1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Pokémon Chesnaught

Discussion in 'OverUsed' started by Psylink, Oct 15, 2013.

?

What variant of Bulk Up should I do?

1. Bulk Up

36.8%
  2. SubBU

20.0%
  3. Both

18.4%
  4. Neither (post reasons in a comment)

24.8%
  1. EtherDrive

EtherDrive

Flame wheel was also an exclusive move to the cyndaquil line back in gen 2

also is there a list of egg moves that have been confirmed/unconfirmed?
  2. Delibird is Amazing

Delibird is Amazing

flame wheel was never a signature move. growlithe also learned it in gen 2
    Karxrida, Bravadorado and S0L1D G0LD like this.
  3. Capt. Fail

Capt. Fail

Hello, new to Smogon and competitive battling as a whole but I am trying to help with Gen. 6 and Chesnaught is one of my favorite new pokémon so I'll start here!

Most of you have said he typically isn't good as a sweeper, although I have found him to be a rather "decent" late-game sweeper with this set-

Leech Seed/Synthesis
    Wood Hammer/Seed Bomb
    Power-Up Punch
    Spiky Shield

I haven't ever tested this with synthesis rather than leech seed, but it may work. I figure leech seed is better though. Wood Hammer gives much more power than seed bomb and also is not countered (as much) by other Chesnaught, but obviously does give recoil.
    If you can switch into something it checks or counters, you can set up a leech seed on the switch (provided you have it) or Power-Up Punch (if your opponent does not have a Ghost type). From there you can spiky shield stall with leftovers to gain health while Power-Up Punching to gain attack boosts. Once you have enough, you can just wreck things with Wood Hammer/Seed Bomb or more Power-Up Punches.

This is MOST DEFINETLY a late-game sweeper, as you'll have to clear out many threats to Chesnaught before this will work as a full on sweep. However, I've had a lot of sucess on the Gen 6 Showdown beta with it, and it usually gets at least one kill and has saved my team several times.
    I'm sure more experianced players can both see problems with this set and use it better than me, so I wanted to go ahead and put this up for discussion. :)
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  4. Psylink

Psylink

Holy crap! I've clearly got too many alerts in my alert box.

So, correct me if there's more.

Spikes
    Synthesis
  5. Psylink

Psylink

Chesnaught receives CC by level up.
  6. Mario With Lasers

Mario With Lasers Self-proclaimed king
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Leaf Tornado and Razor Shell weren't exclusive to Snivy/Oshawott either. It's perfectly possible Spiky Shield is learned by something else via breeding.
  7. Agent Gibbs

Agent Gibbs Rule 51
    is a Community Contributor

Where did you hear that from? I just checked both Chesnaught's research thread and its Serebii page, and neither have any mention of Close Combat.
  8. IamChaos

IamChaos

According to serebii.net, his base stats are 88/107/122/74/75/64
  9. DIY Zachary

DIY Zachary

@ Capt. Fail

I am using a similar set on my cartridge to play random Wi-Fi.

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
    Impish
    252 Def (The rest are scattered)
    - Seed Bomb
    - Power-Up Punch
    - Leech Seed
    - Spiky Shield

Beside the fact that Chesnaught can't Power-Up against a Ghost, it is slow, and using too many support moves leaves it vulnerable to Taunt. I chose Seed Bomb over Wood Hammer because taking recoil damage seems counter-productive.

Another bit of information I found out:

In Double Battle, if Chesnaught absorbs an attack (Earthquake) from its partner while using Spiky Shield, its partner does not take damage.
  10. Psylink

Psylink

Outclassed by Bulk Up, Swords Dance, and SubSeed in certain aspects of the set. Thanks for trying, though!
  11. Valin

Valin

Just began using a bullet proof and A shadow ball got used on me and said, it had no effect
  12. Bravadorado

Bravadorado

Yes, that is the point of the ability...
  13. -Nitro-

-Nitro-

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming he posted that to confirm Shadow Ball is covered by Bulletproof. (Which we knew, but still.)

Do we have a list of moves, for sure, covered by bullet proof? We can ASSUME anything with 'ball' and 'bomb' in the name, but I'd like to know what all is covered under it. I don't have a HA Chespin yet (=[), but as soon as I do, I'll be trying things.
  14. Psylink

Psylink

Agent Gibbs That is true, I think it's in the research thread. If you can't find it anywhere, then tell me and I'll change the OP.
  15. Agent Gibbs

Agent Gibbs Rule 51
    is a Community Contributor

Yeah sorry, I just can't find it anywhere. I double checked the research thread and Serebii's page and there's no Close Combat in its level-up learnset. It might be available as an egg move, not sure if anyone has tried that yet, but for now I'd remove it.
  16. StonekingZ

StonekingZ

I have 3 Lvl 100 Chesnaughts. . .
    No, he doesn't.

It's not, I tried.
  17. Ultimathunder

Ultimathunder

Gamefreak WTF u missed the chance to make Chesnaught even more awesome by giving it drain punch and throwing horns on it so it could get horn leech. But w/e Chesnaught is still the most awesome Kalos starter.

there is a lot of hype around the new protect moves like spiky shield, but imo they will become really predictable and hard to use, the same way sub-protect sets are easy to deal with if the player knows how.
    How much damage does spiky shield deal anyway?

EDIT: I don't think Close Combat will be a good move on Chesnaught because its highest stat is defense, and running CC wastes that. If GF gave it drain punch it would be better.
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  18. Lord Jesseus

Lord Jesseus

I'm about 90% certain that Chesnaut will learn Drain Punch

...in the next game when it inevitably comes back as a tutor move. Until then, it looks like Hammer Arm is as good as it gets.
    Karxrida likes this.
  19. DialaceStarvy

DialaceStarvy

If you mean how much damage Spiky Shield does, I got 1/8th from testing.
  20. Ultimathunder

Ultimathunder

K thanks. I was hoping for something more like 1/4 lol, because king's shield has a really awesome effect so I thought it would be a better move. Oh well.
  21. hbk19

hbk19

So one thing I noticed, Spiky Shield doesn't work twice in a row. Has to be spread out.
  22. Foxthree

Foxthree

I keep seeing that Chespin can learn spikes, wtf I have not been able to pass down anything to Chespin. How do you give him spikes? I currently have a 31/31/31/x/31/31
  23. -Nitro-

-Nitro-

People used smeargle.

As is the case with most protect moves, it has a high chance of failing if used consecutively.
  24. Morpheus

Morpheus

With that physical bulk, maybe an all-out attacker @Assault vest could work ?
  25. ChaosKingStorm

ChaosKingStorm

Morpheus

Chesnaught @ Assault vest
    Impish
    252 SDEF 252 ATK 4 DEF (feel free to play with EVs as you wish)
    - Seed Bomb
    - Power-Up Punch
    - Hammer arm/Stone Edge
    - Poison Jab
    Maybe this will work with the Assault vest, but it lack recovery.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)