Choir of Battle - UU RMT

Hello Smogon Forums, long time no see. How've you been?

Today I bring you the UU team that I've been working on recently, designed around the terrific Mixed Sweeper that is Meloetta. Her Aria form bosts tremendous Special Stats, and with Relic Song allowing her to trade that in for breakneck speed and physical attack power, she is a very versatile threat that I've been dying to try. So far, I've not been disappointed.

How We Got Here​

This team began with Meloetta, originally wielding a Calm Mind. I wanted to build around the dancer, using her as a set-up sweeper using her Aria Forme's special bulk to set up, using Relic Song to transform and utilize Pirouette Forme's blistering 128 base speed. This would later change to the standard Mixed Relic Song set, which I don't regret.

Froslass was my lead of choice; entry hazards are important, and Froslass can guarantee at least two layers of Spikes against most leads, as well as having a very fast Taunt.

With Meloetta taking care of the Special side of things, I wanted a good physical sweeper to pick up the slack. My weapon of choice was SubPunch Azumarill.

Rotom-C granted me some extra control of the pace of the battle, with Volt Switch easing prediction and Thunder Wave crippling opposing sweepers. It could also switch into Water, Ground and Grass moves with impunity.

Sheer Force Nidoking was another powerful Special Sweeper, with a ton of coverage. I needed a quick, powerful hitter to act as Revenger, and with the application of a Choice Scarf, Nidoking could fill that role beautifully.

My team was lacking a dedicated physical wall, and I went to an old favourite of mine; Gligar. Capable of putting up Stealth Rocks and tanking like a champion, Gligar served as a potent deterrent to physical attackers.

However, with Gligar and Nidoking both having a fairly major Ice Weakness, and Gligar's inability to even touch Bronzong or Crobat, two physical threats that I would've otherwise loved to utilise him against, I reluctantly said goodbye to Gligar and replaced him with a physically bulky Arcanine. His addition gave me a little more punch on the physical side, and even without attack investment, Flare Blitz is still a powerful attack.

Rotom just wasn't cutting it, and its Grass typing was becoming more of a detriment then it was a boon. I went instead to Zapdos, who boosted better attack power and speed, while still having access to the tools that gave Rotom its place on the team in the first place; fast, powerful Volt Switches, not insignificant bulk and coverage moves to round out my offenses.

The Team

Clef (Froslass) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Spikes
- Destiny Bond
- Taunt
- Shadow Ball

Clef is the first Pokemon to take the stage in almost every confrontation; it is very unlikely that anything my opponent can field will scare her away, as she quietly and politely sets up layer after layer of spikes against whatever my opponent sends up against her.

Beyond her role as Suicide Lead, Froslass also outspeeds many set-up leads and uses her fast taunt to screw them up pretty badly. She prevents opposing Hazards from being set up, and forces attacks to be be thrown at her, risking her Cursed Body or Destiny Bond. Not only does she weaken the opponent's team throughout the fight, but she can remove opposing threats with ease.

If Froslass survives the opening turns, she can later come back in as a Spin Blocker or as Fodder to bring in one of her team-mates safely. Shadow Ball provides STAB Ghost type attacks, which she can use to threaten Psychic or Ghost attackers, such as Mismagius (who Froslass outspeeds, coincidently).

Bass (Azumarill) @ Leftovers
Trait: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Aqua Jet
- Return

Bass is the most potent physical threat on my team; This Azumarill is designed to have the highest Attack stat he can muster, while wrecking anything that doesn't resist his powerful attacks, and even those that do come away with some heavy wounds.

Aqua Jet is my default answer to frail sweepers, and is Azumarill's only STAB move. Focus Punch rips holes in anything that doesn't resist it, pack huge physical bulk, or both. Return provides coverage, and can hit things in situations where Focus Punch's charge time is a bad idea. It also gives me something to do when I'm staring down a Slowbro, who otherwise would be able to blithely ignore all my efforts to hurt it.

Azumarill is one of the workhorses of the team, fighting inch by inch to secure KO's against opposing threats.

