it indeed had a Choice Band, so that would not be of any use to my opponent and it needn't battle. I feel sorry for him that he has a virtually useless Pokemon.

Turn 8
Deino used Assurance!
It's super effective!
The foe's Gothorita lost 6% of its health!
The foe's Gothorita fainted!

VALO 6-4 GRAVITYTEA

I finish off the Gothorita with a second Assurance and Deino grabs a KO to out my opponent two Pokemon down, without me even having taken much damage. Does he have a very, very bad team, or is he just saving it for later? We'll find out.

gravitytea sent out Hitmonchan!

75% (SUB)
VS
100%

So he does have something useful after all (assuming its moveset isn't completely terrible). I hate facing Hitmonchans online because of Mach Punch, as well as decent bulk. Luckily, it is unlikely that he has Mach Punch, and even if he does, I still have a sub that he has to get through. This does put me in a tricky situation, however. I'm probably faster so I may as well get a hit in before he breaks my sub (assuming he has some kind of move to harm me). I don't want to switch as that would ruin the sub. However, the only move that is neutral against him that I have is Slam, which is risky because of its accuracy. But whatever happens, nothing can go too wrong this turn.

Turn 9
Deino used Slam!
The attack of Deino missed!

The foe's Hitmonchan used Revenge!
It's super effective!
Deino's substitute faded!

The foe's Hitmonchan's Flame Orb activated!
The foe's Hitmonchan was burned!

Deino 75%
VS
Hitmonchan 100%

After a fantastic start for my team, something had to go wrong eventually. I hit the Hitmon with Slam... or at least I try to. Hitmonchan dodges and breaks my sub with Revenge. This isn't good. Deino may be able to take him out due to burn basically cancelling out his super effectivenes over me, but I can't risk anything with Slam. I can't exactly do anything worthy to him and there is no point sacrificing something with most of its health remaining. He can probably guess that I'll switch, but neither of us know the other's team and he has no idea what could be coming in. Also, switching is less prevalent in CC coupled with the fact he got unlucky with a Flame Orb so he might just assume I'll try to take him out. He may even switch himself. Not gonna happen. In comes the star of my team on paper.

Turn 10
Valo called Deino back!
Valo sent out Moltres!

Moltres is exerting its Pressure!
The foe's Hitmonchan used Rock Climb!
Moltres lost 25 HP! (11% of its health)

The foe's Hitmonchan is hurt by its burn!

89%
VS
87% (BURN)

So here it is, my shiny Moltres (couldn't find animated shiny sprite). It's moveset is decent, the biggest moan being that it has no fire type move, which is especially annoying due to it holding a Fire Jewel! How ironic! Anyway, rather that than a Flame Orb (sorry Hitmonchan)! So I switch in my Moltres, and, predicting a switch but not sure what to, he hits me with Rock Climb. A good move by him, as it is neutral on most things and I wouldn't switch in a rock or steel type on a suspected Revenge. It doesn't do much, but I am glad that it didn't confuse me. I don't think he'll switch because it is virtually crippled with that burn and I can't see it being useful later on. I use my only STAB move, Freefall. Let's hope he doesn't use Gravity!

Turn 11
Moltres took the foe's Hitmonchan in the air!

The foe's Hitmonchan can't attack while in the air!

Turn 12
Moltres used Freefall!
It's super effective!
The foe's Hitmonchan lost 46% of its health!

The foe's Hitmonchan used Swift!
Moltres lost 16 HP! (7% of its health)

Moltres 82%
VS
Hitmonchan 15% (BURN)

A two-turn move like Freefall is great in a situation like this as Hitmonchan takes two-turns-worth of burn damage. Freefall isn't the strongest move however, so Hitmonchan survives. If I do virtually any damage now, he will be finished off by burn, as the switch is unlikely. Still, I am wary of it and go for the safer option, Hidden Power.

Turn 13
Moltres used Hidden Power!
The foe's Hitmonchan lost 8% of its health!

The foe's Hitmonchan used Rock Climb!
Moltres lost 26 HP! (12% of its health)

The foe's Hitmonchan fainted!

VALO 6-3 GRAVITYTEA

Hidden Power Electric is disappointingly weak. Hitmonchan does have high special defence but a measly 8% rules it out as an attacking choice unless it is super effective. Still, burn damage finishes the skirt-bearing humanoid off and Moltres stands (flies, whatever) proud. I have revealed three Pokemon, and each have a KO. All three I know of his are fainted. This is too easy. Surely there must be something waiting in the wings that can stop me?

gravitytea sent out Gabite!

70%
VS
100%

Uh oh. If that thing has any decent moves, I am in big trouble. I have no dragon or ice type moves and despite good stats, Moltres' Freefall may not cut it against this thing. I guess I can be thankful that it isn't Garchomp, but that would be overkill. I'll try out Freefall and see what it can do to it. I've been breezing my way through, will this be a minor obstacle or a major roadblock?

Turn 14
The foe's Gabite used Swagger!
Moltres's Attack sharply rose!
Moltres became confused!

