OU Chesnaught (Revamp)

(first analysis don't kill me)

1. This is Chesnaught right?
QC: AM/ Liberty32 / Tokyo Tom
GP: Starbloom / Winry

[OVERVIEW]

Chesnaught's great physical bulk allows it to shut down unprepared physical attackers such as Excadrill, Mega Lopunny, Bisharp, Tyranitar, and Terrakion. Its amazing ability Bulletproof grants it immunities to common attacks such as Shadow Ball, Gyro Ball, Focus Blast, and Sludge Bomb. Its good support movepool with Leech Seed and Spikes gives it means of supporting the team, but the biggest change to Chesnaught in ORAS has been the addition of Drain Punch. With it, Chesnaught is no longer reliant on Hammer Arm, which drops Chesnaughts Speed, and can sustain itself while also hitting the enemy for decent damage. On top of that, Chesnaught's naturally high physical bulk, even with no investment, and access to STAB Drain Punch gives it the ability to be a devastating Belly Drum sweeper thanks to its ability to recover health while sweeping. However, it has a huge number of weaknesses that hinder its defensive prowess, especially to Flying, which is made more problematic with the prevalence of Talonflame and Mega Pinsir in the current metagame. Its poor Special Defense inhibits it even further, meaning it is weak to many common special attackers. It's also very slow, meaning it can't naturally outspeed opposing walls. It also suffers from four-moveslot syndrome, as it is limited by its move choices. Additionally, Chesnaught faces competition from Ferrothorn as a defensive Spiker, who which boasts a better typing and defenses. Despite these drawbacks, Chesnaught still can be quite a threat under the correct circumstances.

[SET]
name: Physical Tank
move 1: Leech Seed
move 2: Drain Punch
move 3: Spikes
move 4: Wood Hammer / Spiky Shield
ability: Bulletproof
item: Leftovers
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Leech Seed is Chesnaught's main form of recovery and allows it to recover a lot of HP when used in combination with Spiky Shield. Drain Punch is Chesnaught's other form of recovery. Backed by STAB and solid Attack, Drain Punch allows Chesnaught to heal itself while still dishing out damage. Spikes gives Chesnaught utility by punishing opposing Pokemon as they switch in. Chesnaught can set up multiple layers of spikes due to its high physical bulk. Wood Hammer has an impressive Base Power of 120 and is a STAB move and can be used to handle common bulky Water-types and Ground-types such as Azumarill, Hippowdon, Swampert, Quagsire, and Gastrodon. Seed Bomb can be used for its lack of recoil damage, but it has less power. Spiky Shield could also allow Chesnaught to recover more HP in conjunction with Leech Seed while also enabling it to deal chip damage, lock Choiced Pokemon into their respective moves, and enable Chesnaught to better handle Gyarados, a huge boon for a defensive wall.

Set Details
========

The EVs are standard for a physical tank such as Chesnaught: max Defense and HP to make it as physically bulky as possible. More Attack and Speed can be used for more offensive prowess, at the cost of some bulk. Bulletproof is far superior to Overgrow, as it gives Chesnaught some helpful immunities to common attacks.

Usage Tips
========

Leech Seed with its passive damage and health restoration makes Chesnaught a great tank. Set up Leech Seed as soon as possible. Using Leech Seed on a Pokemon that cannot hurt Chesnaught very much will probably force a switch, and said switch should be capitalized on by setting up Leech Seed or Spikes. That said, Spiky Shield is still a great move that is ideal to use against Choiced foes, such as Keldeo, to scout moves and appropriately respond. If Spiky Shield is not being run, instead use Wood Hammer to force out Pokemon such as Azumaril and Gyarados. Spikes should be used on switches that Chesnaught forces with its sheer bulk, but be wary of Defog and Rapid Spin. Instead, take advantage of these switches by using Leech Seed once more. Drain Punch should be used whenever Chesnaught can get a chance to attack, as it deals damage and gives Chesnaught some health back. When facing a boosted enemy that Chesnaught can significantly damage, such as Bisharp, don't waste your time with Leech Seed or Spikes, as using them causes Chesnaught to take unnecessary damage; go for the KO with Drain Punch. Chesnaught hates status, so try to keep it free of these afflictions. Be wary of special attackers and don't let Chesnaught stay in for long in unfavorable situations.

Team Options
========

Chansey can heal status, provide good defensive synergy, and contribute Wish support. Heatran covers all of Chesnaught's defensive weaknesses, while Chesnaught covers Heatran's weaknesses to Fire and Water. In addition, Heatran's special bulk and Chesnaught's physical bulk complement each other. Heatran can also set up Stealth Rock to weaken Flying-types and continually shuffle foes with Roar. Slowbro and Slowking work well with Chesnaught as well, although Slowking has special bulk to complement Chesnaught's physical bulk and has access to Dragon Tail for synergy with entry hazards. Rotom-W provides Chesnaught with some switch-in opportunities while covering its weaknesses as well; Rotom-W's weakness to Grass is covered by Chesnaught. Rotom-H can also fit this role. Spinblockers can be valuable to Chesnaught because having its Spikes being removed by Rapid Spin would reduce its effectiveness.

[SET]
name: Sanic and Knuckles
move 1: Belly Drum
move 2: Substitute
move 3: Drain Punch
move 4: Seed Bomb
Item: Salac Berry
Ability: Overgrow / Bulletproof
Nature: Jolly
ev's: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
While it might seem outclassed by other Belly Drum users such as Azumarill at first, Chesnaught has access to STAB Drain Punch for recovery as well as reliable bulk, which allow it to be very threatening when it has set up. Chesnaught is also able to set up on some of the more common OU threats such as Mega Sableye, Rotom-W, Landorous-T, Breloom, Ferrothorn, Gliscor, and Gyarados. Substitute is used to help Chesnaught activate the Salac Berry and use Belly Drum safely. Seed Bomb is the preferred STAB move for this set, as Wood Hammer's recoil damage reduces Chesnaught's survivability. Alternatively, Chesnaught can run Rock Slide to deal with Pokemon such as Amoonguss, Celebi, Talonflame, and Mega Pinsir behind a sub. Drain Punch is a phenomenal move for Chesnuaght here; the health recovery gives Chesnaught an excellent means of recovery to complement Substitute and its naturally high bulk.