Tempo (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
- Volt Switch
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Heat Wave

In keeping with the musical nickname theme, Tempo serves as a way of keeping up my own momentum, using Volt Switch with impunity to KO or damage enemy Fliers, Bulky Waters and anything in between. By giving me that extra leeway with switches, and acting as a very safe switch in when Froslass pulls off a Destiny Bond, Zapdos keeps my team running smoothly.

With the aid of Roost, Zapdos can stick around for a very long time, wearing down opposing walls and hitting hard with its Pseudo-BoltBeam, and Heat Wave.

Very fast, and very threatening, Zapdos is the glue that holds my team together throughout the mid-game.

Alto (Arcanine) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Flare Blitz
- ExtremeSpeed
- Toxic
- Morning Sun

A Physical tank, capable of spreading Toxic through my opponents team and punching holes with Flare Blitz and Extremespeed, Alto is a team player, weakening threats so that his more offensively minded teammates can finish them off while he sponges hits and debuffs enemies.

With Intimidate, Arcanine can safely switch into even super effective physical moves and come out alive, leaving whatever he was fighting much less threatening to the others now that they're sitting at -1 Atk.

Even with such low attack investment, Arcanine will still 2HKO Bronzong (Baring weird things like Heatproof), Specially Defensive Registeel, Bulky Cobalion and other steels.

Tenor (Nidoking) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sheer Force
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rocks
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power

Revenge Killer, Special Sweeper and until-further-notice Stealth Rocker, Tenor is the trustworthy Pokemon that I send in to deal with threats that the rest of the team simply can't handle. With Sheer Force, Nidoking's arsenal of offensive moves is hard to match.

He is often underestimated by foes, who don't anticipate just how fast this monster is; he can outspeed and KO much of the meta-game with his very powerful attacks. Max possible speed gets him past frail speedsters like Speed Boost Yanmega and Sharpedo, and gives him the best possible chance to outspeed other Scarfed Nidokings.

Crescendo (Meloetta) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 56 Atk / 200 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Relic Song
- Close Combat
- Thunderbolt/Energy Ball
- Psychic

The star of the show, Crescendo serves as a Mixed Wall Breaker that has the unique trait of possessing three STABs; Normal, Fighting and Psychic.

Relic Song is the key to this set, shuffling Meloetta's stats around to where they need to be. Base 128's in Sp.Atk and Sp.Def in Aria Forme make Crescendo a formidable special threat, with enough speed investment to outrun neutral base 100s, with a Special Attack stat sufficient to hurt anything without special defense investment badly.

If that speed and special attack isn't enough for the job, Meloetta can use Relic Song to become a quick, brutal physical sweeper whose STAB Close Combat and 128 Base Speed let her destroy special walls that don't resist Fighting, without denying her the use of her Special Arsenal (which, while not as potent, is still rather threatening with her heavy Sp.Atk investment).

In most battles, I attempt to conserve Meloetta until the mid-to-late game, by which time most of her counters, as well as my opponent's generally bulky Pokemon, will have been weakened enough for her to get off a clean sweep.

The Problem​

Yeah, Flygon is the anti-life for this team.

Bass can handle it, if Bass has a Substitute up when the Flygon enters, which isn't particularly likely. Alto can hit it with Toxic, but even at -1, there's a decent chance for a 2HKO with Earthquake, guaranteed if my opponent has put up any hazards. In the rare event that it isn't scarfed, Tenor can OHKO it with Ice Beam, as can Tempo with HP [Ice]. I can, theoretically, beat Flygon. Its just that anyone who knows how to keep it out of bad situations is going to destroy me with it.

I really need a reliable counter to Scarfed Flygon, because as it stands, its almost an auto-lose for me.

Importable

Clef (Froslass) (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Cursed Body
- Spikes
- Destiny Bond
- Taunt
- Shadow Ball

Bass (Azumarill) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Aqua Jet
- Return

Tempo (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
- Volt Switch
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Heat Wave

Alto (Arcanine) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 220 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Flare Blitz
- ExtremeSpeed
- Toxic
- Morning Sun

Tenor (Nidoking) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sheer Force
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power

Crescendo (Meloetta) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 56 Atk / 200 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Relic Song
- Close Combat
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic

Rates, Comments and Suggestions are all very much appreciated.

