Churine (Analysis) [QC 0/2]

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/548.shtml

[Overview]

<p>Welcome one of the most threatening Sun Sweepers introduced in Generaion V, Churine. While it may be cute, it certainly has all the necesarry tools to take the Generation V Metagame by storm, provided there's Sun present. Among the aforementioned tools Churine has at it's disposal we find excellent boosting moves such as Growth, which in conjunction with Sun support, turn Churine into a very powerful Sweeper after only one boost. Churine also has very potent support options, among which we can find moves like Sleep Powder and Stun Spore, Leech Seed, Synthesis, and Healing Wish. With these moves in hand, Churine is certain to become a staple Pokemon in Sun Teams all through Gen V, be in the role of an extremely threatening Sweeper, or a really fast supporter.</p>

[SET]
name: Sunny Day Sweeper
move 1: Solarbeam / Energy Ball
move 2: Growth
move 3: Hidden Power Fire
move 4: Sleep Powder
item: Evolution Stone / Oran Berry
ability: Chlorophyll
nature: Timid
evs: 76 Hp / 36 Def / 196 SpA / 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is the one set that turns Churine into such a threatening sweeper, with adecuate Sun support, Churine reaches 24 Speed post Chlorophyll, allowing it to outspeed most, if not all of the Little Cup Metagame. The choice between Solarbeam and Energy Ball is entirely up to preference, Solarbeam provides Churine with an incredibly powerful STAB sitting at 120 BP, however, should the Sun support be cut, Churine would stand with a 2 Turn move as STAB, whereas Energy Ball is reliable and powerful under any weather conditions. Yet, Solarbeam is often the superior option given how Churine will almost always be under the Sun when attempting to sweep, and the extra base power comes in really handy when sweeping. Growth is the crux of the set, handing Churine a handy +2 boost to it's special attack, effectively reaching a stagering 30 after only 1 turn of setup under the Sun, allowing Churine to sweep with 24 Speed, STAB Solarbeam and Sun boosted Hidden Power. Getting into Hidden Power, this is probably Churine's best secondary move choice, given how it allows her to defeat fellow Grass Types and Tesshiido, as well as severely dent any Steel Type she may come across while sweeping. It is also worth noting that Hidden Power Fire receives a boost akin to STAB while under the Sun, which further boosts Churine's position as a terrifying sweeper. Finally, Sleep Powder is an excellent move to accompany this set, since while carying it, Churine can quickly disable any counter or Pokemon that would otherwise prevent her sweep, allowing her more setup time while the opponent risks either staying asleep, or resetting the sleep counter, making for an utterly evil combination.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The Item choice between Oran Berry and Evolution Stone is once again a close one. The Evolution Stone allows Churine to soften may priority blows which may come her way, whereas the Oran Berry could make up for a miss on Sleep Powder's account, or prevent Churine from being overun by Priority as well. The choice of Life Orb greatly increases Churine's power, however, it cuts on her longevity, and it might become crucial as a way to stop her, by pushing her into priority range. The clear ability choice here is Chlorophyll, which is the ability the set is based around, letting Churine hit 24 Speed after Chlorophyll. The recommended EV spread assists Churine in sweeping, while slightly increasing her bulk. The EVs are set to Defence given the abundance of Physical Typed priority in today's Little Cup metagame.</p>