Moltres is confused!
It hurt itself in its confusion!
Moltres lost 39 HP! (18% of its health)

Moltres 52% (CONFUSED) (Att +2)
VS
Gabite 100%

Oh no, that did not just happen. Swagger seems so common in Challenge Cup and this is the worst time for confusion. Even worse, I can only effect him with the pitiful Mud-slap, or Freefall, which has a 25% chance of being successful. Fantastic. The obvious move would be to switch, but I'm going to try my luck. I'm interested to see what he is going to do. He'll either Swagger again, predicting a switch, or use an attacking move. Using Swagger again keeps me in the green unless confusion kicks in, and an attacking move helps me for scouting purposes. Although I'm trying to look at the positives, I'm in a very bad situation right now, despite being 3 Pokemon up.

Turn 15
The foe's Gabite used Headbutt!
Moltres lost 47 HP! (21% of its health)

Moltres is confused!
Moltres lost 41 HP! (19% of its health)

Moltres 12% (CONFUSED) (Att +2)
VS
Gabite 100%

That went horribly, horribly wrong. Moltres is close to fainting and the smug git on the other side is at full health, has a good solid move with a chance of flinching, and worst of all, the ability to cause confusion to anything I switch in. The attack boost really goes amiss with Swagger, all it does is make confusion even more. I guess it was about time for something to go wrong on my side. I'm facing something with the potential to wreck my whole team and I may have to make sacrifices. But whatever happens, there is no way that I am letting Moltres faint this coming turn.

Turn 16
Valo called Moltres back!
Valo sent out Pansage!

Pansage lost 68 HP! (29% of its health)

71%
VS
100%

Pansage takes the Headbutt as expected and it smoothly into the battlefield. I chose the little monkey as a sacrifice, to put it simply. Of course I am not just letting him faint without doing anything, but if he continues to Headbutt then it will take him three more, giving me two chances to weaken him. He may also use a different move, so Pansage, one of the weakest on my team, will serve as a vital scout. Good luck, little monkey!

Turn 17
The foe's Gabite used Fire Blast!
It's super effective!
Pansage lost 136 HP! (58% of its health)

Pansage used Tickle!
The foe's Gabite's Attack fell!
The foe's Gabite's Defense fell!

Pansage 12%
VS
Gabite 100% (Att, Def -1)

See, I knew I could trust the little thing! I learn that Gabite has Fire Blast, but Pansage survives it due to Gabite's not-so-impressive special attack. More importantly, he manages to Tickle the dragon and lower both its attack and defence. Perfect. Unfortunately, Pansage won't be able to take another hit from anything and its only action is likely to be that Tickle. But nonetheless, it is a contribution, even if it is small. I don't want anything else to take an attack without retaliating and Pansage is now useless. That darned Gabite is tasting its first blood and I fear it won't be the last.

Turn 18
Pansage lost 28 HP! (12% of its health)
Pansage fainted!

VALO 5-3 GRAVITYTEA

Valo sent out Deino!

75%
VS
100% (Att, Def -1)

I don't have much choice but to bring in Deino to take advantage of the weakened Gabite. It seems obvious that he will use Swagger; if I manage to hit through it, Gabite will be thrown aside and I will be back in complete control. But if he strikes himself in confusion, he is an easy kill for the big blue beast. No matter what happens, I have to thank Deino for ridding of Gothorita, despite it not being a threat. I can only pray that either he doesn't Swagger, or I hit through it.

Turn 19
Deino's Attack sharply rose!
Deino became confused!

Deino is confused!
Deino lost 110 HP! (56% of its health)

Deino 18% (CONFUSED) (ATT +2)
VS
Gabite 100% (Att, Def -1)

Gah, he did it again, as expected. Another Swagger! Even more disappointing to see is that Deino did so much to himself. I'm now sure an Assurance would have KO'd him due to me being at +2 and him being a -1. I'm now running out of options. I'm certain he can KO me with Headbutt, so either switch and take the Headbutt with someone else, or sacrifice Deino so that whoever comes in has a better chance. I'm sorry, Deino.

Turn 20
Monozu lost 36 HP! (18% of its health)
Monozu fainted!

VALO 4-3 GRAVITYTEA​

As expected, Deino faints from the hit, and the scores are close to level. I have Eelektross in the green, Moltres in the red or one of my two unrevealed Pokemon. I begin to formulate a plan. The two not yet out have poor movesets and can only really help out with supporting moves. So I aim to cripple the Gabite, hopefully leaving Moltres a clearer path. The first of which will really help in getting Moltres onto the battlefield safely.

Valo sent out Hoothoot!

100%
VS
100% (ATT, DEF -1)

Yes, it's a Hoothoot. He has a solid STAB move in Aerial Ace, but that isn't why I sent him out. He knows FeatherDance; which is basically a reverse Swords Dance. If I manage to get one off, Gabite will be at -3 attack and this will help the others get in. I just hope he doesn't switch out...

