Charizard (0/3) Locked due to inactivity

Overview
########

• Has two very different mega evolutions.
  • It's mega Y set is the basis of most competitive sun teams.
  • It's mega X set is a dangerous physical set up sweeper.
  • It sits at a now less impressive speed tier, base 100, due to the introduction of many of the new megas in ORAS.
  • It has a poor defensive typing due to it being weak to Rock Slide, arguably the most commonly used spread move.

Mega Sun Attacker
########
name: Mega Sun Attacker
move 1: Heat Wave
move 2: Solar Beam
move 3: Overheat / Focus Blast
move 4: Protect
ability: Solar Power
item: Charizardite Y
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========

• Heatwave is a powerful sun-boosted STAB move that hits both opponents.
  • Solar Beam provides a powerful coverage move that has no charge up time due to Charizard's ability post mega evolution, drought.
  • Overheat provides a powerful nuke that can OHKO many Pokemon that don't resist, but it should be used sparingly due to the nasty side effect of halving Charizard's special attack every time it's used.
  • Overheat is useful because it bypasses wide guard, which can be used indefinitely without failing in this generation.
  • Focus Blast is an alternate option for KOing Heatran and Tyranitar when in sand.
  • Don't run Air Slash; it's weaker than a sun boosted Fire Blast or overheat, even when Air Slash is super effective and the fire move is neutrally effective.
  • Protect is mandatory to scout for moves and allow an ally to take out threats to Charizard such as users of Rock Slide or Thunderbolt.

Set Details
========
  • Maximum Speed with a timid nature to speed tie in the highly competitive speed tier of base 100.
  • 252 special attack EVs allow it to hit as hard as possible with a neutral nature.
  • A modest nature is a decent option, allowing it to reach a monstrous 458 special attack, but being outsped by most opposing Charizard, Gardevoir, and Kangaskahn is a major downside.

Usage Tips
========

• Charizard is very useful as a early game wall breaker due to it's sheer power and ability to hit both opponents with one move.
  • Don't be afraid to use overheat early game to knock out or weaken key threats to your team as switching isn't as costly in doubles as it is in singles.
  • Even though Charizard is good early game, it can clean up itself with Heat Wave if it's checks and counters are weakened.
  • A major thing with Charizard is that if your team relies on the sun is that keeping Charizard alive is a must.

Team Options
========

• Charizard provides more support rather than it needs.
  • Charizard's biggest flaw is it's 4x rock type weakness which is relatively easy to cover for.
  • Pokemon such as Landorous-T, Garchomp and Terrakion make good partners because they can annihilate most rock and electric types with ease.
  • Another option which deserves a special mention to fill that role is Hitmontop. Hitmontop has Intimidate, a strong fighting STAB, and, most notably, Feint which breaks Wide Guard and Protect so you need less prediction for maximum damage output when using Charizard.
Mega Dragon Dance Attacker
########
name: Mega Dragon Dance Attacker
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Flare Blitz / Fire Punch
move 3: Dragon Claw
ability: Blaze
item: Charizardite X
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========

• Dragon Dance is used to boost attack and speed which negates drops from intimidate and icy wind
  • Flare Blitz is a powerful move that is boosted by STAB and Tough Claws
  • Dragon Claw is useful because it has no recoil
  • Protect is mandatory to scout for moves and allow an ally to take out threats to Charizard such as users of Rock Slide or Draco Meteor.

Set Details
========

• Maximum speed is useful because it outspeeds many common Choice Scarf users, such as Landorous-T and Hydreigon after a boost.
  • 252 attack EVs allow it to hit extremely hard.

Usage Tips
========

• Get Charizard in without taking much of any damage by either sending it in after a teammate was KOed or by using volt switch or u-turn.
  • Set up dragon dance. It has a good defensive typing and bulk so finding opportunities to set up shouldn't be hard.

Team Options
========

• This particular set is completely walled by Azumaril, Heatran, and Diancie, so having a teammate such as Landorous T or Thundurous to deal with them is useful.
  • Redirection is especially helpful for easy set ups.

