Chrome For a Cause

https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/bbfammmagchhaohncbhghoohcfoeckdi?hl=en-US

http://chrome.blogspot.com/2010/12/browse-for-good-cause.html

The chrome for a cause extension will count your tabs while you browse the web. At the end of the day, you'll be asked to choose a charity to receive your tabs. Every day between December 15 and 19 presents the chance to contribute your tabs, so you can choose to support the same charity or pick a different one each day.

Seems like a fairly cool thing. Just install the extension (it doesn't store your history, it just keeps a track of how many tabs you visited), and browse the web. You'll need a Google account to participate.

I suggest reading TVTropes.

Google has more than enough money to just donate whatever they want. All this is in the end is an intelligent corporate advertisement, not something that is actually remotely meaningful.

If it makes me feel like I'm doing something good, isn't it enough? And now that Google has done this, shouldn't we take advantage of their "stingyness" and try making them give as much money as possible?

If it makes me feel like I'm doing something good, isn't it enough? And now that Google has done this, shouldn't we take advantage of their "stingyness" and try making them give as much money as possible?
No, it is not enough. You are buying into the corporate advertisement, which is the opposite of mindful. I am not even trying to be all conspiracy theory/anti-groupthink or anything, it is just common sense that it is base manipulation at the core. Sadly, most parts of life are just chasing money, including google doing this.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
No, it is not enough. You are buying into the corporate advertisement, which is the opposite of mindful. I am not even trying to be all conspiracy theory/anti-groupthink or anything, it is just common sense that it is base manipulation at the core. Sadly, most parts of life are just chasing money, including google doing this.
While I agree with your sentiments, there is zero harm in using this app if you use Chrome already. Google doesn't stand to gain any money from you installing a plugin on a browser you already use.

I dislike stuff like this. Instead of tabs for a cause or etc, how about just donating money yourself? Eliminate the middleman or gimmick.

Fair enough. I think it's a good idea to give though, I'm volunteering in a school for handicapped children for a few days!! :D

I'd rather just donate to a charity as I see fit. Probably won't be using it as I don't use Chrome.

I guess I can see where you're coming from and I kinda need to get past my love for Google as it is so let me try bringing up points with a level head. My last response was kinda fanboyish.

If someone (whether or not they have a lot of money) says that if you do something (that you already do) they will give to charity, isn't it best to seize the opportunity? The minimal amount of megabytes the extension will take on your computer won't really matter and the few seconds to decide which charity the money goes to doesn't have to be done right away.

I can understand if someone was using Firefox/other browser and didn't want to make the switch, but if you're already using Chrome, I can't think of any reason not to add this extension. And yeah, from Google's point of view, this is genius in terms of PR and advertising for their browser (which in turn is advertising for their OS now).

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
okay
put all your bookmarks in one folder
hold control
click on that folder like a mad man for ten seconds
go do something else for five minutes
google donates fresh water to one person for a year

I can't do that by myself. Great CK, you see that this is an obvious marketing ploy. As everybody has already pointed out though, if you already have google chrome it takes no effort to install this plug in.

google planted 25 tree's yesterday.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)