Set Details
========

12 HP EVs are used to ensure Chesnaught hits 25% of its health to activate the Salac Berry and keep as much health as possible. The rest of the EVs are put into Attack and then Speed for offense. Salac Berry is crucial for Chesnaught to sweep, as the Speed boost will enable Chesnaught to outpace its foes. Overgrow is the preferred ability here as it gives Chesnaught enough extra power to OHKO Latios with Seed Bomb. However, Bulletproof allows it to set up easier on Pokemon such as Gengar, Sableye, Venasaur, and other Pokemon with Sludge Bomb and Shadow Ball.

Usage Tips
========

Do not rush to set up Chesnaught, but instead wait until a good opportunity for it to set up appears. Switching into Pokemon that Chenaught can counter normally will allow it to have an easier time setting up. Try to lock Pokemon into moves that normally wouldn't hurt Chesnaught, such as Azumarill's Aqua Jet, Excadrill and Landorus's Earthquake, etc. Setting up Substitute will allow Chesnaught to safely set up on Pokemon that can cripple it with a burn, such as Mega Sableye. If your opponent has Pokemon that can take care of Chesnaught once it has set up, eliminate them first before trying to set up. Chesnaught can still reliably take some physical hits and even heal with Drain Punch if it needs to; feel free to do so if Chesnaught needs to switch into one of its typical counters such as an unboosted Bisharp or Excadrill. Make sure that all the Pokemon that can take care of Chesnaught at +6 Attack such as Amoongus, Celebi, Talonflame, and Mega Pinsir are off the field, unless Chesnaught still has a Substitute up when they switch in. Using Drain Punch at the earliest opportunity is crucial to this set in order to restore the health lost from Belly Drum.

Team Options
========
Slow U-turn and Volt Switch users are crucial for Chesnaught, as they can switch it in safetly and give it an opportunity to set up. Magnezone provides a slow Volt Switch for Chesnaught and can ward off Skarmory, while Scizor and Mega Scizor can provide slow U-turn, Defog, and Knock Off support. Rotom-W also is a great Volt Switch user and is able to take care of Talonflame and Mega Pinsir, which are two Pokemon that can eliminate Chesnaught if it doesn't have a Substitute set up. Rotom-H is another great Volt Switch user capable of taking care of Amoongus and Celebi, which can wall this set. Heatran can set up Stealth Rocks and provide good synergy with Chesnaught's typing. Defog and Rapid Spin support is also essential to Chesnaught in order for it to stay healthy as it switches in. Skarmory can set up entry hazards and also provide Defog support for Chesnaught.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options

=============
Chesnaught certainly doesn't lack in other options, but several of these are niches. Stone Edge can surprise Flying-types on the switch. Substitute on the defensive set can be used to give Chesnaught a way to handle status, and it can be used in combination with Spiky Shield and Leech Seed. Roar can be used for shuffling foes and racking up entry hazard damage. Super Fang can whittle down Pokemon that Chesnaught can't damage with it's usual STAB moves. Toxic is useful on more stall-based teams, and Taunt is fantastic for phazing and stopping setup sweepers.

Checks and Counters

=============

**Flying-types**: Flying-types such as Talonflame, Staraptor, and Mega Pinsir all threaten Chesnaught with their 4x super effective STAB moves. They do not appreciate switching into Leech Seed, however, and can be defeated by the Belly Drum set. Talonflame and Mega Pinsir do check the Belly Drum set, though.

**Taunt**: Chesnaught still hits reasonably hard with Drain Punch; however, it can easily be shut down by faster Taunt users such as Thundurus, Mandibuzz, and Mew. Taunt prevents Chesnaught from setting up Belly Drum.

**Mega Venusaur**: Mega Venusaur isn't affected by Leech Seed, can shrug off Drain Punch if carrying Synthesis, and deal heavy damage to Chesnaught with Hidden Power Fire.

**Fire-types**: Fire-Types such as Charizard, Heatran, Volcarona, and Mega Camerupt all threaten Chesnaught with their respective STAB moves, though they don't appreciate Leech Seed and are destroyed by Belly Drum-boosted attacks.

**Fairy-types**: Gardevoir, Sylveon, Mega Altaria and Clefable all can take care of Chesnaught. Clefable is a good answer to Chesnaught as its Magic Guard ability negates Leech Seed, and with Unaware it completely shuts down the Belly Drum set. Gardevoir, Sylveon, and Mega Altaria can bypass Substitute with hyper voice.

**Magic Bounce users**: Magic Bounce users can deflect Spikes and Leech Seed. Mega Diancie and Mega Sableye in particular can KO Chesnaught with Moonblast and cripple it with a burn, respectively. However, Diancie fears switching into a Grass-type attack, while Mega Sableye is setup fodder for the Belly Drum set when Chesnaught is behind a Substitute.

**Psychic-types**: Psychic-types such as Mega Metagross, Mega Gallade, the Latios, Latias, Gothitelle, Slowbro, and Medicham all threaten Chesnaught with their super effective moves. Even physical attackers such as Gallade and Medicham can eliminate Chesnaught with enough damage. However, most of these Pokemon don't appreciate taking Leech Seed and Spiky Shield damage, and they can only check the Belly Drum set.

