Clefable [QC: 2/3, writing]

tumblr_n25rd2RQc71s3bc1no2_400.gif

[OVERVIEW]

• Has access to a wide variety of useful support moves consisting of Follow Me, Thunder Wave, Helping Hand, Icy Wind, Encore, and Safeguard.
  • Good mixed bulk allows it to take attacks from both sides
  • Solid defensive typing
  • Unaware + redirection is Clefable's main niche, preventing set up mons from doing huge damage to your team while simultaneously protecting your other 'mons from hits
  • Intimidate doesn't affect the opponent's attack stat when hitting Clefable
  • Clefable should be used on teams in need of ways to stop Pokemon that set up and sweep while also in need of an offensive presence, otherwise, Togekiss or Clefairy may fit the team better
[SET]
name: Follow Me Support
move 1: Follow Me
move 2: Moonblast
move 3: Helping Hand / Thunder Wave
move 4: Protect
item: Sitrus Berry
ability: Unaware
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 140 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

• Follow Me defines the set: it redirects attacks that your allies don't want to take and works well with your fairly good bulk
    • Moonblast is a STAB attack with good base power
    • Helping Hand lets your partner attain KO's that they wouldn't have normally
    • Alternatively, Thunder Wave is great for slowing down enemy mons
    • Protect stalls out field effects and buys time for Clef's partner to attack
Set Details
========

• EV spread allows it to take Jolly MMeta Meteor Mash
  • Sitrus Berry increases the longevity of Clefable
  • Unaware cockblocks set up mons
Usage Tips
========
  • Follow Me can be used to safely knock out an opponent with your partner
  • It can also be used to let a threatening partner set up without a risk (kanga azu)
  • Use Helping Hand cautiously if your opponent is able to use Protect. Using a HH boosted attack into a Protect wastes your turn and gives the opponent a free attack with their other mon
  • HH is best used to get a surprise kill
  • Moonblast can be used to get chip damage and should be used when Follow Me/HH aren't useful but it's too risky to switch
  • Clef can be used as an emergency check to +2 Kang if you have a partner that threatens it bc follow me redirects sucker and it lives whatever kanga has
  • Clefable's Unaware ignores Intimidate on the opponent mons, so don't expect for Clefable to take a hit easier thanks to a partner's Intimidate
Team Options
========

• Kanga azu cheese likes having clef to set up and attack safely
  • Clefable redirects attacks Fighting and Dragon attacks that threaten Kyube and allow it to safely set up a Substitute
  • Also works well with Hydreigon, redirects the same sort of attacks and lets it freely fire off powerful hits
  • Redirects moves for Heatran to set up a Sub too and tran beats steel types
  • Doesn't like Bisharp so stuff to beat that is appreciated
  • Mega Diancie beats the common Taunt users like Thundurus, Keldeo and Terrakion and appreciates redirection
[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

• Moonlight allows for Clefable to recover and redirect more hits
  • Encore can be used to lock down threats in combination with your speed control
  • Ice Beam with 92 SpA EVs allow it to OHKO standard Scarf Lando-T, a good mon to OHKO because it doesn't care about your redirection. However, you need to give up your STAB move for it.
  • Icy Wind is another form of speed control but leaves you very vulnerable to Bisharp and still doesn't allow Clef to outspeed it and anything faster
  • Rocky Helmet damages physical attackers when you redirect their attacks but you lose out on sitrus recovery
  • Magic Guard allows you to affect the opponent's attack with Intimidate and redirect burns without taking residual damage but gets rid of Clefable's main niche
  • If Magic Guard is chosen, it has access to a reliable recovery move in Soft-Boiled
  • Safety Goggles lets Clefable redirect Spores from Pokemon like Amoonguss
  • Safeguard can be used to block status but Clefable is slower than every common status spreader besides Amoonguss.
  • Toxic + Unaware beats and walls CM Cress but watch out for substitute
  • Aromatherapy, Heal Pulse, and Healing Wish allows Clefable to heal your team
  • Fake Tears can lower the Special Defense of opposing mons and helps Clefable's teammates break through bulkier threats
Checks and Counters
===================
**Typing Advantage**: Steel Types like Aegislash, Mega Metagross, and Heatran can easily switch into Clefable and either deal severe damage to it or take advantage of it by setting up. Bisharp does not switch in well, but does a number to Clefable with its STAB move. Without TWave, Clefable can't touch Fire Type 'mons like Zard Y and Talonflame as they do a respectable amount to Clefable.

