Pokémon Charizard

Which one these MEvos will be OU in your opinion?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I've been using Char Y and I can attest to this. However, I would think that Hidden Power Ground would be better instead of Focus Blast, if your issue are Flash Fire users. Hidden Power Ground hits Heatran for the same as Focus Blast, but with infinitely better accuracy. We have coverage for Ice and Rock 'mons already, and as for Dark mons, I can't think of any that would withstand any of ZardY's other moves except for Ttar and maybe Mandibuzz, but that thing isn't even fazed by Focus Blast. As for Ttar, I mostly just call it a day and switch to my other mons that can take care of him.

On a different note, I've been using a Rayquaza-mence offence, but using ZardY-Kyurem-B instead. They resist each other's weaknesses bar Rock, and the damage they put out to the table is monstrous.
I wouldn't just "call it a day with Tyranitar", since it can Pursuit you and a good opponent isn't going to let it die to your teammates. Focus Blast can potentially OHKO/cripple Tyranitar, a.k.a the biggest obstacle that prevents you from abusing Drought boosted Fire Blast. Not sure why you brought up Mandibuzz, that thing is definitely not going to withstand any of its Drought Boosted moves...

It can't get Fire Punch, believe me, I checked when I made the set, and I just double checked juuust to be safe. Unless it gets it in Pokebank, Fire Punch is not an option for Zard any time soon:p
Charizard can get Fire Punch in one of the other games from a Move Tutor, and Pokebank will let you transfer from it I believe. Unless GameFreak uses some sort of restriction.

You can test Fire Punch on Pokemon Showdown in Pokebank OU, if you want. It won't be usable in the actual game until December, sadly. (Same with Thunder Punch)

Fire Punch would be easily better than Flare Blitz when it comes out then, since it still OHKOs Azumarill after SR, which is pretty much the closest thing you'll get to anything actually withstanding an attack from +6 Zard.

Edit- Actually, I tell a lie-
+6 252 Atk Mega Charizard X Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Carbink: 224-264 (73.68 - 86.84%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Calc is a bit squiffy since substituting LO for Tough Claws, but still... go Carbink.

Last edited:
Charizard X might be everyones favorite golden boy, but I think Charizard-Y is pretty decent in standard too.

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD/ 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solarbeam
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Pulse

This thing is just brutal. Short of Tyranitar and Goodra, nothing wants to switch in. Those 2 are the reason why Focus Blast and Dragon Pulse are used btw 90% of the time you want to use Fire Blast, but when they show up you pretty much need to slam them with those coverage moves.

I tried getting Roost to work, but I never got a chance to use it. It was kill or be killed, heh.
You're using Modest and not Timid? Without any sort of speed-boosting move? I love this set (I did type it up on page 1), mainly because it has amazing coverage and can just nuke the shit out of almost everything. The only problem is (like always) speed. Anyways, It's best to just call it a day on Tyranitar, on the switch in it negates Drought with Sandstorm, potentially locks you into Solarbeam, and the only 'reliable' OHKO is Focus Blast, which it can actually tank with certain builds. So really, while it's possible to take it out, it's quite a bit of gambling in the end.

Roost has no place on either Megazard IMO. Sure you can make it work, but you're better off with improved coverage and/or speed boosting moves. Neither Megazard is bulky enough to really make use of Roost. The HP total's and defense stat(s) are just slightly too low.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Not much of a point to using Timid, the positive natured base 100 Speed tier is barren.

And like I said earlier, ignoring Tyranitar is not feasible because
-It can use Pursuit
-It's going to be a problem for the remainder of the match
-It's a common Stealth Rock user
-Your teammates aren't going to take it out, because your opponent isn't going to let it die
-It can use Pursuit

Not sure why people are completely opposed to using Focus Blast when:
252+ SpA Charizard Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in sand: 320-380 (79.2 - 94.05%) -- 43.75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Fire Blast does (14.85 - 17.57%) so you can 2HKO it on the switch in. I repeat, you can 2HKO the bulkiest Tyranitar (sans Assault Vest) as it switches in, and remove it from the match.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Well... most Heatran run Earth Power and have Air Ballon. Also, Slowbro checks this.

+6 252 Atk Charizard Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 248+ Def Slowbro: 294-347 (74.8 - 88.29%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 252 Atk Charizard Outrage vs. 248 HP / 248+ Def Slowbro: 529-624 (134.6 - 158.77%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Also, Choice-Scarf Rotom-W can check you easily.

And Quagsire too, 252 Atk Charizard Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 157-186 (39.84 - 47.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Latios twins can also check easily. And unless you run Outrage, Dragonite can ruin your fun any day with Extreme Speed.