**Rapid Spin and Defog users**: Rapid Spin and Defog users such as Latias, Excadrill, and Mandibuzz can remove the Spikes that Chesnaught set up.

**Gengar**: Gengar can set up a Substiture, threaten to burn with Will-O-Wisp, or OHKO Chesnaught with STAB Sludge Wave. However, Chesnaught can outspeed and OHKO Gengar at +6.

Last edited by a moderator:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Idk how QC wants to arrange this but I think the fact that it's being implied that mono attacking Chesnaught with just Drain Punch is potentially an option isn't fantastic. Without Grass STAB it's pretty much walled by any Fairy and generally bulky water types which includes Clefable, Azumarill, M-Swampert, Quagsire, Rotom-W, among others. If there's anything I would slash Spike with it would be with Spiky Shield as a secondary slash. I don't remember the last time where it was a necessity to run both and having Grass STAB is kind of important for the reasons above.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I disagree with not running Spikes on Chesnaught. A huge part of Chesnaught's niche is coming into physical attackers and setting Spikes. I can't imagine running Chesnaught without Spikes.

So i guess this means Chesnaught has some fourth moveslot syndrome. I'm definitely going to keep drain punch and leech seed as those moves are chesnaughts most reliable forms of recovery. I'll slash spiky shield with spikes and keep the grass type STAB as the last moveslot and keep the choice between wood hammer and seed bomb, although i might put seed bomb as an other option.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I disagree with not running Spikes on Chesnaught. A huge part of Chesnaught's niche is coming into physical attackers and setting Spikes. I can't imagine running Chesnaught without Spikes.
That's fine I'm more concerned with implying that a mono set is even viable when you consider it gets walled by much more without its secondary STAB.

Alright I am considering slashing synthesis with leech seed. Synthesis doesn't drain health like leech seed, but it is a reliable way of recovering chesnaught's health. This also means that spiky shield isn't as neccessary to run, meaning chesnaught can still run a grass type stab and spikes.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
TBH, Spiky Shield is pretty much required on Chesnaught. It is essential for Chesnaught to stall out a variety of Pokemon that Chesnaught fails to beat otherwise. If I were you I'd slash Spikes with Wood Hammer as you are usually better off catching them on the switch with Leech Seed, using Spiky Shield to stall them out a little and then switching out.
Alright I am considering slashing synthesis with leech seed. Synthesis doesn't drain health like leech seed, but it is a reliable way of recovering chesnaught's health. This also means that spiky shield isn't as neccessary to run, meaning chesnaught can still run a grass type stab and spikes.
Don't do that. It would only exasperate Chesnaught's 4MSS further. Not to mention that lefties+leech seed+drain punch is way more than enough recovery for Chesnaught as it is. Also a Chesnaught without Spiky Shield is kinda laughable as it is as it is one of its best defensive tools.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Synthesis is also bad because chesnaught is a great switch into tyranitar, who's sand really screws over the use of synthesis by limiting it to only 25% and not 50%.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mono-attacking Chesanught is definitely viable lol... The best set for Chesnaught by far is Drain Punch/Spiky Shield/Leech Seed/Spikes, this should definitely be the main set and I would not slash anything on it. Leech seed is mandatory, Spiky Shield is not quite as mandatory but still extremely useful and I have actually lost battles because I didn't run it and let it get flinched to death by Excadrill/Bisharp. Spikes are the entire point of Chesnaught, they enable you to wear down the opposing team a lot which is a big selling point.

Besides, Grass STAB really doesn't hit much tbh. AM, the only things you listed which grass STAB matters against are Quagsire (which is uncommon) and Azumarill (which you need to run tons of speed to properly check, if you want you can make that an alternate set and run grass STAB on that I guess but the main set runs no speed and is only checking AV Azumarill) Clefable is something Chensaught should under no circumstances be taking on, Azumarill is only worth hitting if you run a lot of speed, MSwampert just gets Leech Seeded, and Chesnaught has no business staying in on a WoW from Rotom-W since it absolutely hates getting burnt.

Honestly if I were to fit a second attack on Chesnaught (which you really can't), it would be Super Fang and not a grass STAB. Super Fang has really good utility, basically guaranteeing 50% damage early game which makes wearing stuff down a lot faster. Definitely give that move a mention if you're also going to mention grass STAB.

Ill put super fang as an other option for now but thanks for the insight!
Mono-attacking Chesanught is definitely viable lol... The best set for Chesnaught by far is Drain Punch/Spiky Shield/Leech Seed/Spikes this should definitely be the main set and I would not slash anything. Leech seed is mandatory, Spiky Shield is not quite as mandatory but still extremely useful and I have actually lost battles because I didn't run it and let it get flinched to death by Excadrill/Bisharp. Spikes are the entire point of Chesnaught, they enable you to wear down the opposing team a lot which is a big selling point.

Besides, Grass STAB really doesn't hit much tbh. AM, the only things you listed which grass STAB matters against are Quagsire (which is uncommon) and Azumarill (which you need to run tons of speed to actually check, if you want you can make that an alternate set and run grass STAB on that I guess but the main set runs no speed and is only checking AV Azumarill) Clefable is something Chensaught should under no circumstances be taking on, Azumarill is only worth hitting if you run a lot of speed, MSwampert gets Leech Seeded, and Chesnaught has no business staying in on a WoW from Rotom-W since it absolutely hates getting burnt.

Honsetly if I were to fit a second attack on Chesnaught (which you really can't), it would be Super Fang and not a grass STAB. Super Fang has really good utility, basically guaranteeing 50% damage early game which makes wearing stuff down a lot faster.

