Pokémon Chesnaught (Revamp Occurring)

What variant of Bulk Up should I do?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It simply says "Chesnaught protected itself!", followed by a message about them being damaged by Spiky Shield, and cuts off there. It registers if they used an offensive move and then stops, just like Protect and Detect. Thing about it is, on Pokémon Showdown it causes damage if the opponent uses Sucker Punch. (hint: It shouldn't because Sucker Punch fails due to the foe not using an offensive move.)

Well, that's not that big of a deal anyways. The only thing to be worried about is return, because chesnaught resists every move except for return. And even then it will hurt MKhan because of spikes shield.

M Gengar will be banned so forget about it

I have been using Chesnaught in my stall team for a while, the issue is that he compete with Gourgiest for a teamslot as a grass pokemon, which happens to be a rare defensive spin blocker, losing only two resistence of rock and dark which are not really that common(I disregard Stone miss, and you don't really have that much dark pokemon to worry about)

As a spike/roar you compete with Skarmory, which does not have the gimmick weaknesses(you screwes the sludge bomb users though). Certainly the two are quite distinct in a lot of ways, but sharing the weakness of fire does put them on the same line more often than you think

Chest screws some important threat really well so he is likely to be a very viable OU team candidate(I laugh so many times when your opponent watching you littering spikes all around, forced to switch out to only take a roar into his face). However, I doubt Chest will even make UU at the end as it is too niche to be solid

Btw, for any offensive sets ppl better take a look on Broom first before making quick decisions
I completely agree. For pure stall teams, Skarmory and Gorgeist usually take preference over Chesnaught as you have a spiker and spinblocker. Any stall team without skarmory, has a lot of trouble with Mega Khan and various physical set up sweepers. But Chesnaught definitely has a niche and doesn't take up 2 pokemon slots. It's like kinda like a skarmory with a typing that has similar benefits as gorgeist but with an STAB Hammer Arm and more reliable recovery compared to Gorgeist in the form of synthesis.

In UU however, I'm a bit skeptical of the Spike + Roar set, as the only good synergistic partner is specially defensive Empoleon with stealth rock, but that's after pokebank. I think it's still effective, but needs more thought to synergy in team building. As someone said before, you can't just slap Chesnaught into any team like Ferrothorn and expect it to be good. But if you plan your team with excellent synergy, Chesnaught can play even better than Ferrothorn.

Is Low Sweep any good?
It's not really powerful, but since Chesnaught is so durable, it can keep dropping the speed of the opponent everytime it has a chance. That does help teammates if Chesnaught if forced out.
I'm trying this thing right now with good results. This is one of the best pokes for a FWG core, with many resistances and immunities to some attacks thanks to Bulletproof. Unlike Ferrothorn, it can heal itself even without Leech Seed, and that's what makes Chesnaught not completely outclassed by it (same can be said about Gourgeist). Spiky Shield is actually nice too, and it works pretty well with Leech Seed (O RLY). For now, i say it's quite good (or maybe the way i made the team makes Chesnaught worthwhile, who knows).

In sun teams, Synthesis + Belly Drum could be a interesting option to try.
I thought about this but the problem is that Chesnaught lacks any kind of priority, and is so frail on the special side just about any fire attack will easily kill him, especially in the sun. He'll either be killed pretty quickly or be forced out just as fast.

My brother and I have done doubles over wifi battles in which he uses Chesnaught and his spikey shield has done damage to all attackers who attack him on a single turn. I don't see why this shouldn't translate into doing damage upon every strike in a multistrike attack.

I also agree with you Foo Fighter he has far too many common weaknesses to be viable on a sunny day team, but a rain dance team he could maybe have a chance due to the reduction for fire damage and maybe a swords dance baton pass combo to bring him in.

Last edited by a moderator:
My brother and I have done doubles over wifi battles in which he uses Chesnaught and his spikey shield has done damage to all attackers who attack him on a single turn. I don't see why this shouldn't translate into doing damage upon every strike in a multistrike attack.

I also agree with you Foo Fighter he has far too many common weaknesses to be viable on a sunny day team, but a rain dance team he could maybe have a chance due to the reduction for fire damage and maybe a swords dance baton pass combo to bring him in.
This has been mentioned in other threads and I tend to agree with it: the fact that you can baton pass stat boosts to Chesnaught means nothing; baton pass enough boosts and you could sweep with any Pokemon. Except you still won't sweep with Chesnaught because Chesnaught gets revenge killed by Talonflame easier than my girlfriend gets revenge killed by cheap liquor.

Seriously, there is absolutely no niche for offensive Chesnaught in OU. There's too much priority and trying to go offensive with Chesnaught is to ignore his greatest niche. Maybe in lower tiers you could mess around with a Choice Banded Chesnaught or something, but even then, sweeping is not about to happen anytime soon.

This has been mentioned in other threads and I tend to agree with it: the fact that you can baton pass stat boosts to Chesnaught means nothing; baton pass enough boosts and you could sweep with any Pokemon. Except you still won't sweep with Chesnaught because Chesnaught gets revenge killed by Talonflame easier than my girlfriend gets revenge killed by cheap liquor.

