Clefable (Update) [GP 2/2]

OK. Thanks for the help Oglemi. I actually won't be writing the Defensive Calm Mind set because I have no experience using it, so I doubt I would be able tyo write a good analysis up. I also need to re-write the Wallbreaker and Lv. 2 Endeavor sets considering that they don't olook that good ATM.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
All right, so the sets we have up for grabs are

Defensive Calm Mind
Toxic Orb Abuse
Wishfull Stalling

Let's get them filled people!

Aeron Ee1

Nom nom nom
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
i'll take toxic orb abuse, and if i finish that quickly enough, i'll take others. might take a while though, because of chemistry st00f, so anyone wanna take it from me you're free to do so.

SilentVerse

Into the New World
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'll reserve Wishful Stalling, since I used that set a bunch when I laddered in UU. It's also partially written, so it won't take too much time away from my other analysis's.

Wait, shouldn't the mention of a bulkier spread in the Calm Mind set be removed considering the facvt that there's going to be a defensive Calm Mind set written up?

Aeron Ee1

Nom nom nom
urm.. what are the evs on the toxic orb set, which i'm renaming attacking lead, supposed to be for? pk gaming didn't even mention this set in his reply btw.. >_>

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Actually I think me, Bluewind, and PK decided to just drop the Toxic Orb set and add it to another one... I can't remember which one though. I think the Wallbreaker.

Oglemi

Borf
Yeah, Aeron you can take the Dual Screen set if you still want to write something. The Toxic Orb set was supposed to be merged with the Wallbreaker.

So BL, if you could do that when you write it up, that'd be fantastic.

Yeah, Aeron you can take the Dual Screen set if you still want to write something. The Toxic Orb set was supposed to be merged with the Wallbreaker.

So BL, if you could do that when you write it up, that'd be fantastic.

How exactly should I go by merging it? I assume i'm going to put it in Ac, but I just want to make sure.

Aeron Ee1

Nom nom nom
nah, i've already written a dual screen set. i was going for toxic orb abuse since the guts-less status abuser was kind of a set i had not yet written up before. if you really don't want to write it up i can still take it though. =P you're the better writer anyway.

Oglemi

Borf
Alright, I got the Support and Dual Screen sets written.

I still need someone to volunteer to take the Defensive Calm Mind set!

Thanks Oglemi, Unofrtunatley, now i've run into a dellima; all the parts I've written so far have used "she", but you've used "it". I don't know whether to request if the analysis use "she" or to go back through my writing and change them to "it".

I'll change it to she, don't worry. I'll edit here when I've finished.
Thank you so much!

Oglemi

Borf
I'll change it to she, don't worry. I'll edit here when I've finished.

EDIT: OK, I think I got everything.

SilentVerse

Into the New World
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Here's the Wishful Stalling set (I changed the name to Stall though since that's what's currently on-site):

[SET]
name: Stall

move 1: Wish
move 2: Protect
move 3: Seismic Toss
move 4: Toxic / Heal Bell
item: Leftovers
ability: Magic Guard
nature: Careful
evs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Clefable is unarguably one of the best stallers in the UU metagame. This stems from her immunity to all kinds of passive damage; notably, this includes an immunity to damaging statuses such as burn and Toxic, and entry hazards, which would usually cripple other walls. In addition to this, Clefable packs great overall defenses, pseudo-instant recovery in the form of Wish and Protect, and Seismic Toss to deal consistent damage against foes that can utilize Taunt to shut Clefable down. However, aside from stalling, Clefable can also provide some valuable team support via Wish and Toxic or Heal Bell, which means that she isn't completely useless when she can't stall. Toxic is always useful to cripple opposing walls that are difficult to beat otherwise, such as Milotic, whereas Heal Bell's ability to cure your team of status can easily prove useful against opponents who possess Pokemon that like to abuse status-inducing moves.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Clefable's EVs are geared towards her Special Defense stat, as specially offensive threats are easier for Clefable to deal with than physically based ones. This is partially due to the fact that all the Fighting-types in UU use physical attacks, and Clefable has little hope of sponging physical hits from the likes of Hitmonlee or Hariyama, whereas she is perfectly capable of taking on special attacks from the likes of Venusaur. However, a more physically defensive spread is still usable, since Clefable still has enough Defense to take on foes such as Rhyperior and Donphan, though Clefable does a worse job at this role than a Pokemon like Leafeon, who boasts considerably more Defense and a super effective STAB move to take on these Pokemon with.</p>

<p>There are numerous changes that can be made to this set. Cosmic Power can give Clefable more stall power, and thanks to her immunity to dangerous statuses such as Toxic, Clefable is one of, if not the best user of the move. However, it leaves Clefable susceptible to being pseudo-hazed, and using Cosmic Power will cause Clefable to drop either Seismic Toss or Toxic. Losing either is not particularly desirable, as it leaves Clefable a veritable sitting duck against many foes. Without Toxic, Clefable isn't stalling without major support, and without Seismic Toss, Clefable is walled by every Pokemon who is immune to Toxic, most of which can simply take the opportunity to setup. Ice Beam with a Calm nature is an option over Seismic Toss to hit Ghost-types, who would otherwise be able to switch into Clefable with ease and shut her down with either Substitute or Taunt, but aside from that, it will do less against most opponents. Softboiled is an option if you find that Clefable needs a less time-consuming form of recovery, or if you want both Heal Bell and Toxic on the same set, though Wish and Protect are easily superior for stalling purposes.</p>

