Chaos Mafia Postgame

Chaos Mafia

Welcome to the postgame for Chaos Mafia, the small mafia game hosted by Earthworm and Gmax. In this thread we will discuss the game in depth. The postgame will be separated into five parts, and they are as follows:

[jump=design]I) Design[/jump]
[jump=roles]II) Roles[/jump]
[jump=game]III) The Game[/jump]
[jump=awards]IV) Awards[/jump]
[jump=conclusion]V) Conclusion[/jump]

I hope you enjoy reading it!

[a]design[/a]Design

The idea of hosting a chaotic mafia first occurred to me when I was discussing what possible broken roles would be with Gmax. We originally discussed the idea of a game with multiple alliance changers (‘recruiters’ or ‘converters’). Before long, we discovered that this idea might not actually be bad, as long as everyone in it was aware that crazy stuff was going to happen (i.e. throwing it into a regular game would have awful results). At this point, we decided that we were going to construct a game where people knew that they were going to be in for a chaotic game, and that unlike previous games they shouldn’t expect things to be relatively the same as other games.

Together, we came up with many powerful standard and non-standard role ideas, such as a wolf that doesn’t appear on the player list, a kidnapper with yes/no questions, and a combination single-target thief + inspector. By the time we finished creating roles, we had a potentially very chaotic game, and we made many modifications and added ways for roles to be increasingly confusing and chaotic, such as alliance checkers that always returned the incorrect result, items that made votes count for decimal amounts, and the potential for misleading items and items that made votes count negative. Almost no aspect of the game could be fully trusted to remain the same, with the potential for people to swap roles, change win conditions, and prematurely end days with various ways to kill.

We started by figuring out the approximate numbers of the teams, and we came up with the neutrals early on, as well as the idea to include roles from past games. We ended up using the numbers 12 villagers, 4 on each mafia and 4 neutrals (including Samara). We knew pretty much for certain that Samara was never going to vote until very late (if at all), and we also knew that Homer probably wasn’t going to be voting often early, so this gave the village the numbers advantage they needed to win the lynch in the event of a mafia alliance. After this, we worked out what the mafias would have on their teams, and we decided on mafia1 having a converter + hooker, and mafia2 having a converter + bodyguard. We spent long time thinking about possible roles that the Joker could have, and we ended up giving him something that, in hindsight, was rather weak. He also had control over the kill, so if there was a conflict for some reason, he would be able to make the decision himself. We also gave this to Agent Smith on the other team, who also had redirection powers. The other two roles we ended up giving the Insane were the simultaneous information and item gaining role (Denethor) and the glass cannon role (Cthun).

The Sophisticated were given a very strong role in the resurrector, who also had priority modification ability with unlimited uses. The priority modification ability was a last minute addition, since we thought it wouldn’t be a good idea to put a role in that can’t do anything until someone on his team dies; I’m not sure if it was the best possible addition but it made sense as Cadmus Peverell is a magician! Q was added as well, and I thought his role was really good. He was originally able to create the same item over and over, but Gmax decided to restrict it to one of each item, which was most likely a good idea.

Most of the village was created last. Krakatoa (mass-martyr), Lelouch (converter), and Citizen of Geesthacht were the first to be decided upon. We then progressed to the idea of having lots of people who all thought they were inspectors, but some were given wrong or no results (Nicholas Angel, Chief Wiggum), and the others all had bizarre twists to them as well (Taz). Lastly, The Moon and Skullkid from Zelda Mafia were added, as well as an unlimited rogue from Fire Emblem Mafia, the bodyguard with a posting restriction from Viva la Mafia (screw you Toothache), the miller, and a new role which used an alias in a non-anonymous mafia that could become a limited vigilante.

We changed a couple of things, like adding Yes / No questions to Skullkid’s role to make him able to do something extra, and then we finalised the game by distributing the necessary items, as well as one very gimmicky item without a name that we put on the miller. The game was set to be very interesting, and even before it started I knew things were going to be pretty chaotic and was fully expecting a side – though I had no idea which – to take over the game from (I estimated) around Day 2. At this point, we wrote all the Role PMs. See the design sheet in the spreadsheet to see the basic outline of the design.

[a]roles[/a]Roles

The roles in this game were obviously meant to cause chaos, whether that meant from being perceived as overpowered or just messing with people’s minds. I think we achieved this, as everything was very confusing for most players up until near the end of the game. Here are the roles, categorised into their teams.

The Assortment of Random Characters

Dear Hipmonlee,
You are Lelouch.

You were born into royalty, your rightful position being the King of the nation that conquered the majority of the world: Britannia. However, your family fell victim to royal assassinations, and your position became one of a diplomatic hostage at an early age. You are a natural genius, and you have since decided to lead what you see as a noble and just cause - fighting for peace. You were originally fighting a losing battle, but you came into contact with an entity named C.C. from whom you have gained a limited mind control power called Geass. With this tool you are now very capable of achieving your ultimate goal of world peace - there are still obstacles that must be dealt with, however.

You are able to recruit users to your side at night, but only under certain conditions. In order to keep your identity concealed, you wear a mask to hide your face and name yourself Zero. Once you have the item called the Mask and it is equipped, you may send a night PM entitled Night X - Use the Geass to take Recruit USER. This user will have their win condition changed to 'You win if Lelouch's side wins' (with your side replacing 'Lelouch's side'). Once you successfully recruit someone, that player will receive the Mask.

You win if the Assortment of Random Characters wins.
This was the village’s most powerful weapon against the other sides. It should be noted that I originally had planned to keep item moving the same as in my previous game, where you could only pass them around at night. This would have the restriction I had planned, a three night delay between recruits. We forgot about this and just used the day or night passing system which led to this role being more powerful than intended. It should also be noted that I had forgotten that we were going to ban recruiters from recruiting other recruiters when I wrote these role PMs, so they ended up rather ambiguous as to whether they could or not… I decided to keep it a secret anyway. The idea behind this role was to give the village a way to either get neutrals, mafia, or previously recruited villagers on their side. This was the only ‘unlimited’ recruiter, but it was heavily prone to both thieves and death, considering it would need to presumably ‘come out’ to come into possession of the Mask, and then it would probably get stolen from or killed since roles that need items are usually important. Side-changing is definitely something very chaotic that can destroy or at least sway a game very heavily into one side’s advantage.

Dear AlphaBravo,
You are a Citizen of Geesthacht.

You have no night power. However, you should use your wit and intelligence to find enemies during the day, and blow them up. To do this, post BLOW UP USER in bold, red, and underlined font in all capital letters. In order to use this ability, however, you or your target must be in possession of a Lit Candle. You and your target will both die in the explosion caused.

You have the Candle. The Candle is an item. While holding this item, posting I GOT A LIGHT in the main thread in uppercase bold red underlined font during the day will light the Candle.

This was the first role from a previous game that we decided to use. Day killers are pretty chaotic, and this role was quite powerful despite how it looks to be. The candle gained an additional property when lit; it allowed the holder to see anyone that targeted them at night and in return tells the people that targeted the Citizen that they were holding a lit candle. Posting I GOT A LIGHT would obviously give away that this was a Citizen of Geesthacht unless it was perceived as a joke, and I suppose it would be possible for a bunch of other people to do it as well to confuse enemies. Only this role could use the BLOW UP USER ability, but anyone could light the candle. Once blown up, the Citizen of Geesthacht would also immediately end the day. The kill was entirely unblockable.

Dear HD,
You are Chief Wiggum.

You are the Chief of Police of the Springfield Police Department. Although you are morbidly obese, dim-witted, ignorant, grossly incompetent, lazy, and with a seemingly greater concern for food than law enforcement, you have been selected as one of the members of the Assortment of Random Characters, and you don't intend to let them down.

You have the power to arrest users at night and interrogate them. You may send a night PM entitled Night X - Take USER away, toys. You will locate this user, take them into custody, and interrogate them before releasing them again, all before the night is over. After you're through with them, you will hopefully have obtained key details about their role in this game.

Chief Wiggum thought he was the inspector, but come on, how can Chief Wiggum possibly find out anything about anyone?

Chief Wiggum: [sees Fat Tony and his mobsters dragging a body wrapped in a sheet to the lake] Uh sorry, sorry, no dumping in the lake!
Fat Tony: Fine, I will put my *yard trimmings* in a car compactor.
[he and the mobsters walk off with the body]
Lou: Uh, Chief, I think there was a dead body in there.
Chief Wiggum: I thought that too, until he said yard trimmings. You gotta learn to listen, Lou.

He was actually the village thief; he confiscated the user’s “toys”. I assumed the owner of the role would work this out after he got no results but an item or two after a couple of nights. This role contributed to what I thought would be chaotic; the number of users that would think that they are the village inspector was set to be large, and no-one was a straightforward inspector.

Dear Umbreon Dan,
You are Oddjob.

You are the strong and silent type, never even uttering a single word during your appearance in 'Goldfinger'. You have a unique weapon, a bowler hat with concealed blades, that you don't hesitate to use. As the personal bodyguard of Auric Goldfinger, you are an extremely loyal man. He dispatched you to Cuba to support a faction of his associates, the Assortment of Random Characters.

At Night, you may send a PM entitled "NIGHT x – Guarding USER's mansion" You will make sure that no assassins will enter your targets mansion, making him immune to any kind of kill during the Night. You may guard your own mansion. Additionally, your posts in the main thread may only contain images, including your lynch votes. Should you break this restriction once, you will be silenced for the remainder of the game.

We brought back Oddjob from Viva la Mafia because of Toothache’s retarded posting gimmick, which we decided to enforce for this game. Basically this was the village bodyguard. There’s nothing much to say that isn’t already said in the role PM; he could protect anyone including himself, he could only post in images in the main thread (no text), and he became permanently silenced if he broke this once. He could lynch through writing text in the images.

Dear billymills (with a lowercase B!),
You are Taz.

Taz, the Tasmanian Devil. You're a semi-sentient tornado, that is always hungry, always whirling, highly excitable, and a complete maniac. You're not the smartest Devil out there, though who cares eh, being smart never filled your stomach. You were ripping up the world, travelling in your never-ending quest for food, when you met a troupe of people, an Assortment of Random Characters, and you saw with them an Assortment of Random Kinds Of Food the likes of which you had never seen before. You could not steal it from them for they were mighty, but they agreed to give you a large portion if you assisted them in the war.

Using your ability to spin incredibly quickly, you can easily make users lose track of their role PMs. At night, you my send a PM entitled Night X - Spinning around USER1 and USER2. One of these users will receive the other user's role PM. This will be a random process and you will not be informed of which user received the other's role PM. Only the user receiving the role PM will receive any indication of this ability's use.

Taz was pretty close to a real inspector, except his role was luck based in a way. This role could be used fairly well to clean villagers, but it was risky to use to find mafia. There were a number of ways that this could be used efficiently to actually get results on people, such as repeatedly using the same “useless villager” to take a 50/50 shot of getting a result on someone new. I thought this role was pretty interesting and definitely chaotic, and I looked forward to seeing how it worked out!

Dear Mr.378,
You are Nicholas Angel.

