SM RU Cheers!

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Cheers - An RU Team

Introduction
Hi everyone! You might not know me but I go by Decem on Showdown. I had originally started playing RU since I signed up for the seeded tour along with my friend Haakunite, but I have recently started hanging out in the room on Showdown and laddering for fun. This RarelyUsed team is one of the first ones I built when I first started playing the tier. RarelyUsed is a nice tier that I enjoy and I wanted to showcase one of my first teams to kick off so here it is!

Building Proccess
Milotic is one of my favorite Pokemon and a blanket check to many offensive threats because of its natural bulk and defensive typing so I decided to use start with it. I gave Milotic Dragon Tail in order to go with Spikes and Competitive to punish Defoggers.

As all competitive teams need a Stealth Rocker, I thought of having a Stealth Rocker on my team to make it viable. I decided to go with Bronzong since it had a nice Ground immunity and was anti-meta to a degree according to the friendly people in the tier's room. I made it specially defensive in order to

As many teams needed a spiker because of the popularity of hazard stacking in RarelyUsed, I decided to go with the most consistent spiker in the entire tier, Chesnaught, as I was just starting out with the tier. Chesnaught gives a nice Ground resist, as well as a Zydog switchin, does stack Spikes very consistently and easy.

To counterplay the amount of hazard stacking I saw in the tier, I needed a form of hazard control. I wasn't very fond of Decidueye or Gligar so I decided to use a Magic Bouncer instead. Espeon looked like a nice offensive option. I already had quite a few defensive Pokemon on my team, so I decided to choose Espeon over Xatu. I decided to slap a Z-Crystal onto Espeon since I needed Espeon to be able to switch attacks while needing that extra power to punch through walls. I brought up the idea of Morning Sun + 3 attacks Espeon to Haaku and Groove but they both laughed at the thought, so I decided to use Calm Mind in conjunction with a Z-Move to wallbreak.

Now I needed a check to one of the most threatening Pokemon in the tier: Salazzle. As my defensive core of Chesnaught, Bronzong, and Milotic struggled to check Salazzle with a Z-Crystal, I decided to rely on an offensive option to check the monster. As there were few Pokemon that naturally outsped Salazzle, I decided to run a Scarfer with Psychic moves to knock Salazzle out, hence why I added Gardevoir to the team.

My favorite part of building a team: choosing a Mega Evolution. The first ones that came to mind were Mega Camerupt and Mega Glalie, which I have both seen Romanticist use. It was very hard to choose a Mega evolution, as Mega Camerupt traded its Speed for a better defensive typing and power, while Glalie was a nice spikes stacker that I didn't need due to already having Chesnaught on the team. I tested them both out and found them quite underwhelming, as Mega Camerupt's low speed left it to get revenge killed easily and Mega Glalie's terrible defensive typing limited its switching in noticeably due to Stealth Rock. Instead, I decided not to go with a Mega Evolution and threw Zydog onto the team due to its high consistency on hazard stacking teams.

The Team

Majesty (Milotic) @ Leftovers

Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Scald
- Dragon Tail
- Recover

As a bulky water type, Milotic offers much in the RU tier. It is able to soft check common threats in the tier for my team such as Nidoqueen, Zygdog and Doublade, while countering some such as Mega Steelix Feraligatr, and Mega Glalie. Dragon Tail is especially useful to phase out Pokemon that rely on setup to break Milotic, such as Doublade, Feraligatr and Durant, while also racking up Spikes damage from Chesnaught. Just a splashable Pokemon that is useful against many playstyles, a great addition to any team imo.

dong (Bronzong) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psywave
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Bronzong is my Stealth Rock setter due to its unique ability in Levitate that sets it apart from other bulky Steel types such as Registeel.

chester (Chesnaught) @ Rocky Helmet

Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Wood Hammer
- Taunt
- Synthesis

Chesnaught is a consistent spikes setter while it is able to use its defensive stats to hard counter some of the deadliest physical attackers in the tier such as Feraligatr and Zydog. It forms a nice defensive core with Milotic and Bronzong too.

PsyCat (Espeon) @ Psychium Z
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind
- Psychic

- Dazzling Gleam
Espeon is my only form of hazard control and can punish its usual switchins such as Milotic Umbreon or Florges using a z move boosted by Calm Minds. Dazzling Gleam and Shadow Ball which can be used to hit Dark types and opposing Psychic types respectively. Although it's defensive capabilities are noticeably lower than Xatu's, its offensive presence and high speed greatly makes up for that.

Helen (Gardevoir) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

- Trick
Gardevoir provides speed control using a Choice Scarf and can revenge kill threats such as Salazzle using it. Trick is used over Healing Wish to cripple any potential switchins that Scarf Gardevoir may have (bar Mega Steelix, of course).

Dradog (Zygarde-10%) @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Toxic

Although having shaky defenses, Zygarde-10% can take advantage of Chesnaught's Spikes and force switches using its insane offensive potential. It can also revenge kill with Extreeme Speed and badly poison its usual checks with Toxic. Always a nice addition to any hazard stacking team.

Majesty (Milotic) @ Leftovers
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Scald
- Dragon Tail
- Recover

dong (Bronzong) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psywave
- Toxic
- Earthquake

chester (Chesnaught) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Wood Hammer
- Taunt
- Synthesis

Helen (Gardevoir) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Trick

Espeon @ Psychium Z
Ability: Magic Bounce
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam

Zygod (Zygarde-10%) @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Toxic

--------------------------------
This team is by far one of my favorites to use in RU and I hope that you guys enjoyed it! If there is anything to be fixed, please do say so in the comments below, or talk to me on Showdown! as Decem, as I am just an amateur at this tier.

Shoutouts
Shoutout to my friends in the Monotype community since they're the reason I'm still on this website. Shoutout to Romanticist for getting me into the tier and being the best shitposter I've met. Shoutout to aGroove for being a cool person to talk to and shoutout to Haakunite for being one of my best friends on this website and congratulations on his roomvoice in Monotype. And last but not least, shoutout to teachable for recommending me to do a RMT to kick off in RU.

I hope you enjoyed taking a look at this team!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)