AM

LCPL Champion
Mono-attacking Chesanught is definitely viable lol... The best set for Chesnaught by far is Drain Punch/Spiky Shield/Leech Seed/Spikes, this should definitely be the main set and I would not slash anything on it. Leech seed is mandatory, Spiky Shield is not quite as mandatory but still extremely useful and I have actually lost battles because I didn't run it and let it get flinched to death by Excadrill/Bisharp. Spikes are the entire point of Chesnaught, they enable you to wear down the opposing team a lot which is a big selling point.

Besides, Grass STAB really doesn't hit much tbh. AM, the only things you listed which grass STAB matters against are Quagsire (which is uncommon) and Azumarill (which you need to run tons of speed to properly check, if you want you can make that an alternate set and run grass STAB on that I guess but the main set runs no speed and is only checking AV Azumarill) Clefable is something Chensaught should under no circumstances be taking on, Azumarill is only worth hitting if you run a lot of speed, MSwampert just gets Leech Seeded, and Chesnaught has no business staying in on a WoW from Rotom-W since it absolutely hates getting burnt.

Honestly if I were to fit a second attack on Chesnaught (which you really can't), it would be Super Fang and not a grass STAB. Super Fang has really good utility, basically guaranteeing 50% damage early game which makes wearing stuff down a lot faster. Definitely give that move a mention if you're also going to mention grass STAB.
Yeah I guess you have a point. Thanks for that.

I have to disagree with Albacore on Mono-Attack Chesnaught being it's best set. It isn't. Nor is Super Fang the next best. The added bulk in defense actually ISN'T that noticable. Let's demonstrate.

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Atk / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spikes
- Wood Hammer
- Drain Punch
- Leech Seed
The spread I'll use for all intents and purposes vs the current one.

Fast Ches Spread:
252 Atk Tyranitar Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Chesnaught: 142-168 (37.3 - 44.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Chesnaught: 153-181 (40.2 - 47.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Dead Bulk Spread
252 Atk Tyranitar Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 106-126 (27.8 - 33.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 114-136 (30 - 35.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Now.
32+ Atk Chesnaught Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tyranitar: 360-424 (105.5 - 124.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Chesnaught Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tyranitar: 316-376 (92.6 - 110.2%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

So you, 50% of the time, just eat more damage than not.

0 Atk Chesnaught Wood Hammer vs. 228 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 330-390 (82.9 - 97.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
32+ Atk Chesnaught Wood Hammer vs. 228 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 372-440 (93.4 - 110.5%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

That second one is on a CB Azumarill. Any Azumarill with less than 124 HP investment (aka BD, AV and any random jolly) is immediately killed. Not to mention the first chesnaught can't even do that because even non-jolly Azumarill will outspeed Chesnaught (specifically, any azumarill with more than 116 speed investment... Most).

That's the beauty of an attack-first Chesnaught: Speed. 224 is the mark to hit to outspeed 44 speed rotom-wash, meaning you also get Jolly Azumarill. You're faster than defensive heatran, faster than support TTar and faster than skarmory and anything base 91 speed no EVs (aka Landorus). The set doesn't lose much move-wise: You REALLY don't need Spiky Shield. In fact, I currently think Spiky Shield inhibits Chesnaught. Just free set-up/switch turns when your passive turns should be letting you spike or seed. And to "beating stuff you wouldn't otherwise"? Absolutely not. Show me Chesnaught beating Landorus-i even after he gets it seeded. It won't happen. You'd need substitute, be in first, have the sub up the turn lando comes in and seed him that turn. You certainly don't get mega Scizor that way. What do you really grab with that that is absolutely more important and consistent than the offensive presence grabbed by Wood Hammer to at least damage Mega Sable/Clef switches, kill Azumarill, Revenge Kill Rotom-wash from 70% min, or giving you a faster way to knock out and at least keep Medi, Gallade and multiple other fight resists from at least switching in easily?

I mean, even on resisted hits, look at your pressure output:

32+ Atk Chesnaught Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Zapdos: 67-79 (17.4 - 20.5%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery
32+ Atk Chesnaught Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Zapdos: 42-50 (10.9 - 13%) -- possibly the worst move ever
Mono attack spread? Lol
0 Atk Chesnaught Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Zapdos: 37-44 (9.6 - 11.4%) -- possibly the worst move ever

You are doing about 1.5x damage to a very, very defensive zapdos switchins. Assuming rocks, you could have that zapdos to 61% giving leftovers, which is a much more dangerous zone than 77% on mono-spread. Zap needs to consider roosting in one, the other he can go direct into an attack. Sure, in both it is reasonable to attack, but both have the same special bulk...

Now let's assume the same typing but on the offensive variant of Zapdos, Thundurus.

32+ Atk Chesnaught Wood Hammer vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 103-122 (34.4 - 40.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
32+ Atk Chesnaught Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 64-76 (21.4 - 25.4%) -- 0.2% chance to 4HKO
Oh, and let's compare this to the mono-attack set again:
0 Atk Chesnaught Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 57-67 (19 - 22.4%) -- possible 5HKO

So you go from dealing on the mono spread 53% max to 35% max on Thunudurus. Notice that after one attack, LO thundy cannot switch out again without dying. Vs defensive chesnaught, it can attack and maintain another switch, just enough to TWave your wincon, right?

Sure, you can state that all these calcs are irrelevant. The damage difference, however, is not. Wood Hammer's damage output is ALMOST DOUBLE drain punch from the offensive chesnaught to defensive chesnaught. Uhm yeah... that matters. Notice that even if you had Super Fang, you only gain 10% more on a resisted hit. I'm sorry, but mono-attack Chesnaught is a sub-par set on him.