**Strong Attackers**: Clefable is worn down quickly when faced with strong attacks from mons like Kanga and Charizard Y without a recovery move.

**Utility Moves**: Taunt cripples Clefable, allowing it only to use its attacking move. Sleep is also u_u because it can't touch Amoonguss and Breloom outspeeds it.

**Miscellaneous**: Clefable can't redirect spread attacks, so they still threaten its partner.

Last edited:
hi i think i'm ready for qc

i do want some thoughts on ice beam. with 92 spa you OHKO lando-t which is really nice but idk if it's worth the 92 evs + dropping your STAB move. I know it's the standard in vgc but they reaaaally like OHKOing mega mence and it only takes like 28 spa to KO lando. not sure whether to put it as a main move or as the top move in OO.

Last edited:

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
  • EV spread allows it to take 2 Azu Play Roughs and outspeed the relevant metagame threat 0 speed TTar
You'll want to move those Speed EVs away from Speed before Stratos slits your throat for calling Ttar a relevant metagame threat.

I'd also mention
  • Magic Guard in OO (doesn't conflict with your Intimidate, and lets you redirect burn whilst enjoying what is essentially free status immunity)
  • Rocky Helmet in OO (gels well with redirection)
  • Ice Beam in OO since Lando-T is the most common Pokemon that doesn't care about redirection (EQ, Rock Slide, and redirecting U-turn means little). It's not as useful as Moonblast otherwise

You'll want to move those Speed EVs away from Speed before Stratos slits your throat for calling Ttar a relevant metagame threat.

I'd also mention
  • Magic Guard in OO (doesn't conflict with your Intimidate, and lets you redirect burn whilst enjoying what is essentially free status immunity)
  • Rocky Helmet in OO (gels well with redirection)
  • Ice Beam in OO since Lando-T is the most common Pokemon that doesn't care about redirection (EQ, Rock Slide, and redirecting U-turn means little). It's not as useful as Moonblast otherwise
- i just like running a bit of creep on most of the stuff I run. relevant metagame threat was a bit sarcastic haha but you're right, it's probably not appropriate for an analysis

- never thought about free burn redirection, that's actually pretty nifty. no unaware gets rid of its main niche which is pretty lame but it's probably oo worthy

- helmets coolio

- makes sense, good reasoning

thanks!

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm fine with outrunning TTar. It's 16 EVs. Highly unlikely to make a huge difference anywhere else.

SpaceBass

☆ALOLA VERA420: FUKK AMOONGUS AND UR MOM
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Overview needs touching up a little but otherwise pretty much everything is here.

Overview:

• You haven't mentioned what kind of teams Clefable fits on, or what in particular Clef helps with. Example being BD Azu
  • List some of the standout things in its movepool as examples
  • Mention that sometimes Clefairy is better suited
Moves:
  • Maybe slash Moonlight on there, I can't remember what combo is illegal on Clef but I'm pretty sure its to do with softboiled and not Moonlight
Other Options:
  • Mention Flame / Toxic Orb with Magic Guard and Follow Me for an answer for sleep
Checks and Counters:
  • Mention Bisharp and Mega Metagross here
1/3 after you add this.