Police Constable Nicholas Angel: born and schooled in London, graduated Canterbury University in 1993 with a double first in Politics and Sociology. Attended Hendon College of Police Training. Displayed great aptitude in field exercises, notably Urban Pacification and Riot Control. Academically excelled in theoretical course work and final year examinations. Received a Baton of Honour, graduated with distinction into the Metropolitan Police Service and quickly established an effectiveness and popularity within the community. Proceeded to improve skill base with courses in advanced driving... and advanced cycling. He became heavily involved in a number of extra-vocational activities and to this day, he holds the Met record for the hundred metre dash. In 2001, he began active duty with the renowned SO19 Armed Response Unit and received a Bravery Award for efforts in the resolution of Operation Crackdown. In the last twelve months, he has received nine special commendations, achieved highest arrest record for any officer in the Met and sustained three injuries in the line of duty, most recently in December when wounded by a man dressed as Father Christmas.

You've been sent into the fray on the side of justice once more. Using your professional analysis skills, you can judge the intentions of a given user simply by watching them on the street. At night, you may send a PM entitled Night X - Watching the way USER walks. You will locate that user during the night and watch how they walk, gaining their alignment by the end of the night. You have also picked up a Mask whilst fighting crime recently. You wonder who it belongs to.

You have the Mask. The Mask is an item. During any night that you are holding this item, you may send a PM entitled 'Night X - Equipping Mask'. This will equip the Mask. Equipping the Mask has one of the lowest priorities. While the Mask is equipped, any inspectors that attempt to inspect you will be told that the user's face was obscured instead of receiving an inspection result.

This role was an insane alliance checker (his results would always come up the reverse of what they should, and if he inspected a villager it would randomly select a mafia side to turn up as) allied with the village. We decided to give him the Mask so that he could check Lelouch and find out he is actually on the mafia! This would presumably cause chaos and give the village even more troubles. However, this would be a useful role if the owner of the role figured it out fast enough, which would either take a mislynch or a wrong death, as long as they questioned their sanity and not the validity of the death PM.

Dear Kannon,
You are Krakatoa.

Yeah you read it right, you're an island. A small island in the Indian Ocean, with an active volcano on it to be precise. The last time you really erupted, on August 27, 1883, the effects were catastrophic, and were felt across the world. Global temperatures dropped by 1.2 deg. C, over 30,000 people died because of tsunamis, ash, and pyroclastic flows, and the shockwaves you generated were felt around the world for 5 days. You've been feeling the 126 year itch of late... There's something in the air... It's ERUPTION time.

When you feel the time is right, you may PM the hosts with Night X - Erupting. You will...erupt. The brilliant spectacle of light and sound that you create by erupting will draw everyone's attention to you, and EVERYONE will target you that night in an attempt to stop you destroying everything. It takes 126 years to build up such an eruption, so you may only use it once every 126 years. You have the option to make one user immune to your ability by giving your only pair of Ear Muffs to them. Instead of hearing the ridiculously loud eruption, they'll simply continue on with whatever they happened to be doing that night.

You have the Ear Muffs. The Ear Muffs is an item. While holding this item, you will not be distracted by loud noises at night.

Krakatoa was a major role on the village, and was intended to be something to balance it out against all the major threats on the opposing teams. It was basically a role that caused every single role in the game to target Krakatoa instead of whoever they were targeting, even if their role specified more than one target. Obviously such a powerful role could only be used once in the game. The end result of this, if timed right, would basically give the village two lynches in a row. However, there was also a good chance that this role would end up being recruited by one of the mafias or by Dracula, which was a rather chaotic possibility! The Ear Muffs only had one purpose, and that was to give a single player the ability to complete their ability successfully. If recruited by Dracula, they would have an additional impact by being important to the new win condition, though.

Dear Afroninja22,
You are The Moon.

You are the moon, which Skullkid has put a curse on to control. This is his way of threatening the land of Termina.

As an inanimate object, you do not have a night role, but your power is great. At night, Skullkid can make use of your ability. The premise: he can send people to the moon. This effectively removes them from the game for 3 nights. Any person on the moon is unable to use any abilities or vote, or even post in the topic. However, they can also not be the target of any abilities. If the Moon is killed while holding a user, the user dies as well. Only one user may be on the Moon at once. It also appears that someone has left a Fork on your surface.

You have the Fork. The Fork is an item. You may use it for fine dining if you go out to a restaurant at night. During the day, if you are holding the Fork your vote will count for an increased amount. The more utensils you collect, the more your vote will count for.

The Moon was basically a Kraken role which was holding an item it wasn’t holding in Zelda Mafia, but other than that it was the same. We decided that this role would be a good role to have on the village in such a chaotic game. The Fork gave an extra .1 votes, or with another utensil the combination would add to .5 (rather than .2), or with all three, the total extra votes would be 1. The role is pretty straightforward and is explained in detail in the role PM.

Dear Jimbo,
You are Skullkid.

You were once an innocent but mischeivous forest imp, but now things have gone sour. After stealing Majora's Mask, you put it on, and the spirit of Majora has overwhelmed you, filling you with greed and ambition to complete the triforce for yourself. You know this will be no easy task however, so you have assembled a team to work for you, not necessarily by will - the Assortment of Random Characters.

You also have a special power: you control the Moon. You are the one who will activate his ability at night by pming the hosts with Night [x] - Moon [user]. You are not quite sure of what this does or how to use it, but the moon itself will have the answers. Additionally, you will be able to obtain your own answers through your imp magic. During any night where you aren't activating the Moon's ability, you may send a PM entitled Night X - Summoning Magic to Answer Question. In the body of the PM, you should ask a single question to which the answer can only be yes or no, and you will receive the answer by the next morning.

Skullkid was the closest the village had to a proper inspector, and he could only receive Yes or No answers to whatever he asked. However, the questions were completely unrestricted. Additionally, Skullkid was the one capable of sending people to the Moon role (one at a time). This role was also taken from Zelda Mafia and then given an extra ability in exchange for the list of the Wise (since the Wise weren’t in this game). This role was (or at least should have been) a key role to the village’s success.

Dear macle,
You are Jason Bourne.

"I can tell you the license plate numbers of all six cars outside. I can tell you that our waitress is left-handed and the guy sitting up at the counter weighs two hundred fifteen pounds and knows how to handle himself. I know the best place to look for a gun is the cab of the gray truck outside, and at this altitude, I can run flat out for a half mile before my hands start shaking. Now why would I know that? How can I know that and not know who I am?" You were part of a project called Treadstone, where agents were turned into ultimate assassins. You were shot while on a mission and you lost your memory. Now you've decided to join the Assortment of Random Characters in their struggle against evil - you just hope they realise that you're on their side.

Because of your shady past, nobody that inspects you will ever come up with the correct result. In fact, even if the same inspector tries to work out your side twice, there is a chance that they won't come up with the same result both times. It's up to you to convince your allies that you're on their side. Additionally, before any vote modifiers you may be subjected to, your vote during the day will count for negative one.

You have the

Jason Bourne was a Miller type role (one that always comes up bad on inspection but is actually good). Not only this, but his role claim should have been incredibly convenient to what he did because of his negative vote. I also tried to confuse him by adding an item with no name or description, which gave the holder an extra .1 votes. It had no other function in the game but to break tied votes. When inspected by a full role PM inspector like Taz or Denethor, a result where the actual details regarding the side in the flavour were modified would appear, but the negative vote part would remain. This character specifically fit the role because I think he could easily be Sophisticated, Insane, or (obviously) a random character. Millers are chaotic, and I liked this addition to the game.

Dear Altair,
You are Hannibal Smith.

You're the brains of the A-team. You know what they say about the A-team? No one ever dies. That's all your doing. Someone has contacted the mysterious Chinese to hire the A-team, but he only had enough money for one of you. You will be your money's worth though!

You have a plan. Once per night, you may PM the host with "Night X - Plan USER". This user and his faction will be the target of your master plan. If anyone allied with him successfully kills you, you will be able to resurrect at any point of time later (Night/Day X - Rise), rather than stay dead. Like you did one time during your funeral. You will be revived

You have the Spoon. Actually, you don't, since there is no spoon. (You do actually have an item called the Spoon)

I’m not sure why this PM cuts off at revived, I probably forgot to write the rest of that line. The Spoon was another utensil that does the same thing as the Fork, and the rogue ability could be used as many times as Hannibal died. If he was lucky, he might have been able to rise twice, which would be pretty chaotic I think! This was taken from Fire Emblem Mafia pretty much directly.

Dear GoldenKnight14,
You are Bryan.

Unfortunately, when the leader of the Assortment of Random Characters was looking for things, characters, and people to join his alliance, he had significant difficulty finding a final recruit. He ended up choosing you, a seemingly insignificant person from Canada. However, while to most people you may appear fairly useless, with the right tools you could make a large impact in this war.

Using your Internet access, you have created an anonymous alias for yourself. For the duration of the game, unless you choose to reveal yourself to others, you will be known as 'robots' on the player list. If you want to post something, from lynch votes to messages, you may send a PM entitled Night/Day X - Posting, and the contents of the message will be posted by the hosts with an indication that the message was sent by 'robots'.You have also scoured your apartment for weapons and you found something useful in the freezer.

You have the Frozen Bag of Food. The Frozen Bag of Food is an item. It cannot be given away or stolen. If you are holding the Frozen Bag of Food and someone attempts to steal from you, that user will not be able to steal any item during the next night as their hands will be chilled to the bone. If you are holding this item along with the Knife, Spoon, and Fork, you will be able to eat the food and gain new abilities.

This role was an anonymous alias in a non-anonymous game. It also had the capability of becoming a vigilante, which was then passed on in the form of the Frozen Bag of Food. If that bag was opened with two utensils, it would disappear and the current holder would be granted a one-time night kill and a one-time day kill, which would immediately end the day it was used on. The rest of the role was pretty straightforward. It was up to the owner of the role to decide whether they revealed who they were or kept it a secret.

And that does it for the Assortment of Random Characters’ original line-up!

The Sophisticated

Dear moot,
You are Cadmus Peverell.

Cadmus Peverell. One of the three Peverell brothers from The Tale of The Three Brothers. While opinions vary as to whether you created the Resurrection Stone on your own, or if it was given to you by death when you met him one night on a bridge, the fact of the matter is that at some point, you owned it. Using it, you brought your beloved back to life only to find that she was not truly alive... As you were about to leave this world in you grief, a certain toad fixed you with a strange hypnotic stare, and he convinced you that life still held something for you. You will aid his faction, The Sophisticated, in this war.

What people didn't know about the stone you possess is that it actually has the ability to permanently resurrect once. At night, you may send a PM entitled Night X - Resurrecting USER by the power of the Stone. The user you select must be dead. That user will be resurrected. Once you have used this ability once, you will examine the stone to determine whether it can resurrect again. Additionally, on any night you do not perform a resurrection, you may use magic to influence the priority of other users' abilities by sending a PM entitled Night X - Slow / Hasten USER. You may choose whether to slow or hasten the user.

You win if the Sophisticated win.
This role was a relatively unknown Harry Potter character with the ability to resurrect once fully and once for a single day and a single night. He wasn’t aware of the capabilities of his resurrection, but it would be hinted to him through the PMs I sent him after he used his ability. If he attempted a third resurrection, he would kill himself. The alternative ability was a priority modifier ability which could basically be used to make the team’s recruits go last or to make their kills unblockable, both of which are very valid and useful abilities in this game and aptly suited to the theme in my opinion!

Dear Fishin,
You are The Hypnotoad.