Please remember that if you can spike on a turn you do not take a hit over spiking on a turn you do take a hit, you lose less health. Yes, pressure is a very good defensive tool for Chesnaught. If you can OUTSPEED a threat and kill it compared to taking a hit and killing it, you lose less health. Sometimes (ie azumarill) that is literally the difference between surviving and dying. And let's be honest, Chesnaught is not losing that much bulk, especially when his offensive spread lets him recover more on Drain Punch attacks. So even though I've sacrificed some defense, I'd argue this set not only hits harder, it survives longer.

So. What do you lose? Roughly 10% relevant bulk in pure defense when you talk about incredibly strong neutral attacks, nothing in special. When vs chip attacks, nothing leftovers isn't curing. You "lose" Spiky Shield. What do you gain? Everything above.

Last edited:
Remove Assault Vest, you lose out on Leech Seed/Spikes/Spikey Shield. I would slash Grass STAB with either Spikey Shield or Drain Punch, like Jukain said, Spikes is one of its biggest selling points. I don't think you need to mention Mega Pidgeot, considering you have two mentions of flying types.

Remove Assault Vest, you lose out on Leech Seed/Spikes/Spikey Shield. I would slash Grass STAB with either Spikey Shield or Drain Punch, like Jukain said, Spikes is one of its biggest selling points. I don't think you need to mention Mega Pidgeot, considering you have two mentions of flying types.
Assualt vest was more OO material but i could see some success with it since Chesnaught has great physical, relaible recovery in drain punch, a very sufficient movepool for an offensive mon, and a very sizeable base 107 attack stat. It see what quality control has to say but ill just leave it in OO for now. Also Drain punch imo is mandatory on Chesnaught. If i had to chose anything to slash a grass type stab with I would slash it with spikes because everything else is just too important to give up. Plus lots of the pokemon that chesnaught can do more damage to with a grass type STAB can be stalled out with leech seed, drain punch, and spiky shield.

I don't know if you've ever read the Chesnaught thread in OU, but it's generally agreed upon that AV is a subpar set.

However, can you please show me (via gameplay or calcs) how Spiky Shield is worth it over a second attack? Saying you would slash it over spikes makes me a bit worried because spikes, as Jukain has stated, is the reason to use chesnaught. While I think spikes is an excellent addition and not THE reason, I still agree that it is far more useful than Spiky Shield, so slashing anything over spikes without very good reason is questionable.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Gengar should be listed under counters. It resists both STABs, can potentially Taunt or Burn you, and OHKOs with Sludge Wave.

Espeon is actually a check since Wood Hammer will always 2HKO.

0 Atk Chesnaught Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Espeon: 205-243 (61.3 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Chesnaught Wood Hammer vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Espeon: 205-243 (75.6 - 89.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Dual Screens also fails to 2HKO while Offensive can only do so from the Wood Hammer recoil.
0 SpA Espeon Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 134-162 (35.2 - 42.6%) -- 91.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Espeon Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 164-194 (43.1 - 51%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

I don't know if you've ever read the Chesnaught thread in OU, but it's generally agreed upon that AV is a subpar set.

However, can you please show me (via gameplay or calcs) how Spiky Shield is worth it over a second attack? Saying you would slash it over spikes makes me a bit worried because spikes, as Jukain has stated, is the reason to use chesnaught. While I think spikes is an excellent addition and not THE reason, I still agree that it is far more useful than Spiky Shield, so slashing anything over spikes without very good reason is questionable.
Yes it is a sub-par option but that's why it's in OO not an actual main set. Plus times have changed now and Chesnaught has access to drain punch which gives him a reliable way to recover his health under the assualt vest. And I feel that spikes is a major reason to use Chesnaught but the other moves mentioned are just a shade more important. Drain punch is mandatory no questions asked, thats the reason Chesnaught deserved an analysis in the first place. Leech seed is Very important to Chesnaught and the combination of Spiky shield and leech seed allows Chesnaught to stall out opponents and regain health. Many of the pokemon that Chesnaught can hit super effectively with a grass type stab can also be stalled out with leech seed, spiky shield, and drain punch (though there are a great deal of exceptions). Another thing that makes spiky shield a very great move on Chesnaught is that it allows Chesnaught to scout out choice pokemon such as Keldeo, Terrakion, Diggersby, azumarill, gothitelle, magnezone, scizor, etc., that allows for simplification of prediction while also doing some chip damage to any banded pokemon. Again Chesnaught has a very bad case of 4MMS and this argument is showing that, but as far as I can tell, spikes is the only thing I can slash with a grass type stab move at the moment.

So. What do you lose? Roughly 10% relevant bulk in pure defense when you talk about incredibly strong neutral attacks, nothing in special. When vs chip attacks, nothing leftovers isn't curing. You "lose" Spiky Shield. What do you gain? Everything above.
Um, no, you're actually losing about 35% of your physical bulk by going from 252/252+ to 252/0. Not sure where this 10% number is coming from, especially when the loss of the +Def nature alone is already a 10% loss, and that's not even counting the addition EV investment that you're losing. That 35% is a pretty big deal. One of Chesnaught's main jobs is switching in and tanking hits, and it finds that a lot harder when it's losing a little over a third of its physical bulk. For instance:

252+ Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Excadrill Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 121-144 (31.8 - 37.8%) -- 32.8% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Excadrill Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Chesnaught: 164-192 (43.1 - 50.5%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Excadrill goes from being shut down quite nicely to being able to threaten with a slight chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock. Just a little more chip damage earlier in the match and Chesnaught becomes a very shaky answer to one of the things it normally counters.

252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 124-146 (32.6 - 38.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock, sandstorm damage, and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Chesnaught: 166-196 (43.6 - 51.5%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock, sandstorm damage, and Leftovers recovery

Not sure why you ran a calc against regular Tyranitar and not Mega Tyranitar, but whatever, this matchup is significantly worse as well.

