Chesnaught [QC 0/3]

alexwolf I'll add Roar back in, but Synthesis is a bit weird. Recovery is weird when you could just get HP back later, and if you have the teammates I mentioned in Team Options such as Heatran, then it could take care of Venusaur far better than Chesnaught ever could. Do you have the same idea as Jukain as what the set even is? Like I've mentioned in the analysis, Chesnaught is a lot of things. You seem to think Chesnaught is more of a wall. Also, what should the set name be?

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Reliable recovery is reliable recovery, simple as that. When you are using Chesnaught to take on specific threats, such as Gyarados, Aegislash, Excadrill, and Bisharp, you need to stay healthy to do so. If the opponent has Mega Venusaur alongside those threats then you can't do this and those Pokemon will eventually overwhelm you without Synthesis.

Please get rid of Poison Jab. As I previously stated it doesn't even beat the shit you're trying to hit with it. It's a complete waste of a moveslot.

After trying out Chesnaught a bunch, I've found I agree with you in that Roar's usage is both limited and counter-productive to leech seed, in case you care :p.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Overview

Instead of listing every single small pro of Chesnaught, try to merge them into pros that describe Chesnaught's effectiveness in the metagame:
  • Decent physical wall that checks some dangerous offensive threats (Aegislash, Excadrill, Tyranitar, Garchomp)
  • Decent annoyer with Spiky Shield + Leech Seed, which is particularly effective against VoltTurn teams
  • Has reliable recovery and decent offensive presence
As for its cons, its big list of weaknesses, inability to check many dangerous physical attackers, and low Speed are its main ones. Its HP is decent and its movepool is big enough to do what it needs, so remove those two.

Main Set

Moves

Hammer Arm is a solid STAB option that can deal damage alongside Leech Seed.
Hammer Arm is useful to immediately deal with threats weak to it, such as Excadrill, Tyranitar, and Ferrothorn, not because it has any particular synergy with Leech Seed, so be sure to change your sentence.

Synthesis is useful with outlasting Mega Venusaur and keeping itself healthy when the damage from attackers is too much to heal from Leftovers and Leech Seed.
Synthesis is useful to have any kind of reliable recovery when Mega Venusaur is on the opposing team, not to fight it 1 v 1 and pp stall it. It is also useful when you are taking big amount of damage, where Leech Seed recovery just isn't enough. Change your sentence accordingly.

Roar is a useful option when a sweeper sets up and they won't switch out from Leech Seed for obvious reasons. It can also disrupt momentum from switches from Leech Seed.
Provide some important examples (SD Aegislash, Sludge Wave-less Gengar, SD Garcomp).

Usage Tips

Remember that Chesnaught has Bulletproof! It gives it a wide variety of switch in options such as Aegislash and mixed Mega Lucario.
Mixed Lucario is very rare, so replace it with a better example, such as Gengar sets without Sludge Wave.

Explain that Leech Seed should be spammed whenever possible (when the opponent lacks Grass-types), and that it should be followed by Spiky Shield if the opponent doesn't have set up moves.

Team Options

Barbaracle hits Flying-types with Stone Edge and is capable of using Chesnaught's chip damage to get past walls it normally couldn't.
Replace this with a more relative example.

Other Options

Remove everything you have there, those are all useless options. Instead, put Spikes, Stone Edge, and Seed Bomb.

You are also lacking a ''Set Details'' section, so make sure to include one.

alexwolf Most of the changes I agree with. I didn't mention how spamming Leech Seed helped out when fighting VoltTurn team because the switching out means that Chesnaught can't really do anything else. I also didn't list Synthesis as "reliable" in the overview because Tyranitar and Hippowdon are so common, thus reducing Synthesis's recovery levels. Do you agree with these?

