Clefable (Trick)

Yes. Clefable got..another option. It's so great :D I've tested Choice Band / Choice Scarf..but I find that Specs is much better.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/clefable

[SET]
name: TrickSpecs
move 1: Trick
move 2: Shadow Ball
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Psychic
item: Choice Specs
ability: Magic Guard
nature: Modest
evs: 212 HP / 252 SpA / 44 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Clefable with Trick is a great suprise, especially when you consider its common switch-ins. Trick means that you can cripple many common switch-ins, such as Hypno. The combination of Shadow Ball / Focus Blast / Psychic is unresisted, and also hits many of the UU Pokémon for super-effective damage. Shadow Ball will hurt Grumpig, Hypno, and Claydol, whilst Focus Blast will always 2HKO opposing Clefable. Psychic also damages Weezing and many Fighting-types which may come in on Clefable.</p>

<p>However, you may prefer the attacking option of Thunderbolt / Ice Beam / Fire Blast. It hits everything in UU for neutral damage bar Lanturn, and can hurt Pokémon such as Mantine and Swellow much harder. Ice Beam will also do more damage to Claydol than Shadow Ball. This is especially recommended in OU play, allowing Clefable to hit Gyarados, Salamence, Skarmory, and other common Pokémon much harder. The 44 Speed EVs allow Clefable to outrun any base 65 Pokémon with a neutral Speed nature and no EVs.</p>

[SET]
name: Orb Trick
move 1: Softboiled
move 2: Seismic Toss
move 3: Ice Beam / Reflect / Light Screen
move 4: Trick
item: Flame Orb / Toxic Orb
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set centers around Clefable's ability to use Trick, but unlike the standard Trick set, this uses the status orbs to cripple the opponent. In UU, some of the most common switch-ins to Clefable are Fighting-type Pokémon, such as Hitmonlee and Hitmontop, and other hard hitting physical Pokémon. This is where Flame Orb does its job. Flame Orb inflicts to holder with a burn status, but thanks to Clefable's ability Magic Guard, Clefable won't be taking any damage from that burn. Clefable is then able to Trick away the Flame Orb to the aforementioned common switch-ins. Toxic Orb is another item option, but it isn't recommended because Clefable can already use Toxic. Toxic Orb can help against Pokémon who are unaffected by burn, but are vulnerable to the worsening poison. This set is just as successful in OU due to the abundance of Fighting types, but Clefable must be wary of activating Heracross's Guts ability. Note in UU Clefable should also watch out for Swellow, who may try to also grab a Guts boost.</p>

<p>The moves here aren't any different from the Blissey With Weight Loss set. Softboiled gives Clefable a reliable form of recovery and Seismic Toss allows Clefable to wear down bulky opponents, especially in conjunction with a status affliction. Clefable has the options of Ice Beam and Stealth Rock here as well. Reflect provides more defensive coverage on the physical side, while Light Screen provides more Special Defense, so it's a personal choice here.</p>

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Yes. Clefable got..another option. It's so great :D I've tested Choice Band / Choice Scarf..but I find that Specs is much better.

[SET]
name: TrickSpecs
move 1: Trick
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Thunderbolt
move 4: Fire Blast / Hidden Power Ground
item: Choice Specs
nature: Modest
evs: 212 HP / 252 SpA / 44 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Clefable with Trick is a great suprise, especially when you consider its common switch-ins. In OU, Choice Specs will help (??? -> is much easier for the average reader to understand) cripple Blissey and Cresselia, allowing the rest of your team to take out these threats easier. Together, Ice Beam and Thunderbolt provide brilliant coverage, hitting everything in the game bar Lanturn, Magnezone, and Shedinja for at least neutral damage. Fire Blast is a powerful move that will deal a minimum of 79% to Celebi before Clefable uses Trick. It will also 2HKO Bronzong, provided Clefable has (not?) used Trick. Trick greatly reduces the ability of these defensive threats to take attacks.</p>

<p>However, Clefable may use Hidden Power Ground. It will OHKO Heatran who otherwise will cause severe problems to this set. Another common switch-in, Infernape, will take much more damage from Hidden Power Ground than any of Clefable's other attacks. It also provides perfect coverage with Ice Beam and Thunderbolt (nc) by hitting Lanturn and Magnezone for super effective damage. The 44 Speed EVs allow Clefable to outspeed no-Speed Scizor and Vaporeon, whom are OHKOed and 2HKOed by the respective super effective attacks. Be wary of the fact that after Clefable uses Trick, it loses much of its attacking power.</p>
I'm not entirely sure where, but Burn Orb and Toxic Orb need to be incorporated into the set; probably in its own paragraph with details about the power loss. Magic Guard is the preferred ability. (nc) = no comma