Turn 21
Hoothoot lost 51 HP! (22% of its health)

Hoothoot used FeatherDance!
The foe's Gabite's Attack sharply fell!

Hoothoot 78%
VS
Gabite 100% (Att -3, Def -1)

Perfect. He sees a Hoothoot and thinks he probably won't need to waste Swagger and he can take me out quickly with Headbutt. However, the attack doesn't do much and FeatherDance fully cripples it. It still has Fire Blast, but at this point Moltres has nothing to fear from it. I also don't know his fourth move, but I doubt it is something worthwhile otherwise he would have used it. After I manage to lower his stats to a sufficient level with that FeatherDance, he may switch or Swagger. I'm not sure what he is going to do. Swagger would be preferable because Hoothoot has done his job so far, whereas switching would take us back to the start, and if it came out again, I'd likely be too weak to cope with it.

Turn 22
Hoothoot's Attack sharply rose!
Hoothoot became confused!

Hoothoot is confused!
Hoothoot used Aerial Ace!
The foe's Gabite lost 32% of its health!

Hoothoot 78% (CONFUSED) (Att +2)
VS
Gabite 68% (Att -3, Def -1)

Gabite opts for the Swagger, but it is one of those rare occasions where I actually get my move off through confusion. Despite now being at +2 and him being at -1, Aerial Ace can't even manage to cut a third off his health. And now Hoothoot is confused, I don't have many options. Only Moltres has moves that will harm Gabite. Eelektross has U-Turn but it would take a few hits and he could keep Swaggering on the switch, ruling that out. I do have one more Pokemon, however, and it has a move that has the potential to let Moltres get in and take out the annoying blue dragon.

Turn 23
Valo called Hoothoot back!
Valo sent out Lilligant!
Lilligant lost 25 HP! (11% of its health)

89%
VS
68% (ATT -3, DEF -1)

I send in Lilligant, with one goal in mind. I know he can Fire Blast me, but I doubt it can 1HKO Lilligant coming off Gabite's base 50 special attack. Not to mention its shaky accuracy. But I only need one turn to do what I need to do, then I need to get the hell out of there fast. Just whilst I am planning ahead...

Lilligant used its Escape Button!

Gah. Great, that just ruins everything. I'm going to half to take this thing down without Sleep Powder, which I wanted my flower to use. I could always bring in Eelektross and U-Turn into Lilligant again, or U-turn into Moltres for extra damage, but there's always the possibility of him Swaggering and really screwing me over. I don't want to take any more chances, but I'm going to have to make some kind of decision. I'm cutting right to the point and sending Moltres out, with one instruction. Faint Gabite.

12%
VS
68% (ATT -3, DEF -1)

Turn 24
Moltres lost 18 HP! (8% of its health)

Moltres used Roost!
Moltres landed on the ground!
Moltres regained health!

Moltres 54%
VS

Perfect! Before any attack loss, Gabite did 21% to Moltres. Since then, he has had his attack halved, meaning around 10-11%, if it maintains consistent. That leaves a chance of KO considering Moltres was riding on 12% HP. gravitytea must have noticed this too, trying to finish Moltres off. But he valiantly survives with 4% left and manages to get a Roost off. Gabite suddenly looks angry as Moltres is restored to above 50%. Game on! Now, what to do next? I'd imagine Freefall can go fairly close to KO'ing him with his lowered defence, but Swagger will really screw Freefall up, and he's probably going to Swagger now. I'll try to Roost then have round two with Lilligant.

Turn 25
Moltres became confused!

Moltres is confused!
Moltres used Roost!
Moltres regained health!

Moltres 100% (CONFUSED) (ATT +2)
VS

It all goes as expected. Gabite Swaggers but I manage to get back up to full health with Roost. I continue on with my plan and switch Moltres out, hoping in the end to be coming back in on a sleeping Gabite.

Turn 26
Valo sent out Lilligant!

Lilligant lost 26 HP! (11% of its health)

78%
VS
68% (ATT -3, DEF -1)

Again, nothing out of the ordinary this turn. Lilligant comes in and takes the expected Headbutt, but this time there is no Escape Button to drag me back out. He'll either Fire Blast or Swagger. Fire Blast is what I hope for, as Lilligant could maybe even take two, at a stretch. Swagger will give me a low chance of hitting him with Sleep Powder, so I'm hoping he uses Fire Blast. If I get really lucky, he'll miss!

Turn 27
It's super effective!
Lilligant lost 96 HP! (42% of its health)

Lilligant used Sleep Powder!
The attack of Lilligant missed!

Lilligant 36%
VS

It's just not going to happen, is it? Fire Blast hits and Sleep Powder misses, leaving Lilligant in Gabite's KO range. I begin to question my ability to win this battle. He saved this beast until three of his own had been KO'd, who knows who his last two are? He knows my remaining 4, whereas he has only complete unknowns. I may be a Pokemon up but three of them have been weakened, leaving just Moltres to have a serious attempt at winning. I don't want Lilligant to faint as Sleep Powder may be useful against whoever else he has (that is, if I beat this darn Gabite!), so I'm forced to switch. Moltres can take whatever Gabite has, including a few turns of confusion, so let's try this again.

