Pokémon Chesnaught (Revamp Occurring)

What variant of Bulk Up should I do?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if Bulletproof blocks any moves besides the ones azureleaf17 listed?

Maybe Focus Blast? Bullet Punch? Multi-hit moves?

Too much good stuff on this fellow.
So far I'm assuming the Impish nature is going to stick but now with the reveal of spikes I'm at a loss on how to build this guy.

I initially sought to get him as
-Spiky Shield
-Substitute
-Leech Seed
-Grass STAB(Seed Bomb/Wood Hammer) or Fight STAB (Hammer Arm)

But synthesis sounds too good and also there is the bulk up route here. What are your thoughts guys?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Afaik nobody bothered actually testing Spiky Sheild so I'm just going to confirm real quick the damage it does is 1/8

Odd note coming from the breeding Smeargle with Chespin, I can confirm that Drain Punch and Shell Smash(though looking at earlier posts in this thread I guess that was already confirmed, shoulda came here first before trying) can not be bred onto Chespin. I heard rumors and got excited and thought it would be amazing if it were true.

Did not pan out that way though.

Anyone think of any odd things that can be bred onto Chespin through Smeargle shenanigans? Any ideas? I'm willing to try a few plausible ones.

Last edited:
I don't know why people don't have spikes in any of the suggested movesets, seeing as it could learn via egg move.

Odd note coming from the breeding Smeargle with Chespin, I can confirm that Drain Punch and Shell Smash(though looking at earlier posts in this thread I guess that was already confirmed, shoulda came here first before trying) can not be bred onto Chespin. I heard rumors and got excited and thought it would be amazing if it were true.

Did not pan out that way though.

Anyone think of any odd things that can be bred onto Chespin through Smeargle shenanigans? Any ideas? I'm willing to try a few plausible ones.
I have tried the following with no success using a Smeargle:
Rapid Spin, Toxic Spikes, Stealth Rock, Drain Punch, Mach Punch, Close Combat, Superpower, Power Whip, Storm Throw, Focus Punch, Sucker Punch, Pursuit, Zen Headbutt, Bullet Punch.

The ones I can confirm are: Spikes, Synthesis, Rollout, and Curse

I'd appreciate if you would try out Leaf Blade, Horn Leech, and Cross Chop. I don't have access to those move for sketching.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
what pokemon did you use to get spikes as an egg move?
Smeargle.

Really a shame it doesn't gets drain punch still its propably one of the best Ferrothron switch-ins being immune to leech seed and gyro ball as well as resisting Power Whip all while being able to threaten with a SE stab move. I don't think it will actually be OU, but it got great utility resisting Ground, Rock, Water, Dark and Grass and having enough bulk to make good use out of its typing. Spikes are really great given that its offense is nothing to write home about so it can support the team even if there is something on the opposing team it can't threaten.

Last edited:
for a fighting type its unable to learn so many important moves like drain punch mach punch etc....does GF like breloom so much to make it irreplacable

This thing will be a complete beast in doubles. Hammer arm is great and is made even better by trick room. And well, we all know how good of a move protect is in doubles, and the fact that it has a move with the same effect plus damage makes it an appealing choice to say the least all by itself. Added bonus for killing fake out (along with aegislash).

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
Correction: Gengar can get Sludge Wave since Gastly gets it through the Dream World. However, unless some Bulletproof users start gaining a lot of popularity and can actually shut Sludge Bomb Gengar down, it probably won't be worth giving up a 30% chance to poison for 5 measly BP.
Correct: Until pokemon bank is out, dream world ONLY moves cannot be used due to them not being availible in gen 6 yet

It's a shame that he doesn't learn none of the most powerful moves of his second type, but it's probably more meant to be an offensive supporter than a sort of bulky sweeper.
BTW, if someone manage to baton pass him, he would be unstoppable. Especially considering he's not weak to any priority bar Ice Shards, but I think he's enough bulk to resist at leat once. During my game he was never 1HKO, even against strong supereffective moves (but never flying type).

It's a shame that he doesn't learn none of the most powerful moves of his second type, but it's probably more meant to be an offensive supporter than a sort of bulky sweeper.
BTW, if someone manage to baton pass him, he would be unstoppable. Especially considering he's not weak to any priority bar Ice Shards, but I think he's enough bulk to resist at leat once. During my game he was never 1HKO, even against strong supereffective moves (but never flying type).
Grass/Fighting is a solid defensive typing resisting EdgeQuake, water, dark, grass, electric, Bulletproof provides immunity to sludge bomb, shadow ball, focus blast, aura sphere. Immunity to spore/sleep powder.