Updated, and added
"<p>Because of Magic Guard, Clefable does not mind being burnt or poisoned. Because of this, feel free to use a Toxic Orb or Burn Orb, crippling the opponents Pokémon. It can cripple walls by taking their Leftovers and providing them with consistent damage. If you are poisoned, you may also evade other status such as Sleep. However, you lose much of your offensive ability, so a defensive set is viable. However, if you Trick the Burn Orb onto a sweeper and gain a choice item, you may then Trick the choice item onto another wall, possibly shutting down two of the opponents walls.</p>"
as another paragraph.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Updated, and added
<p>Because of Magic Guard, Clefable does not mind being burnt or poisoned. Because of this, feel free to use a Toxic Orb or Burn Orb, crippling the opponents Pokémon after Trick has been used. Tricking Toxic Orb or Burn Orb can hinder walls by taking their Leftovers and providing them with consistent damage. If Clefable is poisoned, it also evades other status such as Sleep. However, Clefable loses much of its offensive ability, so a defensive EV spread is viable. However, if Clefable Tricks the Burn Orb onto a sweeper and gains a choice item, it may then Trick the choice item onto another wall, possibly shutting down two of the opponents walls.</p>
People need to stop referring to the Pokemon as you. xd

And you just copied my corrections and I had comments in them. xdx2

In terms of coverage I prefer Psychic/Shadow Ball/Focus Blast. Hits many common threats of UU for super-effective damage (Claydol, Steelix, Rotom, Fighters, Weezing, etc.), and is completely unresisted.

The last paragraph is unnecessary because the emphasis of this set shouldn't be Trick, it should be Choice Specs. Furthermore, you need to explain its UU uses more, and need to explain how Clefable is useful as an attacking Specser and not just as a Tricking Specser.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
Or he could simply make the focus of the edit Trick instead of Specs (which is what it seems to be anyway) by simply changing the name to "Trick". That would require significantly less work in rewriting the analysis.

If he intended it to be strictly ChoiceSpecs, then by all means remove the last paragraph. I'd be willing to write up a more support oriented Trick set. (This seems like the better option.)

Clefable gets another move set, this one looks nice could work wonders on Trick Room team, as a revenge killer, wall screwer.

Changed to "Trick".

If you look at the Clefable analysis there's already a Choice Specs set..Trick is what differentiates the two. The emphasis of the set is actually Trick, which should be rather obvious with Trick as the first move, and there already being a Choice Specs set..

I think the majority of people prefer the Thunderbolt / Ice Beam / Fire Blast combination, especially in OU. Hitting Gyarados / Salamence / Skarmory in OU for SE, and say Mantine / Drifblim / Scyther / Swellow / Tropius harder etc much more preferable.

However, I would like some more opinions on it. I will add about UU tommorow, gotta catch some sleep because I have a rather busy morning!

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
I'd suggest dividing the Trick set into two and integrating one with the Choice Specs set. The one integrated into the Choice Specs set will be the more offensive one, designed to actually take advantage of Choice Specs before giving it to something else, while the other one will be more of a support Pokemon that Tricks away the Choice Specs and then does things like Thunder Wave or whatever (it can also run another item).

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's Flame Orb, not Burn Orb.

Was there not a set in the works with Trick + Toxic Orb and Facade?

Edit:

(??? -> is much easier for the average reader to understand)
You also left that in the first paragraph of Set Comments from Stellar's edit.

Trick + Toxic Orb doesn't make sense to me when you can run Toxic and poison many Pokemon instead of just one. There is also the fact that with Trick, you run the risk of the opponent predicting that and sending in a Choice Pokemon, which means your Clefable also gets crippled.

If you look at the Clefable analysis there's already a Choice Specs set..Trick is what differentiates the two. The emphasis of the set is actually Trick, which should be rather obvious with Trick as the first move, and there already being a Choice Specs set..

I think the majority of people prefer the Thunderbolt / Ice Beam / Fire Blast combination, especially in OU. Hitting Gyarados / Salamence / Skarmory in OU for SE, and say Mantine / Drifblim / Scyther / Swellow / Tropius harder etc much more preferable.
I don't see why we need a four attack-Specs set in the first place. If you really, really need better coverage than Ghost/Psychic/Fight, make Trick a slash in the last slot.

In OU, yes the "elemental" coverage is much preferable. However, in UU, Ghost/Psychic/Fighting has much preferable coverage. The ability to OHKO most fighters, for example, or OHKO certain Rotom, or to keep the Psychic walls or other Clefable from walling you, etc.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well, maybe you're right. But I think Trick + Toxic Orb + Facade could do with a mention in Other Options. Facade still gets the power boost from Poison, and if you get a Choice Band from an opponent then so be it lol.

I've added a UU paragraph about the points Umbarsc bought up.

About the Trick, I am wondering whether to make it into its "own" set or just perhaps implicate a paragraph on this set, as it is / will be the only Trick set around, unless I do a seperate one for the Flame / Toxic Orb. I probably will, but I would just like some other opinions first!