252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 160-188 (42.1 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Chesnaught: 214-253 (56.3 - 66.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

I wouldn't recommend you make Chesnaught your only line of defense against Terrakion anyway, but at least 252/252+ Chesnaught can counter it the first time (and more than that if you're able to recover enough with Leech Seed or Synthesis).

252 Atk Mega Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 138-163 (36.3 - 42.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Mega Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Chesnaught: 186-219 (48.9 - 57.6%) -- 94.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

You go from being able to fairly safely take on Mega Lopunny to being whipped by a quite spammable STAB move (note: Spiky Shield would make Chesnaught even more dangerous against Mega Lopunny's High Jump Kick).

+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Diggersby Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 270-318 (71 - 83.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Diggersby Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Chesnaught: 363-427 (95.5 - 112.3%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

Another one of those things where Chesnaught probably shouldn't be your only answer, but at least 252/252+ Chesnaught has a great shot at stopping Diggersby from sweeping you completely.

If you want me to come up with more calcs, I'm sure I could, but the fact is that the extra bulk lets Chesnaught take hits signficantly better than 252/0 Chesnaught. You can't just ignore that. The extra speed may help it to technically survive longer against a lot of slower things, but when so many of the Pokemon it's supposed to be switching in on are faster than it could ever dream of being, then running that much speed isn't really helping anyone. I also think you're really underestimating the utility of Spiky Shield (albeit I wouldn't say it's mandatory like some people have). Just like with any other Pokemon that runs Protect, the ability to scout the opponent's move/set is pretty nice, especially against Choice Pokemon. Also, if you're running Leech Seed > Synthesis, then it's actually pretty important for making sure you get the most out of Leech Seed recovery. If all you're able to do is throw out Leech Seed on the switch before you're forced out by the switch-in (which happens a lot against offensive teams that generally have things that can pressure Chesnaught), then you're really not getting much recovery back at all, usually well under 20% of your health when factoring in Leech Seed + Leftovers. That's not really much recovery, all things considered. Being able to use Spiky Shield as the switch-in tries to kill you lets you net an extra turn of Leech Seed + Leftovers, which doubles the amount of recovery you have and as such lets you survive significantly longer. The extra passive damage is nice too; you get one extra turn of Leech Seed damage, plus another chunk of damage if the opponent tried to hit you with a contact move. Even if you don't have Leech Seed active, being able to stall for one more turn worth of Leftovers recovery can be handy. If you want an example:

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Chesnaught: 169-200 (44.4 - 52.6%) -- 22.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

If you have Spiky Shield to stall for that extra 6.25% HP, you'll be able to safely switch into Specs Keldeo's Hydro Pump at least once even if Stealth Rock is on the field. Oh, and on that note...

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 130-154 (34.2 - 40.5%) -- 96.7% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Chesnaught: 175-207 (46 - 54.4%) -- 53.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

...252/252+ Chesnaught takes Secret Sword way better than the fast set. Just saiyan.

TL;DR: I'm not opposed to a faster spread being mentioned in Set Details or something, but the extra physical bulk is actually pretty important on a Pokemon for whom a major job is taking physical hits and who will be likely outran by some of its more offensive targets regardless of speed investment. The main spread should reflect this.

Ok I think ive changed my stane on this a little bit. I do feel that spiky shield is very important but I think that spikes is just as important. Many of these points I will take into consideration. Ajwf I will definitely mention that more speed can be used to outpace certain opponents and hit them with the respective grass type stab. I am considering slashing spiky shield with a grass type stab, but I need to see what QC has to say and the subject and if anyone else has something to say about this issue. In the end this just shows Chesnaught's bad case of 4MMS.

Um, no, you're actually losing about 35% of your physical bulk by going from 252/252+ to 252/0. Not sure where this 10% number is coming from, especially when the loss of the +Def nature alone is already a 10% loss, and that's not even counting the addition EV investment that you're losing. That 35% is a pretty big deal. One of Chesnaught's main jobs is switching in and tanking hits, and it finds that a lot harder when it's losing a little over a third of its physical bulk. For instance:

252+ Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Excadrill Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 121-144 (31.8 - 37.8%) -- 32.8% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Excadrill Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Chesnaught: 164-192 (43.1 - 50.5%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Excadrill goes from being shut down quite nicely to being able to threaten with a slight chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock. Just a little more chip damage earlier in the match and Chesnaught becomes a very shaky answer to one of the things it normally counters.

252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 124-146 (32.6 - 38.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock, sandstorm damage, and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Chesnaught: 166-196 (43.6 - 51.5%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock, sandstorm damage, and Leftovers recovery

Not sure why you ran a calc against regular Tyranitar and not Mega Tyranitar, but whatever, this matchup is significantly worse as well.

252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 160-188 (42.1 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Chesnaught: 214-253 (56.3 - 66.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

I wouldn't recommend you make Chesnaught your only line of defense against Terrakion anyway, but at least 252/252+ Chesnaught can counter it the first time (and more than that if you're able to recover enough with Leech Seed or Synthesis).

252 Atk Mega Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 138-163 (36.3 - 42.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Mega Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Chesnaught: 186-219 (48.9 - 57.6%) -- 94.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

You go from being able to fairly safely take on Mega Lopunny to being whipped by a quite spammable STAB move (note: Spiky Shield would make Chesnaught even more dangerous against Mega Lopunny's High Jump Kick).

+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Diggersby Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 270-318 (71 - 83.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Diggersby Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Chesnaught: 363-427 (95.5 - 112.3%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

Another one of those things where Chesnaught probably shouldn't be your only answer, but at least 252/252+ Chesnaught has a great shot at stopping Diggersby from sweeping you completely.

