ORAS OU Chansey Offense Peaked #1, 2052, 89.2 % GXE

Empo

is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 30 Championis the Smogon Tour Season 33 Championwon the 17th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender

DANN3 rlly like red hot chili peppers.

INTRODUCTION

hey guys, DANN3 and Empo here with a Mega Metagross RMT! This is like the first time we built together :3. We've been working on this squad a lot. We initially wanted to build around a strong steel mega and we chose Mega Gross, which goes p fine with kyube that destroys things like landot quag and check electrics that can give troubles to mega gross. Gliscor was added to check cm fable and other fat mons, then swords dance on them and gg. Skarm is the user that sets spikes and tank EVERYTHING physical. Chansey is fat and it counters most of the specially attackers (it can deal with physical ones tho because it's so FAT.). Tentacruel is here to spin and to check usually stuff, keldeo and other bulky waters. It sets tspikes tho, and it's a meme for most of electrics due to Mirror coat.

TEAM IN DEPTH LOOK

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Meteor Mash
- Hammer Arm
- Thunder Punch
- Pursuit

Mega Metagross is one of the few steel type megas which are viable, and it is extremely powerful with good coverage. This set has pursuit to trap latios and latias, which has good synergy with the hazard core (described later). Meteor Mash and Hammer Arm are necessary because Meteor Mash is the main stab move, and Hammer Arm allows Metagross to hit steels. Thunderpunch was chosen over Ice punch because Landorus and Garchomp are not really threats to this team, and I would prefer not to have Metagross become a free switch in for water types like Slowbro.

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt / Outrage
- Earth Power
- Roost

Life orb Kyurem-B is now an underrated threat because most Clefables are using phys def over spdef (walling standard Medicham), which means that Ice Beam 2hkos it on the switch. With fusion bolt and earth power, it has near perfect coverage, allowing it to become a huge threat to balanced teams, and getting kills vs offensive teams when possible. Outrage is an option over Fusion Bolt, since a nuetral Outrage hits about as hard as a super effective Fusion Bolt, as well as 2hkoing Chansey. Kyurem also has good defensive utility, with amazing bulk and the ability to check Manaphy and grass types.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 204 SpD / 60 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Roost

Gliscor is a staple on many balance teams, as its ability not only prevents it from being statused, but also provides 12.5% passive recovery, making it a very annoying mon to kill. With spikes up, several checks to Gliscor, including Keldeo and Weavile quickly get worn down. It also serves as a check to many mons, including CM Clefable, Amoonguss, Alomomola, and other passive mons which can spread status and annoy the team. Knock off is an annoyance to opposing teams, as it can cripple several switch ins, either limiting the power of their attacks, or preventing them from recovering more with leftovers. Overall, Gliscor is a very solid mon and wins many matchups by itself.

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Counter
- Whirlwind
- Roost

Skarm fits p well here since it's one of the best switchin of the physical attackers. Roost, the most important move Skarmory carries, allows it to stay healthy throughout the match. Counter is a viable option to fare better against some setup sweepers such as Bisharp and Mega Scizor. However, Counter relies too heavily on Sturdy and can allow Skarmory's foes to inflict extremely high amounts of damage. Spikes is used in the second slot so Skarmory can support its team with entry hazards. Last but not least Whirlwind prevents Pokemon such as Swords Dance Bisharp and Dragon Dance Gyarados from sweeping by phazing them out and racks up entry hazard damage on the opponent.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
Shiny: Yes
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Stealth Rock

Chansey is one of the best pokemon in OU (according to Ciele) and has been a cancerous presence ever since gen 1. On this team, it checks several special threats, lays down Stealth Rocks, and spreads status through Toxic. It can be difficult to wear this mon down due to its massive bulk and ability, which cures status upon switching. It also has only 1 weakness (fighting). However, this weakness can be problematic if the opponent has a Medicham or Heracross. Because of this, an alternate version with Clefable > Chansey can be used. Clefable checks standard Medicham and Heracross well with a max HP max Def spread and can also set up rocks vs Sableye, making the stall matchup easier. However, this is at the cost of being much weaker to Charizard-Y, Thundurus, and Manaphy.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Mirror Coat