Turn 28
Valo called Lilligant back!
Valo sent out Moltres!

The attack of the foe's Gabite missed!

100%
VS
68% (ATT -3, DEF -1)

Haha, I'm not the only one missing with unreliable moves. He opts for the Fire Blast to remove Lilligant, but despite me letting go of Deino and Pansage, I'm not giving up somebody with the ability to sleep-induce that easily. It's likely he'll use Swagger, but I now have enough health to take a few hits including from confusion. After that Tickle that my Pansage used earlier, I should go pretty close to KOing with Freefall, assuming I attack through the oncoming confusion.

Turn 29
Moltres became confused!

Moltres is confused!
Moltres took the foe's Gabite in the air!

Turn 30
The foe's Gabite can't attack while in the air!

Moltres is confused!
Moltres used Freefall!
The foe's Gabite lost 61% of its health!

Moltres 100% (CONFUSED) (Att +2)
VS
Gabite 7% (ATT -3, DEF -1)

The darned creature which has battled five of my six Pokemon is finally on its last legs. At long last I hit it through confusion, the first time since Hoothoot managed an Aerial Ace. It leaves him clinging on with under 10%, which means just one more hit should do it. My plan right now is simply to knock Gabite out and from there I simply have no clue. You have to change your strategy a lot in Challenge Cup and when you don't know their remaining Pokemon you're going to have to improvise, which is what I'll have to do. Of course, that is assuming that I don't get humiliated by confusion.

Turn 31
The foe's Gabite ate its Custap Berry!
The foe's Gabite is already preparing its next move!
Moltres lost 19 HP! (8% of its health)

Moltres is confused!
Moltres lost 37 HP! (17% of its health)

Turn 32

Moltres is confused!
Moltres lost 37 HP! (17% of its health)

Moltres 40% (CONFUSED) (Att +2)
VS
Gabite 7% (ATT -3, DEF -1)

I'm bashing my head against the wall at this point. I can take another Headbutt coupled with confusion damage, even a critical from Headbutt will see me survive. I then remember that confusion lasts 1-4 turns. That was the third turn, meaning I will snap out either next turn or the turn after. He can't even use Swagger again, so I've instantly gone from gloomy to delighted. Unless he switches, which is unlikely because they'll have to take a strong hit, that Gabite will faint at some point over the next two turns. Unless, of course, something disastrous happens...

Turn 33

Moltres snapped out its confusion!
Moltres used Mud-Slap!
The foe's Gabite lost 6% of its health!
The foe's Gabite fainted!

VALO 4-2 GRAVITYTEA

I can hardly believe my eyes. Twenty turns since it first stepped up to the late Deino, it finally falls to a weak Mud-slap, of all moves. I know it wasn't the strongest of things, but in Challenge Cup you don't have designated counters and it took all supporting moves I had to KO Gabite. Anyway, I can't dwell on that victory. I don't know either of his last two Pokemon, and I begin to wonder if that is why he kept Gabite in even after Tickle and FeatherDance. He was forcing me to wear myself out against it and perhaps weaken me for the next Pokemon. Up until now, his Pokemon have gone up in terms of usesfulness (ok, maybe Cleffa and Gothorita were equally useless). Hitmonchan's Flame Orb was a shame for him, as it could have ripped through my team bar Moltres. But now all I can do is wait to see his penultimate Pokemon and go from there.

gravitytea sent out Salamence!

Oh boy, I wish I hadn't asked. He brings out a Salamence, of all things, I begin to unravel more of his plan. He virtually scouted my whole team, and he found no dragon, ice or rock type moves. I am now raging at not realizing why he stayed in so long and was just annoying rather than trying to sweep. If this thing has even one good move, which I am sure it has due to his care in bringing it in, I don't know what to do. He'll likely be faster than me, as this Moltres is rather slow, so all I can do is use Roost and scout out his preferred move.

Turn 34
The foe's Salamence used Dragon Claw!
Moltres lost 79 HP! (36% of its health)

Moltres used Roost!
Moltres regained health!

54%
VS
100%

Whew, that was close. If he was a little more lucky I would have lost the match there and then; my other three cannot touch Salamence, or anything else half-decent, to be fair. He reveals his first move and it looks worrying. a powerful STAB move that isn't all too bad in real competitive matches. Luckily, Moltres has the bulk to hang on with 4% and use Roost. That isn't the first time, mind you, that Moltres has got lucky with Roost after being close to going down. I can take another Dragon Claw; that is I hope he doesn't have the dreaded Swagger or a similar move. If he does use Dragon Claw, then I may as well spam Roost until I have the health to take two Dragon Claws, and then go in for the attack.

Turn 35

Moltres used Roost!
Moltres regained health!

Turn 36
Moltres lost 73 HP! (34% of its health)

Moltres used Roost!
Moltres regained health!