If you want me to come up with more calcs, I'm sure I could, but the fact is that the extra bulk lets Chesnaught take hits signficantly better than 252/0 Chesnaught. You can't just ignore that. The extra speed may help it to technically survive longer against a lot of slower things, but when so many of the Pokemon it's supposed to be switching in on are faster than it could ever dream of being, then running that much speed isn't really helping anyone. I also think you're really underestimating the utility of Spiky Shield (albeit I wouldn't say it's mandatory like some people have). Just like with any other Pokemon that runs Protect, the ability to scout the opponent's move/set is pretty nice, especially against Choice Pokemon. Also, if you're running Leech Seed > Synthesis, then it's actually pretty important for making sure you get the most out of Leech Seed recovery. If all you're able to do is throw out Leech Seed on the switch before you're forced out by the switch-in (which happens a lot against offensive teams that generally have things that can pressure Chesnaught), then you're really not getting much recovery back at all, usually well under 20% of your health when factoring in Leech Seed + Leftovers. That's not really much recovery, all things considered. Being able to use Spiky Shield as the switch-in tries to kill you lets you net an extra turn of Leech Seed + Leftovers, which doubles the amount of recovery you have and as such lets you survive significantly longer. The extra passive damage is nice too; you get one extra turn of Leech Seed damage, plus another chunk of damage if the opponent tried to hit you with a contact move. Even if you don't have Leech Seed active, being able to stall for one more turn worth of Leftovers recovery can be handy. If you want an example:

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Chesnaught: 169-200 (44.4 - 52.6%) -- 22.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

If you have Spiky Shield to stall for that extra 6.25% HP, you'll be able to safely switch into Specs Keldeo's Hydro Pump at least once even if Stealth Rock is on the field. Oh, and on that note...

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 130-154 (34.2 - 40.5%) -- 96.7% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Chesnaught: 175-207 (46 - 54.4%) -- 53.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

...252/252+ Chesnaught takes Secret Sword way better than the fast set. Just saiyan.

TL;DR: I'm not opposed to a faster spread being mentioned in Set Details or something, but the extra physical bulk is actually pretty important on a Pokemon for whom a major job is taking physical hits and who will be likely outran by some of its more offensive targets regardless of speed investment. The main spread should reflect this.
Okay, not going to lie: If you're using Chesnaught to take Keldeo, you're out of your mind. No matter what set you run, you don't win. Especially since Keldeo is going to have Icy Wind or HP Flying on a Specs set. If you're using a seed staller, how do you know you don't run into a CM Keldeo? Point is, Keldeo is not taken well by Chesnaught at all.

To his bulk: Between HP Investment and Physical investment, Chesnaught loses 13% overall physical bulk. I'm sure we can factor in Drain Punch to take a little more into this, with recovery with adamant as opposed to recovery without. As stated before, with the addition of Drain Punch, it helps Chesnaught attack and wall at the same time by recovering damage from hits.

On diggersby, another mon Chesnaught has no buisness against, you claim that bulk Chesnaught can at least "have a great shot" of stopping Diggersby. Are you sure you understand that you need to kill Diggersby to stop it?

4 Atk Chesnaught Drain Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Diggersby: 216-254 (69.2 - 81.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Yeah, not happening. You have a dead chesnaught and a diggersby that still has 20% HP min (Since your calcs were conviniently lacking a Life Orb...)

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 351-413 (92.3 - 108.6%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Funny how a life orb changes that. Really liking Chesnaught in that matchup. Now he loses regardless and you might not get a hit off of him.

For that Lopunny calc, you ignore the fact that with Drain Punch, Chesnaught recovers off all that extra damage...

32+ Atk Chesnaught Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lopunny: 204-242 (75.2 - 89.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO This is 204 min 242 Max
0 Atk Chesnaught Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lopunny: 182-216 (67.1 - 79.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO This is 216 damage max, 182 Min.

Looking at drain punch's description:
  • User recovers 50% of the damage dealt.
My Chesnaught spread gains back min of 102, max 121. The defensive set gains 91 min, 108 max. Chesnaught's HP count is 380. Adamant recovers max of 32%, min 26. Defensive recovers max 28%, min 23%. So as we were talking about earlier, that's 4% bulk back on the Chesnaught set for this attack. Neither are getting 2hko'd. Yes, on two attacks, the defensive set comes out better because Chesnaught can't recover off as much the second time, but my Chesnaught should still have at least 30%, assuming Lop hits two high roles. Yours comes out with a bit over 50. Yes, decidedly less bulk on two hits, but mine still has speed to take care of Azumarill even at 30% HP.

And so we can continue. Where you think you have a 2hko, my Chesnaught recovers off more HP. Loppuny is actually on the low end of the differences:

0 Atk Chesnaught Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Tyranitar: 240-288 (70.3 - 84.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Damage is 240 to 288, on a non-invested TTar-mega. Again, that's 120 HP to 144 HP. 32-38%.

32+ Atk Chesnaught Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Tyranitar: 268-324 (78.5 - 95%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
268 to 324. Lol that's anywhere from 134 HP to 162. 35-43%.... That TTar's damage isn't even relevant. And look at that beautiful shot to OHKO.

Need I point out that the difference in bulk here is really, really tight? In fact, 50% of the time, the speedy offensive chesnaught comes away with a higher health.

I get that you lose a bit of bulk. In reality, it isn't that much. However, if you're using Chesnaught on stall or balance, which are his two places, you generally need a more offensive mon to help balance out your own passiveness. I've used just about every set Chesnaught has... I have far over 500 matches with him since I built my third stall team using him. However, Spiky Shield gets you in trouble a lot. After your opponent sees it once, they play around it and expect it.