Tentacruel's good defensive typing and stats allow it to check some of the largest threats in the OU metagame such as Azumarill, Keldeo, and Clefable. However, its main job is to provide hazard removal as well as laying down toxic spikes. Scald has a high chance to burn the target, which makes physical attackers reluctant to switch into Tentacruel. Similarly, Mirror Coat deters special attackers, and can often be used to deal with dangerous threats including Charizard-Y, Manaphy, and even Thundurus if needed (Tentacruel lives a Thunderbolt from full health). Rapid Spin is Tentacruel's main perk over other bulky Water-types and provides immense support to its team, since opposing spikes stackers can prove to be incredibly annoying to Metagross and Kyurem.

Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Hammer Arm
- Thunder Punch
- Pursuit

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Roost

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 244 HP / 204 SpD / 60 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Roost

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Counter
- Whirlwind
- Roost

Chansey @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Stealth Rock

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Mirror Coat

we had clef>chansey inb4, but then we were too weak to this shit. We added chansey for this reason but if it's nplot w fblast or mixed thundu, it gives problems anyway.

dark type mons do troubles to our team tho, so play around them good with skarmory (which has counter) so you can deal w them.

the sub cmind one gives problems since we dont have a way to hit it w tentacruel if he has the substitute.

CONCLUSION

Hope you guys have enjoyed reading this rmt, and hope you'll try it and have success on ladder! Have a good day :].

Last edited:
Yeah, Keldeo, Zard-X, M-Medicham, M-Scizor, and Swords Dance Talonflame all look like major threats. A common core like defensive SD Zor + Keldeo should win pretty comfortably I would think. It looks like the combination of M-Sableye + Spikes is annoying as well.

The most obvious option is Slowbro > Tentacruel. I'm not a fan of Tentacruel and on such a relatively balanced team, I'm not seeing the effectiveness of Toxic Spikes, particularly with so many bulky builds using Amoonguss. Slowbro improves your matchup against everything but M-Scizor. Chansey should be using Thunder Wave > Toxic, and if you don't make any other mon changes, then obviously Defog > Spikes on Skarm is a sad necessity.

If not, then Clefable > Chansey and Quagsire > Gliscor is another thing to consider. You keep your Scald switch in and Kyu-B check and gain some extra counterplay against all your threats, while not opening up any new weaknesses as far as I can see (Dragon Pulse Serp but w/e, Chansey isn't even a good stop to that).

I also can't help feeling that Heatran or even Tyranitar > M-Metagross is pretty logical but I have a tendency to methodically erase all speed and offensive pressure from teams so take that with a grain of salt.

Gl dude

Hey dude, I hope you are well, I completely agree with the aforementioned Slowbro over Tentacruel with the following set;
Slowbro @ Leftovers/Colbur Berry
Regenerator
Bold Nature
252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SDef
- Psyshock
- Thunder Wave
- Scald
- Slack Off / Ice Beam / Fire Blast

The minor Sp Def investment always allows you to avoid the 2HKO from Specs Keldeo's Hydro Pump after Stealth Rock damage and Leftovers recovery. Psyshock hitting Sub CM Keldeo's unboosted defense stat super effectively neuters it as a threat to this team.
Slowbro's obscene physical bulk, Regenerator as well as vital resistances to Fire, Fighting, Psychic, Steel and Water make huge threats to the current team (Keldeo, Mega Medicham, Charizard X, Mega Metagross, SD Talonflame etc.) an irrelevance
Colbur Berry is a potentially interesting item choice that would allow you to body Weavile and Bisharp using Knock Off which are both considerable threats to this team (Weavile more so). If you were to go with this option I would run Fire Blast and a slightly customised EV spread to still avoid the 2HKO from Keldeo's Specs Hydro Pump without Leftovers, whilst being able to body Ferrothorn and Scizor switchins and allowing you to defeat Bisharps and Weavile Knocking you off. Slowbro also conveniently outspeeds a paralyzed Weavile by 1 point.
This also gives you a phenomenal check to Mega Gyarados which is one of the few physical attackers that could normally break Skarmory (with flinches), Slowbro and Gliscor.
As user Clair quite rightly mentioned, this change necessitates Defog over Spikes on Skarmory

