Clear Skies Tier: Your impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the semi-official Clear Skies thread!

Anyway so there's this new tier lots of people were craving, and since Auto-weather obviously won't be banned any time soon in OU, this is a blessing:

Ban List:

Same as the OU ban list with the following exceptions:

- Tyranitar, Hippowdon
, Nintetales, Politoed and Abamasnow are banned.

- Vulpix, Hippopotas, Snover are banned.

- Blaziken is still banned.

- Garchomp, Manaphy, Excadrill, Thundurus, Deo-S are all unbanned.

- Rain Dance, Sunny Day, Hail and Sand Storm are allowed.

-------------------------

Aldaron
Pretty fly for a brown guy

I arbitrarily decided to put this ladder on the server of my own accord, and will not even consider anything like suspect tests or anything regarding this. I will keep up with this thread and the opinions in #dreamworld and make moves accordingly, so keep me updated (definitely drop by #dreamworld and talk about it).
--------------------

Keep in mind that some people may try to take advantage of it being new and try to use banned pokemon (the 4 weather inducers, etc.) to ladder quickly, if you see any of those stop, keep the match running and call a mod immediately to monitor it. Or you could just explain to them that there using banned pokemon and suggest a draw.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
I thought this was discussed many times in the past. From what I remember, the mods decided that a clear skies tier would never exist. It would only split the playerbase and cater to those who desire a metagame catering to their personal wants.

At least a while ago, Garchomp was running around on a rampage.
The SDYache set was fantastic overall. Latios, and Latias to a lesser degree due to her low usage, was annoying but other than that it was exactly the same (sort of due to a few faster mons of gen 5) as it was back in gen 4.

I don't know if you know alpha, but a CS tier is now available by selection.

Well technically all tiers cater to personal wants, the wants in question are just different. Some want to use pokemon they are nostalgic to and at the same time they don't want to play against pokemon who are way overpowered compaired to them, others don't want weather to dictate strategy, etc.

Edit: Is Garchomp allowed in CS tier? It's still technically OU so anyone using it should be reported immediately or at least until the round suspect is over.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Oh ho! My mistake then. This is what I get for not actually playing.

And true. You are right about all tiers doing that.

I don't know if you know alpha, but a CS tier is now available by selection.

Well technically all tiers cater to personal wants, the wants in question are just different. Some want to use pokemon they are nostalgic to and at the same time they don't want to play against pokemon who are way overpowered compaired to them, others don't want weather to dictate strategy, etc.

Edit: Is Garchomp allowed in CS tier? It's still technically OU so anyone using it should be reported immediately or at least until the round suspect is over.
it was when i used it like a month ago
did it get banned? i thought only blaziken got banned.
If it did get banned sorry about the garchomp talk as it would be irrelevant >.<

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Seeing as how lolsandveil is pretty much the reason people decided to ban Garchomp...

Petition to change the name of the tier, since Clear Skies was the name used for Sunny Day in Gold/Silver before the official localization. It is not a sun tier. :chaos:

I'd love to have a more established clear skies tier. With excadrill and cholorphyll users out there, the speed tiers are all messed up. It's so not fun facing people with these weather teams that all look alike. I mean seriously- it bugs me. I worry that Baton Pass would be even more broken in CS.

I'd love to see Garchomp in a CS tier as people can't abuse sand veil there. I don't think SB Blaziken should be brought down though since even though drizzle and double speed in weather exists, it still got banned there.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I was wondering if a thread for the new tier would pop up ;]

Does anyone know the ban list for Clear Skies? I'm pretty sure Manaphy, Garchomp, Excadrill, and Thundurus all safely reside in this tier, but otherwise the ban list is identical to OU. I also heard that Deoxys-S was banned in Clear Skies, but I'd like to hear some confirmation about that :0

AfroThunderRule

*yawn* ez
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Well I made a random team consisting on Garchomp, Manaphy, Deoxys-S, Blazkien, Thundurus, Excadrill and it's telling me that only Blaziken is banned from it.

Interesting.

TROP

BAN DRUDDIGON. FIREWALL DRAGON DID NOTHING WRONG
Well I made a random team consisting on Garchomp, Manaphy, Deoxys-S, Blazkien, Thundurus, Excadrill and it's telling me that only Blaziken is banned from it.

Interesting.
I like what I'm reading.

Silly question ,can I still use 8 turn weather moves on this tier?.

8D this is amazing, it is like my b-day and x-mas in one. THANK YOU WHOEVER MADE THIS.

Edit: What is the odds we will get our own sub-forum?

AfroThunderRule

*yawn* ez
Well made another team with dumb things like Sandstorm Garchomp and Rain Dance Manaphy and it's allowing me to the tier.

Also something funny I noticed, Ninetales/Politoed are banned regardless of what ability they have (Drought or Flash Fire) (Drizzle or Water Absorb/Damp)

PS, sorry for any bad English

I always thought Clear Skies tier is just OU without auto-weather. Yet I'm seeing so many Garchomp's running around so I'm beginning to question myself.

Edit: Yes you should be able to use set-up weather using rain dance, sand storm, hail and sunny day since it's temporary and requires set up turns but until there's a clear ban list on this, I can't be 100% certain.

Edit2: Made a bold statement (c wut i did thar?) making it clear that only the 4 weather inducers are banned and everything else is blurry at the moment.

TROP

BAN DRUDDIGON. FIREWALL DRAGON DID NOTHING WRONG
Just asking,how common is Manaphy on this tier?.

Id like to see how this pans out

And honestly who would bother to use ninetales or politoed without drizz/drought?

And have hippos/snover/vulpix been banned?

edit: just checked. potas/snover/vulpix are legal currently lol

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
If I can recall from what Aldaron was saying in #dw a few days ago
- All weather abilities banned
- Garchomp, Manaphy unbanned. Blaziken still banned.
- Deoxys-S -may- be banned but I don't recall

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Aldaron did ban Deoxys-S.

Let's all keep in mind this is nowhere near an 'official' tier, no suspect testing will be done, and probably no C&C work either. All RMTs for this would probably go in 'Other Teams', not 'OU', as well.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Might sound a silly question, but why exactly was Deo-S banned? And is it really agreed upon Garchomp being broken only because of Sand Veil but Blaziken deserving of a ban even without Drought?

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Thanks AfroThunderRule and Jibaku for the confirmation. I'm also not getting the ban on Deoxys-S. Lead Spikes + SR doesn't lay down Spikes any better than Ferrothorn, etc, and if you have a Rapid Spinner, it's easy to spin them off after killing Deoxys-S.

The late-game sweeper Deoxys may be powerful, but there should be at least one mon in your team that can take a hit / take it down with priority. Don't know how the lack of Sand Rush / Chlorophyll mons make a difference in dispatching Deoxys-S, since the majority of the teams in BW OU lack these weather abusers. Team Preview also helps.

I think the biggest distinction between Clear Skies and BW OU is the absence of Ttar in the former tier. Latios may be a bitch to deal with, who knows :d

I hope this tier gets more popular. OU needs some more creative teams. It'll probably prompt more people to use pokemon like Mamoswine and Wobbuffet to defeat pokemon like Garchomp instead of using a +speed weather ability. Although I don't understand the banning of Deoxys-S, if anything Garchomp's more threatening. Blaziken, I do understand, as normal OU has more obstacles namely drizzle and +speed weather abilities- it still got banned there.

i don't know if garchomp is not broken or not
back when it was widely used in PO (yeah PO but meh), it was ridiculously powerful and i thought it was very hard to play around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)