Pokémon Chesnaught (Revamp Occurring)

What variant of Bulk Up should I do?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm of the opinion that if you aren't running Wood Hammer and some offense/speed on chesnaught, you're not utalizing him to his full potential. Fighting alone is not great coverage, and spiky shield just doesn't do you much outside of seed stalling, praying your opponent doesn't steal momentum. All you get is a turn and 12% damage on him, so it's largely overrated when you could just kill off azumarill, rotom-wash and even variants of Keldeo. You also get Quagsire (which is apparently coming back), a solid way to hit Sable-m switch-ins (forcing a 3hko at worst, and if you manage to set any hazards, you could possibly 2hko him on the switch) and Rhyperior, who is coming back as ZardX makes a bigger appearance.

How much speed would you recommend?
Judging by his previous team posts, as well as my own personal experience, I would run 224 Speed. This outruns both max Speed Jolly Azumarill, and also outspeeds the standard 44 Spe Rotom-W (which itself aims to also outspeet Jolly Azu). That way you can hit Rotom-W with Wood Hammer before it WoWs you or Volt Switches out.

i just dont understand how you guys dislike assault vest on this guy. I mean, its a knight/paladin themed pokemon... More armor > less armor.

Now seriously, ive been having lost of fun with Drain Punch/Hammer Arm/Spikes/Roar set. I often miss not having Spiky Shield, but i used it mostly to scout choices, so missing it is not too bad.

i just dont understand how you guys dislike assault vest on this guy. I mean, its a knight/paladin themed pokemon... More armor > less armor.

Now seriously, ive been having lost of fun with Drain Punch/Hammer Arm/Spikes/Roar set. I often miss not having Spiky Shield, but i used it mostly to scout choices, so missing it is not too bad.
Hammer Arm? Is that a typo? I can't see the point in having it when you have Drain Punch. If want something that hits harder you may as well go for Wood Hammer for better coverage.

The set I've been using is AV with Wood Hammer / Drain Punch / Stone Edge / Power Up Punch. Many people may disagree with PUP but you'd be surprised how many teams get thrown off by the +1 boost.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hammer Arm? Is that a typo? I can't see the point in having it when you have Drain Punch. If want something that hits harder you may as well go for Wood Hammer for better coverage.

The set I've been using is AV with Wood Hammer / Drain Punch / Stone Edge / Power Up Punch. Many people may disagree with PUP but you'd be surprised how many teams get thrown off by the +1 boost.
AV Chesnaught is not good. You give up your support options and ability to stay alive in exchange for an inferior Conkeldurr that can't absorb status. You can't really take advantage of PuP because you don't have the speed or priority to threaten offense while Stall just throws Mega Sableye at you and laughs.

Is Drain Punch really that good? Granted I used a physically defensive one, but drain punch hits piss weak w/o attack investment. Fighting weak pokemon most likely won't stay on Chesnaught, so I recover like 8% of health. Most of the time, I click leech seed first, so I don't really have the chance to make use of DP, and poor recovery anyway. I use toxic or Roar on that slot.

Unless I'm doing it wrong @_@

If you go mono-attack chesnaught, you find that you don't get much chance to use drain punch because fighting is a pretty wallable type by itself. That's why I recommend two attacks (I recommend two attacks on every mon on stall bar clerics, anyways) so that even the switchins can't really get in so easily. If they do have latios/latias, you're better off spiking or seeding. For me, once I establish that I have spikes, my opponent is less likely to switch out and risk another layer of spikes going up with no counter. That's where you start to pay dividends with drain punch.

Is Drain Punch really that good? Granted I used a physically defensive one, but drain punch hits piss weak w/o attack investment. Fighting weak pokemon most likely won't stay on Chesnaught, so I recover like 8% of health. Most of the time, I click leech seed first, so I don't really have the chance to make use of DP, and poor recovery anyway. I use toxic or Roar on that slot.

Unless I'm doing it wrong @_@
It's not good to have no attacks and there's no reason to use Hammer Arm over Drain Punch cause neither is doing all that much damage in the first place. Wood Hammer+Drain Punch is good too, as above poster said.

It's not good to have no attacks and there's no reason to use Hammer Arm over Drain Punch cause neither is doing all that much damage in the first place. Wood Hammer+Drain Punch is good too, as above poster said.
I currently run wood hammer cos it actually does damage, albeit not a lot and the recoil is not a big issue imo. I don't use spikes so maybe spikes+DP is good, but for now, I really can't see the benefits of having DP. I'll test spikers+DP though.

Edit: I actually have some attack evs so that it can 2HKO Crocune, assuming scald bald doesn't kick in. Crocune is a threat to my team and annoying to deal with plus I run toxic over roar, I was wondering if you all think they are worth the EVs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)