And the grand prize winner... THE HYPNOTOAD. ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD. You have the capability to sway users from their original decision in choosing a side. In other words, you can convert people to your side at night by sending a PM entitled Night X - Hypnotising USER. The user you select will immediately gain a new win condition: 'You win if The Hypnotoad's side wins' (with your side replacing 'The Hypnotoad's side'). However, this takes a significant amount of mental effort, and therefore can only be used once in three nights. That means once during nights 0-2, once during nights 3-5, and once during nights 6-8. However, on any night where you aren't attempting to hypnotise a user, you may send a PM entitled Night X - Watching over USER. You will watch this user all night, and anyone attempting to kill the user will be warded off by your mental powers.

The Hypnotoad was a recruiter that had the second highest priority, below the Insane recruiter (lower priority is always better). As mentioned when I was commenting on Lelouch, recruiters cause a lot of disruption in a game if used well. They could very easily greatly contribute to the chaos factor in Chaos Mafia. The restriction placed was much greater than on the Insane’s, so I think that the Insane’s recruiter role was much stronger. Also, the Hypnotoad was unable to protect itself.

Dear GTS,
You are Agent Smith.

"I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You're a plague and we are the cure."
You are Agent Smith, an AI program that was inserted the Matrix programmed to keep order within the system by terminating troublesome programs and human avatars which would otherwise bring instability to the simulated reality. You have formed an alliance with a few others who you consider to be useful to your purpose, and they will aid you in this war.

You have the ability to take over a user's body in the Matrix temporarily. At night, you may send a PM entitled Night X - Taking over USER1 and aiming at USER2. User 1's ability will now target User 2. If User 1's ability specifies more than one target, both will aim at the same target.

This role was from You-choose-it Mafia (my role in fact) and it basically did exactly the same thing, except it could redirect anything to anything (including kills). Redirectors are pretty strong, and definitely can cause chaos if used in combination with the right information. This role also had the option of choosing who to kill for the team above the others on the team (if Agent Smith sent the nightly kill in and someone else did as well, then this one would take priority). Unlimited, unrestricted redirectors are pretty strong, and this role was no exception!

Dear asim,
You are Q.

You're the man responsible for the creation of most of Bond's arsenal of gadgetry. It goes without saying that you are a genius. Well, not even you could comprehend just how a toad could hypnotise you into working with him. Well, however this may have come about, you will be working with this toad's faction, The Sophisticated to help them win the war.

Your item designing capabilities will be highly prized this game. Every night you may PM the hosts stating Night X - Creating ITEM_NAME. You may decide what to call your invention. The ability of each item you build must be unique. Each item may only have one ability. The content of the PM should clearly state a desired item description, and the ability of the item. The hosts will determine whether your description is accepted. Your items may have the following abilities:-
- Holder's vote counts negatively and the holder knows it.
- Holder's vote counts negatively and the holder does not know it.
- Holder's vote counts double.
- Holder's vote in the thread is void, he must vote by PM.
- Allows holder to send a PM titled Night X - <You Decide> USER, USER's night action will fail. Disappears after one use.
- Allows holder to send a PM titled Night X - <You Decide> USER, the holder will discover USER's alliance. Disappears after one use.
- Allows holder to survive one murderous attack.
You will receive the item of your choice at the beginning of the day. Alternatively, you may PM the hosts with Night X - Swapping Items of USER 1 and USER 2. The result is obvious... You many only use one of these abilities on any given night.

The powered up thief and item creator on the Sophisticated was Q. He could create one of each of the items listed, and he was allowed to write ambiguous item descriptions as long as they didn’t blatantly lie. Basically, he could say ‘This item may kill every user in the game once used.’ if he wanted, he just had to maintain uncertainty. I think this role had a lot of potential, and it definitely fit the Sophisticated side! Q was probably one of my favourite roles in the game.

Overall, the Sophisticated had a recruiter + BG, a resurrector + priority modifier, a redirector, and an item creator + thief, which is a pretty strong line-up of roles! I think they were reasonably well balanced with the Insane and the ARC, but some say that this side was far stronger than the others. Next up is..:

The Insane

Dear LightWolf,
You are Mewtwo.

You are a genetically modified super powerful descendant of the legendary Pokemon known as Mew. You were originally created to be the strongest of all Pokemon, and to serve a human master. However, you surpassed your expectations and overthrew your master, becoming a Pokemon unwilling to bend to the will of any trainer. Your extremely well-developed psychic abilities have drawn much attention to you, and you eventually chose to join The Joker in his mission to cause chaos all over the world.

Your psychic powers will come in handy this game. You have the ability to take control of users' minds and force them to work for your side. At night, you may send a PM entitled Night X - Psychic USER. You will use your powers to change their win condition to 'You win if Mewtwo's side wins' (with your side replacing 'Mewtwo's side'). Unfortunately, your Psychic attack only has 2 PP remaining, so you may only use this ability twice. However, you have another attack with plenty of PP remaining that you may use on any night that you do not recruit a user. At night, you may send a PM entitled Night X - Using Telekinesis to freeze USER where they are. That user will be unable to complete a night action during that night.

You win if the Insane win.
Two instant recruits and role prevention were the abilities given to the most powerful Pokémon, Mewtwo. Mewtwo was meant to be one of the most powerful roles in the game, having two very strong abilities which could probably have won him the game as a neutral with no team (to begin with). In my opinion, this was definitely the strongest recruiter, which helped make up for his team’s somewhat lacklustre other roles.

Dear porygon3,
You are The Joker.

"I just did what I do best. I took your little plan and I turned it on itself. Look what I did to this city with a few drums of gas and a couple of bullets. Hmmm? You know... You know what I've noticed? Nobody panics when things go 'according to plan.' Even if the plan is horrifying! If, tomorrow, I tell the press that, like, a gang banger will get shot, or a truckload of soldiers will be blown up, nobody panics, because it's all 'part of the plan.' But when I say that one little old mayor will die, well then everyone loses their minds! Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. I'm an agent of chaos. Oh, and you know the thing about chaos? It's fair!"
You are a psychopathic, mass murdering, schizophrenic clown with no empathy for other entities. All you're interested in doing is having fun. You've rounded up a few important, super powerful beings and formed a team that you've decided to name the Insane. With them, you intend to bring chaos upon this game - that's what life is, after all: a game.

Win or lose, your main objective in this game is to introduce chaos. Therefore, at night you may send a PM entitled Night X - Bring about chaos for USER1, USER2, and USER3. Coins will be flipped, yadda yadda yadda. The important thing is, two of them will have their roles switched around (not their win conditions, only their powers) and the other will die. It's up to you how you use it, but you can only do it once. You also have a Knife with you. You've decided you won't bother using it to hurt anyone, but at least it makes you look threatening!

You have the Knife. The Knife is an item. While you can use it to cut meat and other food, you may prefer to use it to intimidate people. If you are holding the Knife during the day, your vote will count for an increased amount. Since you would obviously look even more intimidating if you were holding other utensils, your vote will count for an even greater amount the more utensils you get your hands on.

The Joker was probably underpowered to be honest. His role definitely had a strong capability to create chaos in the game, and the Knife gave him an extra .1 votes, but I think that I should have given The Joker an additional ability to balance the teams better. Nevertheless, the bring about chaos ability was rather strong and very useful if it was used correctly.

Dear Accent,
You are Cthun.

"Something spoke. Not English. Something that sounded like 'Cthun, cthun, deeyanna, deyanna.' But then . . . Christ, then it said my name. It said, 'Cthun, N., deeyanna, N.' I think I screamed, but I'm not sure, because by then the wind had become a gale that was roaring in my ears. I should have screamed. I had every right to scream. Because it knew my name! That grotesque, unnamable thing knew my name!"
You aren't from this world, that's for sure. Your presence in this world is only possible if you can get through that gate in Ackerman's Field. The cursed just keep coming, they keep passing it on, inducing what the psychologists determine is Obsessive Compulsive Disorder - but that's what you want them to think. You want them to tell themselves that Cthun doesn't exist, it's just something the patient made up after reading some horror story. They'll come and investigate the field for themselves, and that's when you'll escape. The thousands of years of being trapped in an alternate universe will be over. When you finally get the opportunity, you'll enter the world and it will never be the same again.

There will be a single user destined to be the one responsible for your release, and it is up to you who that is. At the same time, however, you must select someone to place the curse on. At night, you may send a PM entitled Night X - Sealing USER1's destiny and Cursing USER2. Neither user may be on your team. The Curse works as follows: User 2 will receive a PM at the end of the next day telling them that they MUST target someone with their ability, or if they have no ability, to send a PM entitled Night X - Target USER. They will be informed that the penalty for not doing this is death. Their ability, if any, will not do anything that night, and the user won't be aware of this. The user they target will be given the curse, receive the same PM, and be under the same restrictions. This process will continue until the curse finally reaches User 1, who will die upon receiving the curse. If this occurs, you will gain entry into the world and be given your powers. If the cursed user is ever lynched, or if the destined user is killed by something other than the curse, you may resend the original PM. Otherwise, this ability can only be used once. You will be informed if this happens.

Cthun is a character from a Stephen King book (the story from which it was taken from was also made into an animated thing but the book is better) that is basically from another terrible world. The ability given to Cthun is themed by the story in the book, and it basically sets up Cthun to escape into the real world with all of its insane powers. The powers Cthun would gain from the ability going off were three one use abilities: permanent hooker, permanent silencer, and permanent control of another player’s night role. In addition, the role provided a transferable hooker and a one time kill. Once Cthun died, the curse wore off, though. I thought this role was decent, but not amazing until the ability got set off, at which point it would be incredibly strong.

Dear Exarius,
You are Denethor.

Denethor, son of Ecthelion, the last Steward of Gondor. You were a strong-willed, proud man, father of Boromir and Faramir. You learned of the Palantir of Minas Tirith when you became the Steward. You attempted to judge Sauron's strength using the Palantir, but alas, Sauron was too strong. He tricked you into believing you had full control over it, and showed you false visions that convinced you that the situation was far better than it actually was. Your efforts with the Palantir and what it revealed weakened your body and mind. The death of your beloved son Boromir was the straw that broke the camel's back, it pushed you over the edge. You are now insane...

As a Steward, you have command over a great number of soldiers. You may command these soldiers to do your bidding during the night. At night, you may send a PM entitled Night X - Commanding a raid on USER's village. Your spies will gather information about the user and report back, and your soldiers will bring back anything of value they find on that user. By the beginning of the next day, you will have received the user's role PM and any items they were holding.

Denethor was a plain thief + inspector role that used both with a single target on the same night. I thought this was a pretty strong role despite it being plain, and I expected it to be very valuable to the Insane. With this role in addition to the other three; overall the Insane had a lot of useful abilities and some really powerful weapons.

The Neutrals

Dear crabnebula,
You are Dracula.

You've lived a long, long life thanks to your dark arts that allowed you to return from death. All you need to survive is the blood of people, and with the world population growing at its current rate, your source of food likely won't run out anytime soon. You've seen people come and go, empires rise and fall, and nothing is new to you. You view people with disdain, pitying them for their weaknesses, and their inability to give in to their darker sides. The recent disturbance has caught your interest though. You have decided to cast yourself into the fray.