With regards to Chansey I personally would run a Calm Nature as it is the team's primary special sponge and Skarmory, Gliscor and Slowbro between them cover every physical threat in the metagame. I would certainly run Yellow Magic over Toxic on Chansey to better cripple common switchins including Weavile, Mega Medicham, Terrakion, Kyu B etc. as well as defensive steel switchins - Heatran, Skarm, Scizor, Ferro, Jirachi etc. I would also switch to an EV spread of 8 HP / 252 Def / 248 SDef

I would consider shifting Stealth Rock from Chansey to either Skarmory or Gliscor (even to Megagross thinking about it) and adding Wish or Heal Bell in its place. Wish would keep Skarmory healthy throughout the match (important for teams packed with physical threats like Mega Pinsir, Bisharp, Weavile, Mega Gyarados etc.) and enable it to switch into Stealth Rock whilst keeping Sturdy intact. Furthermore Wish would grant Mega Metagross and Cube more opportunities to come in and nuke something. This alteration would allow you to consider Substitute + Leftovers Kyu-B instead of Life Orb Roost which makes it utter hell for Mega Sableye stall teams to deal with (Mega Sableye, Chansey, Skarm, Quagsire, Amoonguss, Heatran), allows it to avoid debilitating status from mons like Rotom W, Amoonguss, Chansey, as well as set up a free Substitute on these Pokemon, providing you invest up to 404 HP. Substitute also lends itself well to Kyu-B due to the offensive presence and then sheer number of switches it forces. Also every team I've faced with a Rotom W has lead with it against this team, allowing you to start with Substitute Kyurem B and take out 2 Pokemon at least.
Heal Bell is slightly less relevant due to Natural Cure and Gliscor being immune to status once Toxic Orb is activated, however lead Breloom is guaranteed to put a Pokemon to sleep and Slowbro is risking a Scald burn every time it switches into Keldeo.

Finally I can't help but think either Ice Punch or Bullet Punch would be preferable over Thunderpunch on Mega Metagross. Metagross attracts Hippowdon, Lando T, Garchomp, Gliscor etc. like a magnet and although they aren't threats to your team, they constantly pressure Skarmory into Defogging. Alternatively Bullet Punch allows you to KO weakened faster frail threats such as Torn T, Mega Lopunny, KOs unsuspecting Weavile which stands as one of the major threats to this team, and allows you to KO Pokemon like Gengar, HP Fire Latios, Mega Diancie without risking the speed tie, if you've used Hammer Arm or if you haven't managed to Mega yet.
Thunderpunch I can only see helping against Slowbro, Skarmory and Keldeo, none of which are significant problems to this team, with the changes I have suggested.

That's all I've got, I hope this rate was beneficial man and props on the team,
Peace,
~WhimsicottIsBroken

Also here's a full exportable of the team for anyone interested with the changes I've suggested;

Slowbro (F) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 SpD
Bold Nature
- Psyshock
- Scald
- Thunder Wave
- Fire Blast

Narcissus (Gliscor) (F) @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 244 HP / 8 Def / 196 SpD / 60 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Roost

The Trent Beast (Chansey) @ Eviolite
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Def / 248 SpD
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Wish

Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Hammer Arm
- Ice Punch
- Stealth Rock

Ravager (Kyurem-Black) @ Leftovers
EVs: 52 HP / 252 SpA / 204 Spe
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Substitute

Ironside (Skarmory) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Counter
- Whirlwind
- Roost

It pains me slightly to have Stealth Rock on Mega Metagross but I just couldn't find space on Gliscor, Skarm or Chansey's sets as all of the moves are crucial. Having said that Stealth Rock on Mega Metagross does have the advantage of being unexpected meaning Birdspam players don't generally Taunt it with Azelf, Mega Sableyes don't always switch in on it, and players will often sac their Defogger/Spinner once Skarm or Chansey has gone down, whichever one they were expecting to have Stealth Rock.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-434286796
Despite a crucial Hammer Arm miss on Rotom W, the team manages to pull through
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-434301526
Demolishing Birdspam
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-434330945
Somehow pulled through despite a ludicrous amount of hax for my opponent and a Paralyzed Weavile outspeeding Slowbro which is a bug with Showdown. Slowbro, not only one of the most adorable Pokemon ever but absolute MVP, holding the fort against Banded Weavile and Mega Medicham.
"" http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-434369382 I swear this team attracts bs hax

