BW NU Chinese Tempest: A Journey of 1,206 Posts -- A Grand Slam Team!

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
And it begins with a simple step.
=================================================
All my RMTs will be named Chinese Tempest js

This is a team I made for my two homies Bloo and Fuzznip for the Grand Slam. Of course Fuzznip refused to use it because it goes against his religion or something, but luckily my main man / teamstealer Bloo repped this team straight to victory in the NU Open. This team in particular went undefeated in the Grand Slam as a whole, driving Bloo straight to the championships from the moment he used it in the quarterfinals of NU Open to the moment he choked in the semifinals against Bad Ass by using Pineco in RU -- so I guess that's like 9-0 or 10-0, something like that. Obviously I can't take much credit for myself as I wasn't the one doing the battling, and I'm sure he used a bunch of other NU teams from great NU players as well! But this one team in particular has been my favorite, and my most successful. So with SPL around the corner, I was thinking about retiring this gem because I don't like sticking to the same old shit, and it's probably circulated around the tournament scene enough that it's lost whatever surprise appeal it had.

It's nothing you haven't seen, just your standard Jynx/Zard/Scoli with a Rapid Spinner, who in this case happens to be Wartortle: the best one in NU. Hazards are a real bitch in NU and to have an open field in NU is a blessing: Jynx, Charizard, and Scolipede all provide large amounts of offensive pressure, and letting them switch in without Stealth Rock puts you ahead of the game already. I rounded this team out with Golem as an anti-lead for certain types of leads as well as a Stealth Rock user and overall tank, while Eelektross finishes off my offensive pressure with what I believe to be 4 of the most threatening offensive Pokemon in NU.
At a Glance

Scolipede @ Focus Sash
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Megahorn
- Rock Slide / Aqua Tail
- Earthquake

Scolipede's just the usual lead here. Of course, if I see something that Golem would usually lead better against, then I'll go with Golem instead. Scolipede serves a couple purposes: first off, it prevents opposing Toxic Spikes from setting up which would hinder Jynx, Golem, and Wartortle quite a bit. Secondly, it sets up Spikes itself, which is really handy for things like Jynx and Charizard who would usually lure stuff in like Metang, Regice, Musharna, Alomomola, and Regirock among other things. I get a lot of shit for using Poison Point over Swarm, but I guess I'll elaborate here. Poison Point is nice against things like U-turners and Fighting-types, so things like Sawk, Primeape, and the likes will often get poisoned upon switch-in. Foul Play Mandibuzz had also better think twice before Foul Playing this guy, because that vulture absolutely hates Poison. For me, I'll take those chances and maximize my opportunities to luck my opponent as opposed to Swarm. Rock Slide and Aqua Tail are usually a mix-up for me, I like going Rock Slide for more flinching opportunities as well as the ability to smash Charizard even harder as well as other Flying-types, but Aqua Tail works too for things like Golurk.

Golem @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Sucker Punch

This is my secondary lead, but it can function just fine as a supporting member late-game too, it really just depends on team-matchup. This Golem in particular is great against lead Jynx, as Golem guarantees a kill no matter what Jynx tries to do. I originally had the standard Leftovers set, but Bloo started using Lum Berry in our practice matches together and I thought it was the neatest thing ever, so it kind of just stuck. I believe this is the standard Golem set which allows me to outspeed stuff like Smashkoal who isn't even that common anyway. Golem is useful for revenge killing things if entry hazards are clear from the field -- basically Earthquake / Rock Blast + Sucker Punch is a solid 2HKO on pretty much any straight-up offensive threat. So if I'm not using him as a lead, I'll make sure that I keep entry hazards away so I can bring this guy in at 100%. Also he ensures that I'm not raped by something like Swellow, or any other heavy hitting Normal-type for that matter.

Eelektross @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Giga Drain
- Flamethrower
- Volt Switch

Eelektross is extremely hard to counter -- I'd wager that it's probably one of the least counterable threats in NU. Sure, its speed is atrocious, but as long as I can take a hit or two and get a kill on something, I'm fine. This eel is here to help apply pressure to stall teams alongside Charizard and Jynx. With Spikes support from Scolipede, I get to Volt Switch around sometimes. And seeing as how Alomomola is ridiculously common in NU Tournament matches these days, there's nothing better to take advantage of this situation than Eelektross. If your opponent switches in Alomomola, go to Eelektross. If he tries to switch into something like Musharna or Bastiodon, then just Volt Switch out, and go to whatever. Anyway, main reason I'm using him is to maximize offensive pressure, I like using strong Pokemon and he's worked like a charm.

