Chatot

[OVERVIEW]

Chatot is a rather niche Pokemon in the RU metagame. It receives fierce competition from Meloetta and Exploud, both of which have better Special Attack. Chatot is also much frailer than these Pokemon and doesn't appreciate Stealth Rock. However, Chatot manages to differentiate itself from these Pokemon with its base 91 Speed, which allows it to outpace important Pokemon such as Venomoth, Rotom-C, Meloetta, and Hitmonlee, as well as its colorful movepool consisting of options such as Nasty Plot, Encore, Chatter, Boomburst, and U-turn.

[SET]
name: Nasty Plot
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Boomburst
move 3: Heat Wave / Chatter
move 4: Encore / Substitute
item: Life Orb / Leftovers
ability: Tangled Feet
nature: Timid
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Nasty Plot raises Chatot's Special Attack to fairly high levels. Boomburst hits hard with 140 Base Power and bypasses Substitute. Heat Wave hits Bronzong, Registeel, Escavalier, and Mega Steelix for considerable damage. However, Chatter can be used instead to confuse foes and give Chatot a better opportunity to set up a Nasty Plot. Encore punishes setup sweepers, entry hazard setters, and Pokemon trying to recover HP, giving Chatot free turns to set up. Chatot can also use Encore to take advantage of its immunities to Ground- and Ghost-type moves such as Earthquake and Shadow Ball, respectively. Substitute is another option to protect Chatot from status moves and strong attacks.

Set Details
========

The given EVs and a Timid nature give Chatot some power behind its attacks while taking full advantage of Chatot's unique Speed tier. Life Orb boosts Chatot's damage output by a considerable amount. Leftovers allows Chatot to recover damage taken from Substitute. Leftovers should only be used if running Substitute, as Chatot is very weak without Life Orb. Focus Sash is also a decent item choice, as it guarantees a Nasty Plot boost; it should be noted, however, that entry hazard removal is necessary if you opt for Focus Sash.

Usage Tips
========

This set is prone to being revenge killed, so make sure that Choice Scarf users, faster Pokemon, and priority users are out of the way before attempting a sweep. Chatot should only be coming into the battlefield on free switches because of its putrid bulk. It's a good idea to switch into harmless status moves, use Encore, and then set up a Nasty Plot on the switch if the opposing team is sufficiently weakened. Setting up a Substitute is also a good idea against Pokemon such as Alomomola and Amoonguss, as it allows Bouffalant to avoid Toxic and Spore, respectively, and begin boosting up with Swords Dance.

Team Options
========

Entry hazard removers such as Hitmonlee and Flygon are necessary if Chatot is running Focus Sash, but this isn't as important if it's running a different item, as Chatot isn't really meant to be taking hits. If Chatot is not running Heat Wave, it appreciates having teammates that can lure in and weaken or KO Steel-types, such as Choice Band Tyrantrum, Mega Glalie, and, ironically, Exploud. Chatot also appreciates help from offensive Pokemon that can hit Rock-types hard, such as Tangrowth, Virizion, Scrafty, and Clawitzer. Chatot benefits greatly from being paired with an entry hazard setter such as Omastar, Accelgor, or Qwilfish, as Chatot can switch into and take advantage of opposing Defoggers with Encore. U-turn or Volt Switch users such as Meloetta, Eelektross, and Rotom-C can bring Chatot into battle without taking a hit.

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Boomburst
move 2: Heat Wave
move 3: Chatter / Hidden Power Grass
move 4: U-turn
item: Choice Specs

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Boomburst is the move Chatot will be using most often, as its 140 Base Power rips through anything that doesn't resist it, even if the foe is behind a Substitute. Heat Wave muscles past Steel-type Pokemon such as Bronzong, Registeel, Escavalier, and Mega Steelix. Chatter is a great utility move to spread confusion if Chatot has a free turn. Alternatively, Hidden Power Grass nails Omastar, Jellicent, Rhyperior, and Seismitoad. U-turn, although not very powerful, allows Chatot to keep up momentum on its side of the field. It also serves as a safe option if you are unsure of what your opponent will switch into.

Set Details
========

When combined with maximum investment in Special Attack, Choice Specs gives Chatot the power it needs to break through RU's bulkiest walls. Choice Specs also lets Chatot achieve some KOs that it cannot get with a Life Orb, such as Exploud and Rotom-C with Boomburst, Durant with Boomburst after Stealth Rock, and the 2HKO on Mega Steelix with Heat Wave. The Speed investment along with a Timid nature makes use of Chatot's ability to outspeed popular Pokemon such as Rotom-C and Meloetta.