Moltres 84%
VS
Salamence 100%

He Dragon Claws both times, which allows me to Roost twice and give me leeway to attack him. This is where I make a giant mistake. No, I don't use Mud-slap on him. I use Freefall, as I didn't realize it doesn't affect flying types. Even worse than that... well, you'll see.

Turn 37
Moltres lost 75 HP! (35% of its health)

Moltres took the foe's Salamence in the air!

Turn 38
The foe's Salamence can't attack while in the air!

Moltres used Freefall!

Turn 39

Moltres used Roost!
Moltres regained health!

Turn 40
Moltres lost 82 HP! (38% of its health)

Moltres used Roost!
Moltres regained health!

Turn 41
Moltres lost 73 HP! (34% of its health)

Moltres used Roost!
Moltres regained health!

Turn 42
Moltres lost 72 HP! (33% of its health)

Moltres took the foe's Salamence in the air!

Turn 43
The foe's Salamence can't attack while in the air!

Moltres used Freefall!

Turn 44
Moltres lost 72 HP! (33% of its health)

Moltres used Roost!
Moltres regained health!

Moltres 74%
VS
Salamence 100%

Yes, yes, I am ashamed. I didn't want to exclude anything from the battle so it's all there in bulk. I use Freefall, not realizing it doesn't damage flying types. But then, after a few more turns or DClaw/Roost, I do it AGAIN! Why? Well, I miss his comment asking what the move did the first time, and I miss that it did nothing. Therefore, I go and do it again. I'm lucky that this didn't cost me the game. In my defence, it is the first time I have used the move and I didn't know about that effect. Also, I felt I was safe bar a critical hit so I didn't bother looking at Salamence's HP; only mine to make sure I had enough HP to attack. I'm lucky, however, that he wasn't just lulling me into a false sense of security. If he had something like Outrage, he could have just finished me off the turn after I used Freefall first. So that was all a waste of PP, wasn't it?

Turn 45
The foe's Salamence used Rock Smash!
It's not very effective...
Moltres lost 12 HP! (5% of its health)
Moltres's Defense fell!

Moltres used Roost!
Moltres regained health!

Moltres 100% (Def -1)
VS
Salamence 100%

He finally reveals the second of his moves; Rock Smash. It doesn't appear worrying, but it very well could be. It lowers defence, which means Roost stalling him will soon become ineffective and I'll have to hope Hidden Power can really hurt him. Alternatively, I can switch out and use supporting moves such as Sleep Powder and Featherdance, then come back in a hit him again until he goes down. He must also be close to running out of Dragon Claw PP due to Moltres' ability, Pressure, and he wants to preserve it. I'll stick around to see how much Hidden Power can do then I'll either take him out or switch out and set-up.

Turn 46
Moltres lost 121 HP! (56% of its health)

The foe's Salamence lost 14% of its health!

Moltres 44% (Def -1)
VS
Salamence 86%

I can take both positives and negatives from this turn. The downside is obvious. One more Dragon Claw will knock me out and therefore I'm forced to switch. Also, I now know Rock Smash is much more effective than I first thought and it is basically just a set-up move for him. Not only that, but Hidden Power doesn't do much at all. On the upside, however, he thinks I am out of Roost PP, due to me using Hidden Power. I know this because he asked me on the chat and I didn't reply until later. Time to bring in Hoothoot and FeatherDance the bulky dragon.

Turn 47
Valo sent out Hoothoot!

Hoothoot lost 118 HP! (51% of its health)

Turn 48
Hoothoot lost 43 HP! (18% of its health)

Hoothoot used FeatherDance!
The foe's Salamence's Attack sharply fell!

8%
VS
86% (ATT-2)

There we go, Hoothoot does his job. Why doesn't he KO me with Dragon Claw? I'm guessing he thought I would switch back into either Moltres or something else and he wants it weakened. But he's made it incredibly hard for me to predict him at times and therefore his predicting isn't going to work. I basically give up on Hoothoot, but Salamences Rock Smashes and the bird gets the vital FeatherDance in, which will let Moltres go close to KO'ing Salamence before he cancels out his attack deficits by lowering me down with Rock Smash. I then remember the ability, Moxie, meaning he'll only be at -1 if he KOs one of my Pokemon. I noticed he had no Intimidate so he must have Moxie. So I'm left a choice: Go into Moltres now and try to KO him, or first attempt putting him to sleep and whittle away at him, at the risk of losing FeatherDance's effects.

Turn 49
Valo called Hoothoot back!
Valo sent out Lilligant!

Lilligant lost 18 HP! (8% of its health)
Lilligant's Defense fell!

28% (DEF -1)
VS
86% (ATT-2)

Perfect. I thought he would predict a switch out to Moltres again so he goes for the Rock Smash, but in comes Lilligant. Right now he doesn't know if I plan to stick around and Sleep Powder, or I only switched to take the defence loss allowing Moltres to switch into a Dragon Claw. I'm going for the former, so I really hope he Rock Smashes again. If he sees a switch to Moltres then there is the chance he will Rock Smash, but I'm expecting a Dragon Claw which will finish off Lilligant. He definitely doesn't want to run the risk of getting put to sleep.