Jynx (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Lovely Kiss
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Psychic

Standard LO Jynx set, easily the most threatening set that Jynx can run in my opinion. Scarf is neat for clutch situations but Jynx's sweeping potential lies best in this Life Orb set. Sleep is such a godsend for this behemoth given the BW mechanics. If I can sleep something, that usually means it's dead considering how much offensive pressure I apply with this team. It's pretty much this once you're slept: you switch, or you stay in and I destroy you in 2 turns with Jynx / one switch to any other teammate. It's also neat that it has a little water immunity, as that lets it switch into Wartortle and Alomomola more easily. Though I guess Gyro Ball Wartortle is actually a thing now, so you have to be more careful with that nowadays. Seeing as how it got suspect tested, it's a no-brainer that Jynx is arguably the best Pokemon in NU. Personally I wanted this thing banished from NU but to each their own. :(

Wartortle @ Eviolite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Foresight
- Scald
- Toxic

Another standard set -- this time it's Wartortle. You may be thinking that it destroys my offensive presence, and to an extent, it does. But this is the price you have to pay if you want to use Charizard / Scolipede / Jynx in NU with less drawbacks. Those three are extremely good together, as Scolipede is able to set up Spikes so Jynx and Charizard are able to plow through pretty much anything in NU. I guess you could say Wartortle is the defensive backbone of my team -- it comes up pretty clutch with a Toxic if I need it, and it gets the job done always with Foresight + Rapid Spin. He's also pretty good at switching into things like Primeape and other physical sweepers too. Still, I'm usually sacking a bunch of stuff anyway as such is the nature of my team, but having this guy around here just makes my all out offensive strategy work.

Charizard (M) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power Grass
- Air Slash
- Roost / Focus Blast

Last but not least, Charizard. This was originally a CB Braviary that formed a Volt-turn combination with Eelektross, but Bloo changed this baby to Expert Belt Charizard after seeing how Charizard weak everyone was. Expert Belt is neat because it fakes things like Choice Specs or Choice Scarf, and it also hits hard and efficient. Common switch-ins to Charizard are weakened because of entry-hazards, Musharna is the top one that comes to mind, also stuff like Miltank is a common sight as well. Jynx / Charizard / Eelektross decimate NU with sheer offensive firepower. E-belt Charizard has lost a bit of its surprise factor now and I liken this to things like Expert Belt Keldeo where things like Scarf are to be expected just as much as Expert Belt, but that's okay. As long as you play this Charizard correctly, you will always be leaving your opponent guessing.
Conclusion

So yeah, pretty standard stuff I guess. It's also a pretty simple strategy -- just sack what you need to sack, and let your sweepers sweep. I'm using some of the most hardest hitting Pokemon in NU that don't require much set-up whatsoever. I suppose you can call it hyper offense since I'm just spikestacking, sacking a couple of Pokemon, Rapid Spinning, then bringing out my top guns.

As for weaknesses, I do believe I'm a bit Carracosta and Ludicolo weak. For Carracosta, you must make sure that you apply offensive pressure at all times -- this means that you cannot give it an opportunity to Shell Smash for free. Luckily, apart from Wartortle and sometimes Scolipede, this is often the case. Eelektross, Charizard, and Jynx all give Carracosta troubles setting up. As for Ludicolo, I guess it would be a bit easier to set up than Carracosta, but it's a bit less threatening and I can sacrifice something to bring in stuff like Golem at 100% so Sturdy + Rock Blast finishes it off.

Generally my weaknesses are handled by means of sacrificing to bring in checks. And it works still because my checks are usually such potent sweepers on their own that they completely shift the momentum of the game when I bring them in.

Thank you for reading. :toast:

Last edited:
This team is extremely strong, it checks the majority of teams extremely well, and holds its own. One thing I would keep in mind is how badly Psychic types beat you out. Most notably CM Musharna, Scarf Jynx, and All-Out-Attacking Gardevoir, whom easily maim half your team if they get a free switch in. I do also feel that Lickilicky and other Specially-Defensive Walls can potentially stall you out, especially once Scolipede and Golem are down. Carracosta and Ludicolo also take a massive shit on the entirety of your team after they set up, as long as stealth rocks are up to break scoli's sash, in which case they may be able to get around allowing you to rapid spin.

You have absolutely nothing to check faster threats such as opposing scolipede and carracosta / ludicolo after a smash / rain dance. For that reason alone, I suggest changing to Scarf Jynx, as it can aid you in revenge killing, as well as beating out opponents who have already set up, as it outspeeds the majority of even the boosted metagame.
I realize it is weird having two E-Belted pokemon, as it isn't a great item to start with, but I suggest Ebeltross as your team's 4 special attackers are straight up walled by things like Lickilicky, and this way Eelektross will have a way of baiting them in, and then smashing their faces with a superpower.
My only other comment might be Bulky Scolipede over SashSpikes, but that really is optional, and the only reason you would want to is to check Sawk, who might threaten your Golem out with STAB close combat.

Sets:

Jynx (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Trick / Focus Blast
- Lovely Kiss

Eelektross @ Expert Belt
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 244 SAtk / 140 Atk / 124 Spd
Rash Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Giga Drain
- Superpower

-optional-

Scolipede @ Black Sludge
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 248 HP / 36 Atk / 56 Def / 168 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Aqua Tail
- Toxic Spikes / Toxic
- Spikes

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
one threat you forgot to mention is serperior which can beat your entire team if stealth rocks are up. with your other weaknesses in mind, i think it would be better if you switched out scolipede for skuntank. it gives your team priority which helps vs ludicolo and carracosta (to an extent) and it also beats serperior. skuntank can also counter musharna which can be troublesome if it manages to get a few boosts.

you could also just go with scarf jynx to check those threats better if you feel i guess

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)