[SET]
name: Speedy Sub Seed
move 1: Leech Seed
move 2: Subsitute
move 3: Sleep Powder
move 4: Giga Drain / Solarbeam / Hidden Power Fire
item: Evolution Stone
ability: Chlorophyll
nature: Timid
evs: 236 Hp / 36 Def / 36 SDef / 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This Churine set attempts to immitate what Monmen does best, SubSeeding. However, while it may seem that Monmen does outclass this set intirely thanks to Mischievous Heart, Churine has an important thing Monmen lacks, Sleep Powder, an excellent move which greatly increases the efficiency of the SubSeed strategy by sleeping any Pokemon who may come into Churine, or just about any unsuspecting victim. Sleep Powder allows Churine to set up a Substitute nearly unhindered, and thanks to this Substitute, she can now proceed to abuse Leech Seed and her 24 Speed. The first move of choice of this set is obviously Leech Seed, the crux of this set which allows Churine to stall most Pokemon in Little Cup thanks to her bulk, and to the healing provided by Leech Seed. Substitute is the second move of choice, allowing Churine to continue her SubSeed strategy by setting up a buffer and making her impervious to damage, and as it was mentioned before, with the assistance of Sleep Powder, she can set Substitute up nearly unscathed most of the time. The third move of the set is Sleep Powder, which bolsters Churine's niche over Monmen, and it also grants countless setup chances for Churine to pull off even more Substitutes and continue her reign of terror of countless hours of stall. The choice for a final move is a lot trickier, Giga Drain providing even more healing to Churine and increasing her bulk even more, Solarbeam provides high powered STAB with which to hit her targets while on a free turn earned through Substitute or Sleep Powder. Hidden Power Fire allows Churine to hit opposing Grass type Pokemon who are immune to the SubSeed strategy, such as Tesshiido with the power of a full powered STAB under the Sun backed up by Churine's great special attack.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The Item choice for this set is clear, given how Churine has several reliable methods of healing, increasing her defences is the best course to take, with an Evolution Stone attached, Churine reaches 24 / 18 / 18 defences, which is incredible bulky be Little Cup standards. Chlorophyll is once again an extremely important ability which allows Churine to reach 24 Speed with the suggested spread, ourunning most if not all of Little Cup, and allowing her to immitate Monmen with great precision. It is worth noting, however, that this Churine can only perform under the sun unlike it's fellow Grass Type Monmen, whereas Monmen can perform it's SubSeed duties regardless of the weather.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>For Churine, the Sun is mandatory. For this reason alone, Vulpix makes a great teamate for any Churine. Churine is greatly afraid of Fire Types which may stop her sweep or abuse the sun to OHKO her, so any Pokemon who can consistently defeat Fire Types, such as Onix or Cranidos makes a great partner for Churine. Churine is also afraid of Flying Types who resist her STAB Grass attacks, and so, the aforementioned Rock Types make great partners for more than one reason. Any Pokemon who could get rid of Flying and Fire Types that pleague Churine will make for a great partner and Sun Team addition. Also, Churine greatly appreciates Pokemon with Fire Immunities, such as Houndour who can take advantage of the Sun, as well as provide a way to stop opposing Pokemon from abusing Churine's sun and roasting her to a crisp with boosted Fire attacks.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>Outside of those mentioned, Churine has really few viable options in her arsenal. One of the few moves which come to mind is Synthesis, which will offer Churine another reliable way of healing along Leech Seed and Giga Drain, making her even bulkier and harder to take down as long as the sun continues to shine. Another of Churine's options is Healing Wish, which may assist one of Churine's teamates on a heavy offense Team, or a sun stall team by bringing back another teamate from death's doorstep. Finally, Churine has Stun Spore in her arsenal too, which would allow her to set effective support for a Team, however, given the advert of her use in Sun Teams, the need of Paralysis support is somewhat reduced, and thus this is relegated to a lesser choice in comparison to other moves.</p>

[Counters]

<p>Fire Pokemon are the bane of Churine. Pokemon such as Houndour or Magby who resist all of Churine's moves could come in on a kill, and burn her to a crisp. As everything that attempts to defeat Churine, though, they must be wary of Sleep Powder. Flying Pokemon such as bulky Feather Dance Murkrow also don't care too much from SolarBeam, however, they must be very careful when Roosting, as Solarbeam becomes neutral and will dent anything that tries to take it. Tesshiido can also come in on any Churine without Hidden Power Fire, and Gyro Ball her to death taking advantage of her hightened speed. Tesshiido must be very ary of Hidden Power Fire, though.</p>

<p>The bane of Churine, however, are Pokemon who could manage to change the weather from Sun to anything else. This would render both of her sets close to useless due to the lack of speed. Scarf Snover is quite a convincing choice, since it can come in on SolarBeam, change the weather to Hail, and proceed to Blizzard Churine to oblivion. However, Snover must be wary of Churine's partners, since Sun Teams tend to be stuffed to the brim with Fire Types who can dispatch Snover. Mantyke with Rain Dance, Ice Beam or Hidden Power Flying also make for a convincing stopper to Churine, having great special defence with which to absorb Churine's attacks, the ability to change the weather from Sun, and super effective moves to hit Churine with. Tentacool with Poison moves can stop both sets, although it is severely hurt by lack of consistent healing, which Churine could take advantage off to continue her reign of terror.</p>

Call me crazy, but I think this thing can make use of Return. With Growth now acting as a Nasty Plot and and Swords Dance, Return might actually do something. This guy has no Special movepool, maybe a mixed Growth set? With a neutral nature and 76 Atk EVs, this guy will hit an impressive 22 attack after a Growth. With Evolution Stone, this guy also becomes quite bulky, so I'm not sure if the assistance of Sleep Powder is necessary, especially with its low accuracy. This is the set I have in mind:

Churine (F) @ Evolution Stone
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 80 Atk / 200 SAtk / 200 Spd
Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
- SolarBeam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Return
- Growth

The EVs aim to maximize special attack and speed, then put the rest in Atk. With Evo Stone and Chlorophyll, these are her stats after Growth:

21 / 22 / 13 / 34 / 16 / 24

Pretty sweet right?