You have many powers, but the one that you plan to utilise in this war is your ability to control minds, and to sway people's wills. At night, you may send a PM entitled Night X - Biting into USER's neck. That user will become one of your descendants. Their win condition will be changed to a new one that depends on their role and their abilities. Some may have a better chance if you convert them early, while others may benefit from being converted late. They will not be informed of your existence, but they may be able to discern it from relevant flavour. You only have a limited amount of power remaining, and so you can only use this ability twice during the game. However, before you use this ability for the first time, you cannot be killed at night.

You win if at least one of your descendants wins.
Dracula was a BPV until he recruited to Neutral descendant (the descendant part was permanent, but the win condition part wasn’t, i.e. if re-recruited, a descendant would be a descendant that wins with whichever side they were recruited to). Each player that could have their side changed (basically, not any recruiter) had a custom win condition which can all be viewed in the spreadsheet. Dracula didn’t need to be alive to be able to win, but he would be able to support his descendant with his vote. He just needed to continue the vampire race on by biting people and having them win. Converting to neutral is a pretty chaotic ability I think, with a great potential to ‘ruin’ a game.

Dear blue_light,
You are Sylar.

You are the most deadliest person in Montreal right now. However, your only weakness is that you cannot trust others. This makes sure that you remain a one-man-army.

You have the ability to kill and steal other people's powers. At night you can send a PM to the hosts with the title Night (x) - murdering (user). That user will then die and if applicaple, you will recieve their power from that night onwards. You start killing from Night 1 onwards and kill every alternate night.

You win if you survive the game and everyone else dies.
Sylar from Mafia mafia, complete with non-existent word and misspellings from the original. In a mafia game with such ridiculously powerful abilities, Sylar had the capability to become a monster if he played well enough. If he gained recruiter, he would change people’s win conditions to ‘You win if you survive.’ There was no ability that Sylar couldn’t gain except Dracula’s BPV because he obviously couldn’t kill through it. This role had the tools needed to be completely and utterly chaotic and extremely powerful, and in addition it was a neutral wolf role.

Dear Lesm46,
You are Homer Simpson.

You are a stereotypical idiot and over the years you have done so many things that nobody knows what you’re best at. For the purposes of this game you’ll be good at pretty much everything.

At night, you may PM the hosts with ‘Night (x) – Watching TV’. If you do this, you will be immune to all night abilities but you will be unable to post a lynch vote the next day. This ability cannot be used at the same time as any other abilities. You cannot hold items. At the end of each day you will receive an ability that you may use for the next day / night. This ability will change at the end of every day.

You win if the Simpsons win. The Simpsons win if all users who are not one of the following characters die:
Homer Simpson
Marge Simpson
Bart Simpson
Lisa Simpson
Maggie Simpson
The other Simpsons weren’t in the game. This role is basically taken directly from Simpsons Mafia, like Sylar from Mafia mafia, with exactly the same role PM. The roles he would obtain cycled from Mayor Vote to Persuade to Kill to Mayor Vote etc in that order. Watching TV was the highest priority ability in the game (Krakatoa wouldn’t affect it even if it was higher, anyway) meaning Homer was indeed immune to everything, with one exception: Samara would appear on TV if she targeted Homer with her ability. The inability to hold items was a kind of blessing in this game where there was the chance for multiple negative vote items to be created, which meant that if Homer lasted until the end, there was a high likelihood of him winning. I still think this is a very fun role for a half-wolf neutral, and I enjoyed being able to put it into this game, despite it maybe being not quite as chaotic as other roles.

Dear imperfectluck,
You are Samara.

As a child, you were abandoned by your insane mother. You were adopted by a loving family, who raised you as their own child. Your ability of projected thermography allowed you to burn images into the minds of others. You tortured everyone and everything around you with this ability, burning images of torture, death and horror into their minds, eventually causing Anna Morgan, your adoptive mother, to throw you into a well, killing you, and commit suicide. You will make them pay for what happened to you. You'll make them ALL pay.

Everyone thinks you're dead. Well then, dead you'll act. You will not appear on the player's list. However, you may be targeted by all night roles, and by lynch votes as well. Every night you may PM the hosts with "Night X - Telling USER s/he will die". That user will receive a PM at the beginning of the following day telling them that you appeared to them during the night and told them that they will die. At the end of that day, they will die.

You win if you are the last user alive and you have killed at least 3 people.
This was most likely the most controversial role in the game, a wolf that doesn’t appear on the player list. The only ways the existence of this player could be detected were the flavour from the kills (it actually said ‘it was imperfectluck that you heard’ in the PMs as you’ll see later), and the Lit Candle from the Citizen of Geesthacht role. The win condition was designed so that they couldn’t just sit back and wait until it was them versus two other people. Everyone I showed this role to before the game started definitely thought this role would win. The main difficulty of this role was evading suspicion while killing and managing being in the final few if it managed to get that far. This was definitely a chaotic role in that it was something so unheard of, and also because of what it would do to people that knew they were going to die.

Well that’s it for the roles, now I will get on to describing how the actual game played out.

[a]game[/a]The Game

So you’ve probably seen all of the roles by now (whether you read about them in this thread or saw them in the actual game) and you’ve come to this section wondering how they interacted and/or what you missed out on relating to night actions and what could have happened, etc. I’m going to comment on each Night and Day individually, making many references to the aforementioned spreadsheet.

Role Distribution

Gmax and I decided which roles would go to which players, so in general, the stronger roles were given to the more experienced players. We gave blue_light Sylar because of his post in the signups topic and decided on the stronger roles first (Hipmonlee became Lelouch, imperfectluck became Samara, Lesm46 became Homer Simpson, Fishin became The Hypnotoad, and LightWolf became Mewtwo) before deciding on the rest, which were mostly a random distribution. I think it worked out well, though maybe a random distribution would have been more fun, who knows?!? We used the Players sheet on the spreadsheet to distribute the roles, which is why it looks fairly bland. The final distribution was:

Code:
Afroninja22		The Moon
AlphaBravo		Citizen of Geesthacht
Altair			Hannibal Smith
GoldenKnight14		Bryan
HD			Chief Wiggum
Hipmonlee		Lelouch
Jimbo			Skullkid
Kannon			Krakatoa
macle			Jason Bourne
Mr.378			Oddjob
Umbreon Dan		Nicholas Angel
billymills		Taz
Accent			Cthun
Exarius			Denethor
LightWolf		Mewtwo
porygon3		The Joker
blue_light		Sylar
ExplorerAce		Dracula
imperfectluck		Samara
Lesm46			Homer
asim			Q
Fishin			The Hypnotoad
dak			Agent Smith
moot			Cadmus Peverell
This is after substitutes were made and a role swap occurred, originally matty was Skullkid, EA was CN, and GTS was Agent Smith, and Mr.378 and Umbreon Dan had each other’s roles.

Night 0

This night was supposed to have kills, and was only called Night 0 because I don’t like going from Night 1 to Day 1 rather than the reverse (I find it confusing). However, as you can see on the spreadsheet, Kannon used his one-timer, which essentially saved macle, crabnebula / EA and blue_light from being killed, porygon3 from becoming Sophisticated, and billymills from becoming Insane. While these were some interesting results, I think it would have been better for Kannon to use his role at a later, more strategic point in the game.

The village seemed fairly disorganised and inactive, with no-one stepping up to be an immediate leader to begin with. This changed towards the end of the night, where Kannon decided it would be wise to step up, and that he would prove his power on the first night. While his intentions were good, I don’t think this turned out as he thought it would. However, it had some very interesting results which put the village in a great position anyway. I’ll detail it more in the Day 1 section.

The Insane quickly assembled and were organised by LightWolf who created a channel for the team. LightWolf decided he didn’t want to take any risks (pertaining to dying without getting his recruit off). He hid his second recruit from his team, in case one of them was recruited or some other disaster happened. This was probably a good idea in this game, as the only person each person could really fully trust was themselves. LightWolf helped his team (Exarius, Accent, and porygon3) come up with some pretty good false claims.

Fishin organised the Sophisticated. He came up with some kind of false claim (Palkia) and the rest of his team (moot and GTS) was fairly idle, except for asim. I don’t really know if asim was coordinating with his team but I’m sure he can fill us in. Fishin seemed to be doing a pretty good job.

To Kannon:

Earthworm said:
You erupted successfully last night. You sure did attract a lot of attention, and it seems some has done more harm than good.

A group of men on horseback rode around you for a while and seem to have left you without your Ear Muffs. They were stolen.

Additionally, you were approached by various mysterious figures and various events happened as follows:

You felt everything suddenly go cold (how is that even possible, you're a volcano!) and a deep voice seemed to come from nowhere saying: 'You're Insane now. Your win condition is now 'You win if the Insane win.' '

Straight after this, you felt a strong gaze shake your very foundations, and it seemed to influence the way you were thinking. You no longer felt cold nor insane, and realised that your win condition had changed again, this time to: 'You win if the Sophisticated win.'

Then, once again straight afterwards, you saw an enigmatic figure approach you. He took a huge bite into the side of you and spat out the rocks he had just bitten. Seemed to you he must bite things a lot. Then it hit you! He wanted your win condition to change to 'You win if you erupt and the user holding the Ear Muffs at the time of your eruption survives and wins the game.'! You happily obliged to this male entity's wishes and changed your goal immediately.

Long story short, your win condition is 'You win if you erupt and the user holding the Ear Muffs at the time of your eruption survives and wins the game.' and you aren't aligned with the village anymore. You're now Neutral.

Finally, you heard a voice that you're certain belonged to imperfectluck saying 'You will die at the end of Day 1.' Immediately after hearing this, you saw very unpleasant and horrific images form in your mind. This can't be good news!
To moot:

Earthworm said:
As you set out to fulfil your night duties, you heard an earsplitting roar. You looked towards the source of the noise and were horrified by what you saw. It seemed that a volcano was erupting! You headed in that direction to Hasten GTS, but instead you found Kannon. He became the new target of your hastening spell.
To GTS:

Earthworm said:
As you set out to fulfil your night duties, you heard an earsplitting roar. You looked towards the source of the noise and were horrified by what you saw. It seemed that a volcano was erupting! You headed in that direction to kill blue_light and redirect matty to Accent, but instead you ended up targeting Kannon with everything.
To Umbreon Dan:

Earthworm said:
As you set out to fulfil your night duties, you heard an earsplitting roar. You looked towards the source of the noise and were horrified by what you saw. It seemed that a volcano was erupting! You headed in that direction to guard your mansion for some reason, but you ended up guarding Kannon's mansion instead.
To Altair:

Earthworm said:
As you set out to fulfil your night duties, you heard an earsplitting roar. You looked towards the source of the noise and were horrified by what you saw. It seemed that a volcano was erupting! You headed in that direction to plan matty, but you ended up planning Kannon in the confusion. This had no effect on anything though, because you didn't die.
To Exarius:

Earthworm said:
As you set out to fulfil your night duties, you heard an earsplitting roar. You looked towards the source of the noise and were horrified by what you saw. It seemed that a volcano was erupting! You headed in that direction to kill macle and commanded your soldiers to raid moot, but then you changed your mind and sent them to raid Kannon's village instead. Similarly, you ended up targeting Kannon with your kill.

Your soldiers later reported the following about Kannon:

Dear Kannon,
You are Krakatoa.

Yeah you read it right, you're an island. A small island in the Indian Ocean, with an active volcano on it to be precise. The last time you really erupted, on August 27, 1883, the effects were catastrophic, and were felt across the world. Global temperatures dropped by 1.2 deg. C, over 30,000 people died because of tsunamis, ash, and pyroclastic flows, and the shockwaves you generated were felt around the world for 5 days. You've been feeling the 126 year itch of late... There's something in the air... It's ERUPTION time.