Other Options
########

• Earthquake can be used to beat Heatran and Diancie which are two of Charizard's best counters.
  • Roost can be used on etheir set over protect for recovery, especially on its mega X set if you run Flare Blitz because of it's recoil.
  • Dragon Pulse is a passable move on its mega Y that allows you to Hit dragon types that otherwise resist all or most of your moves like Latios hard
  • Fire Blast is another option over Overheat on mega Y because it can be used indefinitely without needing to switch out, but the power loss is major and noticeable after all of the boosts each gets.
  • A bulkier EV spread can be used to outspeed adamant Landorous t after a dragon dance.

Checks & Counters
########
  • Paralysis can slow Charizard down which is detrimental because Charizard relies so heavily on it's speed.
  • Rock Types resist it's main STAB and they can deal heavy damage with Rock Slide.
  • Opposing weather is an issue for the Mega Y because nearly all of it's common moves rely on having the sun shining.
  • Heatran wall both sets if they lack Focus Blast (mega Y) or Earthquake (mega X).
  • Diancie outspeeds and deals heavy damage to each of them with Diamond Storm.

Last edited:
Qazoo306 Please write this up. It's been nearly 3 weeks.
Sorry, I was busy with school and a sport and I had to put off doing this. It's late where I am, but I just finished up a rough draft. Any suggestions for it would be much appreciated because this is my first time writing an analysis.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Sorry, I was busy with school and a sport and I had to put off doing this. It's late where I am, but I just finished up a rough draft. Any suggestions for it would be much appreciated because this is my first time writing an analysis.
My advice is to look at other analyses to get a feel of what they're like to help with yours. Here are some examples of good write-ups. Looking at the old Charizard analysis is also strongly recommended - you can learn some things from it and work how to improve upon it by adding your own knowledge and skill to your analysis. Your write-up should be at least as good as the old write-up. Your analysis is currently not up to scratch, missing extensive info (look at the other analyses and see what type of stuff you're missing). You should add some stuff in before changing this from WIP to QC.

I finished writing up Charizard Y. Is that how you wanted me to write it? Does anyone have any good Charizard X sets that I can put into the analysis? I'm not sure the set I put into the analysis is the most optimal.

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
dude, you have to put them in bullet points first. Once you get two QC checks, that's when you get to write those points together in paragraph form. On another note, I'm pretty sure you only really need a Sun Attacker and DD XZard set written here :]

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I finished writing up Charizard Y. Is that how you wanted me to write it? Does anyone have any good Charizard X sets that I can put into the analysis? I'm not sure the set I put into the analysis is the most optimal.
A guide to starting. Start with dot points; only write up after 2 QC checks have been given.

Mega Dragon Dance Attacker
########
name: Mega Dragon Dance Attacker
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Flare Blitz / Fire Punch
move 3: Dragon Claw
ability: Blaze
item: Charizardite X
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly
This is fine for now. The QC team will comment on it after the WIP stage

Look at some other articles on this group, particularly skeletons. Look at the past Charizard analysis I linked you too. They will help give you an idea as to what to include in your skeleton. Your skeleton is too bare, as I said before, missing info. For example, you have not mentioned why you're using Protect in any of the sets - this is something you would realise if you read other analyses. You would learn other things too.

Also, Charizard is an important Pokemon in Doubles. Letting you know, as the QC teams cares more for having a good write-up about an important Pokemon than a not-so important Pokemon :)

Last edited:
Bump, it's been almost 3 weeks since I've gotten any feed back. Can I get feedback so I can write this up or what? I thought it was your job to pester me with deadlines smh

SpaceBass

☆ALOLA VERA420: FUKK AMOONGUS AND UR MOM
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Am check, I'm not QC so nothing is mandatory. Also I'm sure you read the link a few posts up but just incase, you need 2 QC stamps from QC members before you start writing up, it stays in bullet points until then.