:)

I still don't see the purpose of Trick Toxic Orb, unless you're determined to poison Rest/Natural Cure Pokemon. Toxic Clefable can potentially stall out an entire team if it's caught without Fighters; Toxic Orb Trick cannot.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
I use Flame Orb, I don't use Toxic Orb, as Trick Flame Orbing works differently than trying to outstall a whole team, which it's mostly for those Fighting type switch ins

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]<p>This set centers around Clefable's ability to use Trick, but unlike the standard Trick set, this uses the status orbs to cripple the opponent. In UU, some of the most common switch-ins to Clefable are Fighting-type Pokemon, such as Hitmonlee and Hitmontop, and other hard hitting physical Pokemon. This is where Flame Orb does its job. Flame Orb inflicts to holder with a burn status, but thanks to Clefable's ability Magic Guard, Clefable won't be taking any damage from that burn. Clefable is then able to Trick away the Flame Orb to the common switch-ins that were mentioned earlier. Toxic Orb is another item option, but it isn't recommended because Clefable can already use Toxic. Toxic Orb can help against Pokemon who are unaffected by burn, but are vulnerable to the worsening poison. This set is just as successful in OU due to the abunance of Fighting types, but Clefable must be wary of activating Heracross's Guts ability.</p>

<p>The moves here aren't any different from the Blissey With Weight Loss set. Softboiled gives Clefable a reliable form of recovery and Seismic Toss allows Clefable to wear down bulky opponents, especially in conjunction with a status affliction. Clefable has the options of Ice Beam and Stealth Rock here as well. Ice Beam can help with Pokemon that are unaffected by Seismic Toss, like Ghost-type Pokemon. Reflect provides more defensive coverage on the physical side, while Light Screen provides more Special Defense, so it's a personal choice here.</p>

Stellar

of the Distant Past

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set centers around Clefable's ability to use Trick, but unlike the standard Trick set, this uses the status orbs to cripple the opponent. In UU, some of the most common switch-ins to Clefable are Fighting-type Pokemon, such as Hitmonlee and Hitmontop, and other hard hitting physical Pokemon. This is where Flame Orb does its job. Flame Orb inflicts to holder with a burn status, but thanks to Clefable's ability Magic Guard, Clefable won't be taking any damage from that burn. Clefable is then able to Trick away the Flame Orb to the common switch-ins that were mentioned earlier. Toxic Orb is another item option, but it isn't recommended because Clefable can already use Toxic. Toxic Orb can help against Pokemon who are unaffected by burn, but are vulnerable to the worsening poison. This set is just as successful in OU due to the abunance of Fighting types, but Clefable must be wary of activating Heracross's Guts ability.</p>

<p>The moves here aren't any different from the Blissey With Weight Loss set. Softboiled gives Clefable a reliable form of recovery and Seismic Toss allows Clefable to wear down bulky opponents, especially in conjunction with a status affliction. Clefable has the options of Ice Beam and Stealth Rock here as well. Ice Beam can help with Pokemon that are unaffected by Seismic Toss, like Ghost-type Pokemon. Reflect provides more defensive coverage on the physical side, while Light Screen provides more Special Defense, so it's a personal choice here.</p>
I had to change a lot of stuff that didn't really make sense. Sorry.

Toxic allows you to poison many opponents; Toxic Orb Trick does not. Just keep Flame Orb as the primary option.

Also, I do not like how you say "standard Trick set". There is no "standard Trick set". This is a lot more comparable to support Clefable than Specs Clefable, so mention how Tricking Flame Orb has the advantage of burning opponents, which the standard support set does not have.

As for TrickSpecs, either call it TrickSpecs or call it Choice Specs. Do not call it Trick, because the emphasis here should be on Specs, and not Trick, because you are merely updating the Choice Specs set. Since its primary use is UU play, make Psychic/Shadow Ball/Focus Blast the primary options, and then mention Clefable's other options in the comments.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Toxic allows you to poison many opponents; Toxic Orb Trick does not. Just keep Flame Orb as the primary option.
Does it matter? There is a item called Toxic Orb, so there should be an option, we aren't trying to see which one poisons the most pokemon, the plan here is to Trick.

Also, I do not like how you say "standard Trick set". There is no "standard Trick set".
"standard trick set" is the one in the first post, its called Trick, so you can't say "there is no standard trick", unless the name changes, thats different.

thanks for those fixes stellar!

Why would you use a move for the sake of using that move? It's like running Hypnosis on Exeggutor when you could use Sleep Powder.

Also, I feel there should be a name change for the reasons I've previously stated in this thread.

Why would you use a move for the sake of using that move? It's like running Hypnosis on Exeggutor when you could use Sleep Powder.

Also, I feel there should be a name change for the reasons I've previously stated in this thread.
Using a toxic orb with trick allows you to use Clefable as a status absorber whereas toxic does not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)