Turn 50
Lilligant lost 59 HP! (26% of its health)
The foe's Salamence's Attack rose!
Lilligant fainted!

VALO 3-2 GRAVITYTEA

Shame, but it was inevitable no matter what I tell myself, really. Not only does he take out my sleep-inducer, he regains some of his attack back due to his ability. I'm really hoping that this guy is his trump card. I can't afford to worry about who he has last as it could be anything. It could be something too bad for him to even use earlier, or, if it follows the pattern, it will be a legendary with a godly moveset. But that's getting too far ahead. Right now I have to focus on Salamence, and only Salamence. Eelektross hasn't seen any action since taking out the opposing lead, Cleffa, so it's time for him to attempt to bring Salamence close to KO range.

Valo sent out Eelektross!

72%
VS
86% (ATT-1)

Turn 51
Shibirudon lost 69 HP! (32% of its health)

Shibirudon used Acid Bomb!
The foe's Salamence lost 14% of its health!
The foe's Salamence's Sp. Def. sharply fell!

Turn 52
Shibirudon lost 76 HP! (35% of its health)

Shibirudon used Acid Bomb!
The foe's Salamence lost 28% of its health!
The foe's Salamence's Sp. Def. sharply fell!

Eelektross 5%
VS
Salamence 42%

So it goes how I expected it would. His Salamence has been reduced to under half HP, and since I know he is unlikely to switch, Moltres should be able to take him out before Salamence sets up. Alternatively, one more Acid Bomb can actually KO Salamence, and he might know that, leaving him to take me out first with Dragon Claw. Either Rock Smash or Dragon Claw will take out my lead, so I am left with a choice. Sac Hoothoot, or sac Eelektross. I go for the former. Sorry, Hoothoot. Since I have no idea about my opponent's last Pokemon, FeatherDance could be completely useless. But then again, Eelektross is virtually out for the count too. Looking at what I've got, I deduce that it will come down to Moltres vs his final Pokemon.

Turn 53
Valo called Shibirudon back!
Valo sent out Hoothoot!

Hoothoot lost 18 HP! (7% of its health)
The foe's Salamence's Attack rose!
Hoothoot fainted!

Valo sent out Moltres!

VALO 2-2 GRAVITYTEA

54%
VS
42%

Twenty turns ago, Salamence came out and faced Moltres for the first time. Fast forward to now, and the same two face each other gain, albeit both weakened. This will be a decisive battle. If Salamence KOs Moltres, gravitytea wins. If I KO Salamence, I stand a chance of winning. He has the upper hand here, but I think that Moltres will eradicate Salamence before he can set-up on me with Rock Smash, which I predict he will use. He could always Dragon Claw but he would have to get a critical hit for the KO. Taking into account that two Dragon Claws or a defence-lowering Rock Smash+a Dragon Claw will KO me, I go for the safe option.

Turn 54
It's not very effective...
Moltres lost 13 HP! (6% of its health)
Moltres's Defense fell!

Moltres used Roost!
Moltres regained health!

Moltres 98% (Def -1)
VS
Salamence 42%

He Rock Smashes, and I Roost up to virtually full HP. It's going to take 2 or three Hidden Powers to KO him, whilst he can 2HKO with Dragon Claw. Not looking good. I have one switch left, to Eelektross, should I need it, but I'd rather not sac him as it won't have any effect. After a boosted Dragon Claw, I'd switch back in and whilst I'd have dropped the defence loss, he'd have +1 attack due to Moxie. It's the end of the line now, we're right down to the wire. Either Salamence or Moltres will fall soon, which of the winged beasts will it be? I use Hidden Power, in the hope that a miracle happens.

Turn 55
The foe's Salamence used Scary Face!
Moltres's Speed sharply fell!

A critical hit!
The foe's Salamence lost 42% of its health!
The foe's Salamence fainted!

VALO 2-1 GRAVITYTEA

Wait, what? What just happened. I don't understand anything that happened that turn. First, he used Scary Face? Why? He's already faster, is he resigning for some reason and weakening me for his final Pokemon? Or was it just a mis-click? I then go over the past turns since Salamence has been in, and then I realize. I don't get it at first, but because of Moltres' Pressure, he has used all 24 of his Dragon Claw PP. He believes that speed is more of an issue to his last Pokemon than attack, so I believe it to be a slower powerhouse of some sort. Or is he just giving up? Secondly, the critical hit KO'd him. I don't like hax, but by the sounds of it, I would have KO'd him next turn anyway, so I'm not too bothered. But last time, Hidden Power did just 14%, but a crit did 42% at least? Then I recall that his Special Defence was at -4 from those two Acid Bombs that Eelektross used. So I might have not even need a crit, which makes me feel better. But best of all, his Salamence goes down. Not quite as satisfying as Gabite's fainting, but more a sense of relief. I am so close to the win. What is the final obstacle?

gravitytea sent out Dragonair!