Overview:
  • I'd give more of an in depth overview, maybe explain both the different megas some more
  • Zard Y lacks physical defence leaving it open to attacks from that side, not just super effective attacks, however has the special bulk to take some weaker super effective hits
  • Mention both of thier abilities and what they do, Drought lessens Zard Y's water weakness, boosts its Fire moves on top of its large base SpA, while Tough Claws boosts Zard X's 2 main STAB moves
  • Zard X's main Fire STAB move has recoil, and upon mega it loses its Flying type, leaving it open to Eathquakes. However it goes gain some great resistances
Mega Y set; Moves:
  • Don't mention not using Air Slash in the moves section, this is for moves that have places or slashes on the set only really
  • I'd put Hidden Power Ground instead of Focus Blast, FB's accuracy is shit and HP ground actually does about 1-2% more to Tran, while Fire moves handle any other Steels. Focus Blast is only really for Tyranitar but you shouldn't be leaving Zard in on TTar anyway
Set Details:
  • Mention that if a Modest nature is used (which is viable), it is recommended you use some speed control to ease pressure on losing to opposing max base 100s
Usage Tips:
  • Not so sure about mentioning the part about your team relying on sun to be up, as most sun teams just run Char / Venu, and have a well balanced team backing it up due to the fact that there are less Chlorophyll users than there are Swift Swimmers
  • Mention that neither HP ground or Focus Blast will OHKO Heatran, even without Shuca. Tran rarely carries Ancient Power, but it can also get a free sub if you aren't careful
  • Be careful fighting rain, as if you go for a Solarbeam while sun is up, and they have a Poli in the back, they can swap out, remove sun and delay your move til next turn, leaving you vulnerable to a Swift Swimmer
Team Options:
  • Chlorophyll Venusaur should be the first thing mentioned here, great partner, fast sleep powder
  • Mention Hitmontop also gets Wide Guard, very important, it also does big damage to Tran
  • Cresselia can give helping hand support, heal 75% from a sun boosed moonlight, and even reset sun if it runs out while zard is on the field
  • Mention some other Fighting types that can smash Rocks and Heatran like Conkeldurr
  • Rain counters are a good idea on sun teams, Kyurem Black can beat some common threats to Zard, and Skymin can do damage to Ludicolo, Politoed and Swampert, however will lose to Swamp and Ludi while rain is up
Mega X set, Moves:
  • Dragon Dance isn't for removing drops from Intimidate and speed drops, its to get some power stored up for a sweep. Remove the mention of those as you don't want to stay in on common intimidators anyway really
  • Mention the recoil on Flare Blitz as it is a fair drawback to have recoil on a setup sweeper
Set Details:
  • Mention that you can use an Adamant nature, as DD will aid your speed, however this requires more team support like redirection
Usage Tips:
  • Zard X is alot rarer than Zard Y, and many opponents with hit it with an electric move expecting Y, this can buy a free DD as you swap from a weakness to a resist in an instant
Team Options:
  • Actually mention some of the redirectors that work well with Zard X. Amoonguss can take hits and use spore to buy free DD's, as well as helping stop Azu and can take some chunks from Diancie too, but maybe a perfect one is Togekiss. It can redirect both Dragon moves and Earth Powers, Helping Hand, Thunder Wave or just Air Slash things for flinches to buy more free turns, however it still loses to Diancie
  • You need things that can beat Heatran for sure as if no EQ you get walled
Checks and Counters:

On Checks and Counters, instead of bullet points, you write these up and that part stays there. Check the links to analysis' in my signature to see how it should be structured. You arrange them into tabs such as: **Typing Advantage**. This tab is for pokemon that can either wall or sponge hits from both Zards thanks to their defensive typing, or pokemon that threaten the Zards with their super effective STAB moves. **Utility**. This tab is for things such as Intimidate, speed control, field conditions and status conditions that can stop Zards from doing their jobs, be sure to mention the users and why they threaten them. **Speed Contol / Faster Pokemon**. This tab would be for Pokemon that do not have a distinct type advantage, but possess the abilty to beat Zards with either super effective coverage moves, or Pokemon that would not normally outspeed, but do thanks to things like a Choice Scarf
  • Mention some dangerous Thunder Wave users. Thundy-I because it can use Prankster to mess you up, and Thunderbolt you afterwards. Meowstic-M can also use Prankster to Thunder Wave, and can set up Light Screen
  • Scarf Landorus-T's Rock Slide is like the biggest threat
  • Landorus-I is also a threat, as it has 1 more base speed than both mega Zards, and can KO Y with Sheer Force Rock Slide, and X with Sheer Force Earth Power
  • Zard X needs to be careful of Aegislash as all of its moves are contact besides EQ, and will drop your attack by 2 stages
  • If running Overheat, SubTran can and will set up in your face
  • Really sell Diancie as dangerous as it will always OHKO with Diamond Storm
  • Rotom-H can stop Zard Y very well, as the only way to hit it is if you are carrying Focus Blast
  • Rain as a playstyle will screw both Zards over, Y more so than X
  • Sand is also dangerous to Zard as Tyranitar can take hits and threaten it, and Excadrill can outspeed and KO both