When you feel the time is right, you may PM the hosts with Night X - Erupting. You will...erupt. The brilliant spectacle of light and sound that you create by erupting will draw everyone's attention to you, and EVERYONE will target you that night in an attempt to stop you destroying everything. It takes 126 years to build up such an eruption, so you may only use it once every 126 years. You have the option to make one user immune to your ability by giving your only pair of Ear Muffs to them. Instead of hearing the ridiculously loud eruption, they'll simply continue on with whatever they happened to be doing that night.

You have the Ear Muffs. The Ear Muffs is an item. While holding this item, you will not be distracted by loud noises at night.

They also returned with some Ear Muffs.

To HD:

Earthworm said:
As you set out to fulfil your night duties, you heard an earsplitting roar. You looked towards the source of the noise and were horrified by what you saw. It seemed that a volcano was erupting! You headed in that direction to take blue_light away, but instead found Kannon. You tried to arrest him, confiscated his possessions (but he had none), and interrogated him for a while, but you didn't learn anything.
To LightWolf:

Earthworm said:
As you set out to fulfil your night duties, you heard an earsplitting roar. You looked towards the source of the noise and were horrified by what you saw. It seemed that a volcano was erupting! You headed in that direction to check things out. As you arrived at the place from where the noise seemed to be coming from, you found Kannon to be the source of it. In a bid to stop the destruction you deemed imminent, you drove him insane and converted him to your cause instead of converting billymills.
To Fishin:

Earthworm said:
As you set out to fulfil your night duties, you heard an earsplitting roar. You looked towards the source of the noise and were horrified by what you saw. It seemed that a volcano was erupting! You headed in that direction to check things out. As you arrived at the place from where the noise seemed to be coming from, you found Kannon to be the source of it. In a bid to stop the destruction you deemed imminent, you bent his will and subverted him to your cause instead of converting porygon3.
To crabnebula:

Earthworm said:
As you set out to fulfil your night duties, you heard an earsplitting roar. You looked towards the source of the noise and were horrified by what you saw. It seemed that a volcano was erupting! You headed in that direction to check things out. As you arrived at the place from where the noise seemed to be coming from, you found Kannon to be the source of it. In a bid to stop the destruction you deemed imminent, you bit him and converted him into a descendant of yours instead of LightWolf.
To asim:

Earthworm said:
After a night of slaving away, you have created the Ward Staff.

While holding the Ward Staff, you have the following ability: At night you may send a PM to Earthworm and Gmax stating Night X - Cast Ward on USER. That night USER may be protected from all night abilities other than killing. However, while warded, USER will not be able to perform any night actions. This item disappears after one use.
To imperfectluck:

Earthworm said:
As you set out to fulfil your night duties, you heard an earsplitting roar. You looked towards the source of the noise and were horrified by what you saw. It seemed that a volcano was erupting! You headed in that direction to tell crabnebula that he'll die, but instead you ended up telling Kannon. Oh well!
To Accent:

Earthworm said:
As you set out to fulfil your night duties, you heard an earsplitting roar. You looked towards the source of the noise and were horrified by what you saw. It seemed that a volcano was erupting! You headed in that direction to do your cursing and destiny-sealing, but you ended up attempting to do both to Kannon. This was an invalid combination of targets, so your ability had no effect. You will be able to use it again next night.

The item asim created was the one time hooker item, and that is all it did, despite the misleading other information.

Day 1

On Day 1, a lot of very crazy and chaotic stuff happened. LightWolf, under the impression that Kannon was now on his side (he asked me and I said ‘you recruited him’ because Kannon was recruited and LightWolf couldn’t know how many times), abandoned his no-risks policy and allowed Kannon into his channel, essentially revealing his entire team to the now neutral Kannon. Kannon decided to give the village his findings, and distributed them amongst a large number of the players. This put the Insane in a terrible position.

Additionally, Fishin decided to contact Kannon but did not give away his teammates, which was a wiser move in this case. However, this put Fishin into the open as mafia too, and Fishin was very important to his team. The village couldn’t know whether Kannon was lying or not, and for one reason or another, despite Hipmonlee’s attempt to stop the lynch, Kannon ended up getting lynched.

At this point, imperfectluck had gathered a small amount of information and was basically sitting back, as his role would be expected to. Lesm46 had created a false claim based around the presence of roles from previous games. blue_light had gathered some information from Kannon and seemed to be in a good position. Kannon’s lynching meant that imperfectluck did not get his first kill, and therefore needed three more to fulfil his win condition. And with that, Night 1 began.

To imperfectluck:

Earthworm said:
Since Kannon was lynched, his death did not count towards fulfilling your win condition.
To LightWolf:

Earthworm said:
You received the Ear Muffs.

To Accent:

Earthworm said:
You received the Knife.

You have the Knife. The Knife is an item. While you can use it to cut meat and other food, you may prefer to use it to intimidate people. If you are holding the Knife during the day, your vote will count for an increased amount. Since you would obviously look even more intimidating if you were holding other utensils, your vote will count for an even greater amount the more utensils you get your hands on.
To Lesm46:

Earthworm said:
You have learnt a new ability! If you choose to idle your Watching TV ability this night, you will have a Mayor Vote for the next day.

Night 1

Night 1 was not quite as eventful as Night 0 was, but it involved a couple of people that might have had a great effect idling, and a very important move by Jimbo, who subbed in for the inactive matty at this point. Jimbo used his question asking capability to discover that Hipmonlee is aligned with the village. Accent got his ability off, but at the same time, he was delay-killed by imperfectluck. porygon3 took a huge unnecessary risk and included himself among his ability’s targets, resulting in him killing himself and swapping Umbreon Dan’s and Mr.378’s roles (Nicholas Angel and Oddjob).

Fishin decided to speed up his kill’s priority and killed blue_light, which saved billymills, who was converted by LightWolf, all on the same night. That was a pretty interesting coincidence! Exarius targeted Lesm46 with his ability, but Lesm46 was watching TV so Exarius was left to ponder why his ability failed. Additionally, Exarius killed HD (the village thief who thought he was an inspector). Umbreon Dan received a PM telling him that AlphaBravo is Sophisticated due to him being an insane cop. billymills’ ability gives Hipmonlee’s role PM to Fishin, giving Fishin a chance to negotiate recruits with him (unbeknownst to both, they couldn’t recruit one another).

So, this was both a good and bad night for the Insane. Mainly a bad night. They lost porygon3 to what I think was pretty bad planning, Accent to bad luck, and gained billymills, a mediocre village role. The Sophisticated came out of this night without direct losses, but perhaps killing a villager would have helped their cause more. The village came out of this night best off, with another mafia dead and an important cleaning of Hipmonlee by Jimbo. All in all, this was a very interesting and chaotic night!

To Umbreon Dan:

Earthworm said:
Something bizarre happened to you during the night. A laughing man visited you and as soon as you saw him, you inhaled some kind of green-coloured gas. You're not sure how it happened exactly, but here is your new role (it replaces your old one):

Dear Umbreon Dan,
You are Nicholas Angel.

Police Constable Nicholas Angel: born and schooled in London, graduated Canterbury University in 1993 with a double first in Politics and Sociology. Attended Hendon College of Police Training. Displayed great aptitude in field exercises, notably Urban Pacification and Riot Control. Academically excelled in theoretical course work and final year examinations. Received a Baton of Honour, graduated with distinction into the Metropolitan Police Service and quickly established an effectiveness and popularity within the community. Proceeded to improve skill base with courses in advanced driving... and advanced cycling. He became heavily involved in a number of extra-vocational activities and to this day, he holds the Met record for the hundred metre dash. In 2001, he began active duty with the renowned SO19 Armed Response Unit and received a Bravery Award for efforts in the resolution of Operation Crackdown. In the last twelve months, he has received nine special commendations, achieved highest arrest record for any officer in the Met and sustained three injuries in the line of duty, most recently in December when wounded by a man dressed as Father Christmas.

You've been sent into the fray on the side of justice once more. Using your professional analysis skills, you can judge the intentions of a given user simply by watching them on the street. At night, you may send a PM entitled Night X - Watching the way USER walks. You will locate that user during the night and watch how they walk, gaining their alighment by the end of the night. You have also picked up a Mask whilst fighting crime recently. You wonder who it belongs to.

You have the Mask. The Mask is an item. During any night that you are holding this item, you may send a PM entitled 'Night X - Equipping Mask'. This will equip the Mask. Equipping the Mask has one of the lowest priorities. While the Mask is equipped, any inspectors that attempt to inspect you will be told that the user's face was obscured instead of receiving an inspection result.

Be sure to read your new role carefully.

As soon as you received this role, you turned your sights onto AlphaBravo. After watching him walk for a while, you concluded he simply must be aligned with the Sophisticated.
To Mr.378:

Earthworm said:
On your way out the door, you encountered a laughing man whose face appeared to be entirely white. He offered you some kind of purple lollipop and you politely accepted it. He stood there a while and eventually asked 'Well, are you gonna suck it?' You decided to appease this man and you sucked the lollipop for a while before you exited your house. A few steps out of the door, things upstairs began getting hazy. Weird images swirled around in your head, and before long you realised that you weren't Nicholas Angel anymore, now you are:

Dear Mr.378,
You are Oddjob.

You are the strong and silent type, never even uttering a single word during your appearance in 'Goldfinger'. You have a unique weapon, a bowler hat with concealed blades, that you don't hesitate to use. As the personal bodyguard of Auric Goldfinger, you are an extremely loyal man. He dispatched you to Cuba to support a faction of his associates, the Assortment of Random Characters.

At Night, you may send a PM entitled "NIGHT x – Guarding USER's mansion" You will make sure that no assassins will enter your targets mansion, making him immune to any kind of kill during the Night. You may guard your own mansion. Additionally, your posts in the main thread may only contain images, including your lynch votes. Should you break this restriction once, you will be silenced for the remainder of the game.

Be sure to read your new role carefully.
To Exarius:

Earthworm said:
Your horses returned early this night, for although they circled the house of your target for many minutes, it became quickly obvious that there was absolutely no way you were going to get any information or items out of Lesm46 on Night 1.
To billymills:

Earthworm said:
Some kind of catlike being approached you during the night and took complete control of your mind. Before long, you were fighting for control of your own thoughts. You felt them being manipulated by a powerful being, and by the time you regained control of your conscious thoughts once more, you realised two things:

1) You were very hungry, and you would stop at nothing to eat some food.

That's kind of normal for you though... The second thought was less normal:

2) Your win condition had changed to 'You win if the Insane win.'

That's right, your win condition is now 'You win if the Insane win.'
To Fishin:

Earthworm said:
Huh? A note seems to have floated down into your hands for some reason. Let's take a look...

Dear Hipmonlee,
You are Lelouch.

You were born into royalty, your rightful position being the King of the nation that conquered the majority of the world: Britannia. However, your family fell victim to royal assassinations, and your position became one of a diplomatic hostage at an early age. You are a natural genius, and you have since decided to lead what you see as a noble and just cause - fighting for peace. You were originally fighting a losing battle, but you came into contact with an entity named C.C. from whom you have gained a limited mind control power called Geass. With this tool you are now very capable of achieving your ultimate goal of world peace - there are still obstacles that must be dealt with, however.