I understand your reasoning for Stealth Rock on Nidoking, but if Yanmega or Sharpedo comes in on a choice-locked Stealth Rock, thats a guaranteed Speed Boost for them, and then they proceed to destroy something on your team. For this reason, I know you're not gonna like it, but I suggest Bronzong over Nidoking. Bronzong has the ability to get Rocks up, while also being immune to EQ and taking Outrages from Scarfed Flygon. The only thing he won't appreciate is a Fire Punch but Max HP Max Def Bronzong with a +Def Nature is still 4HKO'd at best with Flygon having either an Adamant OR Jolly Nature. Here is the Bronzong set:

Bronzong@Leftovers
Levitate
Relaxed Nature
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpDef
0 Speed IVs
Stealth Rock
Gyro Ball
Toxic
Earthquake

While Bronzong is weak to Fire you have BOTH Azumarill AND Arcanine. If you really want to be anti-meta, you could use Heatproof, although I highly recommend Levitate.

EDIT: Hello Butterfly.

Since Zapdos already has recovery in Roost, go Life Orb > Leftovers so you can dish out some more damage. This allows Zapdos to hit a little harder against opponents.

ZoroDark

esse quam videri
is a Tiering Contributor
This team is obviously quite good, but I'll try to make it a bit better. The first thing that annoys me on this team is the lack of a spinblocker, since you'll use froslass as a suicide lead. That's why I urge you to try Golurk over Nidoking. You lose your scarfer, but since you have 2 kinds of priorities on your team already and since the synergy is pretty good, I think you can afford that. Golurk is a more reliable Stealth Rocker than Nidoking and with some defensive investment, he'll be another check for Flygon.

Maybe you could replace Arcanine for another poke, because he seems a weak link in the team. He amplifies the Stealth Rock weakness and isn't really in his place on this team in my opinion. That's why I suggest you to try Amoonguss as bulky pivot on your team, over Arcanine. Hope I helped and good luck!

EDIT: 100st post!

ZoroDark, I have to respectfully disagree with you in that Golurk can't switch in lest it be 2HKO'd by Outrage, whereas Bronzong says F you to Flygon, sets up rocks, and can Gyro Ball. Even though Ice Punch from Golurk OHKO's Golurk still can't switch in to EQ or Outrage, and no Flygon user in his right mind is gonna stay in when he is choice-locked into Fire Punch. Also Butterfly, I have another suggestion. If you want, use a Physically Bulky Hitmontop over Arcanine. While it can't beat Bronzong, it can also spread Toxic, has Intimidate, and can even spin if you want it to, although I really don't think it is necessary. The set is:

Hitmontop@Leftovers
Intimidate
Impish Nature(+Def, -SpAtk)
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Atk
Close Combat
Toxic
Sucker Punch
Stone Edge

I understand your reasoning for Stealth Rock on Nidoking, but if Yanmega or Sharpedo comes in on a choice-locked Stealth Rock, thats a guaranteed Speed Boost for them, and then they proceed to destroy something on your team. For this reason, I know you're not gonna like it, but I suggest Bronzong over Nidoking. Bronzong has the ability to get Rocks up, while also being immune to EQ and taking Outrages from Scarfed Flygon. The only thing he won't appreciate is a Fire Punch but Max HP Max Def Bronzong with a +Def Nature is still 4HKO'd at best with Flygon having either an Adamant OR Jolly Nature. Here is the Bronzong set:

Bronzong@Leftovers
Levitate
Relaxed Nature
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpDef
0 Speed IVs
Stealth Rock
Gyro Ball
Toxic
Earthquake

While Bronzong is weak to Fire you have BOTH Azumarill AND Arcanine. If you really want to be anti-meta, you could use Heatproof, although I highly recommend Levitate.

