Chatot [QC 1/3]

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Quality Control Checks: treecko/---/---
Grammar/Prose Checks: ---/---

Overview
########

- One of the few Pokemon with access to the godly move that is Boomburst, as well as the annoying move that is Chatter.
- Nice Speed.
- Now gets Heat Wave from an ORAS move tutor.
- Lacking in most stats, including the defenses and its Special Attack.
- No really interesting abilities that have much use.

mean burd
########
name: mean burd
move 1: Boomburst
move 2: Chatter
move 3: Nasty Plot
move 4: Substitute
ability: Keen Eye
item: Leftovers / Silk Scarf
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========

- Substitute allows Chatot to take advantage of the switches that it forces. It also allows it to avoid status.
- Nasty Plot allows Chatot to break through walls much easier, which is useful since those are the kind of Pokemon this set often deals with.
- Boomburst is Chatot's main source of damage, hitting most threats for unresisted damage.
- Chatter is Chatot's Flying-type STAB attack, mostly useful for hitting Ghost-types that are immune to Boomburst and for the lovely confuse chance.
- Heat Wave is mostly used to take down Steel-types.

Set Details
========

- Odd number for HP stat cause it to take less damage from Stealth Rock and from Substitute.
- Max Speed and max Special Attack to take on opposing threats better.
- Timid allows it to outspeed base 90 Speed Pokemon such as Timid Lilligant and Jolly Zangoose.
- Leftovers to mitigate the damage done by Substitute and to help keep Chatot alive.
- If you're not running Substitute, then Leftovers is not as necessary. In this case, Silk Scarf can help boost the damage that Boomburst does while still allowing Chatot to use its coverage moves.

Usage Tips
========

- Clear the opposing team of Steel-types, Rock-types, and Rotom before wasting your time in setting up Substitute and Nasty Plot.
- Using Encore on a Psychic-type attack and then switching into a Dark-type, or something along those lines, can be useful for helping other Pokemon set up.

Team Options
========

- Rapid Spin and Defog users can be useful for keeping the field clear of Stealth Rock, which Chatot doesn't appreciate.
- The lack of coverage moves leaves Chatot unable to break through many Steel- and Rock-types, such as Probopass. Fighting-types can be helpful for breaking through these walls.

stylish burd
########
name: stylish burd
move 1: Boomburst
move 2: Chatter
move 3: U-turn
move 4: Hidden Power Water / Hidden Power Grass
ability: Keen Eye
item: Choice Specs
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========

- Boomburst is Chatot's main STAB attack and is one of the easiest moves in the game to spam.
- Chatter is Chatot's Flying-type STAB attack and is mostly used for its 100% confusion rate. It is also helpful for hitting Ghost-types that are immune to Boomburst.
- U-turn helps to get out of tough situations and allows you to get the advantage if the opponent switches out when you switch Chatot in. Plus, it deals a solid chunk of damage to Pokemon such as Malamar and Exeggutor.
- Heat Wave can be used to break through Steel-types which resist its main STAB attacks.

Set Details
========

- Odd HP stat allows you to switch into more Stealth Rocks
- Max Speed and Special Attack to deal the most damages
- Timid Choice Specs has an ensured 2HKO on Careful 252 HP / 252 SpD Malamar and ensures the 2HKO on 4 SpD Musharna with.

Usage Tips
========

- Refrain from becoming locked into Boomburst until opposing Ghost-types have been dispatched.
- Choice Specs acts as a wallbreaker. Use this to take down bulky walls and pave the way for another sweeper to come in and clean up.

Team Options
========

- As Chatot will often switch in and switch out with U-turn, a Rapid Spin user such as Sandslash can keep the field clear of entry hazards. Sandslash is also useful for clearing out Rock-types that resists Boomburst and Chatter.
- Pursuit users are useful for clearing out Ghost-types from the opposing team.
- Pokemon that carry Fighting- or Ground-type attacks that can take on Probopass are extremely useful, as Chatot has serious trouble dealing with it.

Other Options
########

- Hidden Power Ground hits Probopass while also hitting Rhydon, but Heat Wave hits most other Steel-types for more damage than it can.
- Taunt is useful with Chatot's great Speed to cripple most walls.
- Tailwind can be used to increase the Speed of its team for five turns, which is especially helpful considering that at +2 Speed, Chatot is able to outspeed every relevant threat in the tier, including most Choice Scarf and boosting Pokemon.
- Defog, but outclassed by other Pokemon and doesn't want to give up a moveslot.
- Roost
- Encore allows you to take advantage of Substitute. An opponent that uses a status move, sets an entry hazard, or attempts to set up can be locked into that move while you Boomburst it at your leisure.

Checks & Counters
########

**Rock-types**: Rhydon and Archeops, especially defensive variants, can come in on most any attack from Chatot without much fear and KO it with their STAB attacks, although Rhydon is 2HKOed by non-Choice Specs Hidden Power Grass and Archeops can't repeatedly come in on Boomburst.

**Steel-types**: Probopass can easily tank any of Chatot's attacks and OHKOes 50% of the time with Power Gem or 2HKOes with Volt Switch.