Overview needs touching up a little but otherwise pretty much everything is here.
Overview:
  • You haven't mentioned what kind of teams Clefable fits on, or what in particular Clef helps with. Example being BD Azu
  • List some of the standout things in its movepool as examples
  • Mention that sometimes Clefairy is better suited
Moves:
  • Maybe slash Moonlight on there, I can't remember what combo is illegal on Clef but I'm pretty sure its to do with softboiled and not Moonlight
Other Options:
  • Mention Flame / Toxic Orb with Magic Guard and Follow Me for an answer for sleep
Checks and Counters:
  • Mention Bisharp and Mega Metagross here
1/3 after you add this.
added everything from here. i don't think moonlight should go on the main set though, clef's already pretty strapped for moveslots. i put it as the top move in OO because i think it's viable but not the best option.

edit: space said its cool :)

Last edited:

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
SpaceBass said:
Maybe slash Moonlight on there, I can't remember what combo is illegal on Clef but I'm pretty sure its to do with softboiled and not Moonlight
For the record, its Soft-Boiled + Aromatherapy that's illegal.

Toxic is "okay" for CM Cress unless it's running Sub, then yer fucked ):

Also, not being able to redirect spread attacks is not necessarily Checks & Counters worthy because that's the Achilles' heel of all redirection users.

For the record, its Soft-Boiled + Aromatherapy that's illegal.

Toxic is "okay" for CM Cress unless it's running Sub, then yer fucked ):

Also, not being able to redirect spread attacks is not necessarily Checks & Counters worthy because that's the Achilles' heel of all redirection users.
- unaware + soft-boiled is illegal too :[

- sub cm cress is pretty good but it's not on the analysis for it so i don't think i should include that

- aight, i took that out

thanks for the input n_n

Yoda2798

Not the user you are looking for
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Doubles Leader
16 Speed EVs allow you to outspeed Adamant Bisharp after an Icy Wind, which will definitely get the jump on most players. Also...
qsns said:
Magic Guard allows you to affect the opponent's attack with Intimidate and redirect burns without taking residual damage but gets rid of Clefable's main niche
Unaware only ignores boosts to the opponent's (Special) Attack, i.e. -1 Kang does the same reduced damage to both Magic Guard and Unaware Clef.

Dark (read: Knock Off) resist is useful enough to perhaps mention, as it can Protect teammates from losing an important item (e.g. Lefties on Sub users).

Mega Diancie might be considered a good partner, as it is frail, while also beating common Taunt users (Thundy, Keldeo, Terrak).

Cress might be another good partner, as Safety Goggles allows it to come in on Spore users, while Clef can direct Taunts (once) and Dark type moves away from it, which is especially useful while Cress is using CM or TR.

Not sure whether a more Physically-based EV spread might be an option, but here are somethings the current spread lives (looks p good tbh):
  • Sash Adamant Bisharp Iron Head (LO needs Bold 212 to always live)
  • Modest/Quiet Aegislash Flash Cannon (LO has chance to OKHO but needs Calm 212 to guarantee)
  • Modest LO/Mega Venusar Sludge Bomb
  • Adamant Mega Kang Return (even without Sitrus, but only has a chance to live FK + Return)
  • Adamant Mega Kang Double Edge (with Sitrus)
  • Jolly Mega Meta Iron Head (Meteor Mash has chance, but bump to 132 still Calm lives it - Adamant needs
  • more, but doesn't require bold)
  • gets 3HKOed by Jirachi Iron Head (with Sitrus)
  • Modest Char-Y Overheat in Sun most of time (184 Calm guarantees)
  • Modest Mega Gengar Sludge Bomb (Wave has chance to OHKO)

(RIP my free time, that was pointless calcing lol)

Some other moves that might be worth OO:
  • Aromatherapy (p niche)
  • Healing Wish (p niche)
  • Reflect/Light Screen (prolly better users tbh)
  • Sunny Day/Rain Dance (Sunny Day with Tran sounds good)
  • Heal Pulse (helps with living spread moves/using BD/taking recoil)
  • Fake Tears/Charm/Confide (prolly less for setup and more for sweeping)

Edit: You appear to be right about Unaware and I am wrong lol.

208 Defence EVs calm makes LO Talonflame a 2HKO with BB/FB (another pointless calc lol)

Also, Unaware ignores Evasion/Accuracy boosts, so that helps when you play Flash Trap or Serp + Defog (I think it was iliketrains11 who used this in Dugtrio Cup)

Last edited:
- bumping up the defense to 132, i definitely like the idea of living jolly mgross meteor mash. living adamant kanga fake out + return also falls in this range so this will be the new spread. 2 LO brave birds is a lot more situational than the other two so i'm hesitant to bump it up even more.