<p>Residual damage is the greatest addition to this set, bar none. Toxic Spikes in particular are a great asset, since they are the easiest way of causing poison status without wasting a moveslot. Drapion and the previously mentioned Cloyster both are great Toxic Spikers, though Drapion may be the better choice because it lacks a Fighting-type weakness which happens to be shared by Clefable. Toxic Spikes can be absorbed by Poison-type Pokemon, so having a counter to the most common Poison-types in Venusaur, Drapion, and Toxicroak is a good idea. Donphan is able to handle the latter two reliably with his STAB Earthquake and great bulk, while Arcanine or Moltres are able to defeat the ubiquitous Venusaur. Due to how much Clefable appreciates entry hazards, Ghost-types are useful to block Rapid Spin. Mismagius, Rotom, and Spiritomb are ideal Pokemon for this job, and they can even use Will-O-Wisp to burn Pokemon who are immune to Toxic. Ironically, Clefable is walled herself by the former two Pokemon if they possess Taunt or Substitute, and Spiritomb makes a magnificent counter to them due to his ability to trap and KO them with Pursuit.</p>

<p>Stat-boosting Pokemon tend to give Clefable trouble as well; due to her poor offensive prowess (Seismic Toss just doesn't cut it against many foes), many Pokemon can set up with ease. RestTalk Calm Mind Uxie, for example, will take little damage from Seismic Toss and will be able to set up a plethora of Calm Minds before Resting away Toxic and any accumulated damage. To deal with such foes, pseudo-hazers, and Haze Milotic are the best options; the latter of which possessing monstrous defenses and a great typing to take on most stat-boosting threats. Defensive Venusaur is a fantastic phazers, as he can check a multitude of different threats depending on whether not he is physically defensive or specially defensive. Specially defensive Venusaur can take on Mismagius and Rotom, not really minding burns thanks to Heal Bell support from Clefable, while physically defensive Venusaur can check Rhyperior and Feraligatr. In addition to this, phazers can also take advantage of the entry hazards that Clefable enjoys, since they can shuffle the opposing team around and rack up damage with them.</p>

Got the Wallbreaker set done. Will go and see the best way to handle the removel of the defensive EV mention on the Calm Mind set, and then re-write the Endeavour set.

You might want to explain why Clefable is usually 252/252+ SpD (e.g. on the dual screen set). Yes those EVs give maximum special bulk, but why do you want maximum special bulk? Why not maximum physical bulk? Why is Clefable more adept at walling special sweepers compared to physical? Comparatively, other Pokemon like Uxie go 252/252+ Def, and it's ostensibly because of the "physically based metagame". Why shouldn't Clefable do the same?

Also (very quickly skimming through this):

<p>It seems rediculous to think that Clefable could pull off a wallbreaker set when there's offensive behemoths like Blaziken, who sports 120/110 attacking stats to Clefables rather meager 70/85. However, Clefable's ability negates the recoil from Life Orb and Double-Edge, which when combined with Softboiled to heal off any damage Clefable sustains, makes Clefable an almost prefect wallbreaker. Double-Edge plows through walls like Chansey, managing a guranteed 2HKO even without entry hazards. Fire Blast roasts Grass- and Steel-types like Venusaur and Registeel, while Grass Knot trips up Rhyperior and Slowbro. Softboiled keeps Clefable in tip-top shape so she can continue to break down the opposing team.</p>
*ridiculous

I can volunteer to take the Defensive CM set. I've used it on a few teams and I know how to play it, so I should be able to get a pretty decent write-up. Also, seeing as the end of school is right around the corner, I should have the time to do it.

BL, if you've got a skeleton for it, can you PM it to me? I'd like to see what you wanted to have mentioned.

Figured I'd give Gen 4 UU one last hurrah before it disappears forever =P

Thanks EonADS. But i'm sorry, I don't have a skeleton due to not working on it at all. You should be fine if you just mention how it can set-up on a lot more things on teams due to the extra bulk, but that it lacks a large amount of power, making it set-up on by a larger amount of Pokemon. Basically just mention advantages it has over the offensive Calm Mind set and you should be good.

Hm. I think I have a few ideas running around then. Thanks. It'll probably take me a bit to get used to the initial writeup, but I'll do fine.

EDIT: Does somebody want to tell me specifically what the 44 SpA EVs do? I can't find anything in particular, either unboosted or at +1.

Got everything I was supposed to do done. Just waiting on EonADS to get the defensive Calm Mind written up. (If anyone wants me to add more to the Chcecks and Counters sectrion, tell me.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)