+6 252 Atk Charizard Outrage vs. 248 HP / 248+ Def Slowbro: 394-465 (100.25 - 118.32%) -- guaranteed OHKO

dude your calculations are WAAAAY off, charizard X receives a tough claws boost, and STAB on dragon claw. With that dragon claw is a clean OHKO to max def slowbro

dude your calculations are WAAAAY off, charizard X receives a tough claws boost, and STAB on dragon claw. With that dragon claw is a clean OHKO to max def slowbro
I'm wrong with Slowbro being a check, but in fact I was only talking about Outrage. But that doesn't change the fact, Belly Drum Charizard is easily checked by any scarf user/dragon with highest speed.

Just wanna make sure about some things. I'm planning on breeding a Megazard X. and I want it to be a DDer. On a DD set, Dragon Claw is a fine alternative to Outrage, right? And an Adamant nature is preferred over Jolly because of the lack of notable threats in the 100 speed tier range (besides MKangaskhan, lol)?

Not much of a point to using Timid, the positive natured base 100 Speed tier is barren.

*can you expand more on this? Maybe it's just me but I hate speed ties.

And like I said earlier, ignoring Tyranitar is not feasible because
-It can use Pursuit

*will Pursuit OHkO a switching ZardY out?

-It's going to be a problem for the remainder of the match

*not when you have a means to take it out. And imo maybe its just that I haven't faced a lot of good Ttars but imo, he has a lot of counters that its not too hard to kill him.

-It's a common Stealth Rock user

*if you're using either Zards, you must be prepared for this.

-Your teammates aren't going to take it out, because your opponent isn't going to let it die

*imo this is not valid point. I can always retaliate with a "well why would I send out my ZardY if I haven't taken out opp's Ttar?". Your opponent can't always predict if you're sending out a ZardX or ZardY.

-It can use Pursuit

Not sure why people are completely opposed to using Focus Blast when:

Fire Blast does (14.85 - 17.57%) so you can 2HKO it on the switch in. I repeat, you can 2HKO the bulkiest Tyranitar (sans Assault Vest) as it switches in, and remove it from the match.

*you can gamble that 70% chance or you can send in something else to take care of Ttar.
Reply in *

Last edited:
Just wanna make sure about some things. I'm planning on breeding a Megazard X. and I want it to be a DDer. On a DD set, Dragon Claw is a fine alternative to Outrage, right? And an Adamant nature is preferred over Jolly because of the lack of notable threats in the 100 speed tier range (besides MKangaskhan, lol)?
Well, do what you do, when you choose to attack, Mega-Kangashkan is going to sucker-punch the snot out of you. So, yeah, Adamant and Dragon Claw, I would recommend you run Brick Break on the same set, it's contact and kills anything Dragon Claw doesn't. Or you could try to give him more survivability with Roost, but you're going to get walled by Heatran.

Going to point out that 252 Spe Megazard X is outsped by 252+ Spe Excadrill.

Also, ScarfMence will outspeed and OHKO +1 252 Spe Megazard X with Outrage for an easy Moxie.

Just checking because I plan on trying to run Megazard X with dual screen Klefki for support. And I don't want to waste my time breeding the wrong nature/moveset, lol.

Well, do what you do, when you choose to attack, Mega-Kangashkan is going to sucker-punch the snot out of you. So, yeah, Adamant and Dragon Claw, I would recommend you run Brick Break on the same set, it's contact and kills anything Dragon Claw doesn't. Or you could try to give him more survivability with Roost, but you're going to get walled by Heatran.
Sigh...

Even Flame Charge hits all the same things just as hard, if not harder, with the exception of, like, Heatran. And +1 Flame Charge isn't all that amazing, even with Tough Claws.

Also Mega Kang only guaranteed 2HKOes Zard X with Sucker Punch and SR, its not really Sucker Punching the snot out of you as much as giving you something to think about.

Sigh...

Even Flame Charge hits all the same things just as hard, if not harder, with the exception of, like, Heatran. And +1 Flame Charge isn't all that amazing, even with Tough Claws.

Also Mega Kang only guaranteed 2HKOes Zard X with Sucker Punch and SR, its not really Sucker Punching the snot out of you as much as giving you something to think about.
Flame Charge leaves you at 2HKOes while Flare Blitz gives you much better wallbreaking capabilities. And, remember MegaKang is going to first fake out you.