- hey i have another reason to use 16 speed lmao

- knock off resist is pretty sick but the most prominent user is bisharp ;_;

- like the idea of a mdiancie partner. idk about cress though, they both seem reaaaally passive and having two of them on the team just seems like a complete momentum sink to me.

tyvm for the extensive comments + calcs, appreciate it man n_n

also antemortem you're right, editing that in. ty

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Warning - I never played with Clefable. However, Thunder Wave + Encore seems like a sick combo to me in theory. Perhaps you may want to test this out? Definitely OO mention worthy at least, IMO. (edit - Encore would replace Helping Hand)

As for your Ice Beam description - Landorus-T not hassled by redirection is actually a strong reason to use Ice Beam, not the other way around.

Safeguard is always a good choice on Follow Me users IMO. Sleep and Paralysis easily undermine their function. It is an OO-worthy move IMO.

- didn't even know it got encore, that's pretty sick. i'll give it a test run on my team today & tomorrow and see how it does, i'm pretty excited to use it now

- i probably misinterpreted what dmalice said, i'll edit that tomorrow haha

- safeguard's alright but clefs so slow agh x_x it's probably OO worthy though, yea

thanks for the thoughts & comments!

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
WEW 1st ever QC

Overview:
- It's support movepool is actually amazing, you left out cool shit like Safeguard, Encore (you mentioned it later but still), Heal Pulse, Aromatherapy, and Wish
- Mention Unaware + redirection is the main point of this thing, and you could probably condense this and the next point (help setup mons) in one sentence
- Can definitely condense the next two points (Toge and Clefairy) together, something along the lines of "Clefable should be used alongside teams that struggle versus Pokemon that like to setup and sweep such as Azumarill and Kangaskhan, if that is not a pressing concern other redirection users are generally better"

Set:
- Slash Thunder Wave behind Helping Hand, not Protect
- I'd also like to see Icy Wind behind Moonblast because Clefables 0 SpA Moonblast still doesn't do much and the speed control can be more useful quite often (though I'd rather have more than one opinion on this)
- put those 16 Spe EV's back into SpD, 140 SpD Calm vs 124 SpD Calm is the difference between LO Aegislash's Flash Cannon being a 50% chance to OHKO vs a 37.5% chance, and Clefable doesn't need the speed anyway

Usage Tips:
- Seems alright, just mention that Unaware also cancels out your own Intimidate if you have an Intimidate user

Team Options:
- Mention Trick Room setters like Cresselia (from experience, this thing is actually a pain in the ass under Trick Room) and sweepers
- Hydreigon is an excellent partner

Other Options:
- Aromatherapy
- Healing Wish
- Heal Pulse
- Wish <- very underrated move guys
- Fake Tears (pair this with mega camel ooooo)

Checks and Counter:
- I can't remember what this fell under but clefable can't do much to strong attackers like zard and kanga and gets warn down really easily taking repeated hits from them so mention that (i think the tag is **Strong Attackers**?)

Bughouse

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Magic Guard Goggles Softboiled (similar to the old Goggles Roost Togekiss) might be viable, if you want to give it a spin, qsns. If it's not, that's fine, but I think it might merit testing. I don't think Unaware is as necessary as this analysis is spinning it in general.

Will be important to note reasons to use Clefable over both Togekiss and Clefairy throughout, as Clefable has 2 really direct competitors. The main reason to me really seems to be Moonblast and its better defensive typing compared to Togekiss. Makes it better against everything from Rotom-W to Kyu-B to Terrakion, and more. And compared to Clefairy, it can actually attack. If you don't particularly need the Moonblast (ie you're running a set where you have no attacking moves or your only attacking move is Icy Wind), Clefairy is at least as good for your team as Clefable in most circumstances, cuz Friend Guard.

