Chikorita (Analysis)

Chikorita

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/152.shtml

[Overview]
  • Poor offensive options; best relegated to a supportive position
  • Decent bulk by virtue of its mono-Grass type and stats makes it a good Dual Screen setup Pokemon
  • With Magic Coat to reflect hazards, it makes a good lead
[Set]
Name: Screens Lead
Move 1: Reflect
Move 2: Light Screen
Move 3: Leaf Storm / Giga Drain
Move 4: Magic Coat / Synthesis
Item: Light Clay
Ability: Overgrow
Nature: Bold / Clam
EVs: 236 HP / 156 Def / 76 SpD

[Set Comments]
  • Main goal is obv. to set up screens
  • Leaf Storm provides a powerful Grass STAB to hit things when it is required to, dropped Sp. Atk. doesn't matter much since it won't need to attack very often
  • Magic Coat allows this set to function very well as a lead by reflecting status and entry hazards; if not in the lead position, it's handy for reflecting occasional Taunts that would halt screen setup
  • Synthesis or Giga Drain can be run on the set for healing, so that Chikorita can set up screens multiple times

[Additional Comments]
  • Screens, Magic Coat, and decent bulk allow it to deal with Monmen that don't carry HP Fire/Ice
  • Magic Coat tends to be less useful outside of leading or checking Monmen, so if not used as a lead, Synthesis may be the preferred option
[Team Options]
  • Anything that appreciates Screens appreciates Chikorita support, though it is best used when SR prevention is most needed or when its teammates have better synergy with it than other screeners like Bronzor
  • Water-type sweepers like DDile, Mantyke, Chinchou, and Shellder appreciate Chikorita's ability to take Grass, Electric, and Ground-type hits and make it easier for them to set up
  • Steel- and Dragon-type setup sweepers like Dratini and Komatana can use Chikorita to set up, as Dragons can switch in on Fire attacks and Steels can switch on Ice attacks
  • Pokemon with Wish support, like Lickitung, allow Chikorita without Synthesis to set up screens multiple times
[Optional Changes]
  • Aromatherapy can be run in the fourth slot for clerical uses
  • Specific HPs, such as Ice for Gligar, or Fire for Tesshiido, can be run in place of Grass STAB for dealing with specific threats, depending on what the team needs
  • Worry Seed can be crippling to Pokemon that rely heavily on their own ability, such as Monmen, Zuruggu, Levitators, and more
  • Chikorita also has usable physical STAB in the form of Seed Bomb, but Giga Drain with its healing ability and Leaf Storm with its added power are generally preferred
[Counters]
  • Lead Anorith is fast, has powerful STAB X-Scissor, and can Brick Break screens
  • U-Turn leads like Meowth and Aipom can be problematic; both attacks hurt a lot and are faster than Chikorita for Reflect
  • Lead Houndour is faster and easily OHKOs with Overheat
  • Monmen's Taunt can be problematic, requires proper prediction with Magic Coat to stop it, but Chikorita without specific HPs is still walled even then

[Dream World]
  • Chikorita gets Leaf Guard in the Dream World, but due to all Chikorita recieving it being male, it cannot be bred onto Chikorita for Little Cup.

There, skeleton's up for now. I'm sure there are plenty more potential counters, but I just listed all I could think of off the top of my head.

Role Play is in Chikorita's 4th Gen Tutor list on Serebii. Are you sure? :\
Even if it doesn't get it, it doesn't matter much since Magic Coat is basically all-around better this gen.

All right, jeez. >__>

With all those lovely interesting nitpicks out of the way, does anyone have any more significant contribution to make? Perhaps my analysis is already so perfect thus far that no higher contribution can be made than such nitpicks....? (This is sarcasm, of course.)

Wish support so it can do it again.

And lots of sweepers appreciate screens. Perhaps mention some dragons (fire, ice) and steels (flying/poison/ice) like Dratini and Komatana in TO.

But yeah, Chikorita can't do anything else.

...mention SD for shots and goggles, and how it sucks.

LOL I could mention it, though honestly I don't think it's even worth it when you have stuff like Lileep, which does bulky Grass SD soooo much better.

Wish support, yeah... dragons, kindaaaa... they do love the screen support, but both being weak to ice is mehhhh. Steels are similar because of Fire. Both together, though... that could work... but anyway, I digress. I'll add them.

Ach, I just noticed Grasswhistle in Chiko's movepool too. Nearly 50% accuracy sucks, but it was enough to get it onto Treecko's LC analysis last-gen, so I'll add that in OC too.

All right, I need to be turning this into a text analysis. Can I buy myself some time on this, or do I risk it getting locked/outdated unless I update very soon? This is a pretty busy work for me in terms IRL stuff. (I had next to no work during the time when Smogon was down. *headdesk* Cruel irony.)

I WILL be working on it, but I probably won't be able to get it completely written up for a while. :0

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)