Usage Tips
========

This set should be used to break down defensive Pokemon for its team. Note that being locked into a single move makes this set easy to take advantage of. Keep Chatot away from faster Pokemon, as they can revenge kill Chatot due to its frailty and average Speed. When you're not sure of what your opponent is going to do, it is best to scout with U-turn.

Team Options
========

Entry hazard removers such as Hitmonlee and Flygon are greatly appreciated, as they can keep Stealth Rock off the field. Both Pokemon can also remove Rock- and Steel-types from the field to make it easier for Chatot to spam its STAB moves. As this set forces switches, entry hazard support from the likes of Omastar, Uxie, and Mesprit can help Chatot OHKO or 2HKO certain Pokemon. Uxie's Thunder Wave support can help make Chatot less prone to being revenge killed. Being a wallbreaker, this set pairs well with faster Pokemon such as Jolteon, Sneasel, and Accelgor that can come in and clean up the weakened opposing team. Scrafty demolishes Ghost-, Rock-, and Steel-type Pokemon, allowing Chatot to spam Boomburst more often. Pokemon such as Jolteon, Rotom-C, Flygon, and Eelektross can create a powerful VoltTurn core that is good at wearing down the opposing team as well as keeping Chatot healthy. Dugtrio can trap and KO weakened Rock- and Steel-types, paving the way for a possible sweep.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

Other Options
============
A Choice Scarf set is a decent option, as Chatot sits in an interesting Speed tier; however, such a set would be too weak and frail compared to other users of the item. Roost gives Chatot a way to heal itself, but it lacks room for the move and is too frail to use Roost reliably. Agility can be used with a Modest nature to boost Chatot's Speed and outpace most revenge killers; however, Chatot has a hard time finding setup opportunities as well as KOing Pokemon without a Special Attack boost. If you're desperate for a Defogger, you can try to fit Defog onto one of Chatot's sets, but it's generally better to focus on sweeping or breaking down walls with Chatot rather than trying to fill other roles.

Checks and Counters
=================

**Offensive Pressure**: Faster offensive Pokemon such as Durant, Sigilyph, and Flygon can outspeed and OHKO Chatot with their respective STAB moves.

**Priority**: Due to Chatot's frailty, priority attacks such as Spritomb's Sucker Punch, Fletchinder's Acrobatics, and Ice Shard from Sneasel and Mega Glalie can easily pick it off.

**Rock- and Steel-types**: Though Chatot has the coverage for them, Rock- and Steel-types such as Kabutops, Omastar, Rhyperior, Mega Steelix, and Bronzong nonetheless wall Chatot's STAB attacks and can severely damage it back, set up Stealth Rock, or, in Bronzong's case, cripple it with status.

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Remove Moltres mention in c&c, beef it up a bit (add more examples and explain what they do to chatot and what they do back, shouldn't be hard) and maybe remove the dedicated walls part, cu Slowking cant take +2 boomburst w/ LO without being AV or spdef and if its spdef without SpA investment then it can't kill back... so yeah.

Remove Focus Sash slash from the 1st set and keep it in set details.

QC approved 1/3 I guess Rollout Shuckle

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ok. A fair few mons are kind of outdated (no big shock since April was the last time this got checked o.o go us) anyway, I'll just spoiler mons that need to be removed at the end and do my normal run through now:

[Nasty Plot]
- Add Flygon as a hazard remover. It can also weaken the Rock and Steel mons Chatot can't handle on its own (especially if it lacks Heat Wave)
- Make mention of Eelektross since it has the slowest Volt Switch in the tier
- Accelgor is a notable Spikes user considering it too can Encore an undesirable move and let Chatot in for free

[Choice Specs]
- Add Seismitoad as an HP Grass target
- Again, add Flygon as a hazard remover and note its ability to remove Rocks and Steels to make spamming STAB moves easier
- Scrafty can demolish Ghosts Rocks and Steels
- Add Uxie as a hazard setter. Its TWave support can make Chatot less prone to being revenge killed
- VoltTurn cores. Jolteon, Rotom-C, Flygon, and Eelektross are notable here

[Choice Scarf]
- I'd mention faster Steels, such as Cobalion and Durant, for Heat Wave targets on this set
- More than ever, add Flygon for hazard removal for reasons stated in the first two sets
- Scrafty again for bashing Ghosts Rocks and Steels, AKA, the resists to your STABs
- A check to Scarf Flygon since it's the only common Scarfer that may outspeed Chatot (most run Adamant, but it's better to be safe) Cobalion can work since Flygon can't risk EQ vs. Chatot most of the time