Seriously, there is absolutely no niche for offensive Chesnaught in OU. There's too much priority and trying to go offensive with Chesnaught is to ignore his greatest niche. Maybe in lower tiers you could mess around with a Choice Banded Chesnaught or something, but even then, sweeping is not about to happen anytime soon.
But, but, but...Spikey Shield!

I'm just going to put out my set compilation which I hope will have some value in exhibiting his flexibility.

Offensive
Leftovers/ expert belt
252Hp 252 At 4def
SD/Bulk up/Power up punch
Wood hammer/Seed bomb
Hammer arm
Stone edge/EQ

Pivot (my personal favorite)
Leftovers
252 hp 252 def 4 at
Leech seed
Spiky shield
Seed bomb
Hammer arm/ roar

Hazard Master
Leftovers
252hp 252def 4at
Spikes
Roar
Seed bomb/hammer arm
Synthesis

These are the most viable sets I think and have proven effective for me

Can I use spiky shield and protect at the same time, to use them alternately ?
I'm pretty sure that moves like protect, detect, spikey shield and king's shield alternate together. so if you used protect one turn and detect the next, detect only has a 50% chance of working.

Chesnaught @ Coba Berry
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Hammer Arm
- Stone Edge/Rock Slide
- Synthesis
- Spikes

This set has worked wonders for me. I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the coba berry as he is talonflame bait you can use your rock type move of choice to easly kill it.

Chesnaught @ Coba Berry
Impish Nature
- Hammer Arm
- Stone Edge/Rock Slide
- Synthesis
- Spikes

This set has worked wonders for me. I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the coba berry as he is talonflame bait you can use your rock type move of choice to easly kill it.
Pretty sure no one uses Coba Berry because once it's gone, that Chesnaught is dead weight.

Just hope to hit Talonflame on the switch-in and run Leftovers.

Chesnaught @ Coba Berry
Impish Nature
- Hammer Arm
- Stone Edge/Rock Slide
- Synthesis
- Spikes

252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Coba Berry Chesnaught: 257-304 (67.6 - 80%) -- guaranteed 2HKO. This set is ok, but if you switch it in your Chesnaught is dead, and no matter what it will be worn down so severely it is easily killed.

You're better off not keeping Chesnaught in on Talonflame, unless for some reason you predict a SD because he thought you'd switch out but yeah...

Pair him with a Tyranitar. They cover each others weaknesses really well. Tyranitar is immune to Psychic and takes the Fire, Poison, and Flying moves for Chesnaught. Chesnaught takes the Water, Grass and Ground moves for Tyranitar. The two only share a Fairy weakness which is easily covered by a number of Steels like Aegislash who resists Fairy, Dragon, Ice and immune to Fighting. Tyranitar handles opposing Ghost types. Tyranitar with Stealth Rock is very specially defensive and Chesnaught is obviously a physical defensive monster that lays the spikes giving you double hazards. It's a solid defensive core not left wanting for power and can force a lot of switches with chip damage from sand and Leech Seed too.

You're better off not keeping Chesnaught in on Talonflame, unless for some reason you predict a SD because he thought you'd switch out but yeah...

Pair him with a Tyranitar. They cover each others weaknesses really well. Tyranitar is immune to Psychic and takes the Fire, Poison, and Flying moves for Chesnaught. Chesnaught takes the Water, Grass and Ground moves for Tyranitar. The two only share a Fairy weakness which is easily covered by a number of Steels like Aegislash who resists Fairy, Dragon, Ice and immune to Fighting. Tyranitar handles opposing Ghost types. Tyranitar with Stealth Rock is very specially defensive and Chesnaught is obviously a physical defensive monster that lays the spikes giving you double hazards. It's a solid defensive core not left wanting for power and can force a lot of switches with chip damage from sand and Leech Seed too.
I love this defensive core, but the main issue I always have with it is that Tyranitar's sand gimps Chesnaught's recovery in the form of Synthesis, a move (I have been informed, and have come to agree with) is irreplaceable. Yes, sandstorm only lasts five turns now, but if you're Tyranitar has switched in at any point in those five turns, Chesnaught is left up the creek.

It doesn't invalidate the usefulness of this defensive core, mind. It's just something to keep in mind while you consider your other options. Personally I think Chesnaught is better replaced by Gourgeist-H in this regard, but the two can still work.

I love this defensive core, but the main issue I always have with it is that Tyranitar's sand gimps Chesnaught's recovery in the form of Synthesis, a move (I have been informed, and have come to agree with) is irreplaceable. Yes, sandstorm only lasts five turns now, but if you're Tyranitar has switched in at any point in those five turns, Chesnaught is left up the creek.

It doesn't invalidate the usefulness of this defensive core, mind. It's just something to keep in mind while you consider your other options. Personally I think Chesnaught is better replaced by Gourgeist-H in this regard, but the two can still work.
You could use Toxic Orb Sub+Leech Breloom instead for better recovery and status immunity plus Spore yet lower bulk instead. I made a set without Synthesis and I elaborated on the core in the New Cores thread just recently http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/new-cores.3490151/page-24

Give it a glance I'm curious what you think.