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I tried out Safety Goggles Softboiled on a modified fangame team and it worked quite nicely under Trick Room. I'd personally say Safety Goggles + Magic Guards merits a mention in OO as Clefable now has a near perfect immunity to statuses (barring like Grass Whistle / Sing or Hypnosis shenanigans).

Do everything in the above two posts and I'll stamp this for 2/3 so we can see this written up qsns

shaian

you love to see it
WROTE UP CUZ QUSNUS IS LAZY
[OVERVIEW]
In Doubles OU, Clefable finds itself as an effective Follow Me user thanks to a solid defensive typing coupled with good mixed defenses. However, what separates Clefable from other Follow Me users is its nice access to the ability Unaware, which lets Clefable ignore the opposing teams stat changes. This allows Clefable to work as a quick stop to opposing setup Pokemon such as Belly Drum Azumarill, and Power Up Punch Mega Kangaskhan, when using Follow Me, simultaneously stopping the opposing teams strategies and protecting Clefable's partner from taking hits. In addition to that, Clefable also has a wide variety of other useful support moves such as Thunder Wave, Helping Hand, Icy Wind, Encore, and Safeguard, letting it provide support when Follow Me is unneeded. However, Clefable also suffers the issue of having Unaware also ignore the stat drop provided by an allies Intimidate. This means that unless an opposing Pokemon has their Attack reduced by a Burn, Clefable will almost always be taking hits from +0 even against opponents at -1 or -2, whereas other Follow Me users take reduced hits from the opponents in the same situation. When considering Follow Me users, teams that are in need of a way to stop Pokemon that prefer to set up and sweep should strongly consider Clefable, however teams that are not in need of that particular niche should rather consider Togekiss or Clefairy as Fairy-type Follow Me users.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Follow me is the primary function of the set, redirecting attacks that Clefable's allies do not want to take, and Clefable functions well in this role due it its rather good bulk. Moonblast is used as the primary attack option, as it is a STAB move with a good base power, and allows Clefable to KO Dragon-types such as Hydreigon, as opposed to just redirecting their attacks. Helping Hand is used to allow Clefable's partners to attain KO's that would normally be out of reach, though Thunder Wave is also an option as a means of providing Speed Control, and cripple opposing sweepers who like to rely on their Speed advantage. Protect is used to stall out field effects, to scout for moves, and to allow Clefable's partner to take out a foe who threatens Clefable.

Set Details
========
The HP and Def EVs let Clefable to survive a Meteor Mash from Jolly Mega Metagross, with the remainder put into SpD. Unaware is used to negate the stat boosts of opposing teams set up Pokemon, and a Sitrus Berry is used to increase Clefable's overall longevity.

Usage Tips
========
When using Clefable, Follow me is used primarily to prevent Clefable's partner from taking hits that would otherwise severely damage them or KO them, and let Clefable's partner safely KO an opposing Pokemon. It also allows Clefable's partner to safely set up as well, though Follow Me does not prevent the partner from taking damage from spread moves such as Heat Wave or Earthquake. Helping Hand should be used cautiously, especially if the opposing Pokemon is able to use a guaranteed Protect, as using a Helping Hand boosted move into a Protected foe gives your opponent a free turn. Helping Hand is best used as a means of picking up a surprise KO against opponents who would otherwise survive an attack. Moonblast can be used as both a means of picking up KO's on certain threats, as well as a way of getting in chip damage to bring opposing Pokemon into KO range of Clefable's partner. It can also be used in situations where Follow Me or Helping Hand are either unhelpful or can not be used, but switching to a different Pokemon is too risky. Clefable can also be used as an emergency check to already setup Pokemon such as a +2 Atk Kangaskhan or a +6 Azumarill thanks to Unaware, especially if you have a partner who threatens them as Follow Me and Unaware negates the stat boosts, and prevents the opposing Pokemon from using a priority option to take out Clefable's partner. One thing to be aware of is that Clefable's Unaware ignores Intimidate drops on the opposing Pokemon, so do not expect Clefable to take hits easier thanks to a partners Intimidate.