[Other Options]
- Wow, this thing is so limited lmao

[Checks and Counters]
- Add Mega Glalie as an Ice Shard user
- Mega Steelix, not normal Steelix

And now for the removal stuff. I will suggest suitable replacements if you want to keep the base idea with the mon menitoned:

Mega Sceptile. Tangrowth and Virizion can handle most Rock-types
Mega Abomasnow. Mega Glalie is a suitable replacement. Similar job when it comes to checking Chatot
Doublade. Not really in need of replacing since you have other Steel-types mentioned with Heat Wave targets

Rollout Shuckle I'll take another look at this once the changes are implemented to make sure I got everything before approving.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Rollout Shuckle, you still need to replace Mega Abomasnow with Mega Glalie in the priority section. Also add Sneasal to this section as well. Looks ok otherwise, so

QC Approved 2/3

This is almost fully written up now, but it just crossed my mind; is the Scarf set actually viable? It seems like it is too weak (base 92 SpA) and frail to revenge kill anything relevant, not to mention that its coverage is pretty bad. I've used it a bit on the ladder but it seems outclassed by Braviary and more like OO material. Tagging 49 Arikado Spirit for QC input / discussion.

edit: Added Agility to OO

Last edited:
apologies, not a pokemon i use much, so i was waning away from checking it for a bit haha

i'm honestly in favour of the removal of scarf, since (beyond having a neat speed tier) it brings very little to the table here, and honestly is a bit too weak / frail, to the point where boomburst really isn't enough to warrant its use.

the overview is kinda weird at this time; chatot is very much the type of pokemon that you need to convince the user is viable in the overview, and in order to do that, you have to be specific. i'd be highlighting its base 91 speed, as despite being under a few relevant benchmarks (slower than the common base 95's, sigilyph, flygon, virizion, and durant being the most significant), it does put it over venomoth / meloetta / hitmonlee / rotom-a, which is something it holds over exploud, who is one of the closer things you'll see as a competitor for chatot's desired role in this tier. mention that it this speed, as well as some utility in nasty plot and potentially encore, make this occasionally worth using over similar pokemon, but otherwise, one is better off using something like exploud, meloetta, etc. you shouldn't be looking to sell this 'mon to someone, you're looking to accurately relay what it does, and chatot is a 'mon with a very narrow niche.

encore doesn't so much cripple defensive pokemon as it does punish them for throwing non-attacking moves (including healing up vs chatot itself), allowing chatot to find free turns a little better and somewhat making up for poor bulk. it's also probably worth noting this can occasionally take advantage of its immunities, encore locking something like a rhyperior earthquake to set up on it.

just give a brief expansion on the ev + nature, just so it isn't absolutely bare-bones. mentioning how his speed tier is useful is really enough imo. everything could stand for a bit more, really; mention how weak chatot is without life orb, that leftovers should be run exclusively with sub, and that focus sash turns hazard removal into a necessity, rather than just a suggestion (plus it also means losing the damage output of life orb).

these partners are also really vanilla. i say this with a lot of newer writers, and i 100% understand b.c i did the same back when, but saying "fire-types are good b.c they beat steel-types" just isn't overly useful, as a.a user reading this is expected to know as much and b.in a realistic situation, the player with the steel-type is inclined to switch out of the fire-type, barring extraneous circumstances. perhaps mentioning stuff like cb tyrantrum, exploud, or another such pokemon that can beat steels and actually coerces them to switch in would make solid options here, but we don't need to be teaching the type chart in analyses haha. as for hazard removal, i honestly don't think its that big a deal here; chatot is neither switching around much nor taking hits with this set, so trying to increase its longevity honestly isn't too crucial. unless you wanna put a blip about it in relation to focus sash, i honestly think you can just drop it altogether.

on specs, mention jellicent as an hp grass target. also seismitoad to an extent, since occasionally there comes a circumstance under which it becomes better to hit it with that rather than boomburst. also mention u-turn serves as more of a "safe" option for when you are unsure if the opp will go to their steel or bulky water, for an example. just to give the set details a bit more meat, i'd address what the dmg output of specs > lo achieves; for instance, this is now ohkoing exploud (well, 93.8% of the time), durant after sr via boomburst, rotom-c, and 2hkoing spdef m-lix w/heat wave, among other things.

as i said, you can move scarf to other options. i'd say that "offensive pressure" in and of itself deserves a mention in checks & counters, given that it's really hard for this 'mon to grab free turns against offense, which essentially "checks" it.

