Clawitzer (QC: 2/3) I'm such a john I apologize

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empress

Don't waffle or you'll get pancaked
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Taken over from Ununhexium
Yeah I know this is super outdated; I'll be bringing it up to date in the meantime.

Clawitzer
QC: 2/3 (Arikado, Spirit)
GP: 0/3

[OVERVIEW]

• ITS A GIANT CLAW
  • Good Special Attack
  • Awesome coverage options
  • Good ability in Mega Launcher
  • Slow
  • Mediocre bulk
  • Major competition from other wallbreakers such as Dragalge
[SET]
name: "Claw." - Birkal (this is the best I could do for a funny claw pun)
move 1: Scald
move 2: Dark Pulse
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Aura Sphere
item: Life Orb
ability: Mega Launcher
nature: Modest
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Scald is a reliable, spammable STAB attack that comes with a high chance to burn the foe. Dark Pulse gets a Mega Launcher boost and nails Psychic- and Ghost-types, such as Reuniclus and Jellicent, respectively. Ice Beam hits several important Pokemon in RU for massive damage, such as Noivern, Flygon, and Togetic. Aura Sphere is used to put a dent in the likes of Cobalion, Mega Glalie, and Scrafty.

Set Details
========

Full investment in Special Attack and a Modest nature allow Clawitzer to hit as hard as possible. Maximum Speed EVs are used to outspeed uninvested base 90 Speed Pokemon, such as Golbat. Mega Launcher significantly boosts the power of Dark Pulse and Aura Sphere. Life Orb raises the power of Clawitzer's moves while allowing it to switch attacks.

Usage Tips
========

Clawitzer is surprisingly frail and gets worn down quickly by Life Orb recoil, so be sure to bring it in off a free switch when possible. If you can't do this, then switch Clawitzer into a defensive Pokemon that cannot do much damage to it, such as Golbat, Cofagrigus, Jellicent, or Togetic. Due to the raw power and wide coverage that Clawitzer possesses, use it to break down opposing walls in the early-game. If you're facing a stall team, feel free to spam Clawitzer's attacks at will. If facing a balance team, use Clawitzer to dismantle the team's defensive core.

Team Options
========

Naturally fast Pokemon such as Jolteon and Choice Scarf users such as Delphox can take out the Pokemon that outspeed Clawitzer. This is important because Clawitzer's bulk is not great, so a Pokemon that is faster than it can deal serious damage to it. Delphox also helps Clawitzer against Grass-types such as Amoonguss, Tangrowth, and Virizion; other Fire-types such as Houndoom can do this as well. Grass-types such as Rotom-C, Shiftry, and Virizion can take out the Water-types that wall Clawitzer. Shiftry also provides Defog support, clearing Clawitzer's side of the field of entry hazards and preventing it from being worn down. As Clawitzer forces a lot of switches due to its vast coverage, entry hazard setters such as Cobalion and Rhyperior can punish switch-ins even further. U-turn and Volt Switch users such as Magneton, Cobalion, Jolteon, Rotom-C, Eelektross, Golbat, and Meloetta can help get Clawitzer into the battlefield safely.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
########
  • Choice Scarf
  • Choice Specs
  • Expert Belt
  • HP Grass / Water Pulse (but Scald burns are much more useful)
  • U-turn
  • Dragon Pulse to have a good chance to OHKO Dragalge

Checks and Counters
########

**Faster Pokemon**: As Clawitzer is relatively slow and its bulk isn't amazing, it has a tough time against faster Pokemon.

**Electric-types**: Though none outside of Eelektross can avoid a 2HKO, Electric-types such as Jolteon, Rotom-C, Heliolisk, and Magneton can revenge KO Clawitzer with their STAB moves.

**Grass-types**: Grass types such as Virizion, Amoonguss, Roselia, and Rotom-C can take anything except Ice Beam and hit back hard with a STAB move.

Last edited:

Empress

Don't waffle or you'll get pancaked
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Snobalt, progress on this? If I don't get a response within 24 hours I'm reassigning.
My computer is broken (writing from my phone) so I won't be able to do much work on this for a couple of days. Once it's fixed I will write this up; don't worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)