252 Atk Kangaskhan Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Charizard: 58-70 (19.52 - 23.56%) -- possible 5HKO

252 Atk Kangaskhan Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Charizard: 78-92 (26.26 - 30.97%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Add the parental bond extra-attack and Mega-Kang is dealing 75% damage to MegaCharizard-X before it does anything.

Also, even using Brick Break, the strongest attack Mega-CharizardX has against Kanga is Outrage

+1 252 Atk Charizard Outrage vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Kangaskhan: 294-346 (83.52 - 98.29%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

That's assuming it runs Jolly, because otherwise Kangaskhan is going to outspeed and KO you before you get to do anything.

Ok have been using Timid Zard Y with Blast, SOlarbeam, Dragon pulse and flame charge which is working great. i kinda wanna replace dragon pulse though, thoughts?

also Zard X wants EQ not Brick Break, even after Tough Claws it is more powerful than BB and it can avoid Kings Shield which Flare Blitz can't, whereas Outrage hits Harder than BB on SE targets as pointed out above.

Flame Charge leaves you at 2HKOes while Flare Blitz gives you much better wallbreaking capabilities. And, remember MegaKang is going to first fake out you.

252 Atk Kangaskhan Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Charizard: 58-70 (19.52 - 23.56%) -- possible 5HKO

252 Atk Kangaskhan Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Charizard: 78-92 (26.26 - 30.97%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Add the parental bond extra-attack and Mega-Kang is dealing 75% damage to MegaCharizard-X before it does anything.

Also, even using Brick Break, the strongest attack Mega-CharizardX has against Kanga is Outrage

+1 252 Atk Charizard Outrage vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Kangaskhan: 294-346 (83.52 - 98.29%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

That's assuming it runs Jolly, because otherwise Kangaskhan is going to outspeed and KO you before you get to do anything.
Hangon hangon hangon.

YOU suggested Brick Break as a worthwhile move. I certainly did not. I used Flame Charge as an example of how inferior Brick Break is as an option, because Flame Charge is not at all good next to Flare Blitz, and yet still damages near everything better than Brick Break.

And then you go and show yourself that Brick Break is not worthwhile?

What exactly are you arguing for?

Also, you failed to consider that simply Roosting in Kangs face gives you an escape from Sucker Punch, so it has to bank on a 50/50 prediction to actually try to revenge you.

Hangon hangon hangon.

YOU suggested Brick Break as a worthwhile move. I certainly did not. I used Flame Charge as an example of how inferior Brick Break is as an option, because Flame Charge is not at all good next to Flare Blitz, and yet still damages near everything better than Brick Break.

And then you go and show yourself that Brick Break is not worthwhile?

What exactly are you arguing for?

Also, you failed to consider that simply Roosting in Kangs face gives you an escape from Sucker Punch, so it has to bank on a 50/50 prediction to actually try to revenge you.
I said nothing against Brick Break, I just said it doesn't hit Kanga as strong as Outrage, but it serves the function to hit Heatran and another steel pokes not weak to fire. If you Roost, you're giving up one coverage move, either Brick Break or EQ, and that's going to hurt you on the rear if you don't get to counter those steel pokes that well. Anyway, the set we're talking about is going to use Dragon Claw instead of Outrage.

The list of Steel types that aren't weak to Fire and are worth using boils down to Heatran and maybe Empoleon, and even then STAB Flare Blitz does more to Empoleon. Brick Break literally serves the purpose of hitting Heatran. Unless you consider non-Mega Aggron or Bastiodon viable pokemon in OU. And tbh, I kinda consider the utillity of Roost much greater than coverage for just one Pokemon

Actually, I was just going down the list. I only included them because they were part of the top 20 usage.

These calcs really highlight how destructive Char X actually is. IMO, it's the most terrifying Mega evo (until Gengar gets Pain Split access). +1 is devastating, but Flare Blitz recoil is the great equaliser. I think bulky dance will be the way forward once Pokebank is available.
can you explain about bulky dance? what moves and ev?

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 104 HP / 220 Atk / 8 SDef / 176 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
I want to try this set but not sure what pokemon to team up with this particular set. I'm new to competitive so any help is appreciated, cheers.

Ok have been using Timid Zard Y with Blast, SOlarbeam, Dragon pulse and flame charge which is working great. i kinda wanna replace dragon pulse though, thoughts?

also Zard X wants EQ not Brick Break, even after Tough Claws it is more powerful than BB and it can avoid Kings Shield which Flare Blitz can't, whereas Outrage hits Harder than BB on SE targets as pointed out above.
Not only that, but BB over Earthquake has you completely walled by Azumarill. Although, Heatrans with Air Balloons could be caught off guard by the presence of BB, however, overall, Earthquake is the better choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)