Team Options
========
Set up sweepers such as Kangaskhan and Azumarill like having Clefable as a partner as it allows them to safely setup, and also prevents opposing set up sweepers from threatening them. Kyurem-B also makes a good partner as Clefable can effortlessly redirect opposing Fighting-, and Dragon-type moves letting Kyurem-B safely set up a Substitute, and Kyurem-B can beat threatening Steel-types with Earth Power, as well as Poison-types such as Venusaur and Amoonguss with Ice Beam. Hydreigon also appreciates how easily Clefable redirects Fighting-, and Dragon-types which lets it freely attack the opposing team without much worry. Pokemon that are capable of beating Steel-types are especially welcome partners for Clefable, so Pokemon such as Charizard-Y, Keldeo, Heatran all make good partners. Mega Diancie is another good partner, as its a frail Pokemon that enjoys redirection, and it can easily beat common Taunt users such as Thundurus, Keldeo, and Terrakion.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Moonlight is an option that allows Clefable to recover HP and continue to redirect hits. Encore can be used to lock threats into unfavourable moves, such as Dragon-types in Draco Meteor or Trick Room users being locked into Trick Room. Clefable can use Ice Beam, coupled with 92 SpA EVs, to allow it to always OHKO standard Choice Scarf Landorus-T, as Landorus-T does not particularly mind Clefables redirection, however it would require giving up a STAB move. Icy Wind is another form of Speed Control and has the benefit of not being blocked by Taunt, however it leaves Clefable even more vulnerable to Bisharp, and Clefables poor Speed means it still would not outrun most relevant threats. Rocky Helmet allows Clefable to get chip damage off against physical attackers with Follow Me, though losing the recovery of Sitrus Berry leaves Clefables overall longevity significantly reduced. Magic Guard can be used to redirect Burns from physical attackers without taking any residual damage, as well as gives Clefable access to a recovery move in Soft-Boiled. Safety Goggles lets Clefable redirect Spores from Pokemon such as Breloom and Amoonguss. Safeguard is an option to block status moves for the whole team, but Clefable is slower than most common status spreaders aside from Amoonguss. A combination of Toxic and Unaware allows Clefable to wall and beat Calm Mind Cresselia. Moves such as Aromatherapy, Heal Pulse, and Healing Wish allows Clefable to fulfill a sort of "cleric" role. Healing Wish in particular allows Clefable to completely rejuvenate a weakened teammate once it has fulfilled its usefulness in a battle. Fake Tears is an option when paired with strong special attackers such as Charizard or Gardevoir as it sharply lowers the Special Defense of opposing Pokemon, letting them break through bulkier threats with ease.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Typing Advantage**: Steel-types Pokemon such as Aegislash, Mega Metagross, and Heatran can easily switch into Clefable and either deal severe damage to it or take advantage of it by setting up. Bisharp does not switch in well, but does significant damage to Clefable with Iron Head. Without Thunder Wave, Clefable can not really hinder Fire-type Pokemons such as Charizard-Y or Talonflame as they do significant damage to Clefable.

**Strong Attackers**: Clefable is worn down quickly when faced with strong attacks from Pokemon such as Mega Kangaskhan and Charizard-Y without a recovery move.

**Utility Moves**: Taunt cripples Clefable, allowing it only to use its attacking move. Sleep is also an issue as Clefable can not really touch Amoonguss and Breloom outspeeds it.

**Miscellaneous**: Clefable can not redirect spread attacks, so they still threaten both it and its partner.
[OVERVIEW]
  • Has access to a wide variety of useful support moves consisting of Follow Me, Thunder Wave, Helping Hand, Icy Wind, Encore, and Safeguard.
  • Good mixed bulk allows it to take attacks from both sides
  • Solid defensive typing
  • Unaware + redirection is Clefable's main niche, preventing set up mons from doing huge damage to your team while simultaneously protecting your other 'mons from hits
  • Intimidate doesn't affect the opponent's attack stat when hitting Clefable
  • Clefable should be used on teams in need of ways to stop Pokemon that set up and sweep while also in need of an offensive presence, otherwise, Togekiss or Clefairy may fit the team better
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