Edit; I guess you need Thunderpunch on Mega Metagross due to the bitch fits that SDef Stallbreaker Talonflame can give this team

Last edited:

Fireflame

Silksong when
is a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
The previous comments already mentioned much of what I wanted to say. However, for Gliscor, and EV spread of 244 HP / 8 Def / 200 SpD / 56 Spe is much more effective. The 8 Defense EVs guarantee that Gliscor avoids the OHKO from +2 Adamant Bisharp's Life Orb-boosted Sucker Punch. There's no point in not including this, since 8 EVs are nothing, and you still outspeed neutral-natured base 70s.

Empo

is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 30 Championis the Smogon Tour Season 33 Championwon the 17th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
Thank you all for the suggestions! I still think tenta is better because it can manage w/ zor better, and i like spin tho. Anyway i'll try slowbro :)

Last edited:
Sup Empo and DANN3, cool team you have built there.

Finally we have more Chansey on offense lol.
I like the idea of using Pursuit Mega Metagross and Life Orb Kyub to kill every Defogger and Spinner in the game except for maybe Reflect Type Starmie which is rare anyways.
I have nothing to add just that Skarmory should be Bold to reduce Foul Play damage and Kyurem-Bs HP IVs should be reduced to 29 to reduce the damage taken by Life Orb by 1. That will also reduce the HP recovered from Roost by 1. That means if you atk more than you Roost it is worth reducing HP IVs to 29.

I would like to point out that this is NOT an offense team. Far from it, actually. The team relies heavily on indirect damage from entry hazards, not from actual attackers. Get your terminology right.

Repeat: this is NOT offense. A more fitting title would be Serving the Stall (or Balance, IDRC). It is difficult, if not impossible, for you to put a Chansey on an "offense" team and call it a good one.

Anyways, you have an issue fighting enemy Stall, so you might wanna add a Stallbreaker. Gliscor by itself can't fight the Stall because Quagsire exists, so I reckon Grass Knot on Metagross could lure in Quagsire and swiftly dispatch it. Do me a favor and drop Pursuit – you have a horrendous time getting past Slowbro as well (cuz Kyu-B can't take a Scald). The Lati dragons are hardly a threat to you, I see not why you have Pursuit. If you really hate the Lati dragons THAT much, then replace Chansey with Ttar. Maybe then you can call it an offense team. Yea, you really seem to dislike Defog, but you know what, you can always get your Spikes back up.

Eh...sorry if I seemed salty in my review. Terrible day, that's all.

Hi man, this is a very nice team and grats on your peak! It was a weird coincidence that I met someone who was inspired by you and decided to ladder with you team (1502 when I met him), and he couldn't handle my lead mixed Thundrus. I started by knocking off his evo while he set SR, and started switching around afterwards. Gliscor almost got OHKO'd by HP Ice, Skarm and Tenta wouldn't bother and a life orb'd wouldn't do kindly to MetaMega. I was also surprised when the Kyurem was not scarfed which also made him a risk. No team is perfect but I'm curious about how or if you dealt with this kind of Thundrus before.

Hi congratulations on your peak :) I personally won't be able to get this team to work but then again I'm not as good a player either :P
This team has a bad matchup against mega medicham + bisharp combo. Mega gallade and Mega Loppuny give similar problems. Unfortunately I can't think of anything to add/ replace to fix this since one Pokemon alone cannot fix this :(
Slowbro can take on the fighting types but will be pursuit trapped by bisharp.
The thing is half your team is synergized to be offensive and the other half defensive which is balanced and good, however your Pokemon's typings don't synergize well enough to handle the numerous threats in ou. And the oras meta as you know is much more dependent on type synergy than any other meta.
But still congratulations, peaking this high in the ladder is a great achievement, don't let my depressive attitude get you down ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)