Last edited:

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Am check, I'm not QC so nothing is mandatory. Also I'm sure you read the link a few posts up but just incase, you need 2 QC stamps from QC members before you start writing up, it stays in bullet points until then.

Overview:
  • Zard Y lacks physical defence leaving it open to attacks from that side, not just super effective attacks, however has the special bulk to take some weaker super effective hits
  • Mention both of thier abilities and what they do, Drought lessens Zard Y's water weakness, boosts its Fire moves on top of its large base SpA, while Tough Claws boosts Zard X's 2 main STAB moves
  • Zard X's main Fire STAB move has recoil, and upon mega it loses its Flying type, leaving it open to Eathquakes. However it goes gain some great resistances
Mega Y set; Moves:
  • Don't mention not using Air Slash in the moves section, this is for moves that have places or slashes on the set only really
  • I'd put Hidden Power Ground instead of Focus Blast, FB's accuracy is shit and HP ground actually does about 1-2% more to Tran, while Fire moves handle any other Steels. Focus Blast is only really for Tyranitar but you shouldn't be leaving Zard in on TTar anyway - Difference in damage is negligible, since neither OHKO tran, Focus Blast hitting TTar is pretty big imo since sun is one of the only good matchups sand actually has lol
Set Details:
  • Mention that if a Modest nature is used (which is viable), it is recommended you use some speed control to ease pressure on losing to opposing max base 100s
Usage Tips:
  • Not so sure about mentioning the part about your team relying on sun to be up, as most sun teams just run Char / Venu, and have a well balanced team backing it up due to the fact that there are less Chlorophyll users than there are Swift Swimmers
  • Mention that neither HP ground or Focus Blast will OHKO Heatran, even without Shuca. Tran rarely carries Ancient Power, but it can also get a free sub if you aren't careful Don't need to talk about tran here really
  • Be careful fighting rain, as if you go for a Solarbeam while sun is up, and they have a Poli in the back, they can swap out, remove sun and delay your move til next turn, leaving you vulnerable to a Swift Swimmer
  • Also adding - Overheat is for breaking walls, Heat Wave is for clearing up, make this clearer in your bullet points
Team Options:
  • Chlorophyll Venusaur should be the first thing mentioned here, great partner, fast sleep powder
  • Mention Hitmontop also gets Wide Guard, very important, it also does big damage to Tran
  • Cresselia can give helping hand support, heal 75% from a sun boosed moonlight, and even reset sun if it runs out while zard is on the field
  • Mention some other Fighting types that can smash Rocks and Heatran like Conkeldurr Terrakion (conk is kinda bad)
  • Rain counters are a good idea on sun teams, Kyurem Black can beat some common threats to Zard, and Skymin can do damage to Ludicolo, Politoed and Swampert, however will lose to Swamp and Ludi while rain is up
  • Also adding - the mons you've listed don't necessarily wall zard, but they can beat it. Remove the mention of azu but keep Diancie and Heatran and say that Landorus-T is effective against them.
Mega X set, Moves:
  • Dragon Dance isn't for removing drops from Intimidate and speed drops, its to get some power stored up for a sweep. Remove the mention of those as you don't want to stay in on common intimidators anyway really
  • Mention the recoil on Flare Blitz as it is a fair drawback to have recoil on a setup sweeper
Set Details:
  • Mention that you can use an Adamant nature, as DD will aid your speed, however this requires more team support like redirection
Usage Tips:
  • Zard X is alot rarer than Zard Y, and many opponents with hit it with an electric move expecting Y, this can buy a free DD as you swap from a weakness to a resist in an instant
Team Options:
  • Actually mention some of the redirectors that work well with Zard X. Amoonguss can take hits and use spore to buy free DD's, as well as helping stop Azu and can take some chunks from Diancie too, but maybe a perfect one is Togekiss. It can redirect both Dragon moves and Earth Powers, Helping Hand, Thunder Wave or just Air Slash things for flinches to buy more free turns, however it still loses to Diancie
  • You need things that can beat Heatran for sure as if no EQ you get walled
Checks and Counters:

On Checks and Counters, instead of bullet points, you write these up and that part stays there. Check the links to analysis' in my signature to see how it should be structured. You arrange them into tabs such as: **Typing Advantage**. This tab is for pokemon that can either wall or sponge hits from both Zards thanks to their defensive typing, or pokemon that threaten the Zards with their super effective STAB moves. **Utility**. This tab is for things such as Intimidate, speed control, field conditions and status conditions that can stop Zards from doing their jobs, be sure to mention the users and why they threaten them. **Speed Contol / Faster Pokemon**. This tab would be for Pokemon that do not have a distinct type advantage, but possess the abilty to beat Zards with either super effective coverage moves, or Pokemon that would not normally outspeed, but do thanks to things like a Choice Scarf

• Mention some dangerous Thunder Wave users. Thundy-I because it can use Prankster to mess you up, and Thunderbolt you afterwards. Meowstic-M can also use Prankster to Thunder Wave, and can set up Light Screen
  • Scarf Landorus-T's Rock Slide is like the biggest threat
  • Landorus-I is also a threat, as it has 1 more base speed than both mega Zards, and can KO Y with Sheer Force Rock Slide, and X with Sheer Force Earth Power
  • Zard X needs to be careful of Aegislash as all of its moves are contact besides EQ, and will drop your attack by 2 stages
  • If running Overheat, SubTran can and will set up in your face
  • Really sell Diancie as dangerous as it will always OHKO with Diamond Storm
  • Rotom-H can stop Zard Y very well, as the only way to hit it is if you are carrying Focus Blast
  • Rain as a playstyle will screw both Zards over, Y more so than X
  • Sand is also dangerous to Zard as Tyranitar can take hits and threaten it, and Excadrill can outspeed and KO both
Good check, I crossed out the stuff I disagree with / think is superfluous. I also added a few things in. Also Space, please note that whilst what you said about the checks and counters isn't incorrect, you don't have to put it in the right format until the 3rd check (or at least I don't bother anyway) I changed it to some weird brown color, Qazoo, you can either ignore it or change it to the right format now - though you should add the extra points space listed.

Darkmalice

Level 3
Qazoo306 I refer you to my recent guide on writing doubles analyses and the old Charizard analysis which is of very good quality. I have, more than once, told you that your analysis is missing information and isn't up to scratch. Please read the links and the combination of SpaceBass' check with Totem's advice (which is great) and update your analysis accordingly. If I were to give this a check, I would be essentially creating much of the skeleton for you which is not how QC is meant to function (if we have to create that much, we would consider reassigning the analysis). In particular your Overview, Checks and Counters, and entire Mega Charizard X section is subpar, but I would read everything I've suggested.

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
should prolly run a spread of 48 HP / 216 Atk / 16 Def / 228 Spe Adamant nature on Zard X. The old one was 40 HP / 208 Atk / 32 Def / 228 Spe, but this one gets 2 more points of HP and Atk, but still hits the same Def and Spe benchmarks (outspeeds Deo-A at +1, takes an Adamant Lando-T EQ).

SpaceBass

☆ALOLA VERA420: FUKK AMOONGUS AND UR MOM
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Qazoo306, if you implement the check I did a few posts up, minus what Totem removed from it in his post, I'll give you 1/3 and we can go from there but please update this.

Edit: Qazoo said he'd update this on the weekend.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)