Compare defenses:
Chesnaught: 88/122/75
Gliscor: 75/125/75

I can see this set:
Chesnaught@Leftovers
Impish
HP 252/Def 252
Spikes
Leech Seed
Spiky Shield/Stone Edge
Hammer Arm

Last edited:
Sigh, I was so hoping for a Leech Seed/Substitute/Drain Punch/Spiky Shield set. Still, could Belly Drum and Synthesis be viable? Perhaps:
Chesnaught@Leftovers
Impish
HP 252/SpDef 128/Atk 128
Leech Seed
Spiky Shield
Power Up Punch
Seed Bomb/Wood Hammer/EQ/Generic wide coverage move

Fairly balanced defenses, with recovery from LS and Lefties, boosting and avoiding Taunt with Power Up Punch, hitting hard with final slot. Maybe put more in to defenses and less in to HP, like 252 in Def and SpDef, 4 in Atk, for better LS recovery? Eh, I want this guy to be good, but I'm terrible at sets like this...

Correct: Until pokemon bank is out, dream world ONLY moves cannot be used due to them not being availible in gen 6 yet
Yeah, and give it about 2 months and that will be available. It's not really a correction because Gengar does get Sludge Wave and it will eventually be available, just not until December.

EDIT @ Below: I understand that, but these threads have been mostly theorymon to begin with. Until we get the full story on base stats, hidden abilities, move learnsets, etc., we won't actually have a real metagame. For all we know, it'll be December before we get enough info to start a solid 6th Gen OU ladder.

Last edited:
Yeah, and give it about 2 months and that will be available. It's not really a correction because Gengar does get Sludge Wave and it will eventually be available, just not until December.
We're trying not to talk about things that are unavailable until December 25th until it comes out, it helps discussion in the CURRENT metagame.

(though things like Landorus and Terrakion keep being mentioned, so...)

Has anybody tried to breed spiky shield Ferrothorn? It would be a great addition to him, incresing even more its stalling potential. Roserade may have it, too.

Razor shell, muddy water, blaze kick, leaf blade, leaf tornado were signature moves of starters but were not exclusive to them.

Reactions: DTC
Razor shell, muddy water, blaze kick, leaf blade, leaf tornado were signature moves of starters but were not exclusive to them.
Razor shell isn't a signature move. Muddy water WAS a signature move and exclusive to swampert line until it stopped being one in Gen IV. Blaze kick and Leaf Blade are the same as Muddy Water. Leaf tornado was never a signature move.

Chesnaught is the only pokemon to gain Spiky Shield via leveling up. It's very unlikely that a thematically perfect move found on only one pokemon will be available as an egg move to another. Also consider that the two other starters have thematically fitting moves only available to them and it's pretty obvious that all 3 are signature moves. It's probably already been tested, anyway. Next gen Ferrothorn might get Spiky Shield, though.

Good sets so far. I would like to add one of my own.
Chesnaught
Leftovers
252HP 196 Def 4 speed 88 At
Leech seed
Spiky shield
Belly drum
Seed bomb/hammer arm

The point is to belly drum on a switch out of leech seed and spiky shield + leftovers back to health, and then sweep with the appropriate coverage move. If they don't switch out of leech seed, then you get more recovery. It is meant to give the initial leech seed to a physical mon so that it will not be hit hard enough to prevent belly drumming. I think this set has potential once you remove all special attackers with SE moves. Any thoughts?

Flame wheel was also an exclusive move to the cyndaquil line back in gen 2

also is there a list of egg moves that have been confirmed/unconfirmed?

Hello, new to Smogon and competitive battling as a whole but I am trying to help with Gen. 6 and Chesnaught is one of my favorite new pokémon so I'll start here!

Most of you have said he typically isn't good as a sweeper, although I have found him to be a rather "decent" late-game sweeper with this set-

Leech Seed/Synthesis
Wood Hammer/Seed Bomb
Power-Up Punch
Spiky Shield

I haven't ever tested this with synthesis rather than leech seed, but it may work. I figure leech seed is better though. Wood Hammer gives much more power than seed bomb and also is not countered (as much) by other Chesnaught, but obviously does give recoil.
If you can switch into something it checks or counters, you can set up a leech seed on the switch (provided you have it) or Power-Up Punch (if your opponent does not have a Ghost type). From there you can spiky shield stall with leftovers to gain health while Power-Up Punching to gain attack boosts. Once you have enough, you can just wreck things with Wood Hammer/Seed Bomb or more Power-Up Punches.

This is MOST DEFINETLY a late-game sweeper, as you'll have to clear out many threats to Chesnaught before this will work as a full on sweep. However, I've had a lot of sucess on the Gen 6 Showdown beta with it, and it usually gets at least one kill and has saved my team several times.
I'm sure more experianced players can both see problems with this set and use it better than me, so I wanted to go ahead and put this up for discussion. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)