EDIT: Hello Butterfly.
Hmm...I can see what you're saying; for precisely the reason you described, I've been hardly using SR at all, relying on Spikes for my Entry Hazarding needs. Letting Speed Boosters come in and ruin everything is definitely not on my to do list.

Bronzong is certainly a good answer to my Flygon Problem, and I recall seeing a set floating around with a smattering of Atk EVs that claimed to guarantee the 2HKO on Flygon.

I worry about the lack of a Choiced Scarfed Revenger, as I enjoy the security of being able to outspeed and KO something. Still, Nidoking is probably the least essential member of the team, and having Bronzong taking over as dedicated Physical Wall means that Arcanine can afford to devote more EVs to his Offensive Stats, and removing Toxic for Wild Charge/Crunch so that SubChandelure cannot set up on me with impunity.

I'll give Bronzong a try, and post back with results when I have them.

Since Zapdos already has recovery in Roost, go Life Orb > Leftovers so you can dish out some more damage. This allows Zapdos to hit a little harder against opponents.
As it stands, I hardly feel the need for Life Orb on Zapdos. Even though Zapdos can serve as a back-up sweeper in case I lose Azumarill and Meloetta, that's not its primary role in this instance. Volt Switch to ease prediction, along with its respectable natural bulk, means that Zapdos can keep my momentum up, and weaken my opponent's team. For my needs, Zapdos doesn't need to be a heavy hitter, and I value the additional bulk that leftovers provides. Especially since Zapdos with 0HP naturally hits a Leftovers number.

...still, let me run some calcs and see just how much of a difference it would make.

• 252SpAtk Zapdos (Neutral) Volt Switch vs 252HP/0SpDef Blastoise (Neutral): 59% - 70% (216 - 254 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
  • 252SpAtk Life Orb Zapdos (Neutral) Volt Switch vs 252HP/0SpDef Blastoise (Neutral): 76% - 91% (278 - 330 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
  • 252SpAtk Zapdos (Neutral) Volt Switch vs 252HP/0SpDef Leftovers Slowbro (Neutral): 68% - 80% (270 - 318 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
  • 252SpAtk Life Orb Zapdos (Neutral) Volt Switch vs 252HP/0SpDef Slowbro (Neutral): 88% - 104% (350 - 410 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. 26% chance to OHKO.
  • 252SpAtk Life Orb Zapdos (Neutral) Volt Switch vs 252HP/252SpDef Leftovers Slowbro (+SpDef): 60% - 73% (240 - 288 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
  • 252SpAtk Zapdos (Neutral) Volt Switch vs 252HP/0SpDef Leftovers Azumarill (Neutral): 66% - 78% (270 - 318 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
  • 252SpAtk Life Orb Zapdos (Neutral) Volt Switch vs 252HP/0SpDef Leftovers Azumarill (Neutral): 86% - 101% (350 - 410 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. 10% chance to OHKO.
  • 252SpAtk Zapdos (Neutral) Volt Switch vs 252HP/0SpDef Leftovers Water Absorb Suicune (Neutral): 49% - 58% (200 - 236 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO. 17% chance to 2HKO with Leftovers.
  • 252SpAtk Life Orb Zapdos (Neutral) Volt Switch vs 252HP/0SpDef Leftovers Water Absorb Suicune (Neutral): 64% - 75% (260 - 306 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
  • 252SpAtk Zapdos (Neutral) Volt Switch vs 252HP/0SpDef Leftovers Crobat (Neutral): 72% - 85% (270 - 318 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
  • 252SpAtk Life Orb Zapdos (Neutral) Volt Switch vs 252HP/0SpDef Leftovers Crobat (Neutral): 93% - 109% (350 - 410 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. 60% chance to OHKO.
  • 252SpAtk Life Orb Zapdos (Neutral) Volt Switch vs 252HP/0SpDef Leftovers Togekiss (Neutral): 69% - 81% (260 - 306 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
  • 252SpAtk Zapdos (Neutral) Volt Switch vs 252HP/0SpDef Leftovers Marvel Scale Milotic (Neutral): 47% - 55% (186 - 218 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO. 7% chance to 2HKO with Leftovers.
  • 252SpAtk Life Orb Zapdos (Neutral) Volt Switch vs 252HP/0SpDef Leftovers Marvel Scale Milotic (Neutral): 60% - 71% (240 - 282 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
  • 252SpAtk Life Orb Zapdos (Neutral) Volt Switch vs 252HP/252SpDef Leftovers Marvel Scale Milotic (+SpDef): 44% - 53% (176 - 212 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO. 2% chance to 2HKO with Leftovers.