And what exactly would Return hit that isn't covered or hit harder by SolarBeam and STAB Hidden Power Fire? Not a bad idea for a mixed set, but I'd like to see.

EDIT: Those stats look all right, I could add a Mixed set upon knowing Return's merit.

Yeah I see your point xD

this is actually pretty awesome. after a growth on naive houndour:

Churine @ Evolution Stone (200 EVs, +Nature, +2) Solarbeam vs Houndour @ Life Orb (0/0 EVs, -Nature): 100 - 119% (21 - 25 HP)

Yeah I see your point xD

this is actually pretty awesome. after a growth on naive houndour:

Churine @ Evolution Stone (200 EVs, +Nature, +2) Solarbeam vs Houndour @ Life Orb (0/0 EVs, -Nature): 100 - 119% (21 - 25 HP)
Given these, I'd say Return is a bit unnecesarry. I'll add it to OC, though. Thanks for the heads up on that.

EDIT: IF I find something to hit Return with...

Just a heads up, you want to put paragraph symbols and full stops in your paragraphs.

<p>Like this. This is what a paragraph should look like.</p>

Plus, referring to your signature, I would call this done as it has no QC approval.

Oh, I seem to have missed the p's in this analysis. That aside, I just use my sig to sort out what I've finished writing, although not necesarily QC'd.

Getting back into the analysis, I'll get into adding the paragraphs immediately.

EDIT: Added.

<p>This Churine set attempts to immitate what Monmen does best, SubSeeding. However, while it may seem that Monmen does outclass this set intirely thanks to Mischievous Heart, Churine has two important things Monmen lacks. This first is Sleep Powder, an excellent move which greatly increases the efficiency of the SubSeed strategy by sleeping any Pokemon who may come into Churine, or just about any unsuspecting victim. Sleep Powder allows Churine to set up a Substitute nearly unhindered, and thanks to this Substitute, she can now proceed to abuse Leech Seed and her 24 Speed. The first move of choice of this set is obviously Leech Seed, the crux of this set which allows Churine to stall most Pokemon in Little Cup thanks to her bulk, and to the healing provided by Leech Seed. Substitute is the second move of choice, allowing Churine to continue her SubSeed strategy by setting up a buffer and making her impervious to damage, and as it was mentioned before, with the assistance of Sleep Powder, she can set Substitute up nearly unscathed most of the time. The third move of the set is Sleep Powder, which bolsters Churine's niche over Monmen, and it also grants countless setup chances for Churine to pull off even more Substitutes and continue her reign of terror of countless hours of stall. The choice for a final move is a lot trickier, Giga Drain providing even more healing to Churine and increasing her bulk even more, Solarbeam provides high powered STAB with which to hit her targets while on a free turn earned through Substitute or Sleep Powder. Hidden Power Fire allows Churine to hit opposing Grass type Pokemon who are immune to the SubSeed strategy, such as Tesshiido with the power of a full powered STAB under the Sun backed up by Churine's great special attack.</p>
Unless I missed it in the wall of text, didn't you forget what the second-thing-that-Churine-has-over-Monmen was?

In Team Options, you should mention Flash Fire pokemon like Houndour. In sun, 2x fire resists become a lot more shakey, so immunities are nice. And they're also boosted by sun. STAB Sun LO Flash Fire Houndour Fire Blast: awesomesauce

Also, never use Energy Ball, Giga Drain is always better. Especially since Churine's running defensive items.

Mention that without any form of recovery, Oran works better with Solarbeam.

Unless I missed it in the wall of text, didn't you forget what the second-thing-that-Churine-has-over-Monmen was?

In Team Options, you should mention Flash Fire pokemon like Houndour. In sun, 2x fire resists become a lot more shakey, so immunities are nice. And they're also boosted by sun. STAB Sun LO Flash Fire Houndour Fire Blast: awesomesauce

Also, never use Energy Ball, Giga Drain is always better. Especially since Churine's running defensive items.

Mention that without any form of recovery, Oran works better with Solarbeam.
Oops! I can't quite remember, I think it was Churine's excellent Special Attack, but I've left it as Sleep Powder. Team Options has been editted as well.

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
on the sunny day sweeper, I run 200 evs in speed and sp atk allowing it to reach 13 speed and 16 sp atk. I like more attack and speed instead of bulk.

on the sunny day sweeper, I run 200 evs in speed and sp atk allowing it to reach 13 speed and 16 sp atk. I like more attack and speed instead of bulk.
Churine reaches 13 Spe and 16 Sp. A with 196 EVs on each stat with a Timid Nature. 200 yields the same results, but thanks for the check.

With Hidden Power Fire, you need 200 EVs in both Special Attack and Speed to hit 196. Just take out the HP EVs and invest 36 in Special Defense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)