You are able to recruit users to your side at night, but only under certain conditions. In order to keep your identity concealed, you wear a mask to hide your face and name yourself Zero. Once you have the item called the Mask and it is equipped, you may send a night PM entitled Night X - Use the Geass to take Recruit USER. This user will have their win condition changed to 'You win if Lelouch's side wins' (with your side replacing 'Lelouch's side'). Once you successfully recruit someone, that player will receive the Mask.

I wonder how you got this note!
To Jimbo:

Earthworm said:
A cloud floats down to greet you in the morning. 'Top o' the mornin' to ya!' the cloud says. 'Yerself' you reply, imitating the cloud's language.

Unrelated to this strange occurrence, it seems that the answer to your question is Yes.
To asim:

Earthworm said:
Success! You now have the Toothpick.

You have the toothpick. You are not sure what it is for, but you will just put it in your mouth and look cool for right now. Perhaps someone else can make better use of it.
This item was a plain negative vote item, but the holder didn’t know it.

To Accent:

Earthworm said:
AAAAAAARGH! You, Cthun, wake up from a nightmare. It was a nightmare, right? You weren't scared, but you're sure anyone else would've been. Well, whatever it was, it interrupted your sleep and informed you that you are going to die at the end of Day 2. You're certain this is imperfectluck's doing.

Day 2

Day 2 started off with Jimbo talking to Hipmonlee and agreeing on a LightWolf lynch. Jimbo made an important post stating his trust of Hipmonlee, which he obtained from cleaning him with his ability. The only other notable event was that Mr.378 lost his ability to lynch due to forgetting about his new posting restriction. Umbreon Dan was confused over whether he still had his old posting restriction, too. LightWolf was lynched, and Accent died due to imperfectluck, leaving the Insane with just Exarius and billymills remaining.

Some items were transferred by various means, as you can see here.

To Jimbo:

Earthworm said:
You were the one that quickly grabbed the Ear Muffs in the confusion. You now have them!

To Lesm46:

Earthworm said:
You gained some knowledge about persuasive language while you watched TV today. During Night 2, you may send a PM entitled Night X - USER1, please vote for USER2. User 1 will have to vote for user 2 during Day 3 or else they will be godkilled.
To imperfectluck:

Earthworm said:
You received the Knife from Accent's body.

Also at this point, ExplorerAce subbed in over the inactive crabnebula. He planned to claim Hedwig the Mayor from Bird Mafia.

Night 2

Night 2 was significantly less exciting than the previous nights, because most roles didn’t end up doing anything useful. I made a pretty bad error this night, but I don’t think anyone cared about it too much. Fishin wanted to kill Umbreon Dan, not robots, but informed me his target was a random one anyway so it didn’t really matter. I’m very sorry about this, though! ExplorerAce made a very good choice in making Lesm46 a descendant, and he also managed to hit him on a night where Lesm46 was actually using one of his abilities he obtained from watching TV. This led to him later winning the game, despite dying. asim managed to give his negative vote item to Hipmonlee without Hipmonlee suspecting anything, and created another negative vote item with a misleading description. Jimbo and robots both died, the item with no name was stolen by Exarius (it gave + 0.1 votes), and imperfectluck’s kill on robots failed due to Fishin getting to him first.

The most important thing that happened on this night was Umbreon Dan’s inspection on Hipmonlee giving a Sophisticated result. This could have been a game changing inspection, because it was a reverse inspection due to Umbreon Dan being an insane cop (always gets the wrong result). This village came out of this night much worse off.

To macle:

Earthworm said:
A group of men on horseback surrounded you and forced you to give up any items you were holding. By the end of the night, you had lost possession of the
To Exarius:

Earthworm said:
You came into possession of two items last night. The first, your men stole from Jimbo as they killed him.

The second was stolen from macle.

You have the

And finally, your men reported back with detailed information about macle's role:

Dear macle,
You are Jason Bourne.

"I can tell you the license plate numbers of all six cars outside. I can tell you that our waitress is left-handed and the guy sitting up at the counter weighs two hundred fifteen pounds and knows how to handle himself. I know the best place to look for a gun is the cab of the gray truck outside, and at this altitude, I can run flat out for a half mile before my hands start shaking. Now why would I know that? How can I know that and not know who I am?"

You were part of a project called Treadstone, where agents were turned into ultimate assassins. You were shot while on a mission and you lost your memory. Now you've decided to join the Sophisticated in their quest for world domination.

Before any vote modifiers you may be subjected to, your vote during the day will count for negative one.

You have the

To Lesm46:

Earthworm said:
Someone approached you while you were on the way to practise your persuasion and they bit you in the neck. Nothing seemed to change though, and you completed your night action successfully.
To GTS:

Earthworm said:
You received a note during the night, and although it seems to be from an anonymous user you decide to open it! Inside, it reads:

Dear AlphaBravo,

You have no night power. However, you should use your wit and intelligence to find enemies during the day, and blow them up. To do this, post BLOW UP USER in bold, red, and underlined font in all capital letters. In order to use this ability, however, you or your target must be in possession of a Lit Candle. You and your target will both die in the explosion caused.

You have the Candle. The Candle is an item. While holding this item, posting I GOT A LIGHT in the main thread in uppercase bold red underlined font during the day will light the Candle.

I wonder where it came from!
To Umbreon Dan:

Earthworm said:
You watched Hipmonlee walk for a while and decided that he was walking in a very Sophisticated manner.

You also successfully equipped the Mask!
To AlphaBravo:

Earthworm said:
Someone approached you and asked you to vote for asim during Day 3. If you don't do this by the end of the day, or if you vote for any other user, you'll be godkilled for not listening to this desperate, pleading man.
To asim:

Earthworm said:
You worked up a sweat and eventually created a Mixed-up Rubik's Cube.

While holding this item, your vote in the day will count for negative, as you will be too busy trying to solve this Rubik's Cube than make your opinion matter. However, if you are ever lynched while holding this item, you may take the last user who voted for you to the death with you, as this user will notice your Rubik's Cube and attempt to solve it as well.
To Hipmonlee:

Earthworm said:
You received the Toothpick during Night 2.

You have the toothpick. You are not sure what it is for, but you will just put it in your mouth and look cool for right now. Perhaps someone else can make better use of it.
To Fishin:

Earthworm said:
You hypnotised GoldenKnight14 into giving you the Frozen Bag of Food before he died.

You have the Frozen Bag of Food. The Frozen Bag of Food is an item. It cannot be given away or stolen. If you are holding the Frozen Bag of Food and someone attempts to steal from you, that user will not be able to steal any item during the next night as their hands will be chilled to the bone. If you are holding this item along with at least two of the Knife, Spoon, and Fork, you will be able to eat the food and gain new abilities.

Day 3

Day 3 was interesting to watch from my perspective. It involved Altair, Hipmonlee, and AlphaBravo discussing how they should win the votes from thereon. They theorised the worst and best possible scenarios, which weren’t really too accurate because of the amount of unknown information, but it gave everyone a perspective of the game. Initially, it looked like the village strategy would be to eliminate all of the Insane, but this would not have worked due to billymills’ conversion. However, after the discussion, it became evident that it would be more helpful to start chipping away at the Insane, who were suspected to be at a total of 5 members (they were only at 4). Due to macle’s and Hipmonlee’s negative votes, the vote ended with a surprisingly low 1.3 votes for Fishin vs 1 for asim. However, both of the possible targets were Sophisticated aligned, so it would have taken both asim and Fishin exposing themselves to win the lynch. Additionally, the Sophisticated could not have been aware that macle was a negative voter unless they were told by him or Exarius. Hipmonlee gave his Toothpick to Afroninja22.

So, the best or second best role on the Sophisticated went down (perhaps moot was a stronger role) without Fishin telling his faction anything he knew – he had been planning on allowing Hipmonlee to recruit him, but Hipmonlee never came into contact with the mask while Fishin was alive, due to Umbreon Dan believing him to be Sophisticated.

To AlphaBravo:

Earthworm said:
You lit up your candle, and it's been replaced by the Lit Candle:

You have the Lit Candle. The Lit Candle is an item. While holding this item, if you are targeted by a night role, you will be told the name of the player that targeted you. However, they will also find out that you were holding the Lit Candle when they targeted you.
He received this after posting I GOT A LIGHT in the thread.

To Hipmonlee:

Earthworm said:
You grabbed the Frozen Bag of Food from Fishin's corpse.

You have the Frozen Bag of Food. The Frozen Bag of Food is an item. It cannot be given away or stolen. If you are holding the Frozen Bag of Food and someone attempts to steal from you, that user will not be able to steal any item during the next night as their hands will be chilled to the bone. If you are holding this item along with at least two of the Knife, Spoon, and Fork, you will be able to eat the food and gain new abilities.
To Afroninja22:

Earthworm said:
You received two items during the day: the Spoon and the Toothpick.

You have the Spoon. Actually, you don't, since there is no spoon. (You do actually have an item called the Spoon)

To Lesm46:

Earthworm said:
You've learnt yet another ability. During Night 3, you may send a PM entitled Night X - No Beer and No TV make Homer Kill USER. The user you target will be killed by you.

Night 3

Night 3 was an interesting night, and one nearing the game’s conclusion. The deaths on this night were very important, and could easily have changed a lot of things about the game. Once again, a lot of roles had no effect on the game at all, including moot’s, GTS’, asim’s Hooker item being used (it might have mattered if it had done anything), Mr.378’s, and Altair’s. The kills were, as usual, very important, taking out the macle the ARC miller, Mr.378 the ARC bodyguard, and asim the Sophisticated item creator. Exarius inspected Hipmonlee, which did not turn out to be very useful. I think asim had organised an item exchange with AlphaBravo too, but this failed to occur due to asim being killed. imperfectluck used his delayed kill on Afroninja22, which meant that he gained all of the utensils that were being stored on Afroninja22’s surface. If he ever obtained the Frozen Bag of Food, he would almost definitely have won, but as it was on Hipmonlee who imperfectluck had talked to, it was unlikely he would obtain it because he wouldn’t risk targeting Hipmonlee and didn’t know that he was holding it.

After Night 3, the Sophisticated had two members remaining: GTS and moot. Both of these players were relatively inactive, and not paying a lot of attention to the game. The Insane was left with Exarius and billymills. Three neutrals were still alive and well: imperfectluck, Lesm46, and ExplorerAce. The village was made up of Afroninja22 (the Moon, now useless, and due to die at the end of Day 4), AlphaBravo, Altair, Hipmonlee, and Umbreon Dan. The outcome looked to be dependent on the actions of the neutrals, two of which had to win alone. However, the village converter, Hipmonlee, was still alive – just without his mask.

To AlphaBravo:

Earthworm said:
With the illumination provided by your Lit Candle, you noticed that billymills targeted you during Night 3.
To Afroninja22:

Earthworm said:
You heard a voice during the night, and it chilled you to your core. It told you that you are going to die at the end of Day 4. You are completely certain beyond a shadow of a doubt that this voice belong to imperfectluck. Immediately after hearing this, awful, horrific images entered your mind that you just couldn't shake off.
To Umbreon Dan:

Earthworm said:
You watched billymills walk for a long while, and it seems his style of walking is typical of one who is allied with the Assortment of Random Characters.
To Altair:

Earthworm said:
What's this? You've received a note, and it seems to contain the role PM of a certain AlphaBravo.