Hmm...food for thought, I suppose. Life Orb does make Zapdos more threatening, but not doesn't meaningfully change too many KOs. The only one that I think really matters drastically is changing the outcome of confrontations between Zapdos and Blastoise; if Blastoise switches into 2 Layers of Spikes, LO Zapdos has a reasonably good chance of OHKOing it before it can spin away my Spikes.

Is that reason enough to sacrifice the additional bulk and passive recovery that Leftovers provides? They provide that extra bit of longevity that I really appreciate, and I'm loathe to give up that security. Especially since Life Orb recoil forces me to devote more and more turns to Roost.

I'll do some testing, see how I like it. We'll see.

This team is obviously quite good, but I'll try to make it a bit better. The first thing that annoys me on this team is the lack of a spinblocker, since you'll use froslass as a suicide lead. That's why I urge you to try Golurk over Nidoking. You lose your scarfer, but since you have 2 kinds of priorities on your team already and since the synergy is pretty good, I think you can afford that. Golurk is a more reliable Stealth Rocker than Nidoking and with some defensive investment, he'll be another check for Flygon.

Maybe you could replace Arcanine for another poke, because he seems a weak link in the team. He amplifies the Stealth Rock weakness and isn't really in his place on this team in my opinion. That's why I suggest you to try Amoonguss as bulky pivot on your team, over Arcanine. Hope I helped and good luck!

EDIT: 100st post!
Eh, Golurk has never performed well for me. In the past, I've tried his Standard SubPunch set and a Scarf set with No Guard and Dynamic Punch, but they just didn't seem to be working out for me. His mediocre defenses and paltry speed just make him seem like a bit of a risk for me, even considering the raw power he brings to the table.

Like Organisation Member XIV implied, its useless if I'm going to use him to check Flygon if he can't switch in safely, nor threaten that bloody green dragon before it switches out to something else.

Amoongus seems very interesting, actually, and I'll definitely have to look into it. Toxic/Stun Spore | Spore | Giga Drain | Other is the standard set, unless my memory deceives me? The Mushroom can certainly cover my conspicuous lack of grass attacks, and spreading status around is not something I'd ever complain about. However, if I were to drop Nidoking for Bronzong, and Arcanine for Amoongus, then I seriously compromise my offenses. I'll have to think about it, and do a bit more testing with both.

ZoroDark, I have to respectfully disagree with you in that Golurk can't switch in lest it be 2HKO'd by Outrage, whereas Bronzong says F you to Flygon, sets up rocks, and can Gyro Ball. Even though Ice Punch from Golurk OHKO's Golurk still can't switch in to EQ or Outrage, and no Flygon user in his right mind is gonna stay in when he is choice-locked into Fire Punch. Also Butterfly, I have another suggestion. If you want, use a Physically Bulky Hitmontop over Arcanine. While it can't beat Bronzong, it can also spread Toxic, has Intimidate, and can even spin if you want it to, although I really don't think it is necessary. The set is:

Hitmontop@Leftovers
Intimidate
Impish Nature(+Def, -SpAtk)
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Atk
Close Combat
Toxic
Sucker Punch
Stone Edge
Hitmontop is certainly a bulky threat, but its one that I've used far too much in the past. I've had enough of Hitmontop, for the moment at least.

Still, since I'm not entirely biased because of my feelings of boredom about Hitmontop (after all, I wouldn't be bored of it if it wasn't good enough to use often), and I might dust off my TechniSpin set, as well as giving yours a whirl.

Thanks everyone for your contributions :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)