1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Please refer to this thread for the current Smogon Tier Lists.
  3. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

clefairy in vgc

Discussion in 'VGC' started by holla at ya jellicent, Jun 16, 2013.

1. holla at ya jellicent

holla at ya jellicent

I'm shocked no one has even made a smogon article about clefairy. With her dreamworld ability friend guard and access to support moves like follow me and thunder wave, I can't believe Im the only one I've ever seen use her competitively. I use her with eviolite and follow me to allow sweepers/ trick roomers to set up, then annihilate the opposing team. My trick room team is 6-0 on the vgc server and it literally couldn't function without her. Mad niggas is screwin up by underestimating this pink puff. Before you count her out, eviolite and a 252 HP/156 def/ 100 spdef spread with a bold nature can tank anything but physical fighting moves most of the time. Friend guard lets teammates tank hits and hit back hard. Also using my dubs team on battle subway ive hit over 56 and still havent lost. Anyone who wants to refute this is welcome, but don't bash her until you know how good she really is.
  2. lucariojr

lucariojr quell the storm and ride the thundurus
    is a Contributor to Smogon

why use clefairy when you can use jigglypuff
    cxinlee likes this.
  3. breh

breh
    is a Smogon IRC AOP

In all seriousness, the reason that clefairy isn't that great is mostly its fairly mediocre defenses. It's a goddamn shame that gf gave such a cool ability to such a mediocre pokemon - its defenses are below those of togekiss and it can't muster up any kind of offense like it can. As cool as it may seem, until it gets a Fairy-type (and then starts to be able to eat dmeteors... which is cool at the very least), I'd suggest picking something else for now.

E: That clefairy has 93% of the bulk of that togekiss and, frankly, why a Togekiss is trying to outspeed max speed hitmontop is beyond me (since running max speed hitmontop seems awfully unusual). I realize Clefairy's defenses aren't extremely shoddy per se, but being able to be OHKOed by Fight Gem CC from hitmontop is not something in its favor.
  4. ΩDonut

ΩDonut don't glaze me bro
    is a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon

Oh, really?

176 HP\135 Def\162 SpDef on a 244 HP\172 Def\92 SpDef Calm Clefairy after Eviolite
    192 HP\133 Def\165 SpDef on a 252 HP\140 Def\116 SpDef Calm Togekiss - note that Togekiss generally runs 180 Speed EVs to outspeed Hitmontop

Basically the same defense stats as Togekiss after the Eviolite boost (minus 16 HP) and doesn't have those pesky Rock\Ice\Electric weaknesses either.

However, Togekiss brings to the table arguably better support in the form of Tailwind and Air Slash flinches. The immunity to Ground moves lets it pair well with Earthquake users. It's also not weak to the Fighting moves often redirected by Follow Me, and it can have reliable recovery in the form of Roost (Clefairy has Wish at best).

As for the guy who posted this thread: no comment.
  5. holla at ya jellicent

holla at ya jellicent

Friend guard and her lower speed make her better than togekiss on my trick room team...I'm sure there are several kids out there pissed as hell that I stomped their team while using a clefairy
  6. ΩDonut

ΩDonut don't glaze me bro
    is a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon

Since Follow Me and Fake Out have the same priority, Togekiss has to be faster than Hitmontop to redirect Fake Out, not to mention flinch it with Air Slash. Max speed Hitmontop is not uncommon either, and it was used on a winning team of the guy who is currently in first place for VGC Championship Points, citing the need for a fast Close Combat nuke. I use it myself.

I would also be remiss if I didn't point out that Biosci recently used speedy Togekiss, beating me and TV-Rocka to win the 3rd Smogon VGC tournament.
  7. Biosci

Biosci !
    is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a VGC3 Winner

Togekiss hitting that Speed tier is also cool to outspeed Modest Ludicolo in Rain after Tailwind, max Speed Modest Politoed, and for those suckers who run Adamant Breloom instead of Jolly.

Though I only give it that much Speed because the one I use has a Timid nature, so I just figured why not.

To the OP, if you're just using a Pokemon in hope to make people rage on the ladder you're probably doing it wrong. You're right, Clefairy has lots of potent support for it's teammates with Follow Me, Friend Guard, Thunder Wave, Helping Hand, Gravity, etc. but it can really suck for that fact that it can't do any damage to the other team. I've considered it myself to be honest, but I only got steered away back to Togekiss thanks to better(At least I think so) typing and the ability to not only do more damage but also have a pseudo-fake out with Air Slash. It's cool that you have some use out of it though
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  8. holla at ya jellicent

holla at ya jellicent

The whole point of clefairy isn't the rage factor or out speeding hitmontop for my team, its to ensure trick room goes up and then be able to "out slow" opponents with toxic/ seismic toss or just absorb attacks with follow me while reuniclus obliterates with psychic, shadow ball and focus blast. The set I normally use is:

Clefairy (b*tchPuddin)
    Friend guard
    Eviolite
    252hp/156 def/100 spdef
    Bold

Follow me
    Toxic/seismic toss
    Soft boiled
    Protect

I realize she can be taunt bait without s toss, but even if she gets taunted, trick room still goes up. Like I said, most of the time I just use her as a sponge to get off as many reuniclus attacks as possible or protect if I sense a strong fighting move, which is good anyway since the move wasn't aimed at reuniclus anyway. I just recently got into competitive battling about a month ago, but this is my most successful team by far to date. I'm saying criticisms or ideas would be helpful, but I truly haven't seen a better fit for her job
  9. tlyee61

tlyee61

what do the EVs do?
  10. Kentucky Fried Colonel

Kentucky Fried Colonel

I don't play vgc, but isn't the whole point of clefairy is just to use friend guard?
  11. Organization Member XIV

Organization Member XIV

Im assuming he made a typo.
  12. Agonist

Agonist You were my last great war, you were my heaven ablaze
    is a Forum Moderator

Considering that Seismic Toss is illegal with Friend Guard, it may not be typo.
  13. holla at ya jellicent

holla at ya jellicent

Clefairy absorbs hits with follow me while reuniclus blasts the competition. Friend guard makes spread moves do less damage...and yea, I meant friend guard...I started talking about reuniclus which got me thinking of magic guard. Weird coincidence that she has it too I guess.
  14. Trigunner

Trigunner

Softboiled + Friend Guard is illegal too.
  15. Alfalfa

Alfalfa Banned deucer.

Yeah. Softboiled and Seismic Toss come from the Game Boy Advance games, not from BW2. Thus, they are illegal with Friend Guard.
  16. The Knights of Wario Land

The Knights of Wario Land

The thing with Clefairy is that all the other Follow Me/Rage Powder users are resistant to Fighting but Clefairy is weak to it, having just generic typing overall, not allowing for any resists. Also, it's mad mad weak to Taunt.
  17. Volty

Volty formerly TeraVoltage

@ the OP, Made me laugh. Cleffairy seems good on paper but it ends up being a thorn in your side should it end up being one of the last pokemon in the battle. Plus theres that it cant use its main attacking options with The ability you need.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)