Dear AlphaBravo,

To Exarius:

Earthworm said:
Your horsemen raided Hipmonlee's village and returned with no goods, but they did come back with the information you were seeking.

Dear Hipmonlee,
You are Lelouch.

To billymills:

Earthworm said:
As you went to spin around AlphaBravo, you couldn't help but notice that he was holding a Lit Candle.

Also, you have scavenged the Mixed-Up Rubik's Cube from the body of asim.

While holding this item, your vote in the day will count for negative, as you will be too busy trying to solve this Rubik's Cube than make your opinion matter. However, if you are ever lynched while holding this item, you may take the last user who voted for you to the death with you, as this user will notice your Rubik's Cube and attempt to solve it as well.

Day 4

This day was another pretty straightforward day. The village jumped on the Exarius lynching bandwagon immediately and Exarius quickly reached a high number of votes. Exarius tried to blow up AlphaBravo, but unfortunately for Exarius, AlphaBravo was the only player equipped with dynamite in this game. Since GTS had continued to idle for a very long time, dak substituted in for him at this stage.

Exarius and Afroninja22 both went down due to being lynched and imperfectluck’s kill. The Fork, Spoon and Toothpick all went to imperfectluck, who now had a vote that would count for negative 1.5 votes if used as you can see on the spreadsheet in the Vote Counts sheet. This left the Insane with 1, Sophisticated with 2, and ARC with 4, with three neutrals still living.

To AlphaBravo:

Earthworm said:
As one of the people that voted for Exarius, you were eligible to pick up some of the items he was holding.

After he was killed, you received the Ear Muffs.

Additionally, you picked up the
To imperfectluck:

Earthworm said:
You scavenged three items from Afroninja22's corpse: the Fork, the Spoon, and the Toothpick.

You have the Fork. The Fork is an item. You may use it for fine dining if you go out to a restaurant at night. During the day, if you are holding the Fork your vote will count for an increased amount. The more utensils you collect, the more your vote will count for.

To Lesm46:

Earthworm said:
You have learnt a new (or old...) ability! If you choose to idle your Watching TV ability this night, you will have a Mayor Vote during Day 5.

Night 4

Altair was confused by Hipmonlee’s role swapping tactics after Afroninja22’s death, and started the night by stating that Hipmonlee is a confirmed mole. Hipmonlee didn’t want to draw any attention to himself or risk his role being found out by any of the mafia, so he stated that dak is Sophisticated after dak admitted it in a conversation between the two of them.

By this point, Hipmonlee had talked to billymills and received a confession about being converted. Hipmonlee instructed billymills to kill EA, and promised conversion back to ARC at a later date, unless the Mask didn’t really exist (which Hipmonlee considered a possibility). However, dak thwarted this plan and effectively sealed the game (unless imperfectluck managed to win) by redirecting billymills’ kill to himself and killing ExplorerAce, who was a relatively harmless neutral by this stage.

imperfectluck chose Altair as his kill target and third kill. Assuming Altair died by his hands, this kill would fulfil the first part of his win condition (the other being to be the last alive). AlphaBravo gave the (nameless item) to Hipmonlee, which made Hipmonlee worry that it would cause his vote to count negatively.

This night put things back into the village’s hands, as it meant the permanent end of Insane kills and one less neutral to worry about. That is, as long as they could keep Lesm46 on their side and distinguish themselves from their enemies, of course.

To AlphaBravo:

Earthworm said:
You picked up the Mixed-up Rubik's Cube from billymills' corpse.

To Hipmonlee:

Earthworm said:
You received the
To Altair:

Earthworm said:
Oh no! A terrible presence entered your head during the night and told you that you will die at the end of Day 5. The presence was imperfectluck, there's no doubt about it. While it remained in your head, the presence showed horrific, terrible images in your mind. This is bad news.

Day 5

Day 5 was the final showdown day, where it would come down to whether or not Umbreon Dan believed his inspection results. Hipmonlee posted his role PM to begin the day, recognising that if everything went right on this day, then the village basically had the game. Umbreon Dan did have evidence suggesting that he was an insane cop, but he originally assumed that the Mixed-Up Rubik’s Cube had changed the Role PM billymills had upon his death, which seemed like a viable explanation given my comment after his death. Umbreon Dan decided that he believed Hipmonlee to be deceiving them all, and made a lynch attempt on him to begin with.

moot was the next to vote, and he too voted to lynch Hipmonlee. AlphaBravo trusted Hipmonlee, and voted Hipmonlee as a result due to holding the Mixed-Up Rubik’s Cube. dak voted for Hipmonlee too, as did Altair. However, Hipmonlee then talked to moot and Altair and convinced them to change their votes to dak. moot changed his vote because Hipmonlee explained the situation and offered to recruit him to ARC. Hipmonlee convinced Altair by pasting his recent logs with moot, Umbreon Dan, and dak, as well as some old logs with billymills explaining why Umbreon Dan was voting for him.

Lesm46, who was unable to vote on this day due to watching TV, bluffed that he was simply being a spectator (though he might not have voted even if his vote counted). dak then talked to moot and convinced him to change his vote back yet again, possibly explaining that with their roles combined, they could revive and kill enough villagers to win the game. However, Hipmonlee finally managed to convince Umbreon Dan to vote for dak, which sealed the fate of the Sophisticated and saved AlphaBravo from having to blow up on dak.

Umbreon Dan finally caved in and gave the Mask to Hipmonlee, meaning that the village could finally begin to convert the survivors.

Additionally, Altair had reported to Hipmonlee about imperfectluck’s name appearing in the PM he received after Night 4, unlike any of imperfectluck’s other victims. Hipmonlee began to discuss with Lesm46 where the day kills might be coming from, now that all unknown roles were dead. Since moot had begun to co-operate with the ARC too, there were no unknown roles remaining – Umbreon Dan was the insane cop, Hipmonlee was the converter, AlphaBravo was the dynamite guy, moot was the last Sophisticated, and Lesm46 was the wolf. Thanks to Altair, I received messages on IRC from Hipmonlee:

Code:
 [16:14] <Hipmonlee> hey
[16:14] <Earthworm> hi
[16:14] <Hipmonlee> is it possible there are users not listed in the userlist
[16:14] <Hipmonlee> or
[16:14] <Hipmonlee> players not listed in the player list
[16:14] <Earthworm> i can neither confirm nor deny this
[16:14] <Hipmonlee> thats an interesting response isnt it
[16:15] <Hipmonlee> cause normally I would expect it to be "lol no"
With this, Chaos Mafia entered Night 5.

To Hipmonlee:

Earthworm said:
You received the Mask during Day 5.

To Lesm46:

Earthworm said:
You've received the ability to persuade a user into voting for whoever you want. During Night 5, instead of Watching TV you may send a PM entitled Night X - USER, please vote for USER. The first user will be forced to vote for the second user during Day 6, or else they will be godkilled.

Night 5

imperfectluck was in trouble, now that his secret had been practically uncovered. He realised in a conversation with me that it may be a smart idea to idle his kill from now on, avoiding any unnecessary additional evidence. However, it was too late, and multiple attempts were made to uncover the potential presence of imperfectluck, including Lesm46 attempting to persuade imperfectluck to vote himself on Day 6, but more importantly, moot targeting him as the Sophisticated night kill. moot also chose to resurrect Jimbo to prove that he had no intentions of fighting ARC any longer.

Hipmonlee equipped the mask, and the village and the rest of the game were exposed and ready to become ARC members to end the game.

To moot:

Earthworm said:
You killed imperfectluck and received the four items he was holding at his time of death: the Knife, the Fork, the Spoon, and the Toothpick.

To moot:

Earthworm said:
You examine the Resurrection Stone carefully, and it seems that it contains enough power for one more resurrection -- barely. Perhaps it will only resurrect with a limited power, or maybe for a limited time? Only time will tell.
To Umbreon Dan:

Earthworm said:
After watching Lesm46 parade around for a while, you have determined it's a given that he's allied with the Assortment of Random Characters.
To Jimbo:

Earthworm said:
You've returned to life! You have the same role and win condition as before.

Day 6 / End Game

At the beginning of this game, I talked to Lesm46 and moot and asked if it was their intention to wait until Hipmonlee converted them, and in addition asked if Hipmonlee planned to. Hipmonlee posted that they were going to keep No Lynching until everyone still alive was converted to ARC, so the end of the game arrived!

Congratulations to the Assortment of Random Characters, as well as those who were converted to ARC and ExplorerAce for picking out Lesm46 to be his descendant. It was definitely a fun game while it lasted for me, and I hope everyone else had as much or more fun!

[a]awards[/a]Awards

Most Chaotic Player – Kannon. Kannon’s role had a huge amount of influence on the game both through his role itself and through his play. His play, although not allowing himself to win, put the Insane in a very tight position very early on as well as jeopardising the Sophisticated’s chances.

Best ARC member – Hipmonlee. Hipmonlee organised the village and managed to convince his enemies to become his allies on multiple occasions. He successfully managed the village information and did a role claim swap with Afroninja22 to protect himself, since he had the strongest role. I think Hipmonlee did the best he could with what he had, and he proved that the village doesn’t need a village leader in the early part of the game, it just needs someone to step up and tell everyone the situation.

Best Sophisticated – Fishin. Fishin organised his team, and while most of his team was inactive (barring asim), Fishin decided who was killed and make a false claim. asim could also be considered for this position, but I am not aware of the extent of his actions. He must have talked to AlphaBravo, and organised an interesting item swap.

Best Insane – LightWolf. Despite LightWolf giving up his whole team to Kannon, I feel he did the most to ensure his team’s success early on, by organising false claims for several of them (though they were unfortunately not used). Neither porygon3 nor Accent got a chance to do much, and Exarius was fairly new to mafia and didn’t make any mistakes.

Best Move – Hipmonlee convincing the wolf and mafia to join sides with him. If this had not happened, it would have been 3-4 villagers against a wolf, a mafia, and another wolf.

Most Clueless – AlphaBravo. AlphaBravo proposed all kinds of strange ideas, like his very strange kill system post. Most of them were shut down pretty quickly and ignored. Umbreon Dan could also be considered for this, but he at least had a more viable alternative scenario in mind to what was actually happening.

Best False Claim – blue_light. I don’t think there were many good or effective false claims this game, but until he died, blue_light looked like he was in a great position to wreak havoc and control the game. He fooled Kannon with his claim and gained all of Kannon’s information, but that later became public anyway. Lesm46 and LightWolf both made pretty good false claims too, but I don’t think they were used.

Best Neutral – Lesm46. He played the neutral part very well, and was one of two original neutrals to win (the other being ExplorerAce, who didn’t do very much for his win). He solved the imperfectluck mystery along with Hipmonlee, which would have been pretty disastrous for everyone if it went unsolved.

Overall Best Player – Hipmonlee. I’ve already talked about Hipmonlee a lot, so there isn’t much more to say. Hipmonlee basically controlled this game for the last three or so days and nights, which was about half the game. Though he didn’t get to do much role-wise, he did do a lot of negotiations and information management, which in the end allowed ARC to win.

And finally…

Person Who Bugged Me The Most To Post The Postgame – Exarius. Congratulations on winning this prestigious award. Runner ups include: AlphaBravo, Mekkah – better luck next time.