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
alexwolf Most of the changes I agree with. I didn't mention how spamming Leech Seed helped out when fighting VoltTurn team because the switching out means that Chesnaught can't really do anything else. I also didn't list Synthesis as "reliable" in the overview because Tyranitar and Hippowdon are so common, thus reducing Synthesis's recovery levels. Do you agree with these?
Synthesis is reliable recovery for two reasons: There are plenty of teams without Hippowdon and Tyranitar, and both of those don't want to switch into Chesnaught. Yeah, sand may already be up, but don't forget that you still have Leech Seed in this case, and scenarios where both Leech Seed and Synthesis can't be used are very rare.

Also, vs VoltTurn teams, that's why you have SR up, which adds up quickly with Leech Seed + Spiky Shield damage. Also, because Chesnaught can't do much to prevent Lati@s from using Defog and getting rid of SR, mention some Pursuit partners, such as Scizor and Bisharp.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
You could touch upon Chesnaught's surprisingly competent offensive movepool of Bulk Up and Belly Drum plus attacks like Wood Hammer, Earthquake, Stone Edge, and Shadow Claw....then list out reasons why going offensive with Chesnaught isn't a good idea.

I dunno about that guy, but could AV possibly work on it ? It has a decent offensive movepool (Dunno if it should use Seed Bomb or Wood Hammer though.) and a very good physical bulk.

I'm not going to add that, and I think alexwolf and some other people would agree with me. Chesnaught doesn't even have that good of an Attack stat, and it's HP and Speed suck for an offensive role. If you wanted a Fighting-type AV user, you should just use Conkeldurr.

We talked about this on IRC, and while I'm not QC, Jukain supported this as well. You should make two sets, one that's a tank that stalls with Leech Seed and Spiky Shield, and the other a hazard setter and shuffler with Spikes and Roar.

move 1: Spiky Shield
move 2: Leech Seed
move 3: Hammer Arm / Seed Bomb (this doesn't need to be slashed, but it's a nice move to have)
move 4: Synthesis
ability: Bulletproof
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
nature: Impish

move 1: Spikes
move 2: Roar
move 3: Hammer Arm / Seed Bomb
move 4: Synthesis
ability: Bulletproof
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
nature: Impish

Basically, Synthesis is mandatory as fairly reliable, quick recovery on both sets that isn't blocked by Grass-types, while you of course need an attack, and the sets are split up into synergistic combinations of moves. Leech Seed and Spiky Shield combine to stall for a long time, while Roar shuffles Pokemon on the hazards that you set up with Spikes and also keeps out Defoggers. Simply being a hazard setter that can't damage Defoggers doesn't take away the value of those hazards, so it is worth a set.

What? A post? What is this wizardry?

On a more serious note, I think this is a fantastic idea. Chesnaught has Spikes, which is pretty significant, but the set Jukain made is very effective as well. I'll add that set as soon as I finish my homework.

you should add heatran in the teammates option. it takes care of talonflame while also taking psychic and fire type attacks aimed at chesnaught. chesnaught in return handles ground and water type attacks. tran can also setup stealth rocks pressurizing talonflame and other flying types attemping to come in on chesnaught.

I labeled this as WIP. I need to test this to see whether or not Spikes is worth using over things like Ferro, Forry, etc.

Maybe irrelevant but Aegislash can run Flash Cannon too which fucks it up big time too.

252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Chesnaught: 265-312 (69.7 - 82.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Could we please not have Theorymon talk like Petrico94 just did? I'd like to focus on the facts of here and now in a QC article.

EDIT: The post was removed. Thanks to the moderator, whoever it was! :)

Last edited:
Bisharp is a good teammate to have if Defog comes into play or Gengar wants to use Sludge Wave (be careful of focus blast, however). However, it doesn't enjoy either a fire attack or Will-o-wisp.

Trevenaunt is the biggest threat not only to Chesnaught, but to your team. It can either use Will-o-wisp or leech seed on the pokemon you switch into, so plan accordingly. Talonflame would be an obvious choice to absorb Will-o-wisp and hit back before switching out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)