1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

ChompTar

Discussion in 'VGC' started by yeahhhboiii, Dec 14, 2013.

1. yeahhhboiii

yeahhhboiii

I'm an inexperienced Doubles player, so I'm learning the game, and I love it so far. However, no matter what Pokemon I send out, a correctly played ChompTar set wrecks me. I was wondering if anyone knew a good counter to Ttar and Chomp on the field together, so I could fit it into a team.
  2. Sprocket

Sprocket P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n

There are lots of counters for ChompTar. For example:

A slower Politoed + Kingdra/Ludicolo is a hard counter, keeping a lead TTar from setting Sand (unless TTar megas), with Kingdra/Ludicolo outspeeding chomp and firing off powerful Draco Meteors/Dragon Pulses/Ice Beams to OHKO Chomp. With the weather changed away from Sand, Ttar takes full damage from Water/Grass attacks and risks a OHKO if it isn't carrying a Focus Sash or the proper resist berry.

You can also lead with a Scrafty + Rotom-W set. Scrafty provides Intimidate and Fake Out while Rotom-W spreads Will-O-Wisp to neuter both threats (though Ttar is capable of running a special set, and won't have its damage reduced by a burn).

There's also a nuclear option: Mega Lucario + Expert Belt/Life Orb Greninja to OHKO both with powerful fighting/steel/ice attacks.

Lastly, you can always run a powerful Fairy like Aromatisse or Clefable to sponge attacks, and threaten a KO with strong Fairy attacks like Dazzling Gleam.
  3. TheMantyke

TheMantyke DISRESPECT YOUR SUPERIORS
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnus
    VGC Leader

:(

Anyway, Garchomp and Tyranitar both share a vulnerability to Intimidate, so packing a user of that on your team is a step in the right direct for dealing with these two. For these two in particular, Scrafty might be your best bet since it does not care about Tyranitar's STABs at all and can weather a few Dragon Claws as well. Spreading burn with something like Rotom-W is also a decent way to deal with these two, though Rotom-W can't take constant Dragon Claws and Crunches for long.

I like to stick by the general rule of thumb that if you're looking to stop a Pokemon, you look not for what kills it but what can take a hit and deal serious damage back, but if you're looking for offensive options for dealing with them, there are a few. Scarf Gardevoir can outrun and nuke Garchomp with a Moonblast for an OHKO and can take a Rock Slide or Crunch. Dazzling Gleam is also an option, but even with spread damage, the damage is kind of underwhelming.
  4. Azure Demon

Azure Demon

I wouldn't say scarfed garde isn't good in today's meta though. That new fair typing gives her dragon immunity, but it doesn't fix her physical bulk issue which leave her susseptible to taking lots of damage via priority moves which isn't really ideal for a scarfer.
  5. TheMantyke

TheMantyke DISRESPECT YOUR SUPERIORS
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnus
    VGC Leader

I mean obviously you're going to have issues with things like Scizor and strong physical attackers you can't outright OHKO but that's what partners are for. Being able to get OHKOs on Garchomp, Scrafty, Hydreigon, Gyarados, Salamence and a whole host of other less notable frail threats is pretty cool. On top of all that, it plays nice with your own Garchomp and spread move users with Telepathy. I've heard some solid praise for it from others and I don't think it's teetering very close to unviable.
  6. yeahhhboiii

yeahhhboiii

Thank you so much for your help guys! I wish I could run an Ice Punch Scrafty to deal with Chomp too, but I'm still thinking that Scrafty + RotomW is my best bet. I really appreciate what this community has done for me.
    TheMantyke likes this.
  7. Sprocket

Sprocket P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n

Nothing is stopping you from breeding Ice Punch onto Scrafty. Smeargle can sketch it and then breed it onto Scraggy. Or else chain breed it as follows: Medicham move reteacher -> Buneary -> Scraggy, or Hitmonchan level-up > Buneary -> Scraggy
  8. Azure Demon

Azure Demon

See my only issue with the whole bulk thing is I don't think garde in 8/10 situations Is one of the last pokemon I'd like to have locked into something especially when considering how frail she is and how often protect pokes and berry munchers (That is my new term for pokemon who have weakness berries) come up in this meta I just feel she could be used in more efficient ways OR other pokemon could pull off her job, but a bit better.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)