[a]conclusion[/a]Conclusion

Chaos Mafia was altogether a very chaotic and successful game, and it did meet my expectations, although it didn’t end up quite as one-sided as I expected it to become! Seeing that this game was successful, look forward to other experimental games that I host! I plan to host at least two more small mafia games in the future, including: Flow Mafia, Chaos Mafia II. For those who enjoyed participating in or observing Chaos Mafia, Chaos Mafia II is probably right down your alley!

Thanks to Gmax for planning the game and helping me update a couple of times (i.e. co-host). Thanks to everyone that played the game too!

Thanks for reading this postgame, and rest assured that I won’t use this postgame format for future postgames because it takes a ridiculous amount of time.

I should've blown up D5 to prevent the critical villager Hipmonlee from being daykilled. Luckily IPL targeted Altair.

D/N3:
Yes the Itemswap was planned.
However, I suspected Hipmonlee and wanted to get him (or one of his mafia allies) killed. D4,0 I planned to leak to him that asim was Q with his Role from Minor Character Mafia (He didn't claim to me, but I thank that the Anti-Lynch grenade would be a good bait). Afterwards, I would spam BLOW UP posts on all users, inevitably exploding on asim's killer. And in mafia, a vanillager for a mafioso is a good trade.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
The lynching of Kannon actually won us the game. Had he died to IPL's kill, IPL would have made 2 of his 3 kills without us having heard of the fact that his name is mentioned in the kill PMs at all, and could have waited until there was only 2 players alive to kill again. Basically even if we had realised there was a non listed member we would have had to have lynched everyone who tried to sign up, and possibly the hosts as well.

I guess the only other thing would have been to resurrect the people who had died during the day and ask them for the details of their pms..

Have a nice day.

Oh yeah that reminds me, Kannon actually did mention that it was imperfectluck to at least the Insane:

[09:13] <LightWolf> okay good news we got him
[09:14] <LightWolf> bad news he dies at the end of day 1...
[09:14] <porygon3> lol
[09:14] <porygon3> from our destiny thing?
[09:14] <LightWolf> no
[09:14] <LightWolf> it was ipl's voide lol
[09:14] <LightWolf> *voice
[09:15] <porygon3> ?
[09:15] <LightWolf> you heard a voice that you're certain belonged to imperfectluck saying 'You will die at the end of Day 1.' Immediately after hearing this, you saw very unpleasant and horrific images form in your mind. This can't be good news!

the thing is, LW didn't mention that to me (I think I came online 2 hours after that, so I never got that even in my logs), and since I practically run alone after that 1 day (I didn't trust billy because of Kannon incident), I had no idea IPL was in the game before he died :p

Also, the Hip inspect could have ended being very nice for me, I thought about contacting him with my role, and offering help to find his mask in exchange for a recruit to ACR, but in the end I decided against that. Oh well, better remember that for the next time.

and finally...

Person Who Bugged Me The Most To Post The Postgame – Exarius.
LOL!

I was going to make a nice post describing how I liked the theme and many of the powers a lot but not how the game proceeded mainly due to me getting boned by the whole Kannon affair and then unable to get recruited by Hipmonlee due to slow/overly suspicious villagers bu-ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

This was one of the small games which i watched really closely, not only due to the hosts (EW and Gmax, long time mafia players), but also the players themselves, with many prominent names. From the spectator's perspective, it was a really good game, bu-ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

yeah ew you were pretty much right. i had contact with fishin over a few things, but i could never get in contact with moot/gts at all. i also did talk a bit with alphabravo (although a lot of it was me trolling him with the "did-not-get-ins" thing) and organized the item swap.

anyway, i really liked my role a lot. i'm glad i could at least make the items semi-malicious and hide things. thanks for hosting and hypnotoad blah blah blah

I've briefly discussed my opinion on the game on IRC with some users and I was told that 'the game wasn't intended to be balanced' (which is true apparently but i'll comment on that later) and that 'everyone knew what they getting into' - well I was never aware that I was about to play in a game as unbalanced as this. For reference, the warnings were:
Sign-ups said:
The 'theme' is chaotic and overpowered roles, with no central character theme (absolutely anything could be in this game).
Rules said:
16. It is possible for a user's win condition to change, among other things. Don't assume anything in this game. For more information, see the disclaimer attached.
-
DISCLAIMER: This is Chaos Mafia, and it has been designed to progress in a ridiculous fashion. Don't expect everything to go according to plan!
My impression is that you didn't design the game at all. You just came up with cool ideas for roles and assigned them to various factions, in an attempt to have it somewhat equally spread out - but a role like Krakatoa simply has repercussions that are too huge and unpredictable to be in any game, in my opinion. Look at a role like Samara: this was a powerful wolf, with an original twist, and yet it had a definite and predictable influence over the game. Same for Bryan for example.

My point is that 'powerful characters and chaotic progression' should be how the players perceive the game, not the hosts, who should still have made it guaranteed that it would be fairly balanced. Did you make some test runs to see how it would go if all the roles from each faction were used to their best? It doesn't look like it.

Now if the point WAS actually 'i don't care about balance i just tossed some powerful roles together and we'll see what happens', well to me it is just a lack of respect towards the players. I mean you just used 24 users to test an experiment... I consider it the host's responsibility to make sure that as many players as possible have a good time for the longest possible amount of time, and having roles that can completely destroy a faction by day 2 (which is what you said you were expecting) doesn't really fit into that conception.

Now of course all isn't bad, I think all the players who remained alive long enough or weren't luckfucked enjoyed it, some roles were great, the flavour was good, your hosting was flawless I think... So thanks for that at least. And tbh assuming you didn't actually intend to screw the players, I prefer this kind of experiment over a dull unoriginal game... but still!

yeah ew you were pretty much right. i had contact with fishin over a few things, but i could never get in contact with moot/gts at all. i also did talk a bit with alphabravo (although a lot of it was me trolling him with the "did-not-get-ins" thing) and organized the item swap.

anyway, i really liked my role a lot. i'm glad i could at least make the items semi-malicious and hide things. thanks for hosting and hypnotoad blah blah blah
Asim, I organised the item swap - it was a plan to get one of Hip's (which I thought was mafia) friends killed (along with both of us, but you taking a mafia's kill and both of us being claimed vanilla made it a good trade): I planned to tell Hip that you are Q with your Minor Char. Mafia Role PM and that you ARE holding the anti-lynch grenade along with another interesting item, getting you killed and giving the mafioso my Lit Candle. Then, I would have spammed Blowing Up's on all users, inevitably hitting the Lit Candle holder. Unless Hip made the kill himself, this action would also discover his alliance.

I've briefly discussed my opinion on the game on IRC with some users and I was told that 'the game wasn't intended to be balanced' (which is true apparently but i'll comment on that later) and that 'everyone knew what they getting into' - well I was never aware that I was about to play in a game as unbalanced as this. For reference, the warnings were:

My impression is that you didn't design the game at all. You just came up with cool ideas for roles and assigned them to various factions, in an attempt to have it somewhat equally spread out - but a role like Krakatoa simply has repercussions that are too huge and unpredictable to be in any game, in my opinion. Look at a role like Samara: this was a powerful wolf, with an original twist, and yet it had a definite and predictable influence over the game. Same for Bryan for example.

My point is that 'powerful characters and chaotic progression' should be how the players perceive the game, not the hosts, who should still have made it guaranteed that it would be fairly balanced. Did you make some test runs to see how it would go if all the roles from each faction were used to their best? It doesn't look like it.

Now if the point WAS actually 'i don't care about balance i just tossed some powerful roles together and we'll see what happens', well to me it is just a lack of respect towards the players. I mean you just used 24 users to test an experiment... I consider it the host's responsibility to make sure that as many players as possible have a good time for the longest possible amount of time, and having roles that can completely destroy a faction by day 2 (which is what you said you were expecting) doesn't really fit into that conception.

Now of course all isn't bad, I think all the players who remained alive long enough or weren't luckfucked enjoyed it, some roles were great, the flavour was good, your hosting was flawless I think... So thanks for that at least. And tbh assuming you didn't actually intend to screw the players, I prefer this kind of experiment over a dull unoriginal game... but still!
I respect your opinion, but I feel that it would be near impossible to balance a game as high-powered as this. I did put thought into what roles went where and tried to balance it out with my estimates of each role's strength. You're right that I didn't do a full test run, I just thought through the possibilities of each role to the best of my ability beforehand, and tried to work out how many people I thought would die each night, whether it was an acceptable number, etc. I guess that's kind of a test run, but maybe not one as in depth as you're talking about.

Krakatoa was expected to be the equivalent of a previously existing role which skips a Night phase, but instead of entirely skipping it, everything would target Kannon and most roles would negate each other. I did not anticipate that Krakatoa would be used Night 0, and so I didn't expect Kannon to be recruited so many times over. I don't think I did anything wrong by including the role, but I can see why you would. You're probably aware that the issue of some sides having bad luck is present in a large number of mafia games, and not just ones with very powerful roles. It isn't really something entirely avoidable, and I personally don't think I crossed a line by including a role of this calibre in my game.

Obviously the point wasn't just to experiment; I agree that it is the hosts' responsibility to provide a fun game, and I tried my best to do that. Most reviews I received thought that the game was fun (in fact I think this is the only exception). I knew that there was the potential for factions to be destroyed early on, and that the potential chance was higher than the chance in most games, and perhaps I should have clarified this in the sign-ups. If you wish I will do this for my future small mafia games which will have similar experimental themes. Sorry if I didn't provide a fun experience for you, and anyone else who feels this way.

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

No don't get me wrong, it was 'fun'* - I enjoyed the game overall, and more than other games in which I've been. But I think it could have been a lot better with more focus on balance rather than over-the-top roles (without making it like any other game obviously), as in my opinion the overall coherence of the game is more important than the individual roles. The roles that were 'broken' (ie. even for this game) were the ones that had too much impact on the others, and thus broke that overall coherence. Hopefully you'll at least consider this comment while designing Chaos Mafia 2! And of course if at any point you want my advice/opinion on anything don't hesitate to ask :)

*'fun' with quotation marks because it was fun to see what happened due to the actions having incredible consequences, but not as fun as in a mafia where you actively plan and outpredict etc. In that game most of the events were heavily influenced by luck or the moods of the players, not skillful play.

I remember talking to Kannon during Night 0 and convincing him to use his one timer on Night 0 because I didn't want him using it on a night that could kill. Unfortunately for him, he pretty much got screwed, but I had a nice little plan going with the info that he had given me.

Btw, Fishin is a name-killing toe rag.

LightWolf

lightwoof
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I can only blame myself for only skimming through Kannon's n0 posts (how did I miss the part where he said he was going to mass-martyr everyone...) And I guess that AlphaBravo trying to prove I was bad because of posting a picture of a wookie distracted me a bit...

I originally wasn't going to talk to Kannon at all since we knew he was useless now, but the fact that EVERY role targeted him was tempting, I also kinda assumed the recruits worked like in Viva, as in they fail on multi target.

This mafia still was fun even with my short life, and I for one liked the brokenness as it allowed much wilder fake claims to be made.

Also while I agree that p3 was used bad, but in that situation we weren't going to live for long and gaining a good power may be our only chance, if the kannon thing hadn't happened I'd have most likely waited with it for late game targeting two villagers and a mafia/wolf (either kills a mafia off or swaps their power for a weaker villager one)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)