sorry that this is a lot of stuff, but you did a solid job with this, really, and i'm big on nitpicking haha. gj dude

3/3

Hey 49 thanks a lot for the feedback, I appreciate it. I've been noticing the stuff about the Team Options, trying to improve on that haha. Anyway I implemented your check even though it took forever and I have to say, the analysis looks a lot better now. Oh yeah, and we're on GP now!

amcheeck

Add (AC) = Add Comma
Remove (RC) = Remove Comma
(Comments)

[OVERVIEW]

Chatot is a rather has a niche Pokemon (niche is a noun. I'm not sure if my correction portrays the meaning you were trying to go for or not) in the RU metagame. It receives fierce competition from Meloetta and Exploud, both of which whom have better Special Attack and more bulk. However, Chatot manages to differentiate itself from these Pokemon. Chatot's because of its base 91 Speed stat that allows it to outpace important Pokemon such as Venomoth, Rotom-C, Meloetta, and Hitmonlee. Chatot also sports a ,(AC) and its colorful movepool consisting of options such as Nasty Plot, Encore, Chatter, Boomburst, and U-turn. However, Chatot is much frailer than its competition and doesn't appreciate Stealth Rock damage. Make sure to take advantage of Chatot's perks; otherwise, you're better off using another Pokemon.

[SET]
Nasty Plot
########

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Nasty Plot is Chatot's boosting move of choice, raising its Special Attack to fairly high levels. Boomburst is Chatot's primary STAB attack, hitting many things hard with its 140 base power Power and bypassing Substitute. Heat Wave hits Bronzong, Registeel, Escavalier, and Mega Steelix for considerable damage. However, Chatter can be used instead to confuse foes and to give Chatot a better opportunity to set up a Nasty Plot. Encore punishes setup sweepers, hazard setters, and Pokemon trying to recover HP, giving Chatot free turns to set up. Chatot can also use Encore to take advantage of its immunity to moves like Earthquake and Shadow Ball. Substitute is an option to protect Chatot from status and strong attacks.

Set Details
========

The EVs and nature give Chatot some power behind its attacks while taking full advantage of Chatot's unique Speed tier. Life Orb boost Chatot's damage output by a considerable amount. Leftovers allows Chatot to make up damage taken from Substitute. Leftovers should only be used if running Substitute, as Chatot is very weak without a Life Orb. Focus Sash is also a decent item choice, as it guarantees a Nasty Plot boost; it should be noted,(RC) however,(RC) that hazard removal is necessary if you opt for Focus Sash.

Usage Tips
========

This set is prone to revenge killing, so make sure Choice Scarf users, faster Pokemon, and priority users are out of the way before attempting a sweep. Chatot should only be coming into the battlefield on free switch-ins because of its putrid bulk. It's a good idea to switch into harmless status moves and use Encore, then set up a Nasty Plot on the switch if the opposing team is sufficiently weakened. Setting up a Substitute is also a good idea against Pokemon such as Alomomola and Amoonguss.

Team Options
========

Hazard removers such as Hitmonlee and Flygon are necessary if Chatot is running Focus Sash, but isn't as important if you're running a different item, as Chatot isn't really meant to be taking hits. If Chatot is not running Heat Wave, likes it appreciates having teammates that can lure in and weaken or KO Steel-types, such as Choice Band Tyrantrum, Mega Glalie, and, ironically, Exploud. Chatot also appreciates help from offensive Pokemon that can hit Rock-types hard, such as Tangrowth, Virizion, Scrafty, and Clawitzer. Chatot benefits greatly from being paired with an entry hazard setter such as Omastar, Accelgor, or Qwilfish, as Chatot can switch into and take advantage of opposing Defoggers with Encore. Finally, U-turn or Volt Switch users such as Meloetta, Eelektross, and Rotom-C can bring Chatot into battle without taking a hit.

[SET]
Choice Specs
########

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Boomburst is the move Chatot will be using most often, as its 140 Base Power rips through anything that doesn't resist it, including Substitute. Heat Wave muscles past Steel-type Pokemon such as Bronzong, Registeel, Escavalier, and Mega Steelix. Chatter is a great utility move for spreading to spread confusion if Chatot has a free turn. Alternatively, Hidden Power Grass nails Omastar, Jellicent, Rhyperior, and Seismitoad. U-turn, although not very powerful, allows Chatot to keep momentum on its side of the field. It also serves as a safe option if you are unsure what your opponent will switch into.

