1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Post all suggestions for Pokemon Showdown in this thread. Do NOT post them in the Suggestion Box!
  3. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Challenger tiers

Discussion in 'The Suggestion Box' started by Grimsley, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grimsley

Grimsley

OK, so we all know there is a skill gap between gamers, especially in Pokemon. Some gamers understand all of the metagame, have the damage calculations down to 1.034 (I don't even...) and win constantly. Whereas there are newer players that still put Physical moves on pokemon that have an abyssal attack stat and wonderful special attack stats.

Now, while this may be my first post, I am by no means new to the forums or to Smogon itself. I've lurked here since it's founding, always watching, thinking, and judging your posts. I have taken it upon myself to create an account and battle someone on Battle Finder. And what did I find?

Someone that clearly knew nothing about the metagame. Fuck mentor-ship program, this kid was downright awful. My Politoed managed to 2HK0 everything on his team, and it was the bulky variant of Politoed.

What I'm getting at is I think there should be 4 tiers when you want to ask for a battle in Smogon.

Tier 1:Bronze
    Explanation: Little to no experience in competitive play. These players learn against other players in the tier, eventually becoming comfortable with their skill, growing with their pokemon, and graduating.

Tier 2: Silver
    Explanation: Somewhat experienced with a basic understanding of the metagame, type resistance, etc. This is for players that have played for awhile, and can hold their own against most other players in the tier.

Tier 3: Gold
    Explanation: Most players will find themselves in this category. This is for those that know all the pokemon in the tier they are playing in, and have a refined knowledge of all things pokemon. Most battlers in Smogon should be here.

Tier 4: Platinum
    Explanation: Godsend trainers. These trainers are the best of the best, elite of the elite. These are the guys that tear apart your team with an unboosted Haxorus. They know everything about the metagame, and have a serious amount of skill.

What do you guys think? I find this to be the fairest and simplest way to root out the pokemon players whom don't have much skill and place them with others in the same category, fixing unfair advantages and making things more fun as a whole.

Please, comment and leave me your feedback. If look forward to becoming a regular contributor on these boards!
  2. ThisMysteriousGuy

ThisMysteriousGuy

I think something similar was already suggested here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3481723

A problem I can see arising as mentioned in the thread above is the use of alternate accounts. Many people who are often serious at laddering, including myself at times, have a lot of different usernames so that they can start with a clean slate for whatever reason, usually in case something goes wrong when laddering on a different account. As such, those players start back on the very first tier whenever they start a new account even though their experience is much much greater than a player of that rank is supposed to be at.

Looking at what you've suggested, it would be easier to ask for the option to only search for players who have a ranking similar to yours, give or take 50 or so Glicko2/ACRE points.
  3. Grimsley

Grimsley

@ThisMysteriousGuy: That is true... I don't see a way to rectify this... Any suggestions?
  4. Lady Salamence

Lady Salamence is a three-dimensional retard.
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Using IPs should solve that problem, to an extent.
  5. Grimsley

Grimsley

I guess, but that would, I'm sure break some other things. My whole deal is I just want it to be fair for newer players
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)