• Follow Me defines the set: it redirects attacks that your allies don't want to take and works well with your fairly good bulk
    • Moonblast is a STAB attack with good base power
    • Helping Hand lets your partner attain KO's that they wouldn't have normally
    • Alternatively, Thunder Wave is great for slowing down enemy mons
    • Protect stalls out field effects and buys time for Clef's partner to attack
Set Details
========

• EV spread allows it to take Jolly MMeta Meteor Mash
  • Sitrus Berry increases the longevity of Clefable
  • Unaware cockblocks set up mons
Usage Tips
========

• Follow Me can be used to safely knock out an opponent with your partner
  • It can also be used to let a threatening partner set up without a risk (kanga azu)
  • Use Helping Hand cautiously if your opponent is able to use Protect. Using a HH boosted attack into a Protect wastes your turn and gives the opponent a free attack with their other mon
  • HH is best used to get a surprise kill
  • Moonblast can be used to get chip damage and should be used when Follow Me/HH aren't useful but it's too risky to switch
  • Clef can be used as an emergency check to +2 Kang if you have a partner that threatens it bc follow me redirects sucker and it lives whatever kanga has
  • Clefable's Unaware ignores Intimidate on the opponent mons, so don't expect for Clefable to take a hit easier thanks to a partner's Intimidate
Team Options
========
  • Kanga azu cheese likes having clef to set up and attack safely
  • Clefable redirects attacks Fighting and Dragon attacks that threaten Kyube and allow it to safely set up a Substitute
  • Also works well with Hydreigon, redirects the same sort of attacks and lets it freely fire off powerful hits
  • Redirects moves for Heatran to set up a Sub too and tran beats steel types
  • Doesn't like Bisharp so stuff to beat that is appreciated
  • Mega Diancie beats the common Taunt users like Thundurus, Keldeo and Terrakion and appreciates redirection
[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

Other Options
=============

• Moonlight allows for Clefable to recover and redirect more hits
  • Encore can be used to lock down threats in combination with your speed control
  • Ice Beam with 92 SpA EVs allow it to OHKO standard Scarf Lando-T, a good mon to OHKO because it doesn't care about your redirection. However, you need to give up your STAB move for it.
  • Icy Wind is another form of speed control but leaves you very vulnerable to Bisharp and still doesn't allow Clef to outspeed it and anything faster
  • Rocky Helmet damages physical attackers when you redirect their attacks but you lose out on sitrus recovery
  • Magic Guard allows you to affect the opponent's attack with Intimidate and redirect burns without taking residual damage but gets rid of Clefable's main niche
  • If Magic Guard is chosen, it has access to a reliable recovery move in Soft-Boiled
  • Safety Goggles lets Clefable redirect Spores from Pokemon like Amoonguss
  • Safeguard can be used to block status but Clefable is slower than every common status spreader besides Amoonguss.
  • Toxic + Unaware beats and walls CM Cress but watch out for substitute
  • Aromatherapy, Heal Pulse, and Healing Wish allows Clefable to heal your team
  • Fake Tears can lower the Special Defense of opposing mons and helps Clefable's teammates break through bulkier threats
Checks and Counters
===================

**Typing Advantage**: Steel Types like Aegislash, Mega Metagross, and Heatran can easily switch into Clefable and either deal severe damage to it or take advantage of it by setting up. Bisharp does not switch in well, but does a number to Clefable with its STAB move. Without TWave, Clefable can't touch Fire Type 'mons like Zard Y and Talonflame as they do a respectable amount to Clefable.

**Strong Attackers**: Clefable is worn down quickly when faced with strong attacks from mons like Kanga and Charizard Y without a recovery move.

**Utility Moves**: Taunt cripples Clefable, allowing it only to use its attacking move. Sleep is also u_u because it can't touch Amoonguss and Breloom outspeeds it.

**Miscellaneous**: Clefable can't redirect spread attacks, so they still threaten its partner.

Also BUMP

Bughouse

shaian like last time you did this (iirc it was you), make new thread and I'll lock this one rip quiznos

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)