98% (SPEED -2, DEF -1)
VS
100%

So here it is, the final match-up; Dragonair vs Moltres. There are hundreds I'd rather face, but it could have been much, much worse. I'm curious as to what moves it knows. It could be great, for all I know. The only thing I know right now, is that Moltres and Dragonair will end this battle. I'm going to sacrifice Eelektross for two reasons. One of them is to get rid of Moltres' stat changes, as I don't want -1 Defence and I think I can be faster if I am at normal speed. Second, I'll be able to scout out one of his moves, and it is likely to be one of his best. Gabite used Swagger first, and Salamence lead with Dragon Claw. Guess which move forced me to continuously switch? Swagger. Guess which move forced me to continuously heal? Dragon Claw. So I'll be happier knowing one of his moves then just going in to attack recklessly. Eelektross begun this match by taking out Cleffa, and he also enabled me to down Salamence quicker. He's hung around for 55 turns, it's time he says goodbye.

Turn 56
Valo sent out Shibirudon!

The foe's Dragonair used Draco Meteor!
Shibirudon lost 5 HP! (2% of its health)
The foe's Dragonair's Sp. Att. sharply fell!
Shibirudon fainted!

Valo sent out Moltres!

VALO 1-1 GRAVITYTEA

98%
VS
100% (Sp.Atk -2)

So, we're finally there. We are both down to one Pokemon. Me and my shiny Moltres, him and his Dragonair. Both at almost full health, but he has a special attack deficit. Whilst I'm not happy to see my faithful lead faint, he may have just won this for me, unless he has something like Outrage. He has nothing left and is finished off by Draco Meteor, sharply lowering Dragonair's special attack. That attack may have put Moltres in serious trouble, but Eelektross allows Moltres to come back in with few worries.

Turn 57
Moltres took the foe's Dragonair in the air!

The foe's Dragonair can't attack while in the air!

Turn 58
Moltres used Freefall!
The foe's Dragonair lost 25% of its health!

The foe's Dragonair used Frustration!
Moltres lost 52 HP! (24% of its health)

Moltres 74%
Dragonair 75%

So we both deal around the same damage, about a quarter of the opponent's health. That past turn was a vital one. I learn of his primary attacking move, now that his special attack has dropped, and since Moltres is faster, I learn that with no hax, I will win this battle. But I'm not getting carried away. Crits are easily achieved and I refuse to let hax decide this battle. Not to mention, he could have a better move that he didn't want to reveal yet, lulling me into a false sense of security. I'll hit him again, then play more cautiously.

Turn 59

Turn 60
Moltres used Freefall!
The foe's Dragonair lost 27% of its health!

The foe's Dragonair used Draco Meteor!
Moltres lost 60 HP! (28% of its health)
The foe's Dragonair's Sp. Att. sharply fell!

Moltres 46%
Dragonair 48% (Sp.Atk -4)

We're nearly at the finale. Still neck and neck, he choose Draco Meteor, which does marginally more than Frustration. But now he's at -4, I'm not worried about Draco Meteor or any other special attack. All I'm worried about are critical hits and unrevealed attacks. To protect me from the former, I go for the safe option and Roost up a bit.

Turn 61
Moltres used Roost!
Moltres regained health!

Moltres lost 47 HP! (21% of its health)

Turn 62
Moltres used Roost!
Moltres regained health!

Moltres lost 49 HP! (22% of its health)

Moltres 78%
Dragonair 48% (Sp.Atk -4)

I stall him some more, and now I am safe from a critical Frustration KO'ing me. I can now taste victory. After 60-something turns, this is finally going to end. I'm relieved more than anything. My team has worked together well and all contributed to Moltres' struggle against the dragons. It might have sounded like a one-man-band, but trust me, it wasn't. Yes, he has KO'd three and is set to grab his fourth. And the first two weren't even threats to me at all. But that doesn't matter. He wouldn't have beaten Gabite if Hoothoot didn't FeatherDance and Pansage didn't Tickle. He wouldn't have beaten Salamence if it wasn't for that FeatherDance stopping Salamence from abusing Moxie, and Eelektross and those Acid Bombs helped me KO him with Moltres. The lamprey also allowed me to have the upper hand over Dragonair. Deino took out a Pokemon, and even if Lilligant did nothing, it took hits. A great all-round performance. It's time to end this.

Turn 63

Turn 64
Moltres used Freefall!
The foe's Dragonair lost 27% of its health!

Moltres lost 49 HP! (22% of its health)

Turn 65

Turn 66
Moltres used Freefall!
The foe's Dragonair lost 19% of its health!
The foe's Dragonair fainted!