Really though, a huge flaw with defensive Chesnaught remains Azumarill. Azumarill counters are indeed difficult to come by when base for Slowbro doesn't eat a Play Rough after hazards. Grass types are generally expected to cover Azumarill and if they don't, they lose some viability. If I'm running Chesnaught where I could at least have ferrothorn to check most Azumarill and perform the same spike/seed stall, I have a bit of an issue justifying losing Azumarill. Especially since if you aren't so hazard inclined, you just room Amoongus, Mega Venusaur or even Tangrowth to help cover that (apparently Tangrowth does fairly well?). So that's something to think about when your balance/stall teams rely on a grass pokemon to take Azumarill, which Chesnaught most certainly does not with pure bulk.

To his bulk: Between HP Investment and Physical investment, Chesnaught loses 13% overall physical bulk. I'm sure we can factor in Drain Punch to take a little more into this, with recovery with adamant as opposed to recovery without. As stated before, with the addition of Drain Punch, it helps Chesnaught attack and wall at the same time by recovering damage from hits.
No. I don't know what you're doing wrong with your math, but Chesnaught is far more than 13% more bulky with a 252/252+ spread than a 252/0 spread. Their HP stats are the same, so you compare the Def stats and calculate like this:

0 Def Chesnaught: 280 Def
252+ Def Chesnaught: 377 Def

(377 - 280)/280 = 0.346 = 34.6% more physical bulk.

Or, you can calculate it based on damage calculations:

252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 160-188 (42.1 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Chesnaught: 214-253 (56.3 - 66.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

(66.5 - 49.4)/49.4 = 0.346 = 34.6% more damage taken on maximum rolls
OR
(56.3 - 42.1)/42.1 = 0.337 = 33.7% more damage taken on minimum rolls

No matter how you calculate it, max Def Chesnaught is around 34-35% more physically bulky than 0 Def Chesnaught, so I'm still not sure where you're getting these 10% / 13% numbers.

I mean, we can argue specific examples all day. Just to summarize my thoughts on your points:
4 Atk Chesnaught Drain Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Diggersby: 216-254 (69.2 - 81.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Yeah, not happening. You have a dead chesnaught and a diggersby that still has 20% HP min (Since your calcs were conviniently lacking a Life Orb...)
I didn't include Life Orb because the calculator didn't include it as a default and it is listed behind Focus Sash in the analysis. I haven't been playing enough lately to make a good judgement on which item is used more at the moment, so I took their word for it. Of course, I did plainly say that Chesnaught shouldn't really be your prime answer to Diggersby anyway, so there's that.
Yes, on two attacks, the defensive set comes out better because Chesnaught can't recover off as much the second time, but my Chesnaught should still have at least 30%, assuming Lop hits two high roles. Yours comes out with a bit over 50. Yes, decidedly less bulk on two hits, but mine still has speed to take care of Azumarill even at 30% HP.
~30% vs >50% is a pretty huge difference for a defensive Pokemon. Outside of beating Azumarill, the defensive set is going to be in considerably better shape later on.

And then the Mega Tyranitar stuff is kinda irrelevant unless you're letting something die every time you bring Chesnaught into Mega Tyranitar, which is pretty bad for a Pokemon who's supposed to counter Mega Tyranitar. If you bring it in directly, you risk dying to an Ice Punch 2HKO 64.5% of the time after Stealth Rock, so it really doesn't matter how much Drain Punch recovery you're getting back when you're dead.

But all that aside, running a faster spread causes you to lose way more bulk than you seem to realize. The speed is honestly not good for much else besides Azumarill, and even then, you still can't exactly switch into Azumarill directly lest you risk coming in on Play Rough. Not to mention that Azumarill isn't quite as big a deal as it was in XY. Most of the other things that Chesnaught is supposed to switch into are generally going to outspeed it regardless of how fast you are, and as such you're going to be worse off defensively against any of those threats. Even if you really wanted the extra power that Adamant provides alongside the resulting extra Drain Punch recovery, I think you'd be a lot better off moving those speed EVs to defense unless you just really needed another Azumarill check (in that case, 252 HP / 152 Atk / 104 Def Impish is more efficient than 252 HP / 32 Atk / 224 Def Adamant).

I don't want to make my head hurt with all this math but the 252/252+ is going to be the main spread here because Chesnaught's main role is being physically defensive and setting up spikes. The attack investment really isn't that neccesary for a defensive pokemon, especially since Chesnaught can use leech seed and spiky shield to stall out. However, I will put the 252 HP/ 152 Atk/ 104 Def in the set details.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I don't want to make my head hurt with all this math but the 252/252+ is going to be the main spread here because Chesnaught's main role is being physically defensive and setting up spikes. The attack investment really isn't that neccesary for a defensive pokemon, especially since Chesnaught can use leech seed and spiky shield to stall out. However, I will put the 252 HP/ 152 Atk/ 104 Def in the set details.
You can also make a mention of AJ's fast spread somewhere (if you didn't already), but I would definitely keep 252 / 252 as the main spread.

Well, you don't have to mention that exact spread. That was just something that I threw out there in case you wanted a little more power and still wanted a lot of physical bulk, but it's a pretty arbitrary and random combination of EVs. You could probably just say something along the lines of, "You can run more Attack investment to give Chesnaught more power and to get a little more recovery out of Drain Punch."

EDIT: Actually, that spread guarantees a OHKO on Terrakion after a Close Combat Defense drop with Drain Punch, so that's pretty cool. Might be a decent alternate spread after all lol.

Well, you don't have to mention that exact spread. That was just something that I threw out there in case you wanted a little more power and still wanted a lot of physical bulk, but it's a pretty arbitrary and random combination of EVs. You could probably just say something along the lines of, "You can run more Attack investment to give Chesnaught more power and to get a little more recovery out of Drain Punch."
Will do thank you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)