Set Details
========

When combined with maximum investment in Special Attack, Choice Specs gives Chatot the power it needs to break through RU's bulkiest walls. It also achieves some KOs that it cannot get with a Life Orb, such as OHKOing Exploud,(AC) and Rotom-C, OHKOing Durant with Boomburst after Stealth Rock, and 2HKOing Mega Steelix with Heat Wave. The Speed investment along with a Timid nature makes use of Chatot's ability to outspeed important Pokemon such as Rotom-C and Meloetta.

Usage Tips
========

This set should be used to break down defensive Pokemon for its team. Note that being locked into a single move makes this set easy to take advantage of. Keep Chatot away from faster Pokemon, as they can revenge kill Chatot due to its frailty and its average Speed. When you're not sure what your opponent is going to do, it is probably best to scout with U-turn.

Team Options
========

Hazard removers such as Hitmonlee and Flygon are greatly appreciated, as they keep Stealth Rock off the field. Both Pokemon can also remove Rock- and Steel-types from the field to make it easier to for Chatot to spam its STAB moves. As this set forces switches, entry hazard support from the likes of Omastar, Uxie, and Mesprit can help Chatot OHKO or 2HKO certain Pokemon. Uxie's Thunder Wave support can help make Chatot less prone to revenge KOs. Being a wallbreaker, this set pairs well with faster Pokemon such as Jolteon, Sneasel, and Accelgor that can come in and clean up the weakened opposing team. Scrafty demolishes Ghost-, Rock-, and Steel-type Pokemon, allowing Chatot to spam Boomburst more often. Pokemon such as Jolteon, Rotom-C, Flygon, and Eelektross can create a powerful VoltTurn core that is good at wearing down the opposing team as well as keeping Chatot healthy. Finally, Dugtrio can trap and KO weakened Rock- and Steel-types, paving the way for a possible sweep.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

Other Options
########
A Choice Scarf set is a decent option, as Chatot sits in an interesting Speed tier; however, such a set would be too weak and frail compared to other users of the item. Roost gives Chatot a way to heal itself, but it lacks room for the move and is too frail to use Roost reliably. Agility can be used with a Modest nature to boost its Speed and outpace most revenge killers; however, Chatot has a hard time finding setup opportunities as well as KOing Pokemon without a Special Attack boost. If you're desperate for a Defogger, you can try to fit Defog onto one of its sets, but it's generally better to focus on sweeping or breaking down walls with Chatot rather than trying to fill other roles.

Checks & Counters
########

**Offensive Pressure**: Faster offensive Pokemon such as Durant, Sigilyph, and Flygon can outspeed and OHKO Chatot with their respective STAB moves.

**Priority**: Due to Chatot's frailty, priority attacks such as Spritomb's Sucker Punch, Fletchinder's Acrobatics, and Ice Shard from Sneasel or Mega Glalie can easily pick it off.

**Rock- and Steel-types**: Though Chatot has the coverage moves for both,(RC) Rock- and Steel-types,(AC) Pokemon such as Kabutops, Omastar, Rhyperior, Steelix, and Bronzong nonetheless wall Chatot's STAB attacks and can severely damage it back, set up Stealth Rock, or in Bronzong's case, inflict a status it.

dom

Banned deucer.
Chatot has base 92 special attack, while exploud has base 91. So, technically, chatot has more raw special attack than exploud.

Chatot has base 92 special attack, while exploud has base 91. So, technically, chatot has more raw special attack than exploud.
True, but Exploud has Scrappy to hit through Ghost-types and can afford to run a Modest nature because of its decent bulk. This means that Exploud usually has more power than Chatot, although I agree that their damage output is similar.

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Add
Remove

Comment

[OVERVIEW]

Chatot is a rather niche Pokemon in the RU metagame. It receives fierce competition from Meloetta and Exploud, both of which have better Special Attack and more bulk. Chatot is also much frailer than its competition and doesn't appreciate Stealth Rock. However, Chatot manages to differentiate itself from these Pokemon. Chatot's with its base 91 Speed stat that allows it to outpace important Pokemon such as Venomoth, Rotom-C, Meloetta, and Hitmonlee, as well as its. Chatot also sports a colorful movepool consisting of options such as Nasty Plot, Encore, Chatter, Boomburst, and U-turn. However, Chatot is much frailer than its competition and doesn't appreciate Stealth Rock. Make sure to take advantage of Chatot's perks; otherwise, you're better off using another Pokemon.