After taking others advice in to account + a few modifications of my own i have come of with this set-
Chesnaught @ Leftovers
EVs: 212 HP / 44 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Hammer Arm
- Shadow Claw
- Synthesis
- Spikes
Advice on EVs is welcome, but it has worked for me so far.

I might have posted this in the wrong thread earlier, but has anyone considered the viability of running eviolite quilladin? Its defenses are higher then chesnaught's and its lower base health may let it utilize pain split and/ or leech seed effectively. I was thinking it could be a good toxic staller with 3 different kinds of hp recovery to choose from with synthesis, leech seed and pain split.

I might have posted this in the wrong thread earlier, but has anyone considered the viability of running eviolite quilladin? Its defenses are higher then chesnaught's and its lower base health may let it utilize pain split and/ or leech seed effectively. I was thinking it could be a good toxic staller with 3 different kinds of hp recovery to choose from with synthesis, leech seed and pain split.
It may have higher denfenses, but the lack of HP makes its bulk very similar to that of chesnaught without the benefit of an above average attack stat or spiky shield. Synthesis is a solid way to recover health and generally outclasses pain split. Quiladin could find use in a lower tier, but it is not better than chesnaught in any way I can think of, so it should not really find any sort of place in OU.

I got the idea from a friend of mine that runs a wish passing braixen. WoW, protect, wish and flamethrower to go with blaze once it starts losing its health. It really suprised me, thought maybe quilladin could run its own stalling set like that since it was designed to be defensive.

I got the idea from a friend of mine that runs a wish passing braixen. WoW, protect, wish and flamethrower to go with blaze once it starts losing its health. It really suprised me, thought maybe quilladin could run its own stalling set like that since it was designed to be defensive.
I mean, it can run something like that and it may catch some people off guard, but I wouldn't run it or braixen on a truly competitive team. Chesnaught is already really bulky and runs a superior stall set, so I don't really see the point. I will give a couple of sets a try and tell you what I find though. Also, your friend should probably run something with better typing and higher HP as a wish passer. If your opponent puts up stealth rock, then he will really struggle to pass the wishes onto teammates

Chesnaught is one of my favorite new Pokémon and it is a shame that he seems to have been overlooked by most battlers. With good stats, an interesting movepool and a cool ability he is surprisingly versatile. Here's the set I've been using:
(Chesnaught) (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Impish Nature
- Spiky Shield
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Hammer Arm
I just threw this set together right after X and Y came out because I chose Chespin as my starter and wanted to make a team on Showdown based on my in game team but it has been surprisingly effective for me. Chesnaught can get a free sub up on many common OU pokes, such as Choice Band Scizor and Ferrothorn and from there he is a huge annoyance to many teams. He checks a variety of physical attackers, most notably Swords Dance Aegislash. He can even take on some mixed Aegis since Bulletproof grants him immunity to Shadow Ball. Gengar can't touch him either unless it is running Psychic or Sludge Wave, both of which are rare. Of course, all Chesnaught can do to Gengar is Leech Seed and if Gengar gets behind a sub it can't even do that. Trevenant completely walls this set unfortunately but Trev is not very common and not very hard to play around in my experience. Talonflame is obviously a huge issue for this set but I found that if I am behind a sub and go for leech seed as it switches in I can often stall it to death. If Talonflame goes for Roost during a stall war, Hammer Arm does about 57% to it. A rock type move could be used over Hammer Arm just to kill an incoming Talonflame but I'd say Hammer Arm is better overall. It wears Ferrothorn down while it can do nothing in return and OHKOes Mega Lucario. Chesnaught will not be placed in OU but that does not mean he has no use there. He is a decent physical wall and staller and has a great niche role as a counter to Aegislash. He can also serve as a situational counter to Mega Lucario. He may not get much attention in standard play but I can see him tearing up UU once it is released. In a Talonflame free environment Chesnaught will be able to more effectively take on an offensive role. I really enjoy using this set and look forward to further experimenting with Chesnaught in the future.

So I'm thinking of building this..

Bullet Proof Vest Chesnaught
Nature: Impish
Item: Assault Vest
EVs: 200 Attack, 244 Def, 66(64) SpDef
Woodhammer/Seed Bomb
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Hammer Arm/Brick Break/Power Up Punch

200 EVs on Attack will give it a maximum 300 on its attack stat. 66 on SpDef bring it up to 200 x 1.5 (Assault Vest) making it a solid 300.

Use Seed Bomb over Woodhammer as your 1st STAB if you don't like recoil. Earthquake for coverage. Stone Edge if you can predict flying switch ins.

The 2nd STAB is situational. Hammer Arm for instant high damage. Brick Break for screens. Power Up Punch if you want to buff up while using the Assault Vest.

Obviously no recovery for this guy. He's just meant to tank both forms of attack and hit back hard, taking down one or two opposing Pokemon before it goes down.

Opinions?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)