VALO 1-0 GRAVITYTEA

Valo won the battle!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Props
- Moltres for taking out his only 4 Pokemon that threatened me
- Everybody else for playing their part
- gravitytea for giving me such an exciting battle
- Gabite, whom I now hate, for forcing me to switch countless times and he ran amok
- Moltres being blessed with Roost, and his ability, Pressure
- gravitytea for always keeping me guessing and not giving away a thing

Slops:
- A couple of crits here and there
- Me for not realizing that Freefall doesn't effect flying-types, and using it twice vs Salamence
- Confusion hax with Swagger and Rock Smash always seemed to lower my defence when it mattered
- Lilligant for doing nothing but taking hits
- Gothorita for being locked into Substitute
- Me for switching countless times

So there we have it, my first warstory. Thanks to you for reading, gravitytea for being a great sport, and everyone else involved. I hope to have a decent enough team in the near future to post a regular warstory with proper predictions and everything. Please say what you think, I won't be offended, as I can improve for next time. I personally believe it gets better as it goes on, as the best part of the battle is probably when Gabite is out. Thank you and good bye!

I really enjoyed this. Challenge Cup brings out some really interesting battles, as good players can bring together a series of different moves on different pokemon to provide interesting strategies, and it's usually more about being able to take hits than giving them. And as you demonstrated with Moltres, it usually takes an entire team supporting the efforts of one Ace to pull through.

But man, having to go up against three members of the dragon pseudo-legendary line and overcoming them was good to see - as well as fresh bunch of pokemon to see participating as well.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Basically what Denzen said i really enjoyed this warstory. Challenge Cup adds a fresh new dimension to battling and the quirky teams and pokemon allow for a much more interesting (although not as intricate) warstory read. You comments and layout added to the warstory considerably as the layout was easy to read and the commentary was insightful.

Layout: 9.8 (Didn't like the beginning layout so much)
Commentary: 9.5 (Excellent commentary)
Battle: 9.2 (Despite the CC style the teams were well matched and the only misplay {Frefalling the Salamence} was a minor one}

Overall: 9.6 (Personal intangibles add the extra .1)

It's good to see new styles of play in warstories. However, you could've noticed earlier that Sky Drop doesn't affect Flying-types (you used it first on turn 38 and since then you've tried using it again despite the complete lack of damage message) and your opponent has never switched; also some hax occurred (Sleep Powder and Fire Blast missing, crits). But you've planned well that battle even if chance was against you (Flame Jewel Moltres without any Fire-type move, for example). Also great format. Keep on trying.

Format: A
Battle: A-
Commentary: A+
Overall: A

Yes, I'm ashamed of that Freefall business. To be honest, I had heard of some glitch to do with it and I assumed that's what it was, before I looked it up!

Thanks guys, anyway. Oh, and I've got rid of all the moves and stuff on the teams.

i love challenge cup(even when it gave me the following: unown@choice specs hp ice(actually koed an opponent's dragon which i don't remember right now))
and i always enjoy watching challenge cup battles that was not bad for a challenge cup battle...

That was aaaaaaaaaawesome! :3

You really know how to drive up the suspense! And the ending rocked! It was a close match. Woo!

A give eet a Ten outta Ten! 10/10!!!

Challenge cup warstories are awesome. ^_^ I love how you never know what the heck is going to come out next!

Your opponent could have won this easily if he had switched to remove some of the stat decreases you got on him. Also using draco meteor at the end while you still had another mon was not the best move. Besides that, good warstory.

It was good, but your opponent wasn't that good.
I personally wanted a bit more from the format, but at least you didn't use hard to see colors or anything of that sort.

I give you: 7/10

First CC warstory I've ever seen, some really nice playing there. Who knew Hoothoot could be useful?!? 9.5/10 for sheer ability. Taking out 3 pseudo-legend lines. Phew!

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
RMT Leader
Decent warstory overall, but as your first this is pretty good.

8/10

Battle was OK, but CC warstory? We definitely need more of these. Actually if you had some dude with Ice Beam/Blizzard, he'd be dead already, Cleffa was lol, Gothorita was choiced stuck into Sub, and Hitmonchan can't stay 1 turn in without getting burnt. His 3 other Pokemon could be easily 1-2HKO'd by an ice move, so your opponent definitely lucked out there.

(Reminds me of a CC battle I had with my friend, he used Swagger on my Mudkip twice, both times, he snapped out of confusion and swept with +4 Aqua Tail. :P)

Nice warstory, the Challenge Cup was a pleasant change. Good commentary too. A bit of h@x but not too much to ruin it.

8/10

This was an average battle, but CC Warstory? Good stuff.

I remember that time when I beat my friend's Inconsistent Snorunt... Good times. The only problem I have with CC is the luck-fucking I always get... :(

I liked the warstory. You had good commentary all the way through, and you used the gen 5 names a lot (though there were a couple of places where you missed them, like Freefall instead of Sky Drop, whatever).

Good stuff, enjoyed the battle and commentary. Now I want to do a CC warstory. Challenge Cup is where the great battles are from.
1 vs 1 CC, Metapod vs Latios.
Metapod 3HKO with STAB SE Bug Bite.

A bit haxy, but reasonable given the game mechanics

Great first warstory! While Challenge Cup often provides somewhat shaky battles, it's always fun to play, and this was a great battle with some actual tactics involved. Overall good play from both sides, teams that were close to each other in terms of strength and good commentary make this a very solid first warstory.

9/10, and a Luvdisc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)