[SET]
Nasty Plot
########

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Nasty Plot is raises Chatot's boosting move of choice, raising its Special Attack to fairly high levels. Boomburst is Chatot's primary STAB attack, hitting many things hard with its 140 Base Power and bypassing Substitute. Heat Wave hits Bronzong, Registeel, Escavalier, and Mega Steelix for considerable damage. However, Chatter can be used instead to confuse foes and to give Chatot a better opportunity to set up a Nasty Plot. Encore punishes setup sweepers, entry hazard setters, and Pokemon trying to recover HP, giving Chatot free turns to set up. Chatot can also use Encore to take advantage of its immunity immunities to Ground- and Ghost-type moves like such as Earthquake and Shadow Ball, respectively. Substitute is another option to protect Chatot from status moves and strong attacks.

Set Details
========

The given EVs and a Timid nature give Chatot some power behind its attacks while taking full advantage of Chatot's unique Speed tier. Life Orb boosts Chatot's damage output by a considerable amount. Leftovers allows Chatot to make up recover damage taken from Substitute. Leftovers should only be used if running Substitute, as Chatot is very weak without a Life Orb. Focus Sash is also a decent item choice, as it guarantees a Nasty Plot boost; it should be noted, however, that entry hazard removal is necessary if you opt for Focus Sash.

Usage Tips
========

This set is prone to revenge killing, so make sure that Choice Scarf users, faster Pokemon, and priority users are out of the way before attempting a sweep. Chatot should only be coming into the battlefield on free switch-ins switches because of its putrid bulk. It's a good idea to switch into harmless status moves, (AC) and use Encore, and then set up a Nasty Plot on the switch if the opposing team is sufficiently weakened. Setting up a Substitute is also a good idea against Pokemon such as Alomomola and Amoonguss.

Team Options
========

Hazard Entry hazard removers such as Hitmonlee and Flygon are necessary if Chatot is running Focus Sash, but this isn't as important if you're it's running a different item, as Chatot isn't really meant to be taking hits. If Chatot is not running Heat Wave, likes it appreciates having teammates that can lure in and weaken or KO Steel-types, such as Choice Band Tyrantrum, Mega Glalie, and, ironically, Exploud. Chatot also appreciates help from offensive Pokemon that can hit Rock-types hard, such as Tangrowth, Virizion, Scrafty, and Clawitzer. Chatot benefits greatly from being paired with an entry hazard setter such as Omastar, Accelgor, or Qwilfish, as Chatot can switch into and take advantage of opposing Defoggers with Encore. Finally, U-turn or Volt Switch users such as Meloetta, Eelektross, and Rotom-C can bring Chatot into battle without taking a hit.

[SET]
Choice Specs
########

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Boomburst is the move Chatot will be using most often, as its 140 Base Power rips through anything that doesn't resist it, including even if the foe is behind a Substitute. Heat Wave muscles past Steel-type Pokemon such as Bronzong, Registeel, Escavalier, and Mega Steelix. Chatter is a great utility move for spreading to spread confusion if Chatot has a free turn. Alternatively, Hidden Power Grass nails Omastar, Jellicent, Rhyperior, and Seismitoad. U-turn, although not very powerful, allows Chatot to keep up momentum on its side of the field. It also serves as a safe option if you are unsure what your opponent will switch into.

Set Details
========

When combined with maximum investment in Special Attack, Choice Specs gives Chatot the power it needs to break through RU's bulkiest walls. It also achieves some KOs that it cannot get with a Life Orb, such as OHKOing Exploud and Rotom-C (with what?), OHKOing Durant with Boomburst after Stealth Rock, and 2HKOing Mega Steelix with Heat Wave. The Speed investment along with a Timid nature makes use of Chatot's ability to outspeed important Pokemon such as Rotom-C and Meloetta.

Usage Tips
========

This set should be used to break down defensive Pokemon for its team. Note that being locked into a single move makes this set easy to take advantage of. Keep Chatot away from faster Pokemon, as they can revenge kill Chatot due to its frailty and average Speed. When you're not sure of what your opponent is going to do, it is probably best to scout with U-turn.

