Choice and Dice (offensive OU team) (peaked 1800+)

After playing UU for so long, I decided to get back into OU with an offensive team. This team has netted me plenty of wins (1800+), but I feel like posting it here so I can improve it. (btw this is my first rmt so don't be too harsh on the presentation)

The team:

Froslass (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond

I made this team when froslass was getting banned from UU, so I decided to give it some love. Seems like the same thing that banned froslass from UU makes it good in OU. Froslass is my dedicated lead. I always lead with it. It sets spikes with its great speed, taunts opposing leads (with good prediction), and uses destiny bond to make its sacrifice worthwhile. After that, it's just a click, a click, and a click away from sweeping the opponent's team. Shadow ball > ice beam because espeon, although I'm not running into much, so maybe ice beam?

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock

Heatran is the fire type of my offensive FWG core. It hits hard and hits (somewhat?) fast. Even when uninvested, heatran has some surprising natural bulk, so it's also my stealth rock setter, although I hardly get any time to set it up. Hidden power ice is for hitting garchomp / lando-t / dragonite / salamance / whatever on the switch. It checks a lot of dangerous mons like sd scizor and non specs latios. I've seen plenty of opponents underestimate heatran's bulk, and learn the lesson the hard way.

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Roost

Latias is my dragon of choice for this team. This is the standard life orb set from the analysis, but it works and it works well. Draco meteor nukes the opposition, psyshock is needed for such a specially based team, and hidden power fire I'm pretty sure you know what it hits (even though lowering the speed IVs kinda suck). I'm using latias instead of latios because it has surprising bulk even when uninvested, providing some much needed spdef for such an offensive team, in addition to hitting hard.

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Ice]

This team was made during stage 12 so it might be the last time I could use keldeo. Of course keldeo didn't get banned, so all the better. Anyways, keldeo is a great scarfer as everyone (probably) knows. The first two moves are the standard hydro pump / secret sword. Surf is there for reliability. Hidden power of "choice" is ice because icy wind just doesn't cut it on a scarf set, and plus, jellicent kinda walls my team anyways. It kills blissey too, which is another plus since my team is mainly special.

Shaymin @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Healing Wish

At first it might seem strange to have two scarfers, but since this is an offensive team, having two "safety switches" is always welcome. It also fills the grass slot of my offensive FWG core. Seed miss flare is the whole reason to use shaymin, and the 40% can come in handy. Earth power and hidden power ice for coverage. Healing wish is the (other) whole reason to use shaymin. As with heatran, it has surprisingly good bulk even when uninvested, allowing it to come in, (hopefully) sponge the hit, and use scarfed healing wish to bring back a near dead teammate. Unfortunately, 100 base spatk without a boosting item = somewhat disappointing damage output.

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 SDef / 252 Spd / 252 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Quick Attack

Banded terrakion is my physical wallbreakers. I copied the set right out of the analysis, so there isn't to much to explain. It hits soo hard and fast, 2hko-ing most physical walls with an unresisted hit. It also kills blissey, which troubles my team. I haven't used it often recently (probably because not much people are running defensive teams), so I'm willing to replace it. Fun fact: terrakion's quick attack is the only source of priority on this team.

So this is my team. Rate as harshly as you want :)

Last edited:
hey RickyRickster, nice team.

overall, the team is very solid, being able to handle the majority of the top threats without too much trouble. however, i do see a weakness to ttar + keldeo. as you go to latias to stop keldeo, the opponent can quite easily double-switch to ttar, putting you in a checkmate position, where if you lose latias keldeo will be able to sweep your team, shaymin being your only other check to keldeo. however, there isn't very much you can do to fix this without screwing with the team structure or building a completely new team. my suggestion is to run scarf jirachi > shaymin. scarf jirachi is a solid check to both keldeo and ttar, as it can threaten them with zen headbutt and iron head respectively. it's also a nice offensive pivot, and it allows you to grab momentum with u-turn.

i'm also gonna suggest running ebelt > scarf on keldeo. you already have a scarfer in the form of jirachi if you take my suggestion. ebelt keldeo is an excellent lure for many things in ou, such as gyarados, who normally "check" keldeo. if you do so, run icy wind > hydro pump and hidden power [electric] > hidden power [ghost]. two scarfers will hinder your offensive pressure, as it causes you to have to switch often if you don't make the right move.

finally, terrakion is missing 252 evs. not sure if you made a typo, but you might wanna add 252 atk.

keldeo - ebelt > scarf
terrakion - add 252 atk evs

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch / Healing Wish

Last edited:
finally, terrakion is missing 252 evs. not sure if you made a typo, but you might wanna add 252 atk.
Oh, no wonder terrakion wasn't able to 2hko reuniclus. Stupid teambuilder :P
But otherwise, jirachi isn't a bad idea, also being able to lure fire type attacks while having healing wish + good natural bulk. I used to run specs keldeo, but I found that having two scarfer provided an extra "just in case" check. With jirachi, I might switch keldeo over to expert belt since scarfrachi's flinchhax should suffice on its own.

EDIT: After some testing:
Replacing shaymin with jirachi gives my team a huge ground weakness, with only latios having immunity, and considering that most dragons carry ground coverage... Not to mention I feel extremely bad for haxxing someone out of a win.

EDIT: After some more testing:
My team worked better without your changes. I found out shaymin also plays the important role of checking dragons, (usually) surviving at least one unboosted outrage / eq and scare them out or kill them with HP ice. In other words, it provides a good switch into opposing dragons when I'm unsure when their gonna outrage or eq. It's also the only thing I have that can hit water types super effectively. Scarf Keldeo will always outspeed +1 anything below 108 base, while still packing a punch. Scarfrachi will only kill dd mence if it wins the 50% speed tie. Same thing goes for volcarona. And jirachi's base 100 atk is disappointing at times, often relying on luck to win. Scarf keldeo is also my only mon that doesn't rely on luck to beat opposing scarfrachi.

Last edited:

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Please do not flame people who try to rate a team for you. I'm just going to say that Aura Sensei's rate was extremely sound and was what I was going to say. One thing, though. Your team is extremely weak to Garchomp so you should change Latias to Choice Scarf Latios as it can outspeed the whole metagame and hit hard. Also, change your item on Heatran to Air Balloon to remove your huge Ground weakness.

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Trick

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)