**Rotom**: Rotom resists both of Chatot's STAB attacks and sit at the same Base 91 Speed, making them threatening adversaries to come up against.

**Revenge Killers**: Chatot's poor Speed leaves it vulnerable to many revenge killers Choice Specs Timid Typhlosion and Archeops all outspeed Chatot, and OHKO Chatot thanks to its poor defenses.

**Speed Control**: Although Chatot's Speed isn't incredible, it is dependent on what it does have. As such, Speed altering moves, such as Thunder Wave, can be crippling for Chatot's presence.

Last edited:

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
I feel like heatwave needs it's own slash on the first set, being able to fuck mega lix is critical. Maybe slash it with HP Ground for probo? or maybe just mention hpground in moves? encore is fucking sweet, I used it to great success in xy. but I feel like it's moveslots are too valuable in oras to fit it in.
first set could be something like
NP / Sub
Boom
Chatter
Heatwave (/ HP ground)

second set looks fine :) Don't mention seis or kabu for HP Grass though, specs boomburst 2HKOs both iirc. it's literally just for donner.

edit: ew the formatting looks gross, am on mobile :(

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Your Moves don't even fit your set smh

Also only Rotom can wall Chatot, Rotom-S and Rotom-F take loads from Boomburst.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think Heat Wave deserves a moves mention or at best a slash with np / encore. Sub is way too important to give up imo because it's Chatot's best way of making use of Chatter's confusion and mess with faster opponents. HP Ground deserves OO at best imo, all it hits is Probopass which is probably best dealt with by teammates; at least Heat Wave hits stuff like Pawniard and Klinklang harder.

Also is there a reason Modest is slashed with Timid? I'm pretty sure outspeeding base 80+s is way more important than hitting harder

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Edited.

Sub set now looks like this:
Substitute
Nasty Plot / Heat Wave
Boomburst
Chatter

With a mention of Encore in the moves. Do you want Encore slashed with NP and Heat Wave or wat?

Also, Hidden Power Ground has been moved to OO and a mention of something that can take on Probopass has been added to the Team Options of both sets.

This analysis is no longer necessary because I am banning Chatot from Ubers. Unfortunately, we currently do not support Anything Goes analyses, so Chatot will go without for the time being.

Choice Scarf should be cut because it is decidedly mediocre. I'm not a fan of the Choice Specs set, but I can see the value of having a Specs Boomburst user that has more than base 50 Special Attack, especially with all the success I've had with Specs Swellow. Still, the biggest appeal of Chatot is a strong Boomburst in conjunction with a secondary STAB that gives Chatot a chance of beating every one of its checks and counters.

Also think Heat Wave shouldn't even be slashed, but should get its own slot to itself. Hitting Mega Steelix is so critical. At worst, slash Nasty Plot with Substitute and Heat Wave, leaving the option for Sub Nasty Plot or Heat Wave + Sub/Nasty Plot. Basically, I'd like to see:

Boomburst
Chatter
Heat Wave ( / Nasty Plot)
Substitute / Nasty Plot

with my preference of course being no slash on Heat Wave's slot. I'd also like you to slash Silk Scarf after Leftovers as the better option if you're not running Substitute.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
remove kabu mention

also holly's slashing is much neater because 1st+2nd slots are supposed to be moves that "all X should have" but idk if its an actual rule or preference

you should mention revengers in c&c chatot isn't that fast

Cut the Encore point from Usage Tips; it's not on the set anymore. Make a mention of Chatter's ability to help you set up.

Hidden Power Grass on Choice Specs doesn't hit Quagsire because:
252 SpA Choice Specs Chatot Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 382-450 (96.9 - 114.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

You can also mention Hidden Power Ground to hit Probopass while still hitting Rhydon.

QC 1/3

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Lord Alphose , Steelix and Mega Steelix leaving is pretty big for Chatot. I'm not convinced Heat Wave is even necessary anymore, and Sub / Nasty Plot / Dual STAB should probably be the main set, with Heat Wave just mentioned in moves for, uh, ohkoing ferroseed I guess.

Anyway there's a lot of mentions of banned Pokemon in this still, including Virizion, Steelix, Mega Steelix, and Heliolisk. Remove them please! :)

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Overview
  • The points are way too generic. What do Boomburst and Chatter allow it to specifically? Why is its Speed "nice?" You're just regurgitating a bunch of dry facts about stats and movepool which is right on the analysis page already.
Sub
  • In Set Details, you say it can run Silk Scarf if not running Substitute, which shouldn't be a thing because non-Choice Chatot should always run Sub.
  • Usage Tips make no sense. You talk about Encore which is in OO, and you explain next to nothing about its playstyle throughout the game.
  • Team Options needs way more detail too, you don't even list any examples of spinners / Defoggers / Fighters, and you should definitely be able to list more teammates.
Specs
  • Why is there no bullet point for Hidden Power?
  • UT needs way more detail here too, when and when doesn't it use each move and what points should it be used the most?
Lord Alphose

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)