Team Options
========

Hazard Entry hazard removers such as Hitmonlee and Flygon are greatly appreciated, as they can keep Stealth Rock off the field. Both Pokemon can also remove Rock- and Steel-types from the field to make it easier to for Chatot to spam its STAB moves. As this set forces switches, entry hazard support from the likes of Omastar, Uxie, and Mesprit can help Chatot OHKO or 2HKO certain Pokemon. Uxie's Thunder Wave support can help make Chatot less prone to being revenge KOs killed. Being a wallbreaker, this set pairs well with faster Pokemon such as Jolteon, Sneasel, and Accelgor that can come in and clean up the weakened opposing team. Scrafty demolishes Ghost-, Rock-, and Steel-type Pokemon, allowing Chatot to spam Boomburst more often. Pokemon such as Jolteon, Rotom-C, Flygon, and Eelektross can create a powerful VoltTurn core that is good at wearing down the opposing team as well as keeping Chatot healthy. Finally, Dugtrio can trap and KO weakened Rock- and Steel-types, paving the way for a possible sweep.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

Other Options
########=============
A Choice Scarf set is a decent option, as Chatot sits in an interesting Speed tier; however, such a set would be too weak and frail compared to other users of the item. Roost gives Chatot a way to heal itself, but it lacks room for the move and is too frail to use Roost reliably. Agility can be used with a Modest nature to boost its Chatot's Speed and outpace most revenge killers; however, Chatot has a hard time finding setup opportunities as well as KOing Pokemon without a Special Attack boost. If you're desperate for a Defogger, you can try to fit Defog onto one of its sets, but it's generally better to focus on sweeping or breaking down walls with Chatot rather than trying to fill other roles.

Checks & and Counters
########===================

**Priority**: Due to Chatot's frailty, priority attacks such as Spritomb's Sucker Punch, Fletchinder's Acrobatics, and Ice Shard from Sneasel or and Mega Glalie can easily pick it off.

**Rock- and Steel-types**: Though Chatot has the coverage for both, Rock- and Steel-types such as Kabutops, Omastar, Rhyperior, Mega Steelix, and Bronzong nonetheless wall Chatot's STAB attacks and can severely damage it back, set up Stealth Rock, or, (AC) in Bronzong's case, cripple it with status it.

ForgottenOnes I used some of your stuff, and you did quite a good job with making that sentence in the overview flow well. However, be sure to look over my check because you missed some important details. Also, a few things to remember for next time:
  1. Never use "who(m)" to refer to a Pokemon; always use "which" or "that."
  2. The term for the power of a move is Base Power, which is capitalized.
  3. In the overview, the writer meant that Chatot is a niche Pokemon. It's not the most viable thing in RU.
GP 1/2

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Rollout Shuckle

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[OVERVIEW]

Chatot is a rather niche Pokemon in the RU metagame. It receives fierce competition from Meloetta and Exploud, both of which have better Special Attack and more bulk. Chatot is also much frailer than its competition these Pokemon and doesn't appreciate Stealth Rock. However, Chatot manages to differentiate itself from these Pokemon with its base 91 Speed stat that, (AC) which allows it to outpace important Pokemon such as Venomoth, Rotom-C, Meloetta, and Hitmonlee, as well as its colorful movepool consisting of options such as Nasty Plot, Encore, Chatter, Boomburst, and U-turn.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Nasty Plot raises Chatot's Special Attack to fairly high levels. Boomburst is Chatot's primary STAB attack, hitting many things hits hard with its 140 Base Power and bypassing bypasses Substitute. Heat Wave hits Bronzong, Registeel, Escavalier, and Mega Steelix for considerable damage. However, Chatter can be used instead to confuse foes and to give Chatot a better opportunity to set up a Nasty Plot. Encore punishes setup sweepers, entry hazard setters, and Pokemon trying to recover HP, giving Chatot free turns to set up. Chatot can also use Encore to take advantage of its immunities to Ground- and Ghost-type moves such as Earthquake and Shadow Ball, respectively. Substitute is another option to protect Chatot from status moves and strong attacks.

Set Details
========

The given EVs and a Timid nature give Chatot some power behind its attacks while taking full advantage of Chatot's unique Speed tier. Life Orb boosts Chatot's damage output by a considerable amount. Leftovers allows Chatot to recover damage taken from Substitute. Leftovers should only be used if running Substitute, as Chatot is very weak without Life Orb. Focus Sash is also a decent item choice, as it guarantees a Nasty Plot boost; it should be noted, however, that entry hazard removal is necessary if you opt for Focus Sash.

Usage Tips
========

This set is prone to being revenge killing killed, so make sure that Choice Scarf users, faster Pokemon, and priority users are out of the way before attempting a sweep. Chatot should only be coming into the battlefield on free switches because of its putrid bulk. It's a good idea to switch into harmless status moves, use Encore, and then set up a Nasty Plot on the switch if the opposing team is sufficiently weakened. Setting up a Substitute is also a good idea against Pokemon such as Alomomola and Amoonguss. why is this? Be sure to explain :o

Team Options
========

Entry hazard removers such as Hitmonlee and Flygon are necessary if Chatot is running Focus Sash, but this isn't as important if it's running a different item, as Chatot isn't really meant to be taking hits. If Chatot is not running Heat Wave, it appreciates having teammates that can lure in and weaken or KO Steel-types, such as Choice Band Tyrantrum, Mega Glalie, and, ironically, Exploud. Chatot also appreciates help from offensive Pokemon that can hit Rock-types hard, such as Tangrowth, Virizion, Scrafty, and Clawitzer. Chatot benefits greatly from being paired with an entry hazard setter such as Omastar, Accelgor, or Qwilfish, as Chatot can switch into and take advantage of opposing Defoggers with Encore. U-turn or Volt Switch users such as Meloetta, Eelektross, and Rotom-C can bring Chatot into battle without taking a hit.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Boomburst is the move Chatot will be using most often, as its 140 Base Power rips through anything that doesn't resist it, even if the foe is behind a Substitute. Heat Wave muscles past Steel-type Pokemon such as Bronzong, Registeel, Escavalier, and Mega Steelix. Chatter is a great utility move to spread confusion if Chatot has a free turn. Alternatively, Hidden Power Grass nails Omastar, Jellicent, Rhyperior, and Seismitoad. U-turn, although not very powerful, allows Chatot to keep up momentum on its side of the field. It also serves as a safe option if you are unsure of what your opponent will switch into.

Set Details
========

When combined with maximum investment in Special Attack, Choice Specs gives Chatot the power it needs to break through RU's bulkiest walls. It Choice Specs also let Chatot achieves some KOs that it cannot get with a Life Orb, such as OHKOing Exploud and Rotom-C with Boomburst, OHKOing Durant with Boomburst after Stealth Rock, and 2HKOing the 2HKO on Mega Steelix with Heat Wave. The Speed investment along with a Timid nature makes use of Chatot's ability to outspeed important popular Pokemon such as Rotom-C and Meloetta.

Usage Tips
========

This set should be used to break down defensive Pokemon for its team. Note that being locked into a single move makes this set easy to take advantage of. Keep Chatot away from faster Pokemon, as they can revenge kill Chatot due to its frailty and average Speed. When you're not sure of what your opponent is going to do, it is probably best to scout with U-turn.

Team Options
========

Entry hazard removers such as Hitmonlee and Flygon are greatly appreciated, as they can keep Stealth Rock off the field. Both Pokemon can also remove Rock- and Steel-types from the field to make it easier for Chatot to spam its STAB moves. As this set forces switches, entry hazard support from the likes of Omastar, Uxie, and Mesprit can help Chatot OHKO or 2HKO certain Pokemon. Uxie's Thunder Wave support can help make Chatot less prone to being revenge killed. Being a wallbreaker, this set pairs well with faster Pokemon such as Jolteon, Sneasel, and Accelgor that can come in and clean up the weakened opposing team. Scrafty demolishes Ghost-, Rock-, and Steel-type Pokemon, allowing Chatot to spam Boomburst more often. Pokemon such as Jolteon, Rotom-C, Flygon, and Eelektross can create a powerful VoltTurn core that is good at wearing down the opposing team as well as keeping Chatot healthy. Dugtrio can trap and KO weakened Rock- and Steel-types, paving the way for a possible sweep.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

Other Options
============
A Choice Scarf set is a decent option, as Chatot sits in an interesting Speed tier; however, such a set would be too weak and frail compared to other users of the item. Roost gives Chatot a way to heal itself, but it lacks room for the move and is too frail to use Roost reliably. Agility can be used with a Modest nature to boost Chatot's Speed and outpace most revenge killers; however, Chatot has a hard time finding setup opportunities as well as KOing Pokemon without a Special Attack boost. If you're desperate for a Defogger, you can try to fit Defog onto one of its Chatot's sets, but it's generally better to focus on sweeping or breaking down walls with Chatot rather than trying to fill other roles.

Checks and Counters
=================

**Priority**: Due to Chatot's frailty, priority attacks such as Spritomb's Sucker Punch, Fletchinder's Acrobatics, and Ice Shard from Sneasel and Mega Glalie can easily pick it off.

**Rock- and Steel-types**: Though Chatot has the coverage for both them, Rock- and Steel-types such as Kabutops, Omastar, Rhyperior, Mega Steelix, and Bronzong nonetheless wall Chatot's STAB attacks and can severely damage it back, set up Stealth Rock